Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618874 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Eval [#permalink]
I will be applying this year for class of 2018 starting next year.
My work exp is 5.5 calculated till Dec this year.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Eval [#permalink]
mba2016in wrote:
I will be applying this year for class of 2018 starting next year.
My work exp is 5.5 calculated till Dec this year.

Posted from my mobile device

The school would view this as 6 years at matriculation. That could be slightly on the higher side.
Other than that, I don't see any red flags.
Have your profile evaluated by a competent consultant. There are many who offer free 30 min evaluations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
RG800 wrote:
mba2016in wrote:
Hi,
I am an Indian male engineer currently working as Telecom engineer at global telecom giant.
Academics: Btech(9.2 out of 10 CGPA) from a top engineer college
Total work experience: 5.5 years
International exposure: Yes
GMAT: 720/800
Is it safe to apply with this profile?

When are you planning to apply?
Is 5.5 you work exp now or when you would apply or at matriculation?

Hi Applicant,
I am a recent UNC KFBS graduate of 2014 and I had 7 years of work experience when I started the school. Although the typical avg. is mentioned on the website, by statistical definition, that is an average, which means that there are people outside of that range too. In my class, I knew at least 10-15 students who had more than 6 years of work ex. I had done lot of research when I was applying to buz. schools and what I can tell you now that I have graduated from a top tier school that all boils down to 2 things:
1) pool of applicants applying (competition) 2) overall fit with the school (includes what you offer, what you expect, and cultural fit). You can not control point 1, but you certainly can point 2. All the more matters how you convey point 2. So research the schools you are interested in, find out what they stand for and what they expect, and what differentiated value you bring to the class. Of course, the more away on the down side you are from GMAT, GPA averages of the concerned school, the more burden you have on point 2 mentioned above. Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you have more questions.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
mba2016in wrote:
Hi,
I am an Indian male engineer currently working as Telecom engineer at global telecom giant.
Academics: Btech(9.2 out of 10 CGPA) from a top engineer college
Total work experience: 5.5 years
International exposure: Yes
GMAT: 720/800
Is it safe to apply with this profile?

It's a pretty good profile.. what are you concerned about?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi
I am an Indian female with an engineering background. I will be applying to B schools in US this year for a two year MBA program. I am looking for a profile evaluation so that I can find the best fit and shortlist schools that I have a chance of getting into. I hope to specialize in Operations/Supply Chain/Consulting. Please evaluate my profile for Kenan-Flagler.

GMAT: 720 (49Q/40V)
GPA: ~3.63 (9.08/10)
Degree: B.Tech(Information Technology) from VIT University,Vellore
Experience: 2 years in an IT firm as a software developer ( 3 years till I join the program)
Extracurricular: I have some experience working as a volunteer for various events in college , serving as an NSS volunteer, etc. But I don't have any experience in professional leadership/managerial roles. Some experience in managing office events and display of good leadership qualities within the team.

Please evaluate my profile so I know if I should try for Kenan-Flagler or there is no chance of getting an admit at all ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hey! I am from VIT too and I got in for class of 2008. I have messaged you my email ID. Happy to help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: LBS '19
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hello All -
I gave my GMAT a couple of days ago and got a score of 720(Q50/V38). I need advice on the schools that I can apply to with my score and have a realistic chance of admission being an Indian applicant. Below is a brief on my profile:

Graduation: Mechanical Engineering(Passed out in 2013) - GPA: 3.5(according to WES)
Work Experience: 39 months in sales and marketing at ExxonMobil Corporation and currently working as an operations manager at NEED(Network for Economic and Entrepreneurship Development ; It's a non-profit organization based out of Lucknow, India)
Extra-Curriculars: school and college Football team, Squash and Swimming school teams ; Acted in and directed Choreos during college ; Part of organizing committee of a number of college fests and led the marketing team during a couple of fests.
Volunteer work: Part of a number of volunteer activities during college and work at EM(house building, teaching, roadshows etc).

Interest: Marketing and Strategy

Thanks.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohanmishra26 wrote:
Hello All -
Hi @Rohanmishra26- First of all thanks for reaching out. I think I can give you some pretty good information as I was on the adcom of Kenan-Flagler for 15 yrs. My comments will be below:
I gave my GMAT a couple of days ago and got a score of 720(Q50/V38). I need advice on the schools that I can apply to with my score and have a realistic chance of admission being an Indian applicant. Below is a brief on my profile:This GMAT is not going to keep you out but nor is it going to be a slam dunk to get you in. However, I like the ExxonMobil work experience as Kenan-Flagler has some great relationships there and I like the sales and marketing work as it is not something everyone in your pool can bring. I also like the ops manager work at NEED. In your application highlight how you progressed at ExxonMobil- or even better have your recommender comment on your progression relative to peers. Also highlight why you are working at NEED and how this fits into your long term plans. You can set yourself apart with strong research on Kenan-Flagler and we at Stratus have some great experience here and so even a few hours of consultation can be very helpful if you'd like to do that. Here's a link for 5% off- and we could even just do an hour where I can help you prepare more specifically if that is of interest. I would look at some of the leadership rotational programs which might be an easier pathway to employment. Happy to help if you'd like more info- otherwise I absolutely suggest R2- coming soon or R3 but definitely not R4. If you have not yet started I would give yourself the time to do R3 so that you can put together a thoughtful application as you are in that bubble area where your best chances will include a very specific and well researched application on why Kenan-Flagler. Best wishes!

Graduation: Mechanical Engineering(Passed out in 2013) - GPA: 3.5(according to WES)
Work Experience: 39 months in sales and marketing at ExxonMobil Corporation and currently working as an operations manager at NEED(Network for Economic and Entrepreneurship Development ; It's a non-profit organization based out of Lucknow, India)
Extra-Curriculars: school and college Football team, Squash and Swimming school teams ; Acted in and directed Choreos during college ; Part of organizing committee of a number of college fests and led the marketing team during a couple of fests.
Volunteer work: Part of a number of volunteer activities during college and work at EM(house building, teaching, roadshows etc).

Interest: Marketing and Strategy

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM

Originally posted by ron92 on 08 Dec 2016, 07:00.
Last edited by ron92 on 23 Jan 2017, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sagarkalra92 wrote:
Hi All

I am planning to apply to UNC in R2 and would love if some one could evaluate my profile and help me put the best foot forward during my application.

Please find below the details of my work experience.

GMAT-710( Q49, V37, IR5, AWA-5)

WORK EXPERIENCE:

RLARD ENGITECH PVT.LTD (Start-up) (August 2016-Present)
Head-Sales & Marketing

•Implemented ideas to expand the customer base and helped in streamlining the online product channel.
•Hosted workshops to spread awareness about the product.

AXIS RISK CONSULTING PVT.LTD. (March 2015-July 2016)
Associate Consultant

•Member of IC COE team for Mondelex International- designed the RCM and monitored the risk and control framework of North America and Bratislava Region.
•Member of Internal Audit Team for Dabur International- Independently reviewed -Sales, Logistics, Production and Payroll processes- highlighted process loopholes and provided recommendations to the top management
•Lead the GE India Dresser site and ensured ICFR compliance
•Independently handled the ANZ region for GlaxoSmithKline and ensured appropriate documentation, adequate testing and accurate reporting on financial control activities

SKYTEX INDUSTRIES PVT.LTD. (December 2014-March 2015)
Associate Director

•Oversaw Sales and Marketing for company products
•Provided valuable inputs to minimize production costs and to ensure optimum utilization of resources
•Streamlined the distributor channel to maximize profits.

AXIS RISK CONSULTING PVT.LTD. (July 2013- November 2014)
Senior Analyst
•Independently lead the Beverage Division (North-East Region) and Stales Process (North Region), which included over 100 audits per months, for PepsiCo India and trained over 50 CA Firms
•Received Gold Team Appreciation Award for contribution to Claim Management Project for PepisCo India.
•Regularly inspected Distributor sites of PepsiCo India across the Northern Region of India
•Managed Store Inventory for Vishal Mega Mart which resulted in optimization of the STR (stock transfer ratio) throughout India, reducing the client’s annual inventory management cost by INR 30 Cr.

INTERNSHIPS:

•Finance Intern at Indian Oil Corporation Limited - June 2012 to August 2012
•Marketing Intern at Viacom 18 - January 2012 to February 2012

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:

2010-2013
Delhi University
Hansraj College (B.A. Eco (H))
75.7%

C.B.S.E (XII)
D.P.S, Mathura Road, New Delhi
94%

C.B.S.E (X )
D.P.S, Mathura Road, New Delhi
90.33%

EXTRACURRICULAR INTERESTS, ACTIVITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS:

•Member, Axis’ Fun@ Work Team - organised Fresher’s training, day outs and sports competitions (2014-2016)
•Participated in Axis’ CSR Initiatives (2013-2015) - plantation drive, blood donation drive etc.
•All India Crime Reform Organisation (2011-present) -worked with Delhi Police to reduce the crime rate in locality, made people aware about their rights and civic responsibilities.
•Member, Axis Recruitment Team 2014 – helped in recruitment process and took 1st Round of interviews accompanied by Senior Managers in Delhi University Colleges- SRCC, Hansraj, SSCBS
•Volunteer, AISEC UDAAN 2011- held cultural workshops and various competitions for underprivileged children.
•Dance Society, Hansraj College - represented college at college festivals - BITS OASIS 2010, Rendezvous 2010
•Event Management, Dance, Basketball and meeting new people

From what I see here you have a good shot at getting in if you tell a good story for your career progression. The only thing that may hurt you is the job transitions, but we could talk about the messaging around that. Are you applying to other schools? Your stats are on par for applicants targeting Kenan-Flagler but some do have higher stats so I suggest adding in other schools as well. Contact me if you want to discuss how we can work together. www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.79
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
It looks like you are in a gap. If it is, face and admit it, don't make something up. Because it will make your career development story difficult to explain.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
alzn2765 wrote:
It looks like you are in a gap. If it is, face and admit it, don't make something up. Because it will make your career development story difficult to explain.

I did not understand the meaning of gap? You mean gap in my work experience. If that's so then there is no gap in my professional journey. Its just that due to some circumstances I had to switch my jobs and have a justifiable explanation for the same.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
GPA: 2.79
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
If there is no gap. You may need to address your frequent job switch (4 jobs in 3 years). As long as you could offer reasonable explanation for that. you are fine to apply and get an interview invitation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi, thanks for taking the time to give some feedback, here's my profile. Any commentary/advice/etc. would be much appreciated.

About Me:

Caucasian Male
26 (5 years of work experience)
GMAT: 680
GPA: 3.94 (from a mid-tier west coast private school)
Undergrad: Double degrees in Finance and Economics (Summa Cum Laude in both).

Work Experience

Finance (fairly high visibility role) at a large Silicon Valley tech company (think Google, Apple, Facebook). I've also done a stint overseas as well, not sure if this would be beneficial for my application.

Extracurriculars

Working as a finance mentor with a non-profit organization to advise startups in developing countries on their books and how to best position themselves financially for potential investment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Bump, any feedback you all could give? Thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi John,

in my opinion (I am in no ways an expert on admissions!), you appear to have a competitive profile. Your GMAT is slightly below the average for the school, but that is only one factor. You did not list your career intentions, but in your application I would make sure you are clear in your goals and why KF business school. I am not sure when you are applying (this year or next), but I would recommend interviewing during the open interview period in September/October.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Make sure to self-promote yourself right and you should be a solid profile at any school rank 9 - 15 (Johnson, Darden, Kenan-Flagler,etc.)

G/A/F are all big employers at mba schools so that should be gold to most schools

There should be 3 pillars:

Academic: GPA is gold, GMAT is not bad
Leadership: make sure you highlighted promotion, highly visible projects you worked on. Oversea gigs are always better, if it's highly selective highlight that as well
Extra curricular as a finance mentor is a bit dry, if you help in campus recruiting, workplace initiatives, etc. highlight all of those. You want to stray away from the "finance stereotype"

I think you have a solid chance
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Darden and UNC Moderator
102 posts