It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Probability - when does order matter?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 122

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Probability - when does order matter? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 16:50
Hi All,

I've been trying to get the concept of order clear in my mind, i.e. when does the order need to be accounted for and when does it not? Please comment on whether you agree with following rule and add additional information if you have it. Having looked through the probability guides I could not find a clear answer to this question.

Order matters only when you use consecutive multiplication - in these cases you must find all possible orders in which the desired event can occur.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.42
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Probability - when does order matter? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 14:02
Whether or not order matters will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are selecting 3 people for a team (i.e. you're either on the team or not), order doesn't matter. If you are selecting 3 people for 3 different positions on the team (e.g. president, VP, secretary), order does matter.

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 20:47
okay wrote:
Whether or not order matters will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are selecting 3 people for a team (i.e. you're either on the team or not), order doesn't matter. If you are selecting 3 people for 3 different positions on the team (e.g. president, VP, secretary), order does matter.

Thanks for your reply but I'm talking about order with regard to probability and not just general order.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 16:56
Cez005 wrote:
okay wrote:

Thanks for your reply but I'm talking about order with regard to probability and not just general order.

Hi Cez,

Your understanding is apt. What 'Okay' gave is an example for the rule you wrote.

A general tip that I would like to give you is that whenever you are caught in this dilemma, try to ask yourself, whether it is the case of "selection" or "arrangement". Generally, order does not matter in "selection" and it does so in "selections".

Examples:
1. A team of five is selected from a group of four boys and seven girls. What is the probability that no boy is selected?
A case of selection and hence, the order shall not matter (in numerator as well as denominator).

2. Letters of the word COMPUTER are shuffled. What is the probability that C comes before both O and U?
A case of arrangement and hence, the order shall matter (in numerator as well as denominator).

Hope that helps!

All the best!
Maxximus

GMAT Guidance Program- The Most Exhaustive Self-Prep Program
GMAT Classroom Program in Noida
MBA Admissions Consulting- Admits in Each of the World's top 150 B-Schools | Students from 20+ Countries
GMAT Practice Tests

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 24

Re: Probability - when does order matter?   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2017, 16:56