GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 Jan 2020, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.83
Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 09:44
swapnak wrote:
I’ve got a slightly different question to ask. Say you got into McCombs, Marshall and Foster - which one would you choose? And why? Let’s say that the post MBA goal is tech consulting or product marketing for tech. And preferred location to work post-MBA is Silicon Valley.

Posted from my mobile device

My opinion would be McCombs. While the school has a good repuation for tech, I think the Austin area is even more known for it and a great opportunity to build a network in that field. McCombs offers several programs, like fellows and microconsulting projects, that I think are a little unique to MBA programs into just how involved they are with companies in the area. I'm not intimately familiar with what Marshall and Foster offer that may be similar but those programs and flexibility thereof is one of the reasons I ended up considering and applying McCombs.

Another sidenote, my interviewer was transitioning to tech and mentioned several things the school does to get people to Silicon Valley. I don't remember all of her points but something I'm sure you could research a bit.
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 10:02
swapnak wrote:
I’ve got a slightly different question to ask. Say you got into McCombs, Marshall and Foster - which one would you choose? And why? Let’s say that the post MBA goal is tech consulting or product marketing for tech. And preferred location to work post-MBA is Silicon Valley.

Posted from my mobile device

I would actually disagree with the other response and say Foster for sure. They are so strategically located with Amazon, Microsoft, etc. right in there backyard. A whopping 58% of their class went to tech last year, highest of any program in the country. That's with an average salary of over $120k (vs. Texas at $114k and 29%). If you wanted to do start-up then Austin is good, but I don't think Austin helps much in the big tech world. If I was trying to do tech I would go to Foster for sure.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V30
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 10:53
coleman62 wrote:
My opinion would be McCombs. While the school has a good repuation for tech, I think the Austin area is even more known for it and a great opportunity to build a network in that field. McCombs offers several programs, like fellows and microconsulting projects, that I think are a little unique to MBA programs into just how involved they are with companies in the area. I'm not intimately familiar with what Marshall and Foster offer that may be similar but those programs and flexibility thereof is one of the reasons I ended up considering and applying McCombs.

Another sidenote, my interviewer was transitioning to tech and mentioned several things the school does to get people to Silicon Valley. I don't remember all of her points but something I'm sure you could research a bit.

Nson40 wrote:
I would actually disagree with the other response and say Foster for sure. They are so strategically located with Amazon, Microsoft, etc. right in there backyard. A whopping 58% of their class went to tech last year, highest of any program in the country. That's with an average salary of over $120k (vs. Texas at $114k and 29%). If you wanted to do start-up then Austin is good, but I don't think Austin helps much in the big tech world. If I was trying to do tech I would go to Foster for sure.

Thank you coleman62 and Nson40 for sharing your opinions. I find it interesting that nobody wants to recommend Marshall when I pose this question. From my research, I gathered that the programs at both McCombs and Foster can be very attuned to tech. Both schools emphasize applied learning, and their respective locations have great access to tech companies. My biggest concern, however, is recruiting. I've heard that most tech companies that hire at McCombs are regional. While the same is true with Foster, Seattle is closer to the Bay Area and I would assume that it's easier to move to a full-time position in Silicon Valley from Amazon or MS rather than from NXP or Dropbox. I thought that gives Foster a slight edge over McCombs. However, McCombs' reputation surpasses Foster's and an MBA from McCombs might be more appealing to recruiters, so that could tip the scale in favor of McCombs. Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
B
Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 12:05
Everything I remember hearing about tech recruiting for any school I visited is that it doesn't usually follow the on campus recruiting model of banking and consulting. You have to do a lot of the footwork on your own. I think both programs would set you up well to do that either by reputation, location, or both.

I'd say the best thing you could probably do is try to connect with a current student or recent alum at any of those programs that is working in tech or heading that way and ask them about recruiting. I'm sure both schools would be happy to connect you with someone if you ask. I had some specific questions for schools and always found people happy to chat and share their experiences with recruiting.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V30
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 12:24
coleman62 wrote:
Everything I remember hearing about tech recruiting for any school I visited is that it doesn't usually follow the on campus recruiting model of banking and consulting. You have to do a lot of the footwork on your own. I think both programs would set you up well to do that either by reputation, location, or both.

I'd say the best thing you could probably do is try to connect with a current student or recent alum at any of those programs that is working in tech or heading that way and ask them about recruiting. I'm sure both schools would be happy to connect you with someone if you ask. I had some specific questions for schools and always found people happy to chat and share their experiences with recruiting.

Thanks, coleman62. I totally agree! This is what I learned from my informational interviews with students and alum from both McCombs and Foster as well. While the Longhorns have told me that the McCombs brand helped open several doors for them even in the Bay Area, the Huskies I spoke with said that being in Seattle enabled them to gain internship positions easily and thus, gave them a better chance at recruiting. What I am having a tough time with is figuring out which school is better for tech recruiting. Both have their advantages. Whichever school I end up choosing, I do realize that I have to do a lot of the footwork on my own!
Current Student
B
Status: Organised Chaos - aka 'Method to the Madness' aka Mad Maxx
Concentration: Technology, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 04:24
G'day everyone,

As the decision date approaches (29th March), the anticipation goes up a few notches every other day. I also find that, while at work, my mind increasingly is occupied with the admissions outcome and how the committee might be viewing my application.

All this did get me thinking: does the school get in touch with your referees or your employers prior to announcing the results ? If so, should it have happened by now ? Can someone shed some light on this aspect ?

Cheers
R
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 04:28
dataman wrote:
G'day everyone,

As the decision date approaches (29th March), the anticipation goes up a few notches every other day. I also find that, while at work, my mind increasingly is occupied with the admissions outcome and how the committee might be viewing my application.

All this did get me thinking: does the school get in touch with your referees or your employers prior to announcing the results ? If so, should it have happened by now ? Can someone shed some light on this aspect ?

Cheers
R

No. They wouldn’t call your employer before you lol. Would only call your employer way later in the game if you actually accept and are going through the background check process

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 11:06
I checked video analytics and saw another view from Austin so its safe to say they have finished interviewing and are making their final decisions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 19:45
Can I view the parts of my application after I submitted it? I'd like to check if I messed up on my resume. It's for the 3rd round due in a week.
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 19:45
So does anyone know if they will call before the date? Or we have to actually wait till Thursday?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Current Student
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 20:01
Nson40 wrote:
So does anyone know if they will call before the date? Or we have to actually wait till Thursday?

I have to wait until Friday morning my time haha even worse.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 08:52
Nson40 wrote:

I went through a couple past years records and doesn't appear to be early calls. Just on the day off. One or two reported receiving their package in the mail a day or two early but I think that's more an oops.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 08:56
This wait is killinggg !!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 07:13
dloren4 wrote:
Can I view the parts of my application after I submitted it? I'd like to check if I messed up on my resume. It's for the 3rd round due in a week.

You can't view it after submitting. Only school I applied to (out of 4) that doesn't give you a draft. You don't have your res saved somewhere?
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.36

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 22:57
coleman62 wrote:
Nson40 wrote:

I went through a couple past years records and doesn't appear to be early calls. Just on the day off. One or two reported receiving their package in the mail a day or two early but I think that's more an oops.

I doubt they would even call. For R1, they just sent an email that said your status had been updated and you need to log in and check. But the rejections came first, admits were sent our on that late afternoon. McCombs does have a lot of unique personality for sure. :-D :-D :-D
Current Student
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 16:27
Top Contributor
Good luck for tomorrow guys! You should start getting calls in the afternoon but do note that some of us never got a phone call at all but were admitted none the less. I know Max and others have shared this in the past but we have a fairly large Admitted Students group on Whatsapp which is linked below. PM me if you are not able to join and I can add as required. Hope to connect with all R2 admitted students here...

https://chat.whatsapp.com/904mgyzYqET7WrpbtHAjPY
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 07:04
Good luck to all R2 folks! We have a chat room to discuss decision updates. Join us here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat5.php?fl=menu

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 07:57
Just got the call! :grin: Good luck to everyone!
Current Student
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.49
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 08:01
Admitted! Received my call at 10:40 eastern!
Current Student
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 08:03
Top Contributor
Congratulations guys!! Please join the admitted students group on WhattsApp as well as the Facebook group for the CO 2020 admitted students.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/904mgyzYqET7WrpbtHAjPY
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 08:03

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34    Next  [ 677 posts ] 

Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: RicAssassin