It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
My Sloan Review [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 08:53

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Concentration: International Business, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 08:56

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 09:02

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Schools: Sloan '19 (I)
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
dd99 wrote:
Fully appreciate the sensitivity and empathize with everyone who got dinged by MIT, but I really need to ask this out of curiosity, it's been consuming me for the past couple of days.

Has any R1 applicant from India been interviewed/waitlisted/admitted into the Sloan program yet? I can say per Livewire posts that there are barely 2-3 Indian invitees in R2 and I honestly think even this is an overestimate (also fully understand that most Indians may not use Livewire, but they sure use GMAT Club, at least those with such a commitment level that they can pull together an M7 applicantion). I fully understand that Sloan has rejected people with amazing stats and resumes from around the world, but this seems unusually cruel by any objective standards. Their class has 4% from South Asia, so that's less than 14 from India. Having made a visit to their campus all the way from India in December, I can say that it really seems lower than that. Does Sloan have something against Indians?

Given the way the invites have been handled for Indians in R2, something does seem off to me. I've done my best to canvass not just GMAT club and Livewire etc but the % of Indian applicants who got invites in R2 seems completely out of whack. I wanted to check if they got their quota of Indians in R1 and the data from GMAT Club and Livewire suggests otherwise. So my fellow Indian applicants to Sloan who got invited, where art thou?

I understand people might not be willing to debate this, or that it might not be a debate-worthy topic, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious on this. Any one has more information on this, please share. Thanks

Hey guys, after looking for old posts and reaching out to people on the thread by PM, I can say that perhaps 2 guys got invited to interviews in R1 and one of them got the final admission. On the Feb 20th long weekend, they had what they call AdMIT (clever right :-D ) weekend and they posted a pic on twitter. I don't know how these things work and not sure whether people from outside the country even bother to show up, but basically I see 4 people of 'South Asian' origin (sorry, I don't mean to be insensitive at all, but desperate times :| ) and I know 2 of the 4 are current students (met them on campus), so basically some 1-2 people in a picture of maybe 100-150 people. Assuming most of the admits in US showed up, that probably means they admitted maybe 200 people in R1. We know only 1 Indian in R1 from GMAT club and zero invites in R2. This is really heartbreaking. I usually stay away from these sort of things but was heavily invested in this decision, went to their campus towards the end of last year all the way from India, didn't even bother to visit many other schools (and applied only to MIT among the ones I actually visited). Will take sometime to recover. :|

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [2], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.9
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, don't bother yourself, seriously. Any school just a school.

Yes, it's cool, there is no doubt! But life does not end here. Go to McKinsey or Goldman, or whatever company is interesting for you, earn a lot of money, make an exit and start a startup. Whatever, there are so many opportunities around, so many ways to build your beautiful future. Look at how many people are exceptionally succesful without a degree! Did Richard Feynman or Elon Mask had MBA degree? Sakharov, Oppenheimer, anyone? Watt, Gates, Newton? Mmm? There's no reason to think that any company or institution is your only way to be a good man and have a good life.

Look at Jack Ma, guy was rejected like 5 times and now is one of the richest men on Earth. Brian Akton failed job interview with Facebook and then sold Whatsapp back to them for billions. If he did not fail that day he would probably earn 100k nowadays, ha-ha.

Every selection is subjective by definition. Yes, school do their best to gather best candidates! But it doesn't imply that you are not worth it if you are not admitted. Imagine having 6k candidates for 400 spots. Yes, 4k can probably go away right away. And then you got 2k left and all of them work for world's best companies, have 750+ GMAT, 4.0 GPA and are super motivated.

You all are great, young and you can do anything and be anyone you want. Take care!

Kudos [?]: 15 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 04:24
Does anyone here know when the second admitted students weekend is for Sloan in April?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 08:40

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Venture Capital)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 08:42

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 10

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 08:45

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 39

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3783 [0], given: 2445

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 21:02

Kudos [?]: 3783 [0], given: 2445

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 05:39

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 19

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 05:44

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Schools: Sloan '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 14:27
New U.S. News Rankings out for 2017

Harvard University
University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)

University of Chicago (Booth)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)
Northwestern University (Kellogg)
Stanford University

University of California—​Berkeley (Haas)

Dartmouth College (Tuck)

Columbia University
Yale University

Thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 19:21
sunlinkle wrote:

Harvard University

Stanford University

Dartmouth College (Tuck)

Columbia University
Yale University

Thoughts?

Kellogg is overrated in my opinion

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 19:33
Curious what makes you say that?

mbsingh wrote:
sunlinkle wrote:

Harvard University

Stanford University

Dartmouth College (Tuck)

Columbia University
Yale University

Thoughts?

Kellogg is overrated in my opinion

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 20:11
I was there last week for class visit. It just didn't feel right. Students were excited but their excitement didn't feel organic , it was more of forced.
I don't know, its hard to explain. But like i said in my opinion it felt overrated.

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 20:15
Cool...Fair enough...Just asked because it's my top choice :-D

mbsingh wrote:
I was there last week for class visit. It just didn't feel right. Students were excited but their excitement didn't feel organic , it was more of forced.
I don't know, its hard to explain. But like i said in my opinion it felt overrated.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 12:15
dd99 wrote:
dd99 wrote:
Fully appreciate the sensitivity and empathize with everyone who got dinged by MIT, but I really need to ask this out of curiosity, it's been consuming me for the past couple of days.

Has any R1 applicant from India been interviewed/waitlisted/admitted into the Sloan program yet? I can say per Livewire posts that there are barely 2-3 Indian invitees in R2 and I honestly think even this is an overestimate (also fully understand that most Indians may not use Livewire, but they sure use GMAT Club, at least those with such a commitment level that they can pull together an M7 applicantion). I fully understand that Sloan has rejected people with amazing stats and resumes from around the world, but this seems unusually cruel by any objective standards. Their class has 4% from South Asia, so that's less than 14 from India. Having made a visit to their campus all the way from India in December, I can say that it really seems lower than that. Does Sloan have something against Indians?

Given the way the invites have been handled for Indians in R2, something does seem off to me. I've done my best to canvass not just GMAT club and Livewire etc but the % of Indian applicants who got invites in R2 seems completely out of whack. I wanted to check if they got their quota of Indians in R1 and the data from GMAT Club and Livewire suggests otherwise. So my fellow Indian applicants to Sloan who got invited, where art thou?

I understand people might not be willing to debate this, or that it might not be a debate-worthy topic, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious on this. Any one has more information on this, please share. Thanks

Hey guys, after looking for old posts and reaching out to people on the thread by PM, I can say that perhaps 2 guys got invited to interviews in R1 and one of them got the final admission. On the Feb 20th long weekend, they had what they call AdMIT (clever right :-D ) weekend and they posted a pic on twitter. I don't know how these things work and not sure whether people from outside the country even bother to show up, but basically I see 4 people of 'South Asian' origin (sorry, I don't mean to be insensitive at all, but desperate times :| ) and I know 2 of the 4 are current students (met them on campus), so basically some 1-2 people in a picture of maybe 100-150 people. Assuming most of the admits in US showed up, that probably means they admitted maybe 200 people in R1. We know only 1 Indian in R1 from GMAT club and zero invites in R2. This is really heartbreaking. I usually stay away from these sort of things but was heavily invested in this decision, went to their campus towards the end of last year all the way from India, didn't even bother to visit many other schools (and applied only to MIT among the ones I actually visited). Will take sometime to recover. :|

This is wildly off base. I know several Indian admits in my city alone, and many more in the admitted students group.

Manager
Manager
S

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 18:14
I don't usually write on such topics but I would like to share some of my experiences which may help some of you guys in the forum.

First, the data in "decision tracker" is a bit misrepresented. When you see the "location" in decision tracker it only shows the present location and not the nationality. For eg. I'm an Indian living in Singapore since 2014. When I update in decision tracker it shows my location as "Singapore". This might confuse someone because for the B-school I still fall under the Indian category. When schools put figures on their website (eg. 4% from South Asia) it's the nationality (determined by your passport) that counts and not the work visa/PR status. Hence, when you see "United States" in the decision tracker, he/she may well be an Indian residing in US.

As you can see from my stats, I applied to schools all across geographies, hence I researched on a lot of schools. A lot of my friends in Singapore and India applied to multiple international programs as well. My general observation is that people who were staying abroad i.e. NRI (Non-Resident Indians) were quite significantly preferred over those who have worked only in India. I know folks with very similar profiles getting calls just because they have international experience. This counts even more as you go up the rankings for schools.

I have myself been dinged by multiple schools (probably the most for any1 out here on gmatclub), but I don't think schools are unfair in any way. They value diversity and every school is pretty vocal about it. In my case, I think every school gave a pretty good chance to put my case forward through the application and interview and I humbly accept the outcome. Also, I thank and respect the schools that have given me an admit and I'll make sure I give my 100% in the program to be a good alum of the school :-D

These are just my thoughts and perspective. Thanks...

dd99 wrote:
dd99 wrote:

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V50
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 11:10
I see people here have already updated their status from Sloan. Is Sloan accepting students on a rolling basis, or are these from R1? I just interviewed, wondering if I can already expect to hear back.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2017, 11:10

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25    Next  [ 498 posts ] 

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap