It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Desautels (McGill) Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.04
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling all Desautels (McGill) Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 21:34
aakashbaweja wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am a first year MBA student at Desautels. If you guys need any help with anything from Admission process to information about Montreal, dont hesitate to contact me here or PM me for my contact number. I will be happy to share and help you guys.

Hey Aakash,
Thanks for offering help. Here comes my array of questions !
1. Why did you choose Mcgill over Sauder and Schullish ?
2. After spending a year in Montreal , do you think you have made a good decision?
3. How is the overall placement success for Indian students graduating from Mcgill ?
4. Toronto is just 300 miles from Montreal. Are there enough opportunities to network in Toronto , as i read that Montreal is tough for for non francophones ?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
Re: Calling all Desautels (McGill) Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 13:16
VijayG6387 wrote:
akifm wrote:
VijayG6387 wrote:
Hey everyone, all the best for your applications. I am a year 1 @ Desautels and hope to see you all next year. If you have any questions that I could help you with, please let me know. I might respond a bit slow cause of the schedule here, but will surely respond. Also, please note that I am not here officially, and the opinions/remarks/suggestions I give are from my own experiences so far. Again, all the very best to you all.

Best Regards,
Vijay G

Thanks for the assistance Vijay! Can you pls tell how much of a factor does French play in recruiting and throughout the program in general? any particular industry where it's a requirement?

It depends on what you are looking for post MBA. If you want to get into Marketing in any industry here in Montreal or Québec, French skills is non-negotiable. There are certain companies that insist that you be bilingual, and there are many roles that expect you to be bilingual. There are certain companies, which if they like you, will relax it a bit but will entertain you to learn French upon joining them, which is logical as you do not want to be left out of conversations all the time during the coffee breaks. Having said that, there are two things students do: 1. Learn French. 2. Look for jobs outside Montreal (which is what I've opted for.)

Montreal is Francophone. But you'd do fine when it comes to living in Montreal and getting through the program, as the program is entirely in English and everyone in the faculty will use English as primary as long as you are not alone with them and they know you speak French. You'll have no problems whatsoever finishing the program. People are friendly and like you more if you make an attempt to speak French. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Vijay G

Vijay,

can you please elloborate a little bit more on the JOB prospects and ROI part of an McGill MBA.

and please add a bit about life at McGill for indian students

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Re: Calling all Desautels (McGill) Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 19:40
This post received
KUDOS
bissasa wrote:
aakashbaweja wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am a first year MBA student at Desautels. If you guys need any help with anything from Admission process to information about Montreal, dont hesitate to contact me here or PM me for my contact number. I will be happy to share and help you guys.

Hey Aakash,
Thanks for offering help. Here comes my array of questions !
1. Why did you choose Mcgill over Sauder and Schullish ?
2. After spending a year in Montreal , do you think you have made a good decision?
3. How is the overall placement success for Indian students graduating from Mcgill ?
4. Toronto is just 300 miles from Montreal. Are there enough opportunities to network in Toronto , as i read that Montreal is tough for for non francophones ?

Okay Nice questions
1. Mcgill over Schulich:
Schulich- More expensive, did not offer scholarship, Location away from downtown Toronto, Mcgill has better reputation compared to Schulich.

McGill Over Sauder:
This was a tough one for me because Sauder was my dream school. But Sauder increased its tuition fees to 65K last year plus no scholarship to me. Living expenses in BC are more as compared to Quebec. Moreover, Sauder didnt guarantee me a 3 year work permit after 16 month program.

2. Yes, Montreal is a fabulous city. If you French, then its even better. Even if you don't, you can still fall in love with it. ( If you don't mind excessive construction going on everywhere). McGill is a really good school and career services put a lot of effort in making the program a success.

3. McGill is Harvard of Canada. Don't worry about placements. Having said that, it doesn't mean you will get a job just because you are a McGill student. You have to put in a lot of effort. For Indian students and those from Asian subcontinent, The biggest problem is networking because we are usually not used to it and here in North America, your resume wont get you a job but building relationship with people. So start practicing on networking right away because once you are here, that's the word you are going to hear everyday 100 times.

4. Being bilingual is an asset in Montreal but that doesnt mean you cant get a job if you dont speak French. Many of our seniors have done their internships here in Montreal and they dont speak French. We recently had a Toronto Trip to network in Toronto. Again, you have to make contacts in Toronto, invite people for coffee chats and that can mean travelling to Toronto on your own expense.

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 10:33
aakashbaweja wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hi Aakash,

please let us know a bit more about life at Montreal, necessasity of French, Job prospects and ROI.

I know its a very generalistic question without a specific answer but please throw some light on those aspects, so that we can come prepared.

regards
ARUN

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GRE 1: 322 Q164 V158
GPA: 2.87
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
My Desautels Review [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Katz ThreadMaster

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 14:16
Got an interview tomorrow with Antoinette Molino. Can someone throw light on what I should expect?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 20:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Phenomenal wrote:
Got an interview tomorrow with Antoinette Molino. Can someone throw light on what I should expect?

Why MBA , Why MCgill , Some on work profile : Why do you like your job. , Day in life of a consultant , strength , weakness.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 14:54
Hi Guys,

Nice to see everyone's comments here. Had a quick question:

Do TOEFL scores need to be sent for UG students from IITs from India?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GRE 1: 322 Q164 V158
GPA: 2.87
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 16:06
Cyclops11 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Asked the current students from IIT - they said they didn't. Always to be on the safe side, email the admissions team to confirm - you might get other waivers too.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
Reviews Badge
Calling all Desautels (McGill) Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 13:48
aroon31400 wrote:

Vijay,

can you please elloborate a little bit more on the JOB prospects and ROI part of an McGill MBA.

and please add a bit about life at McGill for indian students

I think Aakash here has answered more of these questions, let me know if you need me to answer more specifically. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Vijay G

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 13:53
Cyclops11 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I do not think so as long as your UG degree was in English. But like Yashsinha has mentioned, would be best to write to Antoinette Molino and get it confirmed. I see that most Canadian universities do not care about IELTS/TOEFL if you are from India and your previous degree was in English.

Best Regards,
Vijay G

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 18:29
VijayG6387 wrote:
Cyclops11 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I do not think so as long as your UG degree was in English. But like Yashsinha has mentioned, would be best to write to Antoinette Molino and get it confirmed. I see that most Canadian universities do not care about IELTS/TOEFL if you are from India and your previous degree was in English.

Best Regards,
Vijay G

I read that language test is required for student visa. ( not mandatory but recommended )

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 11:50
bissasa wrote:
VijayG6387 wrote:

Best Regards,
Vijay G

I read that language test is required for student visa. ( not mandatory but recommended )

There is a question in the form that asks if you have taken some form of a language test, yes, but didn't have any field asking for us to submit an artefact proving it. May be they'll ask for it if they get suspicious, but yeah you are right, best to complete it and be ready. :)

Best,
Vijay G

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 13:38
Got an admit with 16k scholarship ...

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 13:40
Has someone created the WhatsApp group? If not, I can create one and add others ... Please let me know.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 14:22
ankit160 wrote:
Has someone created the WhatsApp group? If not, I can create one and add others ... Please let me know.

Hi, congrats, pm Sinchan for whatsapp.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 14:33
Hi,

I'm filling out the Desautels app form. Where do I have an option to upload the essays? I'm sure I selected the FT 2-year MBA and have options to fill my recommendor's names and email addresses etc. However, I don't see anywhere to write info about academic/work history and upload the essays. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 09:40
Cyclops11 wrote:
Hi,

I'm filling out the Desautels app form. Where do I have an option to upload the essays? I'm sure I selected the FT 2-year MBA and have options to fill my recommendor's names and email addresses etc. However, I don't see anywhere to write info about academic/work history and upload the essays. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Facing same problem. if anyone can help.
Himanshu

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
For those who have McGill essay/referee related query for application: McGill MBA online application procedure is somewhat different than most other MBA schools. You have to first submit the application fees and then only you can get access to essay, enter referee information, work history, and other application stuffs such as uploading transcript, etc. Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 21:34
Hi Guys,

Even I got admitted. I am a bit confused on how to make the payment for the deposit fee. I don't see much of information in the offer letter. Could someone help?

Regards,
Himanshu

Re: Calling all Desautels (McGill) Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2016, 21:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 209 posts ]