Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shrgmat wrote:
None of the rest - B, C, D or E, fits.
B - to use an And, you need to have an And between considered & elaborately.
C - to use That Clause as parallel, you need to have another that (missing)
D - many ‘experts’ here are right on the explanation.
E - either a run on or not parallel.

So, A must be the answer though it is missing an AND. Gmac’s explanation uses reference to ‘IT’ & ‘that’. Pronoun reference is down my list (way down) and I use it only when I can’t find other errors.
Overall, as others have pointed out, it’s a very weird sentence from gmac. Also, many experts reason to justify after knowing the answer to a question - which is easy to do and without concrete explanations, I don’t buy ‘explanations from experts’

Posted from my mobile device

Hello, shrgmat. I agree that you should not take everything an Expert says as gospel. Experts disagree sometimes, after all, and I have seen Experts revise their views in light of newly published information or questions that bucked earlier trends. (See, for instance, this post by EducationAisle to such a question.) However, the overwhelming majority of Expert replies are accurate, and I suspect every one of them was written with the intent to point the community in the right direction. It seems premature to dismiss such a body of work in the manner you have mentioned above, under the implication that Experts merely peddle an OA or OE after the fact.

Concerning the omission of and in this question, did you review this post earlier in the thread by GMATGuruNY, in which the Expert draws attention to other official questions that employ the same technique (asyndeton)? I myself noticed another such question recently while practicing—from the same source, in fact. Check out this question if you are curious.

In short, you cannot peer into the mind of an Expert, upon reading a post, to judge whether that person wrote with a priori or a posteriori knowledge of the OA or OE. The suggestion that "many experts" do little more than find a way to justify the correct answer is probably misguided. You can be certain that every single Manhattan Prep or Veritas Prep Expert has earned a 99th percentile score on the exam, for instance, and many other independent tutors have verified 99th-percentile scores. It takes a lot of hard work to reach such heights.

If you approach the forum discussion with an open mind, you will probably learn a lot more. (I know I have.) Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully [#permalink]
Hi Andrew, I won’t delve into details (there are some claims that can’t possibly be verified)
but I’m fine with your post in the context of this forum.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Re: Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully [#permalink]
shrgmat wrote:
... many experts reason to justify after knowing the answer to a question - which is easy to do and without concrete explanations, I don’t buy ‘explanations from experts’

There's nothing really wrong with justifying the answer after knowing the official answer: because even the tutors and experts are constantly learning new things.

In the case of this particular question however, it is more likely that they first chose A anyway, without knowing what the official answer is, and then worked out why A is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
GMATNinja
I am not even able to understand the meaning, can u explain the meaning?

Thanks and regards
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
ramuramu1838 wrote:
GMATNinja
I am not even able to understand the meaning, can u explain the meaning?

Thanks and regards

Hello ramuramu1838,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the intended core meaning of this sentence is that Sartre had an opinion on everything, and this opinion was painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, and often changed.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
What does it mean to say that say OPINION WAS PAINFULLY CONSIDERED?

Thanks and regards
Director
Director
Send PM
Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully [#permalink]
ramuramu1838 wrote:

Considered means "thought over"
See https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consider

Painfully means "with a lot of effort"
See https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/painfully

OPINION WAS PAINFULLY CONSIDERED means
Sartre thought about the opinion and put a lot of effort into the thinking.

Send PM
Expert Reply
ramuramu1838 wrote:

Thanks and regards

Hello ramuramu1838,

To answer your query, to say one's opinion is painfully considered means that one has thought about the opinion carefully, closely, and with great effort.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
I see the parallelism but how this sentence makes sense?
What is the meaning?

Satre (person) had an opinion on everything (ok i understand) ,

But how this is ok? painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, often changed.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
valeriacastro11 wrote:
What is the meaning?

This is a structure called asyndeton.
Read about it here: https://anaprep.com/sentence-correction-asyndeton/

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 27 Sep 2022, 23:28.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 19 Sep 2023, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
valeriacastro11 wrote:
What is the meaning?

Hello valeriacastro11,

To answer your query, in the sentence formed by Option A "painfully considered", "elaborately reasoned", and "often changed" can be understood as modifiers acting upon the noun phrase "an opinion on everything", meaning that the opinions Sartre had were painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, and often changed.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
In all the courses we are taught to have a parallelism marker for a list.

Here all the parts of the list are connected with a comma. Shouldn't it include "and" for the last part?

How are we supposed to infer this?

Regards
Sarthak
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
sarthakgupta685 wrote:

Here all the parts of the list are connected with a comma. Shouldn't it include "and" for the last part?

The parallelism is more important than the parallelism marker. The other choices have lists that are not parallel, and that is not acceptable.

Many earlier posts address your question about the lack of parallelism marker. Here are two three of them:

Explanation from a few days ago by KarishmaB (read the linked blogpost): https://gmatclub.com/forum/sartre-an-in ... l#p3076808

Explanation from last year: https://gmatclub.com/forum/sartre-an-in ... l#p2720231

From last year: https://gmatclub.com/forum/sartre-an-in ... l#p2722237 In this last post you can see other official questions that have lists without a conjunction.

Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sarthakgupta685 wrote:

Regards
Sarthak

Hello sarthakgupta685,

To answer your query, on the GMAT we must look for the best answer choice, not a perfect answer choice.

The lack of conjunction in Option A is not ideal, but the lack of parallelism in Option B makes it entirely unacceptable and its structure slightly alters the meaning of the sentence.

Further, Options C, D, and E also lack conjunction, so this issue is moot in their cases.

Thus, A is the best answer choice.

Such questions that bend the rules a little are not common on the GMAT, but they do show up occasionally.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMATNinja wrote:
RupalTot123 wrote:
CJAnish, ChiranjeevSingh, GMATNinja
Kindly throw some light on tackling this kind of a question.
Thanks a lot! :)

This question is mostly about parallelism. The non-underlined portion ends with a list of attributes (describing Sartre's opinion), so we're expecting another attribute to complete the list. The first two attributes (“painfully considered, elaborately reasoned”) show us the pattern: adverb adjective, adverb adjective.

Choice (A) gives us exactly what we expect: another attribute that describes Sartre's opinion, in the form "adverb adjective" ("often changed"). So (A) is looking pretty good, but let's see if we can eliminate the others.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
Hello sir, we're all passing very hard time to digest the explanation. If those are the item shouldn't we have an and before the final item (often changed)?
Director
Director
Send PM
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/asyndeton
Quote:
Quote:
When a writer or speaker uses asyndeton, she eliminates conjunctions like "and" or "but." This rhetorical device works to make a speech more dramatic and effective by speeding up its rhythm and pace.

Most of us always use ANDs when we write lists. But skilled writers and speakers may occasionally leave out the AND. If the best writers do this, it can't be wrong.

Anyway, we should not argue with an official answer. We use official questions and answers as opportunities to learn something new.

Finally, importantly, the other answer choices are not parallel. That is a serious problem in the GMAT, and totally unacceptable.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
RupalTot123 wrote:
CJAnish, ChiranjeevSingh, GMATNinja
Kindly throw some light on tackling this kind of a question.
Thanks a lot! :)

This question is mostly about parallelism. The non-underlined portion ends with a list of attributes (describing Sartre's opinion), so we're expecting another attribute to complete the list. The first two attributes (“painfully considered, elaborately reasoned”) show us the pattern: adverb adjective, adverb adjective.

Choice (A) gives us exactly what we expect: another attribute that describes Sartre's opinion, in the form "adverb adjective" ("often changed"). So (A) is looking pretty good, but let's see if we can eliminate the others.

Quote:
(B) and it was usually changed

If we only had "usually changed" instead of "it was usually changed," then (B) would be tempting. Again, the first two elements of the list are in the form "adverb + adjective," so we expect something similar in the final part.

Instead, we get "pronoun + verb + adverb + adjective"--the addition of a subject pronoun and verb ("it was") makes it seem like we are starting an entirely new sentence, rather than continuing the list of attributes.

That's not what we want, so we can get rid of (B).

Quote:
(C) that was often changed

This would be fine if the “that was” came before the whole list: “…had an opinion on everything that was painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, [and] often changed.” But at the end of the list, "that was" doesn't make any sense and throws off the parallelism. (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) changing often

Here the parallelism might technically be ok because we have another attribute that describes Sartre's opinion ("changing often"). But unlike in (A), we don't get a nice, clean (and easy-to-follow) list of "adverb + adjective" pairs.

Moreover, since we are talking about Sartre's opinion in the past, the opinion shouldn’t be “changing often"--this seems to imply that the opinion is STILL changing in the present.

In contrast, "considered" and "reasoned" suggest actions that were performed ON the opinions in the past--the opinions were painfully considered BY Sartre, and the opinions were elaborately reasoned BY Sartre. That pattern doesn't work with the third item: "The opinions were changing often by Sartre" doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, choice (A) implies that "the opinions were often changed by Sartre," which makes more sense and fits with the pattern of the first two attributes. This makes (A) the better choice, so we can eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) one he often changed

You can get rid of (E) pretty quickly because it doesn't fit with the parallel structure at all. Using this option, the list of attributes has the form: "(1) adverb adjective, (2) adverb adjective, (3) pronoun ("one") noun modifier ("[that] he often changed")--the parallelism is clearly better in (A).

That's enough reason to get rid of (E). But if (and only if) you'd like nerd out and dive a little deeper on this one, keep reading...

Aside from the obvious deviation from the part of speech pattern, there is another really subtle reason that the parallelism isn't ideal here:

• The first two items in the list describe what Sartre’s opinion was like, without mentioning specific action by Sartre: his opinion was considered and reasoned. (If you like the jargon, this is the passive voice). As we saw in option (D), the first two elements imply actions performed ON the opinions.
  • But with "one he often changed," "he" is the subject of the verb "changed." This active construction gives Sartre more agency—he is the one specifically changing the opinion, as opposed to the opinion having been changed BY him.
  • Simply put, because two of the elements in the list are in the passive voice and one is in the active, the parallelism isn't as good as it is in option (A). Again, you don't need to go there to get rid of (E), but this gives us one more vote for (A) over (E) :).

In any case, (A) is our best option.

I hope that helps!

===============================

I understood the concept. However, I want to understand, why isn't there any "AND" included before the last element of the list. Is it a special case that needs to be remembered ?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts