It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Ross Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GRE 1: 332 Q168 V164
GPA: 3.5
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 01:03
jole101 wrote:

Had my interview yesterday. Very different to what I expected - only one behavioural question. Interview took about 30min, talked about my motivations, how I ended up at my current employer and some more general questions (a leader I admire, Why MIT, general questions about the company I work for).

Good luck everyone!

Wow interesting! Did they review your pre-interview essay?

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3864 [0], given: 2465

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 03:49
jole101 wrote:

Had my interview yesterday. Very different to what I expected - only one behavioural question. Interview took about 30min, talked about my motivations, how I ended up at my current employer and some more general questions (a leader I admire, Why MIT, general questions about the company I work for).

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for sharing your interview experience and good luck for the final decision. Looking forward to read interview debriefs of other applicants too.

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 03:51

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous MIT Sloan applicants

gadela wrote:
I had my interview with Sloan yesterday. it was great experience!

here's my advice for anyone who has an interview coming up and might be worried about it: act natural and be yourself!

really. that's it.

If you were invited to interview that means the AdCom already likes you and your story. In terms of interview prep, you should already have figured out who you are, what kind of impact you've had in your professional experience, and why MIT is the place for you. Sincerity is key. It is very hard to give "canned answers" to the types of questions you'll encounter because the format is so conversational and because the questions probe deep for specific examples. If you have a sincere story and your experience is actually everything that you said it was on the application, then you should have no problem talking in detail about some of the projects you worked on, the conflicts you encountered, the relationships you built, or any other accomplishments that were mentioned on the application.

good luck everybody.

flawwy wrote:
Hi all! I had an interview a week ago. Be prepared that your interviewer may know nothing about your professional experience and profile. That was my problem, as I started answering first question "What's new since your application" giving a lot of details about my last project. Later, i understood that interviewer didn't know anything about this particular project, although i wrote about it in my essays. In general, my interview was very and very conversational with only 1 or 2 behavioural questions, and questions on goals/Why MIT.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 03:52

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous MIT Sloan applicants

asa2107 wrote:
Interviewed by Admission Director on 29th Nov

-- Carry your business card ( The adcom gave me his card before beginning the interview, I was not carrying mine)
-- Started off with Has anything changed from your previous application?
-- Dwelled on Resume , work profile
-- Several Behavioral questions , and then probed deeply on how did i behave in those situations, what was I thinking, what was the other guy thinking, why did I behave in that particular fashion, What were the repercussions, etc.
--> Tell me about a situation when u implemented a creative solution
--> Tell me about a situation when u were assigned to a broken process and you corrected it
--> Tell me about a time when u faced a difficult situation with your subordinates
-- What do you want to do post MBA?
-- Why Sloan?
-- Last question was .. We have very less time left, so you could either ask me a question or you could tell me something more about yourself that is not there in your resume or that we have not covered so far. ( I chose to talk abt myself :/)

All the best.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Sloan '19 (II)

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 08:30
jole101 wrote:
jole101 wrote:
ds632 wrote:
Is there anywhere where we can look up styles of different sloan interviewers? read a few reviews and it's a mixed bag - either conversational or stern.

From what they say on http://www.mitsloanadmissions.com it is a couple of CV type questions and then 3-4 behavioural.

Good luck everyone!

I also had my interview this week. It was largely behavioral (i.e., a lot of "tell me about a time when you..."), but my interviewer was so nice that it was hard to read her. Crossing my fingers!

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 149

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 15:35
MostlyHarmless12 wrote:
jole101 wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Wow interesting! Did they review your pre-interview essay?

Frankly I'm not sure. I did not get any question regarding it, so they might not have reviewed it yet?

I am the master of my faith;
I am the captain of my soul.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Top STEM Masters degrees: Master of Finance and Master of Business Ana [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 07:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Top STEM Masters degrees: Master of Finance and Master of Business Analytics
We are excited to offer two STEM classified master’s degrees in finance and business analytics. While on the surface these degree opportunities may sound similar – studying at a world-class institution, action learning opportunities, and classes taught by faculty who are leaders in their field – the details of each program are really quite different.

Is Finance your passion?  Are you about to complete your undergraduate degree or have you been working in the finance industry for a few years?  Our Master of Finance (MFin) program, which can be completed in either 12 or 18 months, may be the right fit for you. As an MFin student, you may opt to concentrate in financial engineering, capital markets, or corporate finance. MFin applicants come from a variety of backgrounds with strong analytical skills. Through a rigorous curriculum the program prepares you to make an impact in a broad range of financial careers including Asset Management, Private Equity, and FinTech.

Do your interests lie in the area of Data Science?  If so, you may choose our Master of Business Analytics (MBAn) degree. This fall, MIT Sloan welcomed its first cohort of students into this specialized 12-month program. The program was launched in conjunction with the MIT Operations Research Center and is designed for recent college graduates with strong mathematical, computer science and statistical backgrounds.  If big data and programming languages such as Python, R, Julia, or JMP excite you, explore the MBAn curriculum which culminates with a hands-on summer capstone project working with companies on real business issues.

“I joined the MBAn program because I knew that when MIT set their sights on something, they do it right. I was very excited when I saw the variety of options within the program and how it combines key aspects from statistics, optimization, math, and computer science. I also think the setting for the program is both unique and amazing. At many universities, analytics programs are housed with the School of Engineering, but I feel that MBAn’s position within MIT Sloan combines technical skills with knowledge about how to implement insights. Being in a business school environment enables me to learn from a different set of students that have amazing experiences and perspectives.” –Karoline Egeland Skatteboe, MBAn ‘17

Whether a Finance or Business Analytics focus, students greatly benefit from the STEM classification of each program. The rigor of STEM classification is valued by all employers and benefits both domestic and international students. This designation also allows international students to extend their optional practical training in the United States if they so desire.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 20:26
Hi everyone, hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I am interviewing at Sloan in a couple weeks and was wondering if any of you guys are in the Boston area and would like to meet up! Thought it would be nice to meet others also pursuing an MBA - Send me a message if anyone would like to meet up for some coffee!

Sent from my SM-G928T using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 11

Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
My Sloan Review [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 20:10

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 11

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.97
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 20:20

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 14:47

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Ross Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 26

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GRE 1: 332 Q168 V164
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
For all those that interviewed: How was it?

Mine was almost exactly as expected with a mix of explaining my position, ambitions, and some behavioral questions. My interview was quite short though, maybe 30 minutes including my questions to the adcom member.

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 26

BSchool Forum Moderator

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 06:19
MostlyHarmless12 wrote:

Mine was almost exactly as expected with a mix of explaining my position, ambitions, and some behavioral questions. My interview was quite short though, maybe 30 minutes including my questions to the adcom member.

Glad to hear yours was great! I think compared to the others it was my worst interview. Didn't feel a great vibe. I expected more behavioural questions (I only got 1) but maybe it was more a case of wrong expectations on my side rather than actually different to what it's supposed to be.

Anyways - two more weeks!

Does anyone know what the release schedule is? Is it emails or updates? Calls?

I am the master of my faith;
I am the captain of my soul.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.42
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 07:13
MostlyHarmless12 wrote:

Mine covered those same topics (although I wasn't directly asked about ambitions outside of Why MBA and Why Sloan) and was short as well! I think it was under 25 minutes. It really surprised me when the interviewer said they had asked all of their questions after such a short period of time. I also was expecting a lot of follow-up questions but instead we moved to the next question after almost all of my responses.

Fingers crossed for all for the next 13 days!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 11:44
Two long weeks to go.
Any estimates / guesses on the % admit from the interviews ?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 12:04
venky12 wrote:
Two long weeks to go.

50%

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 14:43
dchopeful wrote:
venky12 wrote:
Two long weeks to go.

50%

Brutal

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Schools: Sloan '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.55
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 18:19
Did anyone on this board interview in Cambridge? I interviewed a few weeks ago and thought that there were at least 30 people interviewing. If we assume that's the average number of interviews per day (hopefully not...), then Sloan interviewed roughly interviewed 600 people (~20 interview days from 11/9 to 12/8) in Cambridge. Perhaps, Sloan interviewed another 200 across the other locations, so it conducted 800 total interviews.

Given a target class size of 400 and three rounds of admission, I think Sloan is probably trying to fill 175 seats in the first round. Perhaps, the yield is 70%, so the expected number of acceptances would be 250. That means the acceptance rate for interviewees is about 30%. What do you all think? Did Sloan actually interview fewer people?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 18:48
dbldian wrote:
Did anyone on this board interview in Cambridge? I interviewed a few weeks ago and thought that there were at least 30 people interviewing. If we assume that's the average number of interviews per day (hopefully not...), then Sloan interviewed roughly interviewed 600 people (~20 interview days from 11/9 to 12/8) in Cambridge. Perhaps, Sloan interviewed another 200 across the other locations, so it conducted 800 total interviews.

Given a target class size of 400 and three rounds of admission, I think Sloan is probably trying to fill 175 seats in the first round. Perhaps, the yield is 70%, so the expected number of acceptances would be 250. That means the acceptance rate for interviewees is about 30%. What do you all think? Did Sloan actually interview fewer people?

https://www.clearadmit.com/2012/08/admi ... od-garcia/

"Essentially there are two major groups of attributes – demonstrated success (GMAT, GPA, work success) and leadership attributes. We add up the sum of the two scores, and based on those two scores I will decide the 18 percent who will be invited for an interview.
Is it always 18 percent? No. The size of the class is relatively constant – 350 MBAs plus roughly 50 in our Leaders for Global Operations dual degree program. The other number that is constant is the number of people we will interview. The percentage of candidates who are invited for an interview varies depending on the total number of applications we receive. But it is no more than 800 people, and from there we will admit slightly more than half. They are then interviewed by members of the admissions committee. Committee members will score them again, and based on those scores, we will pick the 50 percent to admit." - Rod Garcia

Granted, this is from 2012, so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck, everyone!

Intern
Intern

MIT Sloan Master of Finance (MFin): Application Tips & Advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 06:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: MIT Sloan Master of Finance (MFin): Application Tips & Advice

The application deadline for the Master of Finance (MFin) program is quickly approaching. We hope this blog will provide some insights and tips on navigating our application process.

As you know, we have ONE deadline, so it is important that ALL materials be submitted online by the application deadline – January 5, 2017 3:00 pm ET. Specific instructions and a list of required application materials can be found on our website.

When reviewing candidates for the Master of Finance program we are assessing academic abilities, a passion for finance, and personal attributes such as leadership skills, relationship building skills, and personal presence.

Here are a few tips about the application materials:

• Ensure that application materials demonstrate key competencies such as your academic achievements, internship/work success, and test scores as this information provides a comprehensive perspective of your abilities.
  • GMAT/GRE test results—timing may not always be convenient but you should SELF REPORT your test scores by the deadline even if the official scores will not arrive in time. We will verify the scores when you are admitted.
  • Letters of Recommendation—get to your recommenders early to give them time to write the letter; make certain they know what is expected of them and remind them of the importance of our deadline—they are busy people!
  • IELTS and TOEFL scores—you should SELF REPORT your test scores by the deadline.
The bottom line is this is your story—be authentic!

What happens next? A subset of applicants will be invited to interview. Interviews are conducted in person and will take place at our campus in Cambridge, MA and in several hub cities in Asia, Latin America and Europe. If you are invited to interview, you are always welcome to come to campus!

If you’re interested in learning more, admissions representatives will be hosting an informational online webinar on Thursday, December 8 at 10:00 am ET. Please join us to gather more tips for creating a successful MFin application. Should you have additional questions, please send them to mfinadmissions@sloan.mit.edu.

We look forward to receiving your application to the MFin program!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

MIT Sloan Master of Finance (MFin): Application Tips & Advice   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2016, 06:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  25    Next  [ 498 posts ] 

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap