GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Duke Prestige vs. Other Top 10 Schools

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Duke Prestige vs. Other Top 10 Schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 13:26
Hi all, I've been accepted to Fuqua this year, and am considering rejecting them and reapplying to higher ranked schools next year. My big question is, how is the prestige at Fuqua perceived in the business world vs. other higher ranked schools (e.g. Kellogg, MIT)

I'm looking at going into MBB consulting, if that helps. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Duke Prestige vs. Other Top 10 Schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 22:58
To my best knowledge Fuqua is pretty good in placing students at MBB as well. Is it better than Kellogg/MIT? Probably not. But it's pretty descent. Your decision will depend on a lot of factors. How did your applications go this season? If Duke was the highest ranked school you got, what makes you think you can get Kellogg/MIT next year? On the contrary, if you were marginally stuck/wait listed at any of the top schools or if there's a hard component of your profile that is weak (such as GMAT) than you can probably put a more convincing application next year. Also think of where you're presently in your career. If you're at 2-4 years work ex., you can probably wait another year. If you're already at 5-7 years work ex. range may be you should join this year and give your 100% at Fuqua.

Some more details regarding your profile will help other members and experts to better analyze and respond to your situation.

mbahopeful12345 wrote:
Hi all, I've been accepted to Fuqua this year, and am considering rejecting them and reapplying to higher ranked schools next year. My big question is, how is the prestige at Fuqua perceived in the business world vs. other higher ranked schools (e.g. Kellogg, MIT)

I'm looking at going into MBB consulting, if that helps. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member
Duke Prestige vs. Other Top 10 Schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 00:08
Top Contributor
mbahopeful12345 wrote:

MBB recruiting is very competitive at any school. Be it the M7 or a few level down. Fuqua is a great school and will eventually get you to MBB if you are made for it. (Strong acads, Strong GMAT , leadership skills , Prior consulting experience is a big plus)
Having said that , I know a few folks who went to Fuqua in the hopes of cracking MBB , but realized there were better job opportunities in other fields as well!! (Product Mgmt, Strategic management roles). Keep an open mind during your MBA experience.

You have to go a level deeper and check the number of internationals(if you are one) placed in MBB at Duke. The schools usually don't publish that on the website and you might have to ask the career management service.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V25
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 01:38
mbahopeful12345 wrote:

there is no school which is a direct door to MBB , in all schools including wharton it is very tough to enter.

Kindly dont waste a year , Fuqua is one of the best BSchool.

My strong opinion is , if MBB is only concern, proceed with Duke. Again repeating the same thing dont waste a year.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 06:40
What were your outcomes at schools like Kellogg/MIT this cycle? If you were waitlisted, it might be worth it to apply again next cycle after figuring out what went wrong this time.

Like others noted, you can get into a MBB firm with Duke so it's not like you're choosing between Podunk U and a M7 school.

Are you sure you can improve your profile significantly in the next few months before you apply again?

It ultimately comes down to how risk averse you are. I'd take the Duke offer and hustle my way to a MBB instead of going through another grueling round of apps and risking no admits.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 19:56
What are your stats? Fuqua is not Kellogg or MIT but a good school nonetheless but assuring an admit at a higher ranked program is no guarantee. Would love to know your stats to give better guidance on odds at a higher ranked program

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Duke Prestige vs. Other Top 10 Schools &nbs [#permalink] 30 Mar 2017, 19:56

Duke Prestige vs. Other Top 10 Schools

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap