It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:30

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135577 [0], given: 12701

x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 01:07
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:59) correct 48% (01:29) wrong based on 119 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x – 3) an odd number?

(1) The sum of any prime factor of x and x is even
(2) 3x is an even number

Source: Platinum GMAT
Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2401 [0], given: 51

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 03:28
Bunuel wrote:
x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x – 3) an odd number?

(2) 3x is an even number

Question : is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x – 3) an odd number?

For this result to be odd, every part i.e. (x^3 + 19837), (x^2 + 5) and (x – 3) must be ODD [Because Even + Odd = Odd]
Which is possible only whn x is EVEN

Question Rephrased : Is x Even?

Statement 1:The sum of any prime factor of x and x is even

Let, x is odd: Then Every Prime factor of x must be Odd
But x + factor = Even
i.e. odd + Odd = Even
i.e. X can be Odd

Similarly, Let, x is Even: Then One of the Prime factors of x must be e (even)
But x + factor = Even
i.e. Even + Even = Even
i.e. X can be Even as well

NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2:3x is an even number

if 3x is even then x must be Even

SUFFICIENT

answer: Option B

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 125 [2], given: 93

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x – 3) an odd number?

Properties to remember:
abc = odd, if all three variables are odd.
abc = even, if any of variables is even.

(x^3 + 19837) = if x is odd, the sum will be even, if x is even the sum will be odd.
(x^2 + 5) = if x is odd, the sum will be even, if x is even the sum will be odd.
(x – 3) = if x is odd, the difference will be even, if x is even the difference will be odd.

So, the question: is the X - even?

(2) 3x is an even number

Start with the simpler looking statement, is 3x is even, then according to simple arithmetics rules - x is even. Sufficient.
Interestingly, this statement is so easy, that it looks like a B-trap (Some might think "this is too easy, I bet A is also sufficient and the answer is D")

This is the tricky one, so what does this say?

We are given that X is greater than 2, so if X is any odd number than some of X and any of its odd primes will be even (ODD + ODD = EVEN).
But, if X is even, than we have 2 scenarios: it can have ODD and EVEN prime factors, meaning that it doesn't meet Statement 1 requirements, and this is where the trap lies:
don't forget that X can be a power of 2! hence, it can have only one prime number, and it will be EVEN + EVEN = EVEN!
So, we can't narrow down this to ODD or EVEN. Insufficient.

Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

I think that the following elements are created to lure students into a trap of choosing D:
1. Statement 2 is very easy as compared to Statement 1 and complex question stem (to imply that there is a B-trap)
2. We are given that x is greater than 2, though it doesn't matter for question (to confuse students into forgetting that powers of 2 are needed to be taken into consideration when solving Statement 1).

Stay positive! ^.^

My blog - http://www.mbafortech.com

Kudos [?]: 125 [2], given: 93

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2401 [1], given: 51

Reviews Badge
Re: x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMAT questions don't come with information just to confuse the test takers. So please understand that if GMAT gives an information then it's either to define the question within the acceptable boundaries or to use for solving the question. It's never to confuse the test takers.

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi

Kudos [?]: 2401 [1], given: 51

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 93

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 09:15
GMATinsight wrote:
GMAT questions don't come with information just to confuse the test takers. So please understand that if GMAT gives an information then it's either to define the question within the acceptable boundaries or to use for solving the question. It's never to confuse the test takers.

Could you please help me with why the information about X being > 2 was given? I might be missing something. I mean, it doesn't confuse you, but you don't need it to solve the question.

Stay positive! ^.^

SDA Bocconi Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 34

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 09:34
I selected option D based on the usage of the word any

Statement 2 is straightforward so there is no need for any elaboration on that.

The sum of any prime factor of x and x is even

I read it like this: If a number has three prime factors, the three sums, i.e sum of each prime factor of x taken one at a time and the number x is even. This can only happen if the number are odd. So this statement is also sufficient.
Hence D.

DJ

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 34

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
G

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 09:53
kvazar wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:

Could you please help me with why the information about X being > 2 was given? I might be missing something. I mean, it doesn't confuse you, but you don't need it to solve the question.

Hi kvazar,
I am not saying you are wrong. The comment I mention was a general understanding about GMAT questions so that the message goes right to the readers that "any information of question that you are not able to relate isn't to confuse you, it's to help you understand/solve the question better and without using it your answer has very high potential to be incorrect". Also, this question hasn't come from GMAC so it may have have such flaws but not the questions of GMAC. ;)

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 10:28
akashganga wrote:
I selected option D based on the usage of the word any

Statement 2 is straightforward so there is no need for any elaboration on that.

The sum of any prime factor of x and x is even

I read it like this: If a number has three prime factors, the three sums, i.e sum of each prime factor of x taken one at a time and the number x is even. This can only happen if the number are odd. So this statement is also sufficient.
Hence D.

DJ

And this is the trap I was talking about!
If X = 8, then it has only one prime factor = 2, and 2 + 8 = 10 (EVEN). It is not necessary for X to have odd prime factors!

Stay positive! ^.^

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 10:34
GMATinsight wrote:
kvazar wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:

Hi kvazar,
I am not saying you are wrong. The comment I mention was a general understanding about GMAT questions so that the message goes right to the readers that "any information of question that you are not able to relate isn't to confuse you, it's to help you understand/solve the question better and without using it your answer has very high potential to be incorrect". Also, this question hasn't come from GMAC so it may have have such flaws but not the questions of GMAC. ;)

I agree! My experience is that if you didn't use ALL the information, then chances are you're missed something. But in my reasoning for this question I just focused on what I have at hand, not what GMAC had at it's mind. But I'm pretty sure are numerous other questions with excess information on the forum. I won't be surprised if they are not GMAC created. Maybe Bunuel can shed some light, if he ever met questions like this created by GMAC.

Stay positive! ^.^

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 03:52
Bunuel wrote:

(2) 3x is an even number

Platinum GMAT Official Solution:

In order to solve this question efficiently, it is necessary to begin with number properties. For a product of any number of terms to be odd, all the terms must be odd. If there is but one even term, the product will be even. To see this, consider the following examples:
All Terms Odd --> Odd Product
3*7*9*5 = 945
7*9*3 = 189
1*3*5 = 15

But: One or More Even Terms --> Even Product
3*7*9*2 = 378
7*9*4 = 252
1*3*5*6 = 90

In order for (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x – 3) to be an odd number, all the terms must be odd.

To determine under what conditions each term will be odd, it is important to remember the following relationships:
odd + odd = even
odd - odd = even

even + even = even
even - even = even

even + odd = odd
even - odd = odd
odd + even = odd
odd - even = odd

The only way for each term of (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x – 3) to be odd is if an even and an odd number are added or subtracted together within the parenthesis of each term. In other words:
even + odd = odd: For (x^3 + 19837) to be odd, since 19837 is odd, x^3 will need to be even. This will happen only when x is even.

even + odd = odd: For (x^2 + 5) to be odd, since 5 is odd, x^2 will need to be even. This will happen only when x is even.

even - odd = odd: For (x – 3) to be odd, since 3 is odd, x will need to be even.

When combining the results from the analysis of the three terms above, the only way for (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x – 3) to be odd is if each term is odd. This will only happen if x is even. Consequently, the original question can be simplified to: is x even? Another version of the simplified question is: what is the parity of x?

Evaluate Statement (1) alone.

In order for the sum of any prime factor of x and x to be even, it must follow one of two patterns:
Pattern (1): even + even = even
Pattern (2): odd + odd = even

There are two possible cases:

Case (1): x is even. In this case, Pattern (1) must hold. Since x is even in Case (1), any and every prime factor of x must be even (otherwise we could choose an odd prime factor of x and the sum of x and the odd prime factor would be odd). Let's consider some examples:
Let x = 12: However, x cannot equal 12 since one prime factor of 12 is 3 and 12 + 3 = odd number.
Let x = 26: However, x cannot equal 26 since one prime factor of 26 is 13 and 26 + 13 = odd number.
Let x = 14: However, x cannot equal 14 since one prime factor of 14 is 7 and 14 + 7 = odd number.
Let x = 16: x can equal 16 since every prime factor of 16 is even and as a result we know that and 16 + any prime factor = even number.
It is clear that Statement (1) allows x to be even (e.g., 16 is a possible value of x).

Case (2): x is odd. In this case, Pattern (2) must hold. Since x is odd in Case (2), any and every prime factor of x must be odd (otherwise we could choose an even prime factor of x and the sum of x and the even prime factor would be odd). Since all the prime factors of x are odd, x must be odd in Case (2). Let's consider some examples:
Let x = 11: Every prime factor of 11 is odd, so: 11 + prime factor of 11 = even number.
Let x = 15: Every prime factor of 15 is odd, so: 15 + prime factor of 15 = even number.
Since Statement (1) allows x to be either even (e.g., 16) or odd (e.g., 15), we cannot determine the parity of x.

Statement (1) is NOT SUFFICIENT.

Evaluate Statement (2) alone.
3x = Even Number
(odd)(x)=(even)
x must be even because, as shown above, if x were odd, 3x would be odd.

Statement (2) is SUFFICIENT since it definitively tells the parity of x.

Since Statement (1) alone is NOT SUFFICIENT but Statement (2) alone is SUFFICIENT, answer B is correct.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 14:55
X>2, positive integer; Is (X^3+oddnumber)(X^2+Odd)(X-Odd) = odd?
If X= even , then expression will be (e+o)(e+o)(e-o) =o*o =Odd
If X= odd , then expression will be (o+o)(o+o)(o-o) = there is one even, so entire expression will be Even

1. X can be 4, so prime factors of 4 will 2 +4=Even, then expression will be Odd. But when X=5 sum of prime factor will be 5+5=even, but expression will be Even. So insufficient
2. 3X is even, that means X must be even. So expression will be Odd. Sufficient

Hence answer is B
Thanks,

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 497

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 10:58
Simplifying big question: \((x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x – 3)\) = odd?
\((x^3 + odd)(x^2 + odd)(x - odd)\) = odd?
basically question is x even ?

Statement 1: The sum of any prime factor of x and x is even
x can be square of odd prime, say 49, prime factor 7 + 49 = 56 (even) => x is odd
or x can be any power of 2, say 64, prime factor 2 + 64 = 66 (even) => x is even

x can be odd or even -> Not Sufficient

Statement 2: 3x is even
since x is integer, x must be even integer, to make 3x even -> Sufficient.

Answer (B)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 497

x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2017, 10:58

x is a positive integer greater than two; is (x^3 + 19837)(x^2 + 5)(x

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap