GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Consortium MBA Applicants - 2019 Intake!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Consulting (Military & Defense)
Calling all Consortium MBA Applicants - 2019 Intake!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 09:54
Kind of stumbled upon this forum late in the game. Just wanted to say Hello!

I applied to 6 schools and have been invited to McDonough, Darden, Haas (listed in order of interview invite). Have not heard from Johnson, Stern, or Tuck.

I've also applied to Fuqua, even though they're not a member school (invited here as well).

I had a random question that hopefully others can shed light on: Is it possible for your #1 school to grant you admission into their MBA program BUT NOT the Consortium Fellowship?

Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all Consortium MBA Applicants - 2019 Intake!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 10:28
sT470s wrote:

I applied to 6 schools and have been invited to McDonough, Darden, Haas (listed in order of interview invite). Have not heard from Johnson, Stern, or Tuck.

I've also applied to Fuqua, even though they're not a member school.

I had a random question that hopefully others can shed light on: Is it possible for your #1 school to grant you admission into their MBA program BUT NOT the Consortium Fellowship?

Good luck to everyone!

Yes, I believe so although there are two possible scenarios. 1) You get admitted to your #1 school but do not get accepted as member to the Consortium. If that happens, the school doesn't have the opportunity to offer you the fellowship. 2) Your #1 school only has X number of fellowships to offer and can't offer everyone a fellowship who's ranked them #1. I'm not sure this is as likely, but I think possible
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q154 V159
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 15:04
Hello, has anyone received an invite from Olin? I just received mine to choose a date through their Salesforce portal. They sent another email explaining that a password link should be sent but I never received it. I checked my spam box and there's nothing from Olin. Reset my password link isn't sending me an email either. Assuming they manually created an account for me but did not send over a link to verify my account and now it's dormant. Anyone else from The Consortium had a similar issue?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 15:13
sT470s wrote:

I've also applied to Fuqua, even though they're not a member school (invited here as well).

Good luck to everyone!

Yeah, I was actually described several scenarios that could happen in general:
1) You get admitted but no CGSM membership. From what I heard this is very rare but possible if something in your profile or membership essay was not good.
2) You get admitted but only CGSM membership, no fellowship. This gives you access to all the Consortium benefits including alumni and OP, just without any grants. The school you picked #1 still can still give you funds on their own (for instance give you 25% scholarship). But it also allows the next schools to give you fellowship, partial or full.
3) You get admitted but only a partial fellowship. This allows the next school to give you a full fellowship and your choice of school. Another school can give you the full fellowship if they so choose.

Once a school gives you a full fellowship it's game over. No one else can play since you were drafted. You can still be selected to their school, but no Consortium.

So here's a hypothetical scenario:

Schools:
1) Tuck - Admit, no scholarship. Consortium OK
2) Yale - Rejected
3) Ross - Admit, partial fellowship
4) Haas - Admit, no fellowship (15% scholarship).
5) USC - Admit, full fellowship
6) Foster - Admit (full ride)

So you can choose #3 or 5 and still get Consortium. Picking #1 gets you nothing but you would have gotten Consortium membership IF no other schools gave you a fellowship. But you did as you'll see... Pick 3 and you get some partial scholarship. Pick 4 and you also get some scholarship but no Consortium (since someone already picked you for some funds). Pick 6 gets you also a full ride but you won't get Consortium since you were already offered the full fellowship. How much membership is worth it to you is up to interpretation and choosing between school 5 and 6.

I think this is how it works, but I could be wrong...this is just from what I interpreted.

Note: If you get a scenario like this you're one lucky SOB lol. I'm just throwing together an unlikely scenario to demonstrate the rules of the game.

It's an interesting game, to say the least. The whole admissions process is a weird game, so it makes sense that the Consortium has it's own interesting rules.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 18:42
imlookingfortips wrote:
Hello, has anyone received an invite from Olin? I just received mine to choose a date through their Salesforce portal. They sent another email explaining that a password link should be sent but I never received it. I checked my spam box and there's nothing from Olin. Reset my password link isn't sending me an email either. Assuming they manually created an account for me but did not send over a link to verify my account and now it's dormant. Anyone else from The Consortium had a similar issue?

I heard yesterday as well and got 4 emails from them: 1) Welcome to WashU Grad Programs 2) We received your Olin application 3) An interview invite and 4) A password reset link. They all came from the same "Olin Grad Programs" email address and within 20 minutes of one another. I think there's a create a portal link in the "Welcome to WashU Grad Programs," where you can initiate another password reset link. Mine all came to the email I address I used on my application. Message me if I can help further!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 21:35
Yus wrote:
imlookingfortips wrote:

I heard yesterday as well and got 4 emails from them: 1) Welcome to WashU Grad Programs 2) We received your Olin application 3) An interview invite and 4) A password reset link. They all came from the same "Olin Grad Programs" email address and within 20 minutes of one another. I think there's a create a portal link in the "Welcome to WashU Grad Programs," where you can initiate another password reset link. Mine all came to the email I address I used on my application. Message me if I can help further!
Yeah it's odd...I never received the Welcome email or password reset link. Checked all through my inbox and every nook & cranny. Really annoying...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 07:03
imlookingfortips wrote:
sT470s wrote:

Good luck to everyone!

1) You get admitted but no CGSM membership. From what I heard this is very rare but possible if something in your profile or membership essay was not good.
2) You get admitted but only CGSM membership, no fellowship. This gives you access to all the Consortium benefits including alumni and OP, just without any grants. The school you picked #1 still can still give you funds on their own (for instance give you 25% scholarship). But it also allows the next schools to give you fellowship, partial or full.
3) You get admitted but only a partial fellowship. This allows the next school to give you a full fellowship and your choice of school. Another school can give you the full fellowship if they so choose.

Once a school gives you a full fellowship it's game over. No one else can play since you were drafted. You can still be selected to their school, but no Consortium.

Schools:
2) Yale - Rejected

So you can choose #3 or 5 and still get Consortium. Picking #1 gets you nothing but you would have gotten Consortium membership IF no other schools gave you a fellowship. But you did as you'll see... Pick 3 and you get some partial scholarship. Pick 4 and you also get some scholarship but no Consortium (since someone already picked you for some funds). Pick 6 gets you also a full ride but you won't get Consortium since you were already offered the full fellowship. How much membership is worth it to you is up to interpretation and choosing between school 5 and 6.

I think this is how it works, but I could be wrong...this is just from what I interpreted.

Note: If you get a scenario like this you're one lucky SOB lol. I'm just throwing together an unlikely scenario to demonstrate the rules of the game.

It's an interesting game, to say the least. The whole admissions process is a weird game, so it makes sense that the Consortium has it's own interesting rules.

Thanks for this explanation, however I'm unsure about a couple of points. Are there any actual partial fellowships? I know many schools will offer different scholarship amounts to students they aren't able to offer a fellowship to for whatever reason, but I don't think it's considered a "fellowship" in association with the Consortium. Also, once the Consortium grants you membership you can receive those benefits (OP, networking etc.) at any of their member schools that granted you admission regardless of if another school granted you the fellowship. So in your example, if you did attend school #4 or #6 you would still be a Consortium member, just without the fellowship.
Consortium Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 13:06
Has anyone who applied to MLT PD round 1 heard back yet?

GMAT Debrief: 590 to 710 - 5 best tips

Consortium Thread Master
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 16:28
imlookingfortips wrote:

I don't think this is quite right. If you attend any consortium school you get membership even if you choose a school that did not give you $ or was in a different order of ranking.

Check out this link
"As long as you ultimately attend a Consortium member school, you will still benefit from membership perks such as recruitment and networking events, webinars, and chats."

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 18:40
5mbahopeful2019 wrote:
imlookingfortips wrote:
sT470s wrote:

Good luck to everyone!

Schools:
2) Yale - Rejected

Thanks for this explanation, however I'm unsure about a couple of points. Are there any actual partial fellowships? I know many schools will offer different scholarship amounts to students they aren't able to offer a fellowship to for whatever reason, but I don't think it's considered a "fellowship" in association with the Consortium. Also, once the Consortium grants you membership you can receive those benefits (OP, networking etc.) at any of their member schools that granted you admission regardless of if another school granted you the fellowship. So in your example, if you did attend school #4 or #6 you would still be a Consortium member, just without the fellowship.

When I was visiting Kelley Diviersity Weekend a couple years back a few students mentioned partial fellowships.

To be honest I'll be happy with enrollment + Consortium membership without the scholarship. I'm a long-shot candidate with a crud GMAT and GPA but I've waited an entire year to boost all that up and couldn't... I'm going to be 30 in October and I can't keep putting **** on hold for the mythical MBA. It's all in this year. Get into a ranked school or just try betting on myself on an unranked or low ranked school since my experience is pretty good. I mean I'd love scholarship but that's not even in my rearview mirror atm. I'd be eternally grateful just with an admit lol

So yeah, the whole fellowship aspect has been something I haven't entirely paid attention to. Could easily be wrong about how that works and its only full scholarships. I just assume that I'm not getting a dime if I got an admit.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 18:52
imlookingfortips Just out of curiosity what schools did you apply to? I'm sure you'll get in somewhere.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 18:59
BR530 wrote:
imlookingfortips Just out of curiosity what schools did you apply to? I'm sure you'll get in somewhere.

Consortium schools I applied:
- Kelley (Interviewed)
- Simon
- Olin (Interviewed)
- Ross
- Anderson
- Kenan-Flagler

Non-Consortium I applied:
- Carlson (Interviewing)
- Fisher
- Smeal

I'm likely to apply another 2 schools next week as an extra precaution. Then a backup school in the T50 the following week that's near my location. And finally a program in my state that's a Top 70 program that is inexpensive and sure to get in on experience alone. Actually debating that or Tepper Part Time as a backup option (I'm not local to Pittsburgh, just a unique Part Time program with a very interesting clause that I don't think is highly talked about...I wish more PT programs offered the same).
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 19:13
energy2pe wrote:
imlookingfortips wrote:

I don't think this is quite right. If you attend any consortium school you get membership even if you choose a school that did not give you $ or was in a different order of ranking.

Check out this link
"As long as you ultimately attend a Consortium member school, you will still benefit from membership perks such as recruitment and networking events, webinars, and chats."

Hmm...it's possible. I remember though that the purpose of ranking the schools was both for membership and fellowship. But I could be mistaken and the discussion was only for the Fellowship (since I'm assuming that most students are interested in the fellowship for obvious reasons).

I'm actually more keen on the membership as OP is an incredible program. The opportunity to recruit outside your school's sphere of influence is huge. Makes it an easy choice to choose programs that might not have the best OCR but have great MBA programs and are smaller. Also makes the school ranking completely irrelevant.

Plus, who can pass up on the opportunity to have an internship before you even begin school?
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q150 V151
GPA: 3.12

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 13:02
I heard we won't know until like a week after March 13th

Yus wrote:
hopefullyim2021 wrote:
Does anyone know the exact date consortium will be conducting the infamous “mba draft”

Posted from my mobile device

It's March 13th
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 16:19
I'm in a little bit of a conflicting situation.

Does anyone know if Consortium schools know if you've accepted another Consortium school before the draft, therefore jeopardizing your chances of receiving a fellowship?

i.e.: The school I ranked first rejected me. The school I ranked second admitted me and did not offer me the Consortium fellowship, but has a deadline to submit the first deposit by March 1st which is before the draft. I have a couple more schools that I have been admitted to that I ranked lower and am interested in if I do received the fellowship, but I wouldn't know if they extend me the fellowship until the draft.

-- Would the remaining schools I ranked lower than 2 know if I submit a deposit to the school that needs a decision by March 1st in case I don't receive a fellowship after the draft, therefore leading the schools to not extend me a fellowship given that they know I already accepted the school that didn't offer me the fellowship?

A confusing and annoying situation, but let me know if anyone has been through this.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Goizueta '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 18:46
ncu0493 wrote:
I'm in a little bit of a conflicting situation.

Does anyone know if Consortium schools know if you've accepted another Consortium school before the draft, therefore jeopardizing your chances of receiving a fellowship?

i.e.: The school I ranked first rejected me. The school I ranked second admitted me and did not offer me the Consortium fellowship, but has a deadline to submit the first deposit by March 1st which is before the draft. I have a couple more schools that I have been admitted to that I ranked lower and am interested in if I do received the fellowship, but I wouldn't know if they extend me the fellowship until the draft.

-- Would the remaining schools I ranked lower than 2 know if I submit a deposit to the school that needs a decision by March 1st in case I don't receive a fellowship after the draft, therefore leading the schools to not extend me a fellowship given that they know I already accepted the school that didn't offer me the fellowship?
A confusing and annoying situation, but let me know if anyone has been through this.

You need to call the school (that admitted you) and confirm when the commitment deposit is due..if you applied through Consortium, your commitment deposit deadlines are likely pushed back.

Your second choice school could very well offer you a fellowship (you won’t know until after the draft). If you applied with the first deadline, only your first choice was allowed to offer (or not offer) you the fellowship at that time. All the others have to wait until the draft.

If your second choice doesn’t offer you the fellowship, choices 3-6 (in that order) will get the opportunity. Once a school offers you a fellowship, no other school can. Anyway, double check with the school that admitted you. If you applied through Consortium, your deadline is likely pushed back.

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Goizueta '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 18:50
If you attend any consortium school you get membership even if you choose a school that did not give you $ or was in a different order of ranking.

This is technically correct. Consortium can offer you membership as long as you’re accepted and go to a member school. You don’t have to have the fellowship (which is dependent on the school) to be offered membership (which is dependent on Consortium), but you do have to have membership to be offered the fellowship.

(Even if you don’t get the Consortium fellowship, your lower ranked schools could still offer you scholarships if they want you bad enough.)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 19:19
I haven't heard anything from Anderson (UCLA) - should I assume I'm not getting an interview at this point?
Consortium Thread Master
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 15:20
ReadytoSOAR wrote:
If you attend any consortium school you get membership even if you choose a school that did not give you $ or was in a different order of ranking.

This is technically correct. Consortium can offer you membership as long as you’re accepted and go to a member school. You don’t have to have the fellowship (which is dependent on the school) to be offered membership (which is dependent on Consortium), but you do have to have membership to be offered the fellowship.

(Even if you don’t get the Consortium fellowship, your lower ranked schools could still offer you scholarships if they want you bad enough.)

Ah, good caveat, since you do get membership as long as CGSM gives it to you as well

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2019, 10:22
Hmm...quick question: Does anyone know if Consortium members get knowledge about admission before the school sends out official notices? The day before I received an official interview invite from Kelley a Consortium student contacted me and asked about my interview.

Now I received a random email from a Consortium student ambassador at one of the schools I interviewed over 2 weeks ago asking me if I had questions about the school and Consortium. Do you think that could be an indication of an incoming acceptance?
GMAT Club Bot
Calling all Consortium MBA Applicants - 2019 Intake!   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2019, 10:22

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  18    Next  [ 341 posts ] 

Calling all Consortium MBA Applicants - 2019 Intake!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap