Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [254]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [47]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [26]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [5]

Send PM
When asteroids collide, some collisions cause an asteroid to spin fast [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Passage breakdown

In the first paragraph (P1), the author introduces a hypothesis and provides supporting evidence:

• Background: the rotation rates of asteroids depend on whether those asteroids are monoliths or loose rubble piles.
  • Hypothesis: monoliths should show a bell-shaped distribution with some fast rotators, while rubble piles should not have any fast rotators
  • Supporting evidence: large asteroids are all slower, whereas a few small asteroids are faster.

In the second paragraph, the author draws a conclusion from the info in P1, then supports this conclusion:

• Conclusion: large asteroids are rubble piles.
  • Support for this conclusion: computer modeling data.
  • Addition to conclusion: small asteroids are monoliths.

For more on the process of breaking down RC passages, check out this article and our live RC videos.

Explanations for individual questions

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [7]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: When asteroids collide, some collisions cause an asteroid to spin fast [#permalink]
Kudos
The official answer can be found here https://books.google.co.in/books?id=f5v ... %3F&f=true
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [6]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: When asteroids collide, some collisions cause an asteroid to spin fast [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
somtsat99 wrote:
Can Anyone explain the answers to question 2 and 4 in detail. Also what could be the level of this official RC ? I find it very hard. Got only 2 answers correct.

Although I too got Q4 wrong, but This is what I can relate to after seeing the correct answer.

The author of the passage mentions “escape velocity” (see line 22) in order to help explain which of the following?
A. The tendency for asteroids to become smaller rather than larger over time
B. The speed with which impact fragments reassemble when they do not escape an asteroid’s gravitational attraction after a collision
C. The frequency with which collisions among asteroids occur
D. The rotation rates of asteroids smaller than 200 meters in diameter
E. The tendency for large asteroids to persist after collisions

Refer to these lines from passage:
A collision can blast a large asteroid to bits,
but after the collision those bits will usually move
slower than their mutual escape velocity.

Collision -> Large to Bits (small ones)
After collision -> Bits slower than mutual escape velocity.

Small ones (bits) will move slower than what? Large ones i guess.
So, mutual escape velocity is associated to large ones only.

Thus, look for options that talk about large ones only!

Thanks,
Ashygoyal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [13]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
somtsat99 wrote:
Can Anyone explain the answers to question 2 and 4 in detail. Also what could be the level of this official RC ? I find it very hard. Got only 2 answers correct.

Btw, hi ashygoyal, I can read Q2 only, so I will post its explanation. But I will not type as exact as what's written in OG, because I believe that the following (in my own words) will better help test takers understand how to understand the question and how to drive to the correct answer.

My 2 cents on Q2.

The discovery of which of the following would call into question the conclusion mentioned in line 16?

According to the passage, the conclusion is "that asteroids larger than 200 meters across are multicomponent structures or rubble piles".
--> We're talking about "asteroids larger than 200 meters across", so eliminate (A) and (B) as these options mention asteroids smaller than 200 meters in diameter.

A. An asteroid 100 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once per week
B. An asteroid 150 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of 20 times per hour[/color
]

In order to weaken the above conclusion, we need to prove that asteroids larger than 200 meters across are NOT multicomponent structures or rubble piles.
Now, let's ask "what evidence does the author use to reach the conclusion??" --> The author argues earlier in the 1st paragraph that "If asteroids are rubble piles, however, the tail representing the very fast rotators would be missing, because any loose aggregate spinning faster than once every few hours (depending on the asteroid’s bulk density) would fly apart."
. In other words, rubble piles don't rotate faster than once every few hours, because if they do, they would fly apart.

It seems to be quite clear now, right? In order claim that asteroids larger than 200 meters across are NOT multicomponent structures or rubble piles, we just need to prove that these asteroids rotate faster than once every few hours, a character that is totally contrary to that of rubble piles!

[color=#ec008c]C. An asteroid 250 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once per week
--> Still slower than "once every few hours". OUT

D. An asteroid 500 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once per hour
--> Yes, that's it! "a rate of once per hour" demonstrates that the asteroid rotates faster than once every few hours. CORRECT!

E. An asteroid 1,000 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once every 24 hours
--> Still slower than "once every few hours". OUT

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Olin '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Q2:
The discovery of which of the following would call into question the conclusion mentioned in line 16?
A. An asteroid 100 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once per week
B. An asteroid 150 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of 20 times per hour
C. An asteroid 250 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once per week
D. An asteroid 500 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once per hour
E. An asteroid 1,000 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once every 24 hours

For me, the explanation for this question is the following evidence:
The evident conclusion—that asteroids larger than 200 meters across are multicomponent structures or rubble piles—agrees with recent computer modeling of collisions, which also finds a transition at that diameter. A collision can blast a large asteroid to bits, but after the collision those bits will usually move slower than their mutual escape velocity. Over several hours, gravity will reassemble all but the fastest pieces into a rubble pile
conclution: large asteroids >= 200m are multicomponent structures.
Reasoning: after collision, asteroids become bits. velocity of these bit < escape velocity. therefore, these bits remain and gravity reassemble over several hours to become rubble pile.

In D: An asteroid 500 meters in diameter rotating at a rate of once per hour
the large asteroid rotates once per hour. so gravity cannot reassemble and asteroids are not rubble piles. So weaken the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Olin '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Q4
The author of the passage mentions “escape velocity” (see line 22) in order to help explain which of the following?
B. The speed with which impact fragments reassemble when they do not escape an asteroid’s gravitational attraction after a collision

For me, choice B tell the opposite.
In the passage: "A collision can blast a large asteroid to bits,but after the collision those bits will usually moveslower than their mutual escape velocity"
it means velocity of these bit is slower than escape velocity, so they remain.
In choice B:The speed with which impact fragments reassemble when they do not escape an asteroid’s gravitational attraction after a collision
the fragments will reassemble with escape velocity. so its incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [5]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
somtsat99 wrote:

Time Taken: 10mins 34seconds.
I got 1 question wrong (~Q4); Although I got it wrong as I fell for Option B, I didn't have a clear reason to rule our option E either. I should have been more diligent here.

Although people have spoken at large here, I would like to share my 2 cents here out of my analysis:

Option B: The speed with which....Blah blah.
This option should have been ruled out of contention. The author mentions the escape velocity not to describe the speed with which the remaining parts are reassembled along side the asteriod but the speed which remaining parts don't achieve and hence remain part of the asteroid's gravitational pull.

A subtle but vast change in context here. Loved it!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Time taken 7:30 min.
Got 1st wrong. How can the answer be C

I think only the small ones i.e below 200 are Monoliths not all 5!

And if it's c then why D is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [1]
Given Kudos: 418
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM
Kudos
Time taken - 8 mins

Got the last two questions wrong.

GMATNinja - Could you please explain the options B and E in the 4th question. Although i understood the option E explained by you in the earlier posts , however what is wrong with option B. :suspect
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [8]

Send PM
Kudos