GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 09:43

Stanford R1 Interview Decisions:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 443
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 01:23
1
1
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 100 sessions

42% (03:20) correct 58% (02:40) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 92 sessions

78% (01:18) correct 22% (01:21) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 108 sessions

41% (01:50) correct 59% (01:37) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the feminist movement claim that the movement was borne from the experiences of every woman who has resisted or tried to resist domination. From this proposition, three major premises follow. First, feminism places great importance on subjective experience. This implies that much of feminist theory is inductive, moving from the particularities of an individual’s perception of the world to general statements about the nature of the world. Second, feminism is not easily reducible to generalities. The diversity of viewpoints incorporated into the movement resists systematization, but the difficulty of forming a coherent whole from the parts of the theory should be viewed as detrimental. Third, feminism attempts to transform the personal into the political. The individual’s experiences of gender domination transcend the typical boundaries that divide the public and private sphere. Predictably, feminist political theory assumes the intermingling of these domains.

Differences among feminist theories arise from two major sources. The first is from the differences inherent in various interpretations of events and the second is from the differences in the nature and character of experiences. Varieties of interpretations led to the establishment of several major schools of feminist thought, including liberal feminists, radical feminists, and socialist feminists, while the diversity of experiences accounts for the cultural feminist, psychoanalytic feminist, and black feminist movements. These experiential movements should not be seen as complete, for as the feminist ethos takes root in other countries with different traditions, new theoretical perspectives will develop.

1. The passage is primarily concerned with

A. evaluating a theory
B. tracing the history of a movement
C. suggesting the likely progression of an idea
D. describing a perspective
E. rejecting a criticism

2. Which of the following would most undermine the author’s conclusion in the final paragraph?

A. Although the traditions in other countries may differ, the experiences of women in those countries are fairly similar.
B. The societal structure of some countries will make it difficult for feminism to take hold.
C. Most feminist scholars identify themselves with interpretationbased schools of feminism.
D. Because women’s experiences in society are always changing, so too will the theoretical perspectives gained from them.
E. Many other countries already have the seeds of a feminist movement.

3. The author implies which of the following about feminism?

A. It offers a systematic and coherent view of the world.
B. Its primary characteristic is its rejection of male hierarchical structures.
C. It seeks to intertwine the political and theoretical worlds.
D. It values diversity.
E. It uses the experiences of women to attempt to transform the world.





Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT

_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Social Network:
https://www.facebook.com/IamAbuAsad

MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 953
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 21:08
1

+1 kudos to the posts containing answer explanations of all questions


_________________

If you like my post press kudos +1

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 95
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 21:32
3
AsadAbu wrote:
Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the feminist movement claim that the movement was borne from the experiences of every woman who has resisted or tried to resist domination. From this proposition, three major premises follow. First, feminism places great importance on subjective experience. This implies that much of feminist theory is inductive, moving from the particularities of an individual’s perception of the world to general statements about the nature of the world. Second, feminism is not easily reducible to generalities. The diversity of viewpoints incorporated into the movement resists systematization, but the difficulty of forming a coherent whole from the parts of the theory should be viewed as detrimental. Third, feminism attempts to transform the personal into the political. The individual’s experiences of gender domination transcend the typical boundaries that divide the public and private sphere. Predictably, feminist political theory assumes the intermingling of these domains.

Differences among feminist theories arise from two major sources. The first is from the differences inherent in various interpretations of events and the second is from the differences in the nature and character of experiences. Varieties of interpretations led to the establishment of several major schools of feminist thought, including liberal feminists, radical feminists, and socialist feminists, while the diversity of experiences accounts for the cultural feminist, psychoanalytic feminist, and black feminist movements. These experiential movements should not be seen as complete, for as the feminist ethos takes root in other countries with different traditions, new theoretical perspectives will develop.
1. The passage is primarily concerned with

A. evaluating a theory
B. tracing the history of a movement
C. suggesting the likely progression of an idea
D. describing a perspective
E. rejecting a criticism

2. Which of the following would most undermine the author’s conclusion in the final paragraph?

A. Although the traditions in other countries may differ, the experiences of women in those countries are fairly similar.
B. The societal structure of some countries will make it difficult for feminism to take hold.
C. Most feminist scholars identify themselves with interpretationbased schools of feminism.
D. Because women’s experiences in society are always changing, so too will the theoretical perspectives gained from them.
E. Many other countries already have the seeds of a feminist movement.

3. The author implies which of the following about feminism?

A. It offers a systematic and coherent view of the world.
B. Its primary characteristic is its rejection of male hierarchical structures.
C. It seeks to intertwine the political and theoretical worlds.
D. It values diversity.
E. It uses the experiences of women to attempt to transform the world.





Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT


8:29 MINUTES, ALL CORRECT!

1. The passage is primarily concerned with[/b]

A. evaluating a theory-No, actually one school of thoughts is described in first para and difference of various school of thoughts is mentioned in second para.
B. tracing the history of a movement-No, historical chronology is of no significance here.
C. suggesting the likely progression of an idea-Likely progression is jus the crux of last 2 lines of passage. Partial scope.
D. describing a perspective-Yes, it describes a perspective of author in which the author explains a theory as it was and its interpretations in para 1 and then his take on different school of thoughts regarding Feminism
E. rejecting a criticism-No, OFS

2. Which of the following would most undermine the author’s conclusion in the final paragraph?

A. Although the traditions in other countries may differ, the experiences of women in those countries are fairly similar.-True, refer "These experiential movements should not be seen as complete, for as the feminist ethos takes root in other countries with different traditions, new theoretical perspectives will develop.". If the choice is correct, it will break author's conclusion that new perspectives will be developed.
B. The societal structure of some countries will make it difficult for feminism to take hold.-No, not mentioned anywhere.
C. Most feminist scholars identify themselves with interpretationbased schools of feminism.-No, not mentioned anywhere.
D. Because women’s experiences in society are always changing, so too will the theoretical perspectives gained from them.-OFS
E. Many other countries already have the seeds of a feminist movement.-OFS

3. The author implies which of the following about feminism?

A. It offers a systematic and coherent view of the world.-Opposite, refer "The diversity of viewpoints incorporated into the movement resists systematization"
B. Its primary characteristic is its rejection of male hierarchical structures.-Umm, can be inferred thru this "experiences of every woman who has resisted or tried to resist domination."but not specifically implied by author. It mentions that they resisted domination not that they were against "patriarchy"
C. It seeks to intertwine the political and theoretical worlds.-One of the points of one school of thought mentioned by author in first para.
D. It values diversity.-Winner, , refer "the diversity of viewpoints incorporated into the movement resists systematization,"
E. It uses the experiences of women to attempt to transform the world.- It does uses experience of women but " to transform the world"(or their (women's)world) is not mentioned anywhere.[/box_in][/box_out]



Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT[/quote]
_________________

Thanks and Regards,

Honneeey.

In former years,Used to run for "Likes", nowadays, craving for "Kudos". :D

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Sep 2018
Posts: 61
Location: United States
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 08:09
hi honneeey , workout,
question 1 - choices are kind of tricky. I selected choice A based on the last line of second para.

These experiential movements should not be seen as complete, for as the feminist ethos takes root in other countries with different traditions, new theoretical perspectives will develop.

I thought author is evaluating the theories. But it's not the case, Author is just evaluating the movements :-)

Good passage. Thanks for your help.
----
Give kudos if you agree
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 22:50
hi honneeey,
In Q3, i chose option C as the ans.
as you mentioned that option C is "One of the points of one school of thought mentioned by author in first para".
option D is also One of the points of one school of thought...

so how can choice D be correct? please explain..
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 182
CAT Tests
Re: Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 23:42
jareen wrote:
hi honneeey,
In Q3, i chose option C as the ans.
as you mentioned that option C is "One of the points of one school of thought mentioned by author in first para".
option D is also One of the points of one school of thought...

so how can choice D be correct? please explain..

Option C states political and theoretical worlds but only public and private are mention in the passage. There's nothing regarding theoretical

"Third, feminism attempts to transform the personal into the political. The individual’s experiences of gender domination transcend the typical boundaries that divide the public and private sphere. Predictably, feminist political theory assumes the intermingling of these domains."
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jun 2017
Posts: 131
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 09:53
Hi all,
Not able to eliminte B in Q1.
Can someone please help.
_________________

Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

RC Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 518
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 10:11
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi all,
Not able to eliminte B in Q1.
Can someone please help.


B states : tracing the history of a movement..............................No historical sequences of the subject in contention was discussed in the piece.

Rather the authors discussed the subject from his own viewpoint and then discussed an alternate viewpoint.Hope this helps
_________________

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the &nbs [#permalink] 05 Nov 2018, 10:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Feminism is an essentially pluralist movement. Early historians of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.