Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618870 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey there,

I am no admission expert, i recommend talking to one on the other board. You might want to include your extra curricular activities, community involvement, and what kind of positiona you hold. Are you a system developer or a receptionist, something like that.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
secretofreund wrote:
This is my profile:

Gmat - 730(Quant-50;verbal-38)
GPA - 7.93/10 from NIT Calicut( Computer Science and Engineering )
Work Ex - 3+ years in US MNC (in india)

Please tell me my chances of getting into Sloan.what else do i need to apply?How can i improve my profile?

Thanks for the post. In order to best help you, I need some more info:
What company do you work for?
What is your role and how many times have you been promoted?
What has your performance been relative to peers?
What do you do outside of work?

Feel free to post here or email me privately if you prefer not to post these details on the forum. Scott@personalmbacoach.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hello,
Could you please evaluate my profile?

Education: I have both a Master degree from the Chemistry department of Moscow state university (GPA 5.0 out of 5.0) and a Master degree from Financial university in Moscow (GPA 4.9 out of 5.0), Additionally I am a PhD candidate in Quantum chemistry.
Plus, I participated in a few extra no-diploma programs on finance in Russia and in Summer School on Mathematics in Finance in Geneva.

Experience: Currently, I have 4 or 5 years of working experience. I had been working in management consulting at big4 companies, and now I am a head of stream of the big project at Russian Post.

Tests: I have taken GMAT (710 - 50/35 Q/V) and IELTS (8.0)

Extra curriculars: I was a founder of the newspaper at the university and organized sport events there. Additionally, I organized Christmas bazaars at Deloitte.

Race/nationality: Russian/Russia

Sex: Male / 27 years old.

I want to attend HBS, MIT Sloan and INSEAD. I think that I want to apply for an MBA program because I'd like to get an international learning experience, get new friends, and pursue my career in consulting. Actually, MIT Sloan is my dream
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi there!

Your academic achievements are pretty impressive, though a little unusual in the sense that you seem to be going along two parallel streams. Are you currently pursuing your PHD?

Your GMAT score, while not extraordinary, is pretty good. However, it is a few points below the average at MIT sloan, and twenty points below the median at HBS. If you think you can retake the GMAT and achieve a score improvement of a few 10s of points, we'd say..go for it!

Your work-ex looks great too. The only thing you need to do really well is..justify your need for an MBA. Considering that you are already in management consulting in a big-4 company, you need to differentiate what you will do after an MBA, from what you are already doing. You have mentioned that you want to get an international learning experience ( good point), make new friends ( needs to be articulated differently) and pursue consulting ( since you are already IN consulting, talk about how you will be able to accelerate your consulting career, and perform better at it qualitatively, post an MBA).

Hope that helps! If you'd like a more focused profile evaluation, and help with drafting your application, drop us a note at enquiry@crackverbal.com!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing your profile.

Strong academics helps show your academic potential.

Showing how your PhD in Quantum Chemistry would help your career in Consulting could help leverage this into a differentiator from the other similarly accomplished applicants competing for slots in these top schools.

Examples of strong accomplishments and innovation would also help show your fit.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
(delete)

Originally posted by standyonda on 19 Sep 2016, 16:58.
Last edited by standyonda on 30 Nov 2016, 13:06, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
If you get that high GMAT score you've got a good shot. Make sure your goals align with what the mFin can get you career wise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

Please evaluate my profile as an international applicant for the MBA program at Sloan

Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in Commerce(3 year course with a GPA of 3.4)
Masters Qualification: Masters in Global Business (16 month program in Singapore and Dubai. Unfortunately, my GPA here is extremely low: 2.5 though I took a number of challenging courses)
GMAT: 730
Work experience: 3.5 years, all of it in market research. Of the 3.5 years, 2.5 years were in the Middle East and a year in India
Extracurriculars: Moderate: represented my state in tennis, wrote for a sports website for a year etc. Have also done community service for 3 months where I taught English and Maths to 10 year old children
References: Will be able to get some strong references from people in senior management at both my work places so far

Do you think I stand a realistic chance and it's worth applying?

Thanks in advance!

Varun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

Please evaluate my profile as an international applicant for the MBA program at Sloan

Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in Commerce(3 year course with a GPA of 3.4)
Masters Qualification: Masters in Global Business (16 month program in Singapore and Dubai. Unfortunately, my GPA here is extremely low: 2.5 though I took a number of challenging courses)
Work experience: 3.5 years, all of it in market research. Of the 3.5 years, 2.5 years were in the Middle East and a year in India
Extracurriculars: Moderate: represented my state in tennis, wrote for a sports website for a year etc. Have also done community service for 3 months where I taught English and Maths to 10 year old children
References: Will be able to get some strong references from people in senior management at both my work places so far

Thanks in advance!

Varun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am applying to MIT MFin besides Princeton, Columbia, HEC, ESSEC, EDHEC

Education: Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Economics from University of Delhi [#1 inter-disciplinary university in India] and MBA from IIM Calcutta (scored at 99.71st percentile entrance test score among 190,000 test takers) [global rank 13 among MiM programs]
Languages: English, Hindi, Japanese (fluent)
Work Experience: 39 months in management consulting (New Delhi, India), automobile international marketing (Tokyo HQ of Honda), e-commerce & real estate (Mumbai). 2 months of professional prop trading experience in Amsterdam and 1 year personal trading experience.
CFA and FRM level 1 cleared. GRE 328 / 340, TOEFL 119/120. My marks in undergraduate college are low (51%), otherwise the CV GLOWS with extra curricular and academic achievements.

What chances do I have of making it to MIT's program (or those of the other universities listed).
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
varunjog89 wrote:
Hi All,
Hi varunjog89, Thanks for reaching out. MIT's avg GPA is hovering more like 3.6 so you are not quite there on UG and the Masters GPA not helping- yur GMAT is over the average so that helps somewhat. But you are in a competitive pool.... so you know all this...
I don't have a crystal ball and certainly you will not be admitted without applying. I'd say this is a stretch- and the hurdles to overcome are what happened in the first MBA and why do you need another. You should be able to highlight your different market research background and also your global business experience. MIT also really likes applicants who understand the unique atmosphere and value that MIT can provide. So do your research- talk to current students- visit or at least reach out via email to students and also attend any MIT events when they are on the road near you to better understand the school. I'd say if you truly want to go there- then give it a shot- but you may also want to expand your list given that you do face difficult odds.

Thanks in advance!

Varun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Profile Evaluation Please:

2007 - 2011: BE from MIT, Manipal; CGPA: 8.47/10 (Amongst top 5%le in class)
2011 - 2014: Manager (Instrumentation Maintenance) in Reliance Industries Limited (Petrochemical Division), Vadodara, India
2014 - 2015: MSc in Management of Technology from NUS, Singapore; CAP: 4.35/5.00
2015 - Present: Production Engineer in Lanxess Pte. Ltd. (Petrochemical Manufacturing) Singapore; Project Management/Process Improvement kind of role.

Have led multiple cross cultural teams and projects at work.
Extra Curricular: Above average (Founder of Toastmaster club in a city, won NUS enterprise seed funding, started a charity club in Reliance for children education, some usual college and personal stuff)

GMAT: 740 (Q50 V40)

Target school: INSEAD, MIT

Post MBA career goal: Operations Consulting or get into a Rotational Leadership Program for industry oriented firm...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Profile Evaluation Please:

2007 - 2011: BE from MIT, Manipal; CGPA: 8.47/10 (Amongst top 5%le in class)
2011 - 2014: Manager (Instrumentation Maintenance) in Reliance Industries Limited (Petrochemical Division), Vadodara, India
2014 - 2015: MSc in Management of Technology from NUS, Singapore; CAP: 4.35/5.00
2015 - Present: Production Engineer in Lanxess Pte. Ltd. (Petrochemical Manufacturing) Singapore; Project Management/Process Improvement kind of role.

Have led multiple cross cultural teams and projects at work.
Extra Curricular: Above average (Founder of Toastmaster club in a city, won NUS enterprise seed funding, started a charity club in Reliance for children education, some usual college and personal stuff)

GMAT: 740 (Q50 V40)

Target school: INSEAD, MIT

Post MBA career goal: Operations Consulting or get into a Rotational Leadership Program for industry oriented firm...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello! May I ask You guys, to evaluate my chances to be accepted for MFin at MIT?

-21 years old, male, Eastern Europe
-GMAT score 760 (50Q/44V/8IR/4,5AW)
-GPA 3,77; Accounting and Finance [ Maths(linear algebra+calculus): A; Statistics: A; Econometrics: A-/B+(4,5 on a 2-5 scale)]
-Member of science club at my current university (actively participating in projects)
-basic knowledge of C++ ; I am planning to learn more in the near future
-3 languages: Polish(native), Russian (fluent) and English (fluent)

Sadly, only around 1,5 month of professional experience (accounting department of a chain of stores). Is it possible for a person with so little experience to be accepted? My plan is to gain some experience between January and June (I should finish all the courses at my university by Jan). Is it likely to improve my chances?
I have no IELTS score yet. Is it going to influence my chances (the score, not the fact, that I don't have it yet) or is it just a requirement, that needs to be met?
Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Everyone,

Applying to R1 as well. Currently researching for the essays.

My Profile

Nationality - Indian

2 years startup Founder and CEO of a angel funded Media Tech startup in India
2 months at a startup accelerator in San Francisco
1.5 years as Hardware engineer at Qualcomm India

Bachelors in Technology with Honors . CGPA 3.5

GMAT 780 | Yet to take TOEFL

National level table tennis player in Under 16 age group. University Table Tennis captain.

Any inputs would be welcome

Thanks,
PG
MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
pg1991 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Applying to R1 as well. Currently researching for the essays.

My Profile

Nationality - Indian

2 years startup Founder and CEO of a angel funded Media Tech startup in India
2 months at a startup accelerator in San Francisco
1.5 years as Hardware engineer at Qualcomm India

Bachelors in Technology with Honors . CGPA 3.5

GMAT 780 | Yet to take TOEFL

National level table tennis player in Under 16 age group. University Table Tennis captain.

Any inputs would be welcome

Thanks,
PG

Hi, focus on 3 core themes for your essays: 1) what was your role/impact? 2) what results have you got in your start-up? 3) how will this experience help you achieve your goals?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Would love to get some feedback on my profile, thanks in advance!

Background and nationality: Asian American

Undergrad Information: Cornell University, 3.46 GPA in Economics

GMAT: 750 50Q|41V

Work experience and leadership: 60 months at matriculation. 3 years at a major HR consulting firm out of college with 2 promotions. Currently at a major health insurer as an internal consultant in a business development role.

Community and others: 1) Associate board and tutor for an educational profit for 3 years. 2) VP of economics club and on executive board for a cultural club during college

Post MBA goals: Pivot into strategy and management at a F500 technology firm

Anything else? Applying in round 1
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21   
Moderators:
Sloan and Fuqua Moderator
12 posts
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts