Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:55 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:55
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36924 [51]
Given Kudos: 5834
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36924 [1]
Given Kudos: 5834
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Patterns among those who scored 750+ [2022 Edition!] [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
CrackVerbalShree wrote:
Sajjad1994

This is quite an effort for sure!

However, my two cents - this is a very misleading post! The sample size here is literally 66 people! may be a few added if we remove the duplicates.

200000 people take GMAT every year :)

Regards,
Shree

Hello Shree

I partially agree with you, I haven't made any claim at a global level but rather the generalizability of this post is limited to the GMAT Club and its members. I have taken these debriefs posted by our members. There could be thousands of in-person courses of which we have no data.

Regards
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [6]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
CrackVerbalShree wrote:
Sajjad1994

This is quite an effort for sure!

However, my two cents - this is a very misleading post! The sample size here is literally 66 people! may be a few added if we remove the duplicates.

200000 people take GMAT every year :)

Regards,
Shree

Thank you for the feedback. It would be helpful in what the misleading part is...

And A few clarifications:

1. The number of people taking the GMAT is probably around 100K/year or even fewer. The number of tests was 180K in 2020 https://www.gmac.com/-/media/files/gmac ... 6-2020.pdf and that does not account for retakes. There is a more recent data/file but I can't seem to locate it for the 2021.

2. You are correct in the sense that we do not have data for 100K or 200K people but we specifically are focusing on those who scored 750 or above. We do not want to know what someone they used if they scored 340... or maybe we do so we can recommend people not use it. :lol:

3. In any case, if we are focusing on the 1%, then it is only 1K people and while 66 is only 6.6% of the total, the result would provide a 90% confidence level with a 10% margin of error based on this calculator: https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/calculating-sample-size/
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5216 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
3. In any case, if we are focusing on the 1%, then it is only 1K people and while 66 is only 6.6% of the total, the result would provide a 90% confidence level with a 10% margin of error based on this calculator: https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/calculating-sample-size/

Just for accuracy's sake, it's 66 from three years, rather than 66 from one year. The information is still interesting though.
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
It seems to me the point here is about helping test-takers to feel confident that their prep approach and combination of tools they're using is the best possible.

Statistics like these are one part of that decision making process.

The other part is recommendations from trustworthy sources like friends who have been through it before and experts like those here.

I think the only gap is understanding the incremental value (both in terms of reducing prep time and increasing score potential) of more premium help like expert performance coaches and group classes.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37900 posts