GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 04:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 30
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 06:50
Hey guys, been following discussions here for a while and got few useful tips for my application. Also, congrats to those who were invited for an interview, please keep sharing your experience for all of us hoping to get in in R2! I have a generic question for you, hope you guys have an answer for that.

As far as I'm aware HBS (much like everyone else) reviews applications on a rolling basis. So does that mean submitting it well before the deadline gives you some advantage and vice versa?

Cheers
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 05 Nov 2015
Posts: 424
Location: United States (GA)
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 11:21
3
BananaNation wrote:
Hey guys, been following discussions here for a while and got few useful tips for my application. Also, congrats to those who were invited for an interview, please keep sharing your experience for all of us hoping to get in in R2! I have a generic question for you, hope you guys have an answer for that.

As far as I'm aware HBS (much like everyone else) reviews applications on a rolling basis. So does that mean submitting it well before the deadline gives you some advantage and vice versa?

Cheers


I’m not sure where you got this information but I’ve actually heard the opposite and that most schools will not review any applications until after the deadline has past. HBS is definitely in this camp too because they actually post this on their website. As long as you submit before the deadline your application will be evaluated along with everyone else’s. There is no advantage to applying before the deadline.

Keep in mind that the ad com is admitting a diverse class not a bunch of individuals. In order to do that they need to evaluate the applicant pool and class together not on an individual basis...and that would be difficult to do with a “rolling” review.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 149
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 12:09
3
BananaNation wrote:
As far as I'm aware HBS (much like everyone else) reviews applications on a rolling basis.


This is incorrect, HBS waits until after the admissions deadline to review any applications in that cycle.

In case you're wondering what happens after you click "submit" at HBS:


The applications are then distributed to pairs of deans who oversee different career "sectors." The two of them then scored applications in order to make decisions on whom to invite to interview. Disagreements over application scores go to a senior third dean for arbitration. Once all the interview spots for an individual sector are awarded, if the dean still believes their sector has some candidates with amazing narratives left over, the deans will go back to the Admissions Director and petition for more interview slots for their sector. (this is why a compelling personal narrative is so critical in your application!)

If you are invited to interview, you will speak with whichever dean happens to be on duty during your time period. Sometimes this person happens to be one of the deans in your sector who has read your full application. Oftentimes they've only just read your resume to prep for the interview. That dean (and their reporter) then scores you and adds a report to your application.

Then the whole package goes to the admissions director -- who is seeing your package for the first time -- in order to make final admissions decisions. Including whether to put you on the waitlist.

Hope this helps! Contact us with questions!
_________________

Best,
Nate


IvyAdmissionsGroup.com | Want to know your odds of admission? Get our free assessment here.


Apply to business school like you're running for office. You're the candidate. We're your campaign managers.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 30
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 13:19
Cheers guys, appreciate your help!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Posts: 18
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 18:54
NateFromHBS wrote:
BananaNation wrote:
As far as I'm aware HBS (much like everyone else) reviews applications on a rolling basis.


This is incorrect, HBS waits until after the admissions deadline to review any applications in that cycle.

In case you're wondering what happens after you click "submit" at HBS:


The applications are then distributed to pairs of deans who oversee different career "sectors." The two of them then scored applications in order to make decisions on whom to invite to interview. Disagreements over application scores go to a senior third dean for arbitration. Once all the interview spots for an individual sector are awarded, if the dean still believes their sector has some candidates with left over, the deans will go back to the Admissions Director and petition for more interview slots for their sector. (this is why a is so critical in your application!)

If you are, you will speak with whichever dean happens to be on duty during your time period. Sometimes this person happens to be one of the deans in your sector who has read your full application. Oftentimes they've only just read your resume to prep for the interview. That dean (and their reporter) then scores you and adds a report to your application.

Then the whole package goes to the admissions director -- who is seeing your package for the first time -- in order to make final admissions decisions. Including whether to put you on the
Hope this helps!


----------------
Nate,

Couple of follow-ups:
- Who makes the final decision? So basically are you saying that the admissions director goes over the applications of all interviewed applicants?
- Do you know how many applicants (or %) get into the waitlist after interviewing?
- Any advice for post-interview waiting days?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Posts: 20
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.2
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 17:25
Curious if anyone here knows what 'Recommender Questions' are included in the LOR form. I see on Harvard's Application Process page that there are 2 questions, but it also says that the form will include "other types of questions". Curious if this is the GMAC common form or not (?). If anyone can provide further details, it would be very helpful and appreciated!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Posts: 18
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 18:32
two weeks to go...
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 23
Location: Israel
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.32
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 22:44
EBITDAD wrote:
two weeks to go...


I feel you man...
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Location: United States
Schools: HBS '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q166 V161
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 09:27
EBITDAD wrote:
two weeks to go...


This is more nerve racking than waiting for interview invites...
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Posts: 18
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 17:44
3
28 NOV 2017
Countdown to December 12

Just two weeks from today, we will release Round 1 admissions decisions via the Application Status page. Just log-in at noon eastern time on December 12. In the meantime, try not to think about it! (I know, easier said than done).

I promise we are not making you wait, just to wait. We are diligently going over each entire application (yes, including your post-interview reflections) as we work to shape an outstanding Class of diverse perspectives.

One last thing: keep in mind that if you are admitted, you won’t hear about financial aid yet. Admission to HBS is based on merit, but financial aid is based on need. So there is a separate (easy) process after you are admitted to apply for aid. Many are surprised to know that ~50% of HBS students receive financial fellowships that do not have to be paid back—and the average two-year fellowship is over $70K. So there is a lot of support! More details are here on our new Financial Aid website.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 12:34
Hispanic Male applying R2 this cycle
GPA: 3.3 in Anthropology from Top 10 US university (non-HYP)
GMAT: 710 (47Q/40V/8IR/6AWA) Only took GMAT once. During practice, scored 720-740 consistently, but always <47Q, so I am hesitant to take again.
W/E: 7 years at matriculation with all of my experience in sales & trading. Currently work in portfolio finance at an elite hedge fund with top name recognition. I have managed people every year after my first year post-graduation.
Activities outside of work:
1. For the four years post-graduation, I competed in a sport where I was ranked top 100 in the world (Olympic sport with little to no $$ it you aren't top 5-10).
2. My spouse and I are very active in an urban mentoring program and ended up fostering a child for two years that was part of that program.
3. In addition to mentoring, I coached a youth club for the same sport as above. Extremely successful.
Post-MBA: Investment banking

Any point in applying to HBS besides saying that I did it? Dream school for obvious reasons, but I am not sure if applying is worth my time at this point if my chances are very low. Looking for any critiques or advice.

Thanks everybody and best of luck
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 30
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 06:27
jeromemorrow wrote:
Hispanic Male applying R2 this cycle
GPA: 3.3 in Anthropology from Top 10 US university (non-HYP)
GMAT: 710 (47Q/40V/8IR/6AWA) Only took GMAT once. During practice, scored 720-740 consistently, but always <47Q, so I am hesitant to take again.
W/E: 7 years at matriculation with all of my experience in sales & trading. Currently work in portfolio finance at an elite hedge fund with top name recognition. I have managed people every year after my first year post-graduation.
Activities outside of work:
1. For the four years post-graduation, I competed in a sport where I was ranked top 100 in the world (Olympic sport with little to no $$ it you aren't top 5-10).
2. My spouse and I are very active in an urban mentoring program and ended up fostering a child for two years that was part of that program.
3. In addition to mentoring, I coached a youth club for the same sport as above. Extremely successful.
Post-MBA: Investment banking

Any point in applying to HBS besides saying that I did it? Dream school for obvious reasons, but I am not sure if applying is worth my time at this point if my chances are very low. Looking for any critiques or advice.

Thanks everybody and best of luck


Mate, you have one hell of a story, so I would say go for it!

In terms of IB as post-MBA goal, perhaps Wharton is a better fit (more experienced members will correct me if necessary), but I doubt HBS will see it as a red flag. In the end, it all comes down to how you present yourself to the AdCom and I think you have all the components for a successful application.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Oct 2017
Posts: 21
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 12:41
URM, Ivy undergrad, used an admissions consultant

Denied without Interview on: 2017/10/05
Heard back via: Email
Location: United States, NY
GMAT: 690, Q44, V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: 84 months
Industry: Internet and New Media
Decision Received on: 2017/10/05
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Location: United States
Schools: HBS '20, Kellogg '20
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 15:28
hey do you guys know when round 2 interviews are happening?
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 206
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 19:54
Last year my clients had interviews between mid-February and early March.

arcticTO wrote:
hey do you guys know when round 2 interviews are happening?

_________________

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 33
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 07:03
Hello! To those that are still filling the application form, can you tell me what the instructions above the Education section states on the topic of GPA and conversion?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Schools: Booth '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 07:32
Does anyone know what will happen on the 12th next week? Are there only two possibilities - accepted and rejected, or being waitlisted is also a possibility? Appreciate any insights!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Location: United States
Schools: HBS '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q166 V161
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 08:38
nhg91 wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen on the 12th next week? Are there only two possibilities - accepted and rejected, or being waitlisted is also a possibility? Appreciate any insights!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


I believe it's still possible to be waitlisted until R2 decisions come out
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: GMATMentors.com
Joined: 09 Dec 2017
Posts: 24
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 18:49
Researching or Writing Essays
Location: United States
GMAT: 770, Q49, V47
GPA: 3.9
Industry: Education
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.41
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 20:03
1
In years past HBS has been explicit that they will not make calls the day before their official notification date. I have not seen anything regarding that this year.

Has anyone else seen info that I am missing? In a day and a half it won't matter but I'm curious as if people are expecting admitted students (or some portion of admitted students) to get phone calls tomorrow?

Either way, the waiting is no fun.
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) &nbs [#permalink] 10 Dec 2017, 20:03

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  35    Next  [ 683 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.