GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 661
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Mar 2019, 05:06
8
22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (02:22) correct 76% (02:15) wrong based on 1215 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick from consuming locally fished hermit crabs, the Rotunda Beach city authorities posted signs cautioning against the consumption of the crabs. Tests revealed that the crabs were high in prestic acid, a dangerous chemical. But a marked decline in the number of goldfish found by the beach has led to the removal of the warning signs.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the removal of the signs?


(A) Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid.

(B) The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity.

(C) Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid.

(D) Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted.

(E) Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid.

Originally posted by TGC on 21 Jan 2013, 00:07.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Mar 2019, 05:06, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 661
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Re: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2013, 22:21
16
1
After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick from consuming locally fished hermit crabs, the Rotunda Beach city authorities posted signs cautioning against the consumption of the crabs. Tests revealed that the crabs were high in prestic acid, a dangerous chemical. But a marked decline in the number of goldfish found by the beach has led to the removal of the warning signs.

Premise: High prestic Acid in Hermit crab =>People got sick => Caution signs against Hermit Crabs
Conclusion: Decline in GF => Removal of signs.

Now how does conclusion is linked with premise in the stimulus , is what we have to answer .Because conclusion mentions GF and premise mentions HC.So there must be some relation between GF and prestic acid.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the removal of the signs?


Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid.
This shows that signs shouldn't be removed because GF decline =>HC will less excrete prestic acid => People Sick
The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity.
If Density of GF directly proportional to the Prestic acid , the according to conclusion
GF decline => Density of GF declines => Less Prestic acid => HC safe =>People will not get sick => Removal of signs.

Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid.
Out of scope, we talking about Acid not parasites
Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted.
Out of scope
Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid.
Not related to argument

Hope it helps !!!
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 195
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 23:54
umeshpatil wrote:
IMO: A
Premise 1: Eating the hermit crabs, fishermen got sick. So, Authorities displayed warning sign to forbid from eating crabs.
Premise 2: Crabs were acidic chemical prestic acid.
Conclusion: Authorities removed warning signal knowing decline in the goldfish population.

A) Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid. Fishermen got sick by eating crab, whose excreta was acidic because of presence of goldfish around. Its good correlation. Now, As goldfish population has declined, it's correct to assume, crabs will not excrete prestic acid.
B) The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity. Prestic acid is proportional to goldfish population? then why fishermen felt sick by eating crab. They didn't eat goldfish. Wrong. No correlation with hermit crabs.
C) Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid. Same error as B.
D) Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted. Out of scope. Pollution has no interrelation with crabs and fishes.
E) Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid. Same error as B,C

I am not convinced with OA. Can anyone please put light on this ?

I agree with your point. How is B in anyway related to crabs
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Posts: 15
GMAT Date: 05-28-2015
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2014, 11:59
2
himanshujovi wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:
IMO: A
Premise 1: Eating the hermit crabs, fishermen got sick. So, Authorities displayed warning sign to forbid from eating crabs.
Premise 2: Crabs were acidic chemical prestic acid.
Conclusion: Authorities removed warning signal knowing decline in the goldfish population.

A) Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid. Fishermen got sick by eating crab, whose excreta was acidic because of presence of goldfish around. Its good correlation. Now, As goldfish population has declined, it's correct to assume, crabs will not excrete prestic acid.
B) The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity. Prestic acid is proportional to goldfish population? then why fishermen felt sick by eating crab. They didn't eat goldfish. Wrong. No correlation with hermit crabs.
C) Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid. Same error as B.
D) Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted. Out of scope. Pollution has no interrelation with crabs and fishes.
E) Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid. Same error as B,C

I am not convinced with OA. Can anyone please put light on this ?

I agree with your point. How is B in anyway related to crabs


First of all lets see why A is incorrect. According to this statement, more goldfish => more excretion of prestic acid(ie less retention). Thus if goldfish population declines retention of prestic acid in hermit crabs will increase and thus the danger is still there.

We can easily eliminate C & D as they are out of scope.

Now both B & E are assuming that prestic acid content in water is directly proportional to the acid content in crab. But E goes too far to say that "goldfish would not be able to inhabit at all" while the argument just mentions that the goldfish population has just declined.

hence (B) is correct
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 136
Re: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 07:55
2
TGC wrote:
After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick from consuming locally fished hermit crabs, the Rotunda Beach city authorities posted signs cautioning against the consumption of the crabs. Tests revealed that the crabs were high in prestic acid, a dangerous chemical. But a marked decline in the number of goldfish found by the beach has led to the removal of the warning signs.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the removal of the signs?

Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid.
The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity.
Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid.
Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted.
Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid.
Source: Veri Prep


I think B is not best among the answer choices.
In B we are taking an assumption that Crabs are in the vicinity of Goldfish.It may be a condition where Goldfish reside on east shore and crabs on west shore.
In A ,we are directly told that goldfish is responsible for excretion of prestic acid in crabs so it satisfies both premises.I think A is more appropriate than B.
Can anyone still explain why B is correct? KyleWiddison tuanquang269
mikemcgarry ,I need your help here !
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
#Top150 CR: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 09:02
souvik101990 wrote:
After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick from consuming locally fished hermit crabs, the Rotunda Beach city authorities posted signs cautioning against the consumption of the crabs. Tests revealed that the crabs were high in prestic acid, a dangerous chemical. But a marked decline in the number of goldfish found by the beach has led to the removal of the warning signs.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the removal of the signs?

A. Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid.

B. The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity.

C. Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid.

D. Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted.

E. Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid



according to me answer is



I was confused between E and B and A.

A. Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid. Here, Goldfish OFF the beach not BY the beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid. So if the population has gone down. Crabs wont excrete but they would still contain prestic acid. So A is out

E. Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid Hmm this one felt tricky. Okay suppose the mixture contains 5% P acid. Now, there is 4% P acid and G fish can't survive without 5% P acid, BUT Acid still remains in the water for the crabs to intake, hence E is out.

B. The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity. Now, if this correlation is correct, i.e. Amt of P acid ---> dependent on amt/density of pop of G fish, then Less G ---> Less P. So B seems legit

OA =
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 229
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 10:16
A. Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid.
Its only telling us that Goldfish is on our side. It helps in reducing prestic acid's level in the crabs. But why should the warning signs be removed?

B. The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity.
This doesnt talk about crabs at all. Though Goldfish is important, we need to assure that crabs are not consumed. Doesn't help

C. Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid.
This makes things worse! If this is the case, Goldfish can eat as many crabs as it wants now. As a result it should grow in number.

D. Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted.
So what? Way out of scope!

E. Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid
This makes sense.
Please note- precise mixture of acids is needed for the Goldfish to survive.
Now, Since the warning signs were put up, the levels of prestic acid must have gone up because of the unchallenged growth of crabs, thereby going beyond whats needed by our Goldfish. So, remove the warning so that the crabs are again hunted and level of prestic acid comes down.

Hence, ill go with E.

But hold on! We are saving Goldfish at the expense of our fishermen's health!! :o
_________________
One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 513
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 10:43
The argument: consuming hermit crabs makes people got sick => authorities posted warning sign
Hermit crab excrete prestic acid which is toxic to human
The conclusion: Decline number of GF found off the beach => remove sign of caution

Scope: Hermit crab, prestic acid need connect to reasons of decline of GF

souvik101990 wrote:
After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick from consuming locally fished hermit crabs, the Rotunda Beach city authorities posted signs cautioning against the consumption of the crabs. Tests revealed that the crabs were high in prestic acid, a dangerous chemical. But a marked decline in the number of goldfish found by the beach has led to the removal of the warning signs.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the removal of the signs?

A. Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid. => Reverse answer

B. The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity.
=> out of scope. We need about prestic acid of GF
C. Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid.
=> Irrelevant
D. Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted.
=> Irrelevant
E. Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid
=> The most correct answer. Because GF cannot inhabit in the water off RB where certain mixture of acid restrain GF's population. Caution sign should be removed for people to fish the hermit crab

_________________
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1093
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 10:57
After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick from consuming locally fished hermit crabs,

the Rotunda Beach city authorities posted signs cautioning against the consumption of the crabs.

Tests revealed that the crabs were high in prestic acid, a dangerous chemical.

But a marked decline in the number of goldfish found by the beach has led to the removal of the warning signs.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the removal of the signs?

A. Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid.
(If Goldfish causes crabs to excrete acid then their present should reduce prestic acid and cause removal of warning signs.
but instead their absence seemingly resulted in the same. This further exacerbates the paradox adding more confusion.)


B. The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity.
(if goldfish population amount of prestic acid
then decline in gold population indicates decline in the amount of prestic acid.
that is the reason why warning signs against eating crabs is removed since the amount of prestic acid reduce considerably.
This explains the paradox)

C. Goldfish consume various parasites that often contain prestic acid.
this does not explain why it is acceptable to eat crabs now.

D. Rotunda Beach is notoriously polluted.
This does not provide any useful information.

E. Goldfish would not be able to live in the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid
(This is a double negative.
This means that If those waters are saturated with mixture of acids including prestic acid then Gold fish can live in waters off Beach.
so if Gold fish is decreasing then those mixture of acids is decreasing in content.
but
mixture of acids is not the same as prestic acid as it is possible that the mixture of acids may not be as harmful as prestic acd.
since we don't have info whether mixture is as harmful or harmless compared to prestic acid, we cannot infer any info which relates this info to do with crabs infection and removal of warnings.)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2014
Posts: 52
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Re: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 00:10
1
1
TGC wrote:
After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick from consuming locally fished hermit crabs, the Rotunda Beach city authorities posted signs cautioning against the consumption of the crabs. Tests revealed that the crabs were high in prestic acid, a dangerous chemical. But a marked decline in the number of goldfish found by the beach has led to the removal of the warning signs.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the removal of the signs?

>>Goldfish found off Rotunda Beach cause hermit crabs to excrete prestic acid.
>>The amount of prestic acid produced by an individual goldfish has a direct positive correlation with the density of the goldfish population in that goldfish’s immediate vicinity.
>> Goldfish would not be able to inhabit the waters off Rotunda Beach if those waters were not saturated with a precise mixture of acids, including prestic acid.


A very good question. Works on prethinking and correlation
Crabs have acid inside them and people are getting sick eating the acid inside the crab

Prethink--how is goldfish related to crab
assumed-> crab eats goldfish

question--> If crab eats goldfish, why has officers remove the caution that crabs are harmful??
crabs eat goldfish// farmers eat crabs--> population of crabs is maintained

If farmers wont eat crabs--> more crabs and thus less goldfish

Only B says this.
Booth Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 11 Feb 2018
Posts: 293
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Re: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 07:03
I want a kudos I am telling you!!!!

Gist : Crabs have PA.Dangerous.Less goldfish less PA in crabs (or in general).Hence sign removed

We have to find the link between crabs and PA.

A = Goldfish cause crabs to excrete PA.Think of the various situations possible here.The crab would excrete PA.Now we must assume that the PA excreted affects the crab present.We have to assume that the crabs live near the PA excreted.Or they consume the PA.

Point is we have to make pretty big assumptions here.Also I can think of this being a weakener to the statement "the sign has been removed" because if the crab doesn't excrete PA then the PA is present in the crab which we consume.Hence we cannot explain removing the signs.

B = When GF population prestic conc falls.

B as you may see is far neater.B's somewhat implied assumption is (The crabs live in an area of PA which is a sensible assumption to make given the circumstances).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2019, 07:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

After a number of migrant fishermen at the Rotunda Beach pier got sick

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne