GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Desautels(McGill) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: PMI
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Desautels(McGill) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 04:40
ManU02 wrote:
Hello All,

I want to know how are people choosing between Rotman and McGill. I have got Admit from both. Even though I am inclined towards Rotman, but one thing is keeping me from taking a straight out Decision. And that is ::

Employment Statistics after 3 months of graduation -->

1. Rotman = 70% of the students Employed after 3 months of Graduation.
2. McGill = 89% of the students Employed after 3 months of Graduation.

Given the class size of Rotman (350), almost 100 students did not receive a job offer after 3 months of graduation.

I would really appreciate any insight on the same. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Depends :- What are your post MBA goals? What is your plan B? What location are you looking at working?
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Desautels(McGill) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 04:47
KunalV21 wrote:
..and yesterday came the good news! Admitted with a decent scholarship :banana

I'd like to learn more about Prodigy Finance. Should I write to them prior to accepting the offer so that I can understand where my funds will be coming from? What are the other options of funding other than Prodigy Finance for Indian students?

Thanks,
Kunal

Congrats!
Prodigy hasnt yet listed Mcgill 2018 on their site. You can contact them online and they can help you get the course listed first and then help with details.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V35
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 05:11
shyamnambiar wrote:
KunalV21 wrote:

I'd like to learn more about Prodigy Finance. Should I write to them prior to accepting the offer so that I can understand where my funds will be coming from? What are the other options of funding other than Prodigy Finance for Indian students?

Thanks,
Kunal

Congrats!
Prodigy hasnt yet listed Mcgill 2018 on their site. You can contact them online and they can help you get the course listed first and then help with details.

Thanks Shyaam and Vijay! :)

I'd definitely get in touch with them to get the process started at least.

Is there any other way of funding the MBA? I think it's better to know about all such details prior to submitting the token money.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 05:15
KunalV21 wrote:
shyamnambiar wrote:
KunalV21 wrote:

Thanks,
Kunal

Congrats!

Thanks Shyaam and Vijay! :)

I'd definitely get in touch with them to get the process started at least.

Is there any other way of funding the MBA? I think it's better to know about all such details prior to submitting the token money.

The least you can get in India would be ~12-13%I understand. If you have a Canadian or foreign co-signer, there may be more options. Again, if you have collateral, you have some options. Need to really study options online and pit one against the other till you get your best deal. Dont pay until the last day possible. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 09:29
shyamnambiar wrote:
KunalV21 wrote:

Thanks,
Kunal

Congrats!

McGill 2018, is it year specific? I thought they had tie-ups with Univs, and every batch was considered, until the tie-up is cut?
https://prodigyfinance.com/mcgill-desau ... ement/loan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 09:40
ManU02 wrote:
Hello All,

I want to know how are people choosing between Rotman and McGill. I have got Admit from both. Even though I am inclined towards Rotman, but one thing is keeping me from taking a straight out Decision. And that is ::

Given the class size of Rotman (350), almost 100 students did not receive a job offer after 3 months of graduation.

Thanks.

If I were in your spot, would probably favour Rotman, as it apparently is a little difficult to find a job in Montreal without learning French. :) But if you are good with languages and are up for the challenge, then you could choose McGill. :) would be fun I guess.
With respect to the employment statistics, I'd say don't take that as a strict representation. Many'd wait for a specific job, role or company? Some might even be working to be an entrepreneur.
General rule is, you'll find a job in max 6 months, i.e if you really are choosy.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ACCA
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 09:52
Hi,

I am thinking of applying here. I was just wondering can anyone help me with some details? My question is does anyone know about the time-lines of the application. Meaning, say I apply on the 4th of January, how long do they normally take to inform me of their decision (including video interview). Also MOST IMPORTANTLY how long do I have (in weeks or days) to accept an offer if made by the business school?

Thanks to all in advance for the help!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 19:21
VijayG6387 wrote:
ManU02 wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks.

If I were in your spot, would probably favour Rotman, as it apparently is a little difficult to find a job in Montreal without learning French. :) But if you are good with languages and are up for the challenge, then you could choose McGill. :) would be fun I guess.
With respect to the employment statistics, I'd say don't take that as a strict representation. Many'd wait for a specific job, role or company? Some might even be working to be an entrepreneur.
General rule is, you'll find a job in max 6 months, i.e if you really are choosy.

I think if we extrapolate the same thinking i.e. selectivity and entrepreneurship to McGill in lesser proportion, you'd see that the factor of native/full proficiency of French will nullify. If it were so tough to find a job without knowing/some knowledge of French, they wouldn't have been able to boast an 89% placement rate. But when we get to the absolute numbers, even if we subtract say 50 odd people out of 100 people without a job 3 months post graduation in the name of entrepreneurship, selectivity, and misc reasons, the absolute numbers are still staggering.

The problem with Rotman is its huge class size (which they plan to increase to 400 this year or next year). With McGill, I'd like to believe that there must be a loyalty factor among companies hiring from McGill and the small class size beautifully fits into the picture. It's more comforting to see that just 8 students were not able to find a job post 3 months (which might have selective and entrepreneurship folks within it) than to see 100 people.

P.S - I too am contemplating between McGill and Rotman. But the former is ahead for me in terms of the aforementioned and the ROI factor as well.

Thanks,
Kunal
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2015, 02:37
Got an admit from Mcgill with 10,000 CAD scholarship
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2015, 04:40
aakashbaweja wrote:

Congratulations!

Are you planning to join the program?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
McGill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2015, 10:20
Hello Friends,

I had my interview with Marie yesterday. I am expecting to receive the final decision from her in next week. I have an offer from Concordia (need to confirm by 7 Jan) and am awaiting an update from Sauder and Alberta. I have 3 years of supply chain finance experience with Unilever and Asian Paints in India. I did B.Com from University of Mumbai and am a CA and CFA. My career interest is Investment Management. Anybody with career interest in Finance on this group? Please let me know.

Regards,
Chinmay
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.79
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
McGill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2015, 10:48
desaichinmay22 wrote:
Hello Friends,

I had my interview with Marie yesterday. I am expecting to receive the final decision from her in next week. I have an offer from Concordia (need to confirm by 7 Jan) and am awaiting an update from Sauder and Alberta. I have 3 years of supply chain finance experience with Unilever and Asian Paints in India. I did B.Com from University of Mumbai and am a CA and CFA. My career interest is Investment Management. Anybody with career interest in Finance on this group? Please let me know.

Regards,
Chinmay

Hey

How did the interview go. Whats ur gmat score. I am from investment background. I am applying to mcgill too. I am writing my gmat on dec 29. I just recently sold my hedge fund to a japanese firm. Which other schools are you applying to.
Manager
Manager
Re: McGill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2015, 11:07
supr5988 wrote:
Hey

How did the interview go. Whats ur gmat score. I am from investment background. I am applying to mcgill too. I am writing my gmat on dec 29. I just recently sold my hedge fund to a japanese firm. Which other schools are you applying to.

Interview was great. It was conducted by Marie. I had met her earlier in Mumbai at an MBA Tour event. I am expecting to get the final decision from her in next week. My gmat is 650. So far I have applied to Sauder, Alberta and Concordia, apart from McGill. Yet to submit application to Rotman and Schulich. I am not big on Toronto based schools for their high fees + high cost of living. Toronto waives GMAT for CFAs (a plus for me) and is know for its Finance program, but don't want to be one among 350-400 students after spending $110,000. McGill is my first target, as it gives the best offer in terms of reputation and cost of the program. It has a specialized offering in Investment Management under Finance specialization. I have an admit from Concordia, which also offers a good program in Investment Management, but its reputation is a concern for me. I am looking to make a switch from Supply Chain Finance to Investment Management and reputation of the program weighs in while making such a switch. Can you share your profile?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.79
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Re: McGill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2015, 11:20
Hey chinmay

I will inbox you my email and name. Did u attend the qs event in mumbai recently.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2015, 14:56
Got an admit from McGill, need to confirm by 15 Jan. No scholarship offered.
have an admit from Concordia, need to decide by 7 Jan, expecting an interview from Alberta in next week, no update from Sauder so far.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 00:44
I am looking for a funding option to arrange for second year tuition fee of McGill. Any suggestion from you guys? I am open for both Indian and international options. I need a moratorium of 1 year and will start repaying after getting employed. Please let me know.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 09:56
KunalV21 wrote:
aakashbaweja wrote:

Congratulations!

Are you planning to join the program?

I have got an admit from Sauder as well. So right now deciding between the 2.

Anyone has any information about the difference between the immigration laws of British Columbia and Quebec?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Desautels '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 10:04
I am planning to apply before the 15 jan deadline. Have written to the Admissions office but havent received an reply for days now.

As per my understanding:

1) TOEFL/IELTS is not required if u have completed undergrad in english medium. I have my transcript which clearly states that the medium of instruction was english. So I believe I am exempt.
2) During the application we first need to submit reference details and then make the payment. After that upload documents ( essays, transcripts etc.). Is there anything left?
Does the reference form is automatically sent out once we make the payment.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am currently working on essays and any help on this front would be crucial esp. when it seems that Adcom might not be available to respond to any queries due to winter vacations in canada.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 10:06
You intend on immigrating to Quebec? Without French knowledge, it would be very difficult. If Finance is your interest, then in terms of program and placement, McGill is better than Sauder.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 10:12
bharatgakhar wrote:
I am planning to apply before the 15 jan deadline. Have written to the Admissions office but havent received an reply for days now.

As per my understanding:

1) TOEFL/IELTS is not required if u have completed undergrad in english medium. I have my transcript which clearly states that the medium of instruction was english. So I believe I am exempt.
2) During the application we first need to submit reference details and then make the payment. After that upload documents ( essays, transcripts etc.). Is there anything left?
Does the reference form is automatically sent out once we make the payment.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am currently working on essays and any help on this front would be crucial esp. when it seems that Adcom might not be available to respond to any queries due to winter vacations in canada.

For the first point you are correct, since transcript mentions that medium of instruction was English, you are exempted.
For the second point, once you pay the application fee, your referees will receive the link to upload their letters. There are employment history form and application survey form which you will have to provide along with transcripts, essays, CV etc.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Desautels(McGill) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2015, 10:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13    Next  [ 247 posts ] 

Calling all Desautels(McGill) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!

new topic post reply Update application status