Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:06 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V32
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '19 (M$)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HKUST MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
1988achilles wrote:
Are all the interview invite given. I haven't heard anything from them. Should I consider " dinged" for HKUST?

I have limited information but surely what you are saying cannot be correct. HKUST's website says that for round 2, Interview Notification would come till Mar 10, 2017. There is a lot of time left; I was in fact surprised to get the interview call so soon. Chin up, you should remain optimistic. Best of luck.

BR,
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Other, Other
Send PM
Re: Calling all HKUST MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
rahulprasad11 wrote:
Same here, received the email in the afternoon. The first interview slot available was on the 6th of Feb.
Should we now immediately mail our transcripts to the admission office or wait till after the interview?

You can provide just the copy of your transcript at this point of time. You have to send the originals after you get your interview decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Interview debrief - R1 candidate (admitted)

My first interview was with a current student. It was a normal conversation. He asked about work profile. Reason to do MBA. Plans post MBA. Why HKUST and what do you intend to gain from the program. Just basic Q & A and you can use the opportunity to get answers to any queries that you may have. The interview lasted for ~25 mins.

The second interview was with two AdComs. Normal Q&A. Your professional journey so far, why MBA, why HUST, why Hong Kong, post-MBA plans. The interview lasted for ~20 mins.

Overall it was a pleasant experience. Be thorough with your past work ex and where you want to go post-HKUST and how HKUST will help you achieve your professional goals.

Since I am not from HK, I just had the option to pick up the skype interview dates. If you want to opt for a one-one interview, you can get in touch with the adCom.

Good luck with interviews and if there is anything you may need help with, do get in touch.
PM me for faster reply :)

Originally posted by harshdeepVaghela on 22 Jan 2017, 22:10.
Last edited by harshdeepVaghela on 30 Jan 2017, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Other, Other
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
I just had the first interview with a current student. The conversation was very interactive, and was mostly about knowing me as a person. It went for about 40mins and I asked her a lot of questions, all of which were answered to my satisfaction.

I have the 2nd interview with the Adcom on 7th Feb.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rbhasin11 wrote:
I just had the first interview with a current student. The conversation was very interactive and was mostly about knowing me as a person. It went for about 40mins, and I asked her a lot of questions, all of which were answered to my satisfaction.

I have the 2nd interview with the Adcom on 7th Feb.

You are lucky. My interview today went horribly. The interviewer was not only egoistic but also racist (both I and him are Indians). The whole point of this conversation he told me at the start of the interview was to gauge me as a potential classmate. Unfortunately, he completely forgot that I would also be doing the same. Sample this: the interview scheduled for 2.30 pm started at 2.45 without much ado from his side, he stopped the interview in between to take a personal call, and I kid you not send a chat reply. Throughout the interview, his intention was only somehow to show the flaw in my reasoning and thinking. If you think his intention was to grill me, then that was also not the case because, after my response, he would give his views and move on to the next question without allowing me to revert. He was extremely condescending about the companies I have worked in as he had no idea about their workings. When I explained about the niche products these companies had developed and their revenues streams, his response was "huh..ok". I am not kidding; this was happening in my MBA interview, I simply could not believe it and was left flabbergasted. I somehow kept my composure and at the end came the time for me to ask questions. I asked him about his experience so far at hkust, and he answered this query for a total of 12 mins without giving me the chance to intervene. These 12 mins covered such unnecessary sub-topics as how people in his old company could not believe that he went for an MBA because he was earning big time. Also included were topics like how European students enjoy their weekends partying and he did not approve their behaviour. Also, his feeling about the Indian batchmates was that he just could not believe that those people were Indians because of their behaviour and so on. At this point, if you are thinking huh??, then just imagine my state of mind when I was going through one of the most important interviews of my life. To keep this message short, I am going to skip talking about his opinions on my goals and the FT ranking of HKUST!

The interview went on for 47 mins, and at the end of it, I was left thinking whether I should just withdraw my application before the next interview on the 6th of Feb. I am not exaggerating; it was a horrendous experience. The interviewer is the vice president of a prestigious club at HKUST, and if he represents the students there, I am wondering if I should even consider joining such an institution.
Do not get me wrong. I am no superstar candidate who the colleges are lining up to take in and in fact, have no offer on my plate currently, but still I am seriously considering withdrawing my application. It pains that this stupidity had to happen at such an important institution as HKUST. :cry: :cry:

Originally posted by rahulprasad11 on 31 Jan 2017, 09:54.
Last edited by rahulprasad11 on 31 Jan 2017, 15:05, edited 2 times in total.
One should go by the feel that he/she gets about the school. In the end it's all about the fit. If you aren't happy, then the MBA wouldn't be as much as an enjoyable experience as it should have been otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3606 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
rahulprasad11 and rbhasin11

When did you guys receive email for the interview with the current student?
I have also been invited. I scheduled my interview with the Adcom on 8th Feb. I am yet to receive any email for my interview with the current student/ alum. Should I be worried? Should I contact the Admissions Office?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nalinnair wrote:

I have also been invited. I scheduled my interview with the Adcom on 8th Feb. I am yet to receive any email for my interview with the current student/ alum. Should I be worried? Should I contact the Admissions Office?

I received the interview invite about 15-20 days back. I scheduled the adcom interview (Part B) instantly, and the mail mentioned that I would be contacted by the current student for the other interview (Part A). I got an email from the student on Saturday and I took the appointment for today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rbhasin11 wrote:
nalinnair wrote:

I received the interview invite about 15-20 days back. I scheduled the adcom interview (Part B) instantly, and the mail mentioned that I would be contacted by the current student for the other interview (Part A). I got an email from the student on Saturday and I took the appointment for today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Further to what rbhasin11 has said, the email, received on the 17th of Jan, describing the interview process stated "Our alumnus / current student, XXX, will contact you directly to arrange a Skype or face-to-face interview. Please expect an e-mail from them in the coming 2-3 weeks."
If you had also received the said email on the 17th, then probably you can wait until the end of this week before sending an email to the ad com. No need to be worried.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
krutik123 wrote:
One should go by the feel that he/she gets about the school. In the end, it's all about the fit. If you aren't happy, then the MBA wouldn't be as much as an enjoyable experience as it should have been otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Krutik,

I agree completely with your assessment, but at this stage, I have decided to play along. I am waiting for the decision from NUS, CUHK and Copenhagen Business schools. I hope I get in either at NUS or Copenhagen. Frankly, I doubt that this guy would have given me even a neutral review on account of the opinion he had of me.

Haha, I just remembered one more thing. The interviewer brought up FT-2017 rankings, so I commended the stupendous rise that HKUST has seen over the last decade, congratulated him as well as the school for being in the top 15 and so on. Then I just said that there is a bit of a discrepancy between HKUST ranks in FT and the Economist, so HKUST should look to also address that. His response - " The Economist also ranks b-schools! Huh, I did not know that(with that smirk on his face). Anyway only FT rank matters!"

BR,
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
hi all,

I submit my application to HKUST in round 2 deadline, and I got invited to an interview quite early on 13th January.
They sent me an email to confirm the interview date which would be on the 19th January
and the other interview would be with a current student of HKUST.
She emailed me the very next day, and we agreed to have a skype interview on 18th January

So basically, I have 2 interviews in 24 hours.. The questions are very common, why MBA, why Hong Kong, what is your post MBA career plan and so on... They also asked about how you will contribute to the class, and if you were in a situation where 2 of your study groups are arguing, what will you do..

If you guys have an experience on interview throughout your application, it will be sufficient. Just be prepared.

In my opinion, both interviews went quite well, although I think I could be more elaborate when answering the questions (anxiety can make your whole brain goes blank)

But in the end, I got the good news just a week after the interviews on 27th January.
I got accepted at HKUST business school with partial merit scholarship..

well, that's my experience... Hope to get in touch with my future classmates here...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rahulprasad11 wrote:
You are lucky. My interview today went horribly. The interviewer was not only egoistic but also racist (both I and him are Indians). The whole point of this conversation he told me at the start of the interview was to gauge me as a potential classmate. Unfortunately, he completely forgot that I would also be doing the same. Sample this: the interview scheduled for 2.30 pm started at 2.45 without much ado from his side, he stopped the interview in between to take a personal call, and I kid you not send a chat reply. Throughout the interview, his intention was only somehow to show the flaw in my reasoning and thinking. If you think his intention was to grill me, then that was also not the case because, after my response, he would give his views and move on to the next question without allowing me to revert. He was extremely condescending about the companies I have worked in as he had no idea about their workings. When I explained about the niche products these companies had developed and their revenues streams, his response was "huh..ok". I am not kidding; this was happening in my MBA interview, I simply could not believe it and was left flabbergasted. I somehow kept my composure and at the end came the time for me to ask questions. I asked him about his experience so far at hkust, and he answered this query for a total of 12 mins without giving me the chance to intervene. These 12 mins covered such unnecessary sub-topics as how people in his old company could not believe that he went for an MBA because he was earning big time. Also included were topics like how European students enjoy their weekends partying and he did not approve their behaviour. Also, his feeling about the Indian batchmates was that he just could not believe that those people were Indians because of their behaviour and so on. At this point, if you are thinking huh??, then just imagine my state of mind when I was going through one of the most important interviews of my life. To keep this message short, I am going to skip talking about his opinions on my goals and the FT ranking of HKUST!

The interview went on for 47 mins, and at the end of it, I was left thinking whether I should just withdraw my application before the next interview on the 6th of Feb. I am not exaggerating; it was a horrendous experience. The interviewer is the vice president of a prestigious club at HKUST, and if he represents the students there, I am wondering if I should even consider joining such an institution.
Do not get me wrong. I am no superstar candidate who the colleges are lining up to take in and in fact, have no offer on my plate currently, but still I am seriously considering withdrawing my application. It pains that this stupidity had to happen at such an important institution as HKUST. :cry: :cry:

Just had my 2nd interview an hour ago. Contrary to my interview with a current student, this interview with 2 ad-com members went very well.
It was a friendly but very thorough interview that lasted for half an hour and more than made up for my bad experience in the first interview.

In addition to the standard MBA interview questions, an unusual and unexpected question asked was: "Describe the product that you conceptualised and your role in the start-up to an eight-year-old. " The question had me stumped, and I made two attempts to ans the question. My first attempt was the usual description of my role, and all of us knew that I had not answered their question correctly.
At this point, we had a big laugh, and I asked them to give me another opportunity to ans the same, and they did. The interviewer's response at this moment is why I say it was a good interview because they could have very easily given me a bad feedback for this ans and gone ahead or grilled me for my fallacy. Instead, they gave me a chance to make amends.

At the end of the interview, I had to tell them that I have an offer from NUS and have to accept it by the 15th. So, I requested them to kindly let me know the result of my application by then. The panel told me that they are interviewing a lot of candidates during this period, but they will update the ad-com of my situation.

Overall, to all prospective candidates (some of whom have pinged me and were concerned about their interviews because of my bad experience in the 1st interview) - Do not worry and just go into the interview with an open mind and put in your best effort. Everyone's experience is different; this two-round interview process is considerably fair and gives us an opportunity to come back if things do not go according to our plans.
Best of luck, do well!

BR,
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
That's great Rahul. I wish you all the best and may you get admitted to the school of your choice.

rahulprasad11 wrote:
rahulprasad11 wrote:

Just had my 2nd interview an hour ago. Contrary to my interview with a current student, this interview with 2 ad-com members went very well.
It was a friendly but very thorough interview that lasted for half an hour and more than made up for my bad experience in the first interview.

In addition to the standard MBA interview questions, an unusual and unexpected question asked was: "Describe the product that you conceptualised and your role in the start-up to an eight-year-old. " The question had me stumped, and I made two attempts to ans the question. My first attempt was the usual description of my role, and all of us knew that I had not answered their question correctly.
At this point, we had a big laugh, and I asked them to give me another opportunity to ans the same, and they did. The interviewer's response at this moment is why I say it was a good interview because they could have very easily given me a bad feedback for this ans and gone ahead or grilled me for my fallacy. Instead, they gave me a chance to make amends.

At the end of the interview, I had to tell them that I have an offer from NUS and have to accept it by the 15th. So, I requested them to kindly let me know the result of my application by then. The panel told me that they are interviewing a lot of candidates during this period, but they will update the ad-com of my situation.

Overall, to all prospective candidates (some of whom have pinged me and were concerned about their interviews because of my bad experience in the 1st interview) - Do not worry and just go into the interview with an open mind and put in your best effort. Everyone's experience is different; this two-round interview process is considerably fair and gives us an opportunity to come back if things do not go according to our plans.
Best of luck, do well!

BR,
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CEIBS '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
Send PM
I had my first interview with a current student on Saturday and the second interview with two ad-com members yesterday. My experience of both these interviews was positive. I had met this current student before the interview, during a coffee chat in Mumbai and I found him to be very friendly and helpful. Both the ad-com members were also very pleasant to talk to.

While in the first interview I was asked typical MBA interview questions, the second interview had some variation. I was asked to explain what I do, at the leadership magazine I work for, to an eight year old. I was also asked for my response to a hypothetical situation of conflict between two of my team-mates. At the end of the interview, I was told that they will get back to me with a decision in two weeks.

Wish you all, the very best with your applications.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just finished my 2nd interview, with the Adcom. There were 2 members on the panel, but only one of them was asking all the questions. I don't think it went very well as I was a little anxious. She started by asking about my interaction with the student a week back and asked about the things that we had discussed. Then she went on to ask the normal questions (Why HK, why HKUST, future goals). I was also asked 2 unexpected questions that had me stumped:

1. Explain your role, past experience and work profile to an 8 year old.
2. How would you describe a consulting profile/business to an 8 year old?

I don't think I answered the 2nd question very well. They said they would get back with a decision in 3-4 weeks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts