GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 700 - Rice, UT and Cornell

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 700 - Rice, UT and Cornell  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 20:10
Hi All

I recently gave GMAT and got a 700 (47 Quant and 39 Verbal). I am a Petroleum Engineer (Reservoir) in Houston, TX with about 8.5 years of experience in total; spread across big oil & gas companies in the US and a consulting company in India. Post full-time MBA, I am looking to venture into Energy Investment Banking or stay with an Oil & Gas operator, but in a different role. My target schools are Rice University (Jones Graduale School of Business), Univ. of Texas, Austin (McCombs) and Cornell (Johnson). I will also try my luck at some other top schools, but feel that, I have less than avg. score and fall on the right side of the curve as far as avg. age is concerned. Keeping all these factors in mind, is 700 good enough or should I retake the GMAT ?

I do think I have a decent overall profile with BS in Chemical Engineering from India (graduated with distinction) and an MS in Petroleum Engineering from Texas A&M Univ. (GPA - 3.5), and have around 13 technical publications with 150 citations.

PS: I am an Indian citizen with US green card

Thanks
Kush
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: GMAT 700 - Rice, UT and Cornell  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 23:19
A few thoughts on your profile and plans KushGakhar:
  1. The profile contours sound interesting. However, it would be important to understand the actual nature of your work - purely technical, something else? This is critical to showcase transferable skills so think hard and deep on this.
  2. While your post-MBA plans sound logical, if you research, you'd see that Energy IB can be very niche - dig deeper to assess how feasible that would be. Also, O&G doesn't tend to be a big recruiter of top MBA grads generally speaking - so make sure you develop a compelling proposition there.
  3. Since you'd be targeting R3 (?) and in general, you'd be also competing against Indian candidates to some extent who score much higher than a given school's average. Thus, a retake would definitely be recommended to boost your prospects.
  4. Finally, anything on ECs? This is why ECs matter in your MBA application.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 03:48
KushGakhar wrote:
Hi All

I recently gave GMAT and got a 700 (47 Quant and 39 Verbal). I am a Petroleum Engineer (Reservoir) in Houston, TX with about 8.5 years of experience in total; spread across big oil & gas companies in the US and a consulting company in India. Post full-time MBA, I am looking to venture into Energy Investment Banking or stay with an Oil & Gas operator, but in a different role. My target schools are Rice University (Jones Graduale School of Business), Univ. of Texas, Austin (McCombs) and Cornell (Johnson). I will also try my luck at some other top schools, but feel that, I have less than avg. score and fall on the right side of the curve as far as avg. age is concerned. Keeping all these factors in mind, is 700 good enough or should I retake the GMAT ?

I do think I have a decent overall profile with BS in Chemical Engineering from India (graduated with distinction) and an MS in Petroleum Engineering from Texas A&M Univ. (GPA - 3.5), and have around 13 technical publications with 150 citations.

Thanks
Kush

Hi Kush!

Do you plan to sumbit your applications next year or pursue R3 this year?

I certainly think O&G IB makes a lot of sense, and McCombs is an obvious choice. You could also look at Fuqua and Kenan-Flagler, as both send good numbers of students into IB and have ties to the Southwest. Fuqua is particularly strong in that regard. Rice is a great school, but it doesn't have the investment banking networks that the other schools do. Cornell sends mostly to NYC, but Houston is a possibility, just more time consuming to recruit with the long flight between locations.

For your list of schools, I think 700 is a decent, but not great, score. If you have the chance to take it again and score 20-30 points higher, it would be a boon to your overall application. With 8.5 years experience, I would still apply now with a 700 (if you don't score higher or are not able to re-take) and make sure your essays and story are coherent and concise.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out to discuss more in depth!

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 13:23
8.5 years of experience in total with 700 gmat score is more than enough to get admission in those specific universities, i guess. Better, if you search these universities' profile from their website. Thanks__

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 17:31
[*] The profile contours sound interesting. However, it would be important to understand the actual nature of your work - purely technical, something else? This is critical to showcase transferable skills so think hard and deep on this.
[*] While your post-MBA plans sound logical, if you research, you'd see that Energy IB can be very niche - dig deeper to assess how feasible that would be. Also, O&G doesn't tend to be a big recruiter of top MBA grads generally speaking - so make sure you develop a compelling proposition there.
[*] Since you'd be targeting R3 (?) and in general, you'd be also competing against Indian candidates to some extent who score much higher than a given school's average. Thus, a retake would definitely be recommended to boost your prospects.
[*] Finally, anything on ECs? This is why ECs matter in your MBA application

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Here are some answers to your questions:

> My work is technical and business oriented. In fact quite impactful, I am responsible for managing wells worth a billion dollars in an unconventional reservoir in USA. Other than that I have lead trial programs worth quite a few millions. In oil industry I believe there is a thin line between technical and business domains. Plus I worked in technical consulting for Schlumberger for 5 years managed client relationship and did business development as well. Also, I was a field engineer for 2 years, so that was a very very unique experience as well.

> I do understand energy IB is quite niche, but I want to leverage my current experience and have some contacts in that domain, hopefully will be able to use them. This is my first option, if not I would try to get into business dev. or investor relations and then go from there. I do not want to switch industries. Plan C could be consulting companies, as I think my experience won't be totally wasted if move to consulting, but that's not my first preference, don't want to start something totally new at 36 - 37 age.

> I am planning to apply to round 1 next year as I think that most of the schools would have run out of scholarships by now (please advise). Also my personal finances would be in a better spot to support me in student life going forward.

> I am an Indian citizen, but have a US green card, have been living here since last 10 years, which pool will I be compared against. I am familiar with typically higher GMAT score of Indian students; will I be compared against them ?

> Not much on EC. I am an active member of Society of Petroleum Engineers and editor of a few technical journals. Any advice on improvements on that front.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Regards
Kush Gakhar
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 20:06
AsadAbu wrote:
8.5 years of experience in total with 700 gmat score is more than enough to get admission in those specific universities, i guess. Better, if you search these universities' profile from their website. Thanks__

Thanks AsadAbu. Are there any other schools you can recommend for investment banking domain considering my profile. Here are some additional details about mmyself:

> My work is technical and business oriented. In fact quite impactful, I am responsible for managing wells worth a billion dollars in an unconventional reservoir in USA. Other than that I have lead trial programs worth quite a few millions. In oil industry I believe there is a thin line between technical and business domains. Plus I worked in technical consulting for Schlumberger for 5 years managed client relationship and did business development as well. Also, I was a field engineer for 2 years, so that was a very very unique experience as well.

> I do understand energy IB is quite niche, but I want to leverage my current experience and have some contacts in that domain, hopefully will be able to use them. This is my first option, if not I would try to get into business dev. or investor relations and then go from there. I do not want to switch industries. Plan C could be consulting companies, as I think my experience won't be totally wasted if move to consulting, but that's not my first preference, don't want to start something totally new at 36 - 37 age.

> I am planning to apply to round 1 next year as I think that most of the schools would have run out of scholarships by now (please advise). Also my personal finances would be in a better spot to support me in student life going forward.

> I am an Indian citizen, but have a US green card, have been living here since last 10 years, which pool will I be compared against. I am familiar with typically higher GMAT score of Indian students; will I be compared against them ?

> Not much on EC. I am an active member of Society of Petroleum Engineers and editor of a few technical journals. Any advice on improvements on that front.

Thanks

Regards
Kush Gakhar
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 20:09
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
KushGakhar wrote:
Hi All

Thanks
Kush

Hi Kush!

Do you plan to sumbit your applications next year or pursue R3 this year?

I certainly think O&G IB makes a lot of sense, and McCombs is an obvious choice. You could also look at Fuqua and Kenan-Flagler, as both send good numbers of students into IB and have ties to the Southwest. Fuqua is particularly strong in that regard. Rice is a great school, but it doesn't have the investment banking networks that the other schools do. Cornell sends mostly to NYC, but Houston is a possibility, just more time consuming to recruit with the long flight between locations.

For your list of schools, I think 700 is a decent, but not great, score. If you have the chance to take it again and score 20-30 points higher, it would be a boon to your overall application. With 8.5 years experience, I would still apply now with a 700 (if you don't score higher or are not able to re-take) and make sure your essays and story are coherent and concise.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out to discuss more in depth!

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach
http://www.personalmbacoach.com

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I would not prefer to take GMAT again. Instead would like to build a strong application. I felt 700 is close to the median score for the three schools I am planning to apply. I might expand my application to Fuqua and a few others as well. Any recommendations for extra curricular activities that might be able to help my case.

Regards
Kush Gakhar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 22:14
KushGakhar wrote:

<<snip>>

I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Regards
Kush Gakhar

KushGakhar, tough to say which pool as that's not public info. But the comparison is likely. The reason I assumed this cycle was because you have a Green Card. For internationals, R3 is even more risky. But if you are ok to wait, R1 is always better. However, also bear in mind that MBA after 30 is tricky. So sooner the better. IB also tends to prefer younger folks.

Association with Schlum brand will definitely help. And it's good to hear that you have a network you can leverage - make sure to bring that out well in your application.

On ECs, tough to do something substantial in the limited time. But try your best to ramp up say what you do at the Society if that's an interest area.

All the best buddy.

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 700 - Rice, UT and Cornell   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2019, 22:14

GMAT 700 - Rice, UT and Cornell

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap