It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2687 [4], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:09) correct 40% (01:16) wrong based on 1791 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels.

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels
B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service
C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service
D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service
E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

OG 2017 New Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2687 [4], given: 220

6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [6], given: 2

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here is my reasoning:

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels -> The number of guests can be reduced. The guests themselves cannot be reduced. On a funny note, you cannot really reduce their height or something :D So, eliminate.

B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> Incorrect modifier 'ultimately'. This modifier should modify 'goal' and not 'reduce'. So, eliminate.

C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service -> 'goal to reduce expressions' totally distorts the meaning. So, eliminate.

D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> 'that' cannot be used to refer to people (i.e. guests). So, eliminate.

E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> By POE, this is the right answer. Though I am not very convinced about the usage of 'with' here. Going by the rule, 'with' should modify resorts here. Resorts don't have any ultimate goal.

Kudos [?]: 14 [6], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 122 [1], given: 15

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Re: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
jaganpani wrote:
Here is my reasoning:

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels -> The number of guests can be reduced. The guests themselves cannot be reduced. On a funny note, you cannot really reduce their height or something :D So, eliminate.

B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> Incorrect modifier 'ultimately'. This modifier should modify 'goal' and not 'reduce'. So, eliminate.

C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service -> 'goal to reduce expressions' totally distorts the meaning. So, eliminate.

D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> 'that' cannot be used to refer to people (i.e. guests). So, eliminate.

E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> By POE, this is the right answer. Though I am not very convinced about the usage of 'with' here. Going by the rule, 'with' should modify resorts here. Resorts don't have any ultimate goal.

The goal is not of the resort but of the tourism commission. With is correct

Kudos [?]: 122 [1], given: 15

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 04:33
Doesn't 'with' refer to the nearest noun?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
Got this one correct....My line of reasoning

First scan of the original sentence as it is A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels

reducing the number of guests rather than reducing the guests. Next who end up expressing...leads to unnecessary verb+ing form........the last phrase with the service in the hotels....sounds unnecessary wordy and can be more concise

reducing the number of guests rather than reducing the guests - remains B, D, E

expressing in B - eliminates B

Between D and E, the construction of D is weird

E remains and the correct answer. Rechecked the correct answer

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 15

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 07:56
I believe with is modifying the entire clause.. the tourism commission has conducted a survey, with the goal.. can someone verify this for me?

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 15

2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 1088 [2], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
AbdurRakib wrote:
The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels.

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels
B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service
C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service
D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service
E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

OG 2017 New Question

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service.

Survey of hotels is conducted to reduce the number of guests expressing dissatisfaction with the hotels service...

Answer will be (E)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1088 [2], given: 325

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 08:13
shadowfax1 wrote:
I believe with is modifying the entire clause.. the tourism commission has conducted a survey, with the goal.. can someone verify this for me?

I think here it is acting as adverbial modifier , why tourism conducted survey. " with the goal " .

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 08:20
Abhishek009 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service.

Survey of hotels is conducted to reduce the number of guests expressing dissatisfaction with the hotels service...

Answer will be (E)

Hello, will be helpful if any one could elaborate reasoning of elimination. I get confused between to reduce and of reducing. Is there any logic which one to chose ? also btw ultimately and with the goal, which one to chose and why ? any help in it would be appreciated. Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 26

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 08:47
The issue is in "reducing the hotel guests" as opposed to "reducing the number of hotel guests". Answer choice E fixes the problem without introducing new ones.

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 26

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 11:36
Hi Experts,

I wish to understand what's wrong in option B compared to E.

(B) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

(E) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal to understand the earth better
Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal of understanding the earth better

I think the former makes more sense because "to" has an intention connotation that is lacking in "for verb-ing". Or, is there a problem with "ultimate" in the above sentence?

"who express" is, of course, much cleaner than "who end up expressing"

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 11:56
E clears the actual accurate intention by stating ultimate than ultimately
In B it is more of for the heck of it

Sent from my iPad

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3310 [4], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
abhishek1912 wrote:
Hi Experts,

(B) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

(E) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal to understand the earth better
Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal of understanding the earth better

I think the former makes more sense because "to" has an intention connotation that is lacking in "for verb-ing". Or, is there a problem with "ultimate" in the above sentence?

The goal is not to ultimately reduce the numbers. It would be better if the commission could reduce the numbers now than if it reduces "ultimately". However the goal itself is ultimate (i.e. the final goal). Therefore placement of ultimately is wrong in option B.

Kudos [?]: 3310 [4], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 04:40
Isn't the option E conveying that there is a category of guests who express dissatisfaction, guests who end up expressing seems better but unfortunately other options also contain errors .
@sayantanc2k : your views please?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 111 [1], given: 26

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
abhishek1912 wrote:
Hi Experts,

"Ultimately" in B is redundant; you would use this word only if there were some other attempts which failed.

Kudos [?]: 111 [1], given: 26

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 09:23
RK84 wrote:
Isn't the option E conveying that there is a category of guests who express dissatisfaction, guests who end up expressing seems better but unfortunately other options also contain errors .
sayantanc2k : your views please?

In either case, without a comma, the relative clause modifier categorizes the noun it modifies - the modifier is an essential modifier. Thus both the options C and E categorizes "guests". For example:

I hate men who talk a lot. ... Meaning: There are 100 men, out of them I hate only those 30 men who talk a lot. (categorizes men)
I hate men, who talk a lot.... Meaning: I hate all 100 men, and all the 100 men talk a lot ("who talk a lot" is just an additional information about "men" - no categorization here).

In this question it is required to use an essential modifier (one without comma), since the number of only those guests who express dissatisfaction needs to be reduced. Option C and E both are alright in that respect.

I hope that I understood your query correctly.

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 76

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 06:35
sayantanc2k wrote:
RK84 wrote:
sayantanc2k : your views please?

In either case, without a comma, the relative clause modifier categorizes the noun it modifies - the modifier is an essential modifier. Thus both the options C and E categorizes "guests". For example:

I hate men who talk a lot. ... Meaning: There are 100 men, out of them I hate only those 30 men who talk a lot. (categorizes men)
I hate men, who talk a lot.... Meaning: I hate all 100 men, and all the 100 men talk a lot ("who talk a lot" is just an additional information about "men" - no categorization here).

In this question it is required to use an essential modifier (one without comma), since the number of only those guests who express dissatisfaction needs to be reduced. Option C and E both are alright in that respect.

I hope that I understood your query correctly.

Can you give explanation to individual options:

I removed all the options starting with " with". since we cannot have infinitives or gerund in the prepositional phrase. its better to make a full sentence.

I selected option D, even though the usage of that seemed dicey.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 04:00

Placement of the modifiers in (A) and (B) is not perfect (guest who end up expressing..)
Placement of ultimately is (C) is wrong (furthermore the adverb is not neededI
Wrong modifier in (D). (Guests that)

Left with (E). (E) does not repeat any of these mistakes. Therefore (E) is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GRE 1: 319 Q170 V149
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 06:50
In A, reducing the guests implying the GUESTS are to be made smaller in size.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.

Generally, an infinitive modifier serves to express INTENT.
B and C: with the goal to reduce
Here, the infinite modifier in red implies that the goal is intended TO REDUCE something.
This meaning is nonsensical: a goal cannot be used to reduce something.
Eliminate B and C.

D: the number...that ends up ends up expressing dissatisfaction
Here, the portions in red imply that an actual number -- 100, 1000, etc. -- is EXPRESSING dissatisfaction.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate D.

Posted by
GMATGuruNY

Resume Guides
GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 43

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 11:48
Is 'goal of reducing' idiomatic? Iv learnt that goal is to verb, goal is of noun - these forms are correct. Can Experts please help here?

thank you

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

Re: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2017, 11:48

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap