GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 498
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Nov 2013, 16:37
3
18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:44) correct 51% (01:38) wrong based on 774 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

New project from GMAT Club! Click here

Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have a rigorous process for analyzing job applicants so that we find the perfect match for a given position. While the process involves resume analysis, interviews, and a thorough vetting of all references, the interviews are most important: without them, we might occasionally hire people with personalities that are poorly suited to both the company and the specific position.

The hiring manager’s conclusion about the importance of interviews depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The only purpose of a job interview is to assess the personality of an applicant.

B. An applicant is not able to hide personality traits that may be detrimental to the given position or company.

C. All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position.

D. Most companies agree that a good personality fit is the most important factor in the job application process.

E. Lightwave Industries is not a business for which having a good personality match is a particularly important hiring trait.

Originally posted by avohden on 06 Nov 2013, 14:09.
Last edited by avohden on 07 Nov 2013, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 134
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2013, 14:23
7
1
avohden wrote:
Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have a rigorous process for analyzing job applicants so that we find the perfect match for a given position. While the process involves resume analysis, interviews, and a thorough vetting of all references, the interviews are most important: without them, we might occasionally hire people with personalities that are poorly suited to both the company and the specific position.

The hiring manager’s conclusion about the importance of interviews depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The only purpose of a job interview is to assess the personality of an applicant.

B. An applicant is not able to hide personality traits that may be detrimental to the given position or company.

C. All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position.

D. Most companies agree that a good personality fit is the most important factor in the job application process.

E. Lightwave Industries is not a business for which having a good personality match is a particularly important hiring trait.


oe to follow


Negating C-not all the interviewers are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position….may be one or two are capablee…so the argument doesn't break down.

Negating B-…. An applicant is able to hide personality traits that may be detrimental to the given position or company……Now if an applicant is able to hide the personality traits then the interviewers will not be able to determine the true personality traits....so it breaks down the argument So (B)
_________________

Preparing for another shot...

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 89
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2013, 22:11
2
2
A. The only purpose of a job interview is to assess the personality of an applicant.--- Incorrect because there could be more than one purpose of a job interview. But assessing personality could be the main one. ONLY is not preferred.

B. An applicant is not able to hide personality traits that may be detrimental to the given position or company.--- Correct because if applicants cannot hide the personality traits then only the interviews will be successful. The HM assumes that candidates cannot hide personality traits in an interview.

C. All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position.--- Again there could be one or two interviewers that are not capable of determining a candidates personality. Not an assumption the HM makes.

D. Most companies agree that a good personality fit is the most important factor in the job application process.--- Personality is most important???? Haha. Then why does the company check references, resume analysis etc. Personality is one of the factors but MOST IMPORTANT is not correct.

E. Lightwave Industries is not a business for which having a good personality match is a particularly important hiring trait.--- Incorrect, because the HM says that interviews are important. And the last line gives importance to personality. This is definitely not an assumption made by the HM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 498
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2013, 10:47
2
1
VERITAS PREP Official Explanation

Answer B
- The hiring manager’s logic is flawed because it relies on the assumption that if you interview someone, you can properly assess his/her personality traits. What if the person you are interviewing is able to effectively hide personality traits that he/she knows are not well suited for the company and/or the position. You think you have found someone with the right personality, but you have not!

Answer choice (B) is the correct answer because it eliminates this possibility: if an applicant is not able to hide personality traits, then this argument is much better.

For answer choice (A), if there are reasons to interview other than assessing personality, then this does not have an impact on this argument.

Answer choice (C) also does not matter: if some of the interviewers are incapable of properly assessing a personality match, it is not a problem. Maybe only one interviewer cannot, and he/she is used for interviews in which assessing person.

For (D), the views of other companies are irrelevant and (E) does not address the issue of interviews and how they relate to assessing personality. Answer is (B).
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1764
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 07:00
avohden wrote:
New project from GMAT Club! Click here

Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have a rigorous process for analyzing job applicants so that we find the perfect match for a given position. While the process involves resume analysis, interviews, and a thorough vetting of all references, the interviews are most important: without them, we might occasionally hire people with personalities that are poorly suited to both the company and the specific position.

The hiring manager’s conclusion about the importance of interviews depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The only purpose of a job interview is to assess the personality of an applicant.

B. An applicant is not able to hide personality traits that may be detrimental to the given position or company.

C. All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position.

D. Most companies agree that a good personality fit is the most important factor in the job application process.

E. Lightwave Industries is not a business for which having a good personality match is a particularly important hiring trait.


oe to follow


Choice between B and C is very controversial

For instance, one might argue that OK in C if not all interviewers are capable of determining the fit of the candidate isn't a problem because most others will and you know maybe they have several rounds of interviews so it isn't a big deal. Fair enough

But in B someone else might say. Well this same reasoning applies here as well no? If AN applicant, and that's the key words cause we are taking about singular here, is able to hide his personality traits, well what if he wasn't good enough for the job in terms of skills, then no one cares, they just don't hire him for another reason and the argument doesn't necessarily has to fall apart. It will if the guy is hired regardless of this but we cannot assume this.

Does anyone feel like discussing this one further?

Cheers!
J: )
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 06:29
I don't think B is correct answer.

Option C says All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position. So even if the candidate tries to hide his actual side, the interviewer will be able to find this out. So I think C is the correct option.

Also the argument is that the company strongly says that they place importance to the interview. That mean they would have specialist who will surely be able to identify the suitable candidates even if the candidate is best in hiding his/her actual personality.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6960
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 07:04
ravinder050484 wrote:
I don't think B is correct answer.

Option C says All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position. So even if the candidate tries to hide his actual side, the interviewer will be able to find this out. So I think C is the correct option.

Also the argument is that the company strongly says that they place importance to the interview. That mean they would have specialist who will surely be able to identify the suitable candidates even if the candidate is best in hiding his/her actual personality.


hi ravinder,
you are right that C can be valid assumption.. but if you look at the wording All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable... using 'all' makes it a very strong statement.. it can be possible there are 50 odd interviewers in which one is not capable... this is the reason C is out and B is the answer as B is a valid assumption
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 20:31
chetan2u wrote:
ravinder050484 wrote:
I don't think B is correct answer.

Option C says All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position. So even if the candidate tries to hide his actual side, the interviewer will be able to find this out. So I think C is the correct option.

Also the argument is that the company strongly says that they place importance to the interview. That mean they would have specialist who will surely be able to identify the suitable candidates even if the candidate is best in hiding his/her actual personality.


hi ravinder,
you are right that C can be valid assumption.. but if you look at the wording All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable... using 'all' makes it a very strong statement.. it can be possible there are 50 odd interviewers in which one is not capable... this is the reason C is out and B is the answer as B is a valid assumption


Hey Chetan,

thanks for replying on this but I am finding it hard to accept the fact that why there may be one when the options says 'All'. GMAT will surely use 'SOME' or 'Most' to express it clearly.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6960
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 00:28
ravinder050484 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
ravinder050484 wrote:
I don't think B is correct answer.

Option C says All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position. So even if the candidate tries to hide his actual side, the interviewer will be able to find this out. So I think C is the correct option.

Also the argument is that the company strongly says that they place importance to the interview. That mean they would have specialist who will surely be able to identify the suitable candidates even if the candidate is best in hiding his/her actual personality.


hi ravinder,
you are right that C can be valid assumption.. but if you look at the wording All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable... using 'all' makes it a very strong statement.. it can be possible there are 50 odd interviewers in which one is not capable... this is the reason C is out and B is the answer as B is a valid assumption


Hey Chetan,

thanks for replying on this but I am finding it hard to accept the fact that why there may be one when the options says 'All'. GMAT will surely use 'SOME' or 'Most' to express it clearly.


Hi,
This is the very reason it is not the answer..
This assumption need not be true since if one out of all the interviewer is not qualified, the argument would be valid... .. Had it been most, it could have been the answer.
And gmat will test you very often on this issue.
OK tell me if one out of 100 interviewer is not qualified, will the logic of argument still stand... If yes than this choice is wrong and if no, it is correct.
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2013
Posts: 79
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q48 V17
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 11:24
Between B and c

I marked C.I agree C is too extreme,but it is better than B
B would have been better option,if it had mentioned that an applicant cannot hide personality traits that may be detrimental to the given position or company during interview or in whole processes including resume analysis, interviews, and a thorough vetting of all references .What if applicant cannot hide personality traits detrimental to company in a resume but can hide during interview,then interviewer may select the applicant.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jul 2015
Posts: 42
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 23:57
When it is clearly mentioned in Answer C that "all" interviewers are capable of judging a prospective employees personality then how can we assume that some of the interviewers are not that well equipped to do the same.
I found the explanation very confusing and modified as per the OA.
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 393
Reviews Badge
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 02:37
Hi Puneet,

Actually both B and C make the cut. It is possible that the company uses only few interviewers to actually interview the candidates.. (some maybe used to make questions etc..) hence using "all" is strong. You can have a not so perfect team still conduct the interviews by the best.

Negate B: It is possible to hide detrimental traits... that means even with the thorough interviews the company can select some not so good applicants..

I was tied between B and C but chose C wrongly.. Your opinion on my take perhaps..

Regards,
Dom.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Math is psycho-logical
Joined: 07 Apr 2014
Posts: 422
Location: Netherlands
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 02:04
1
1
jlgdr wrote:
avohden wrote:
New project from GMAT Club! Click here

Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have a rigorous process for analyzing job applicants so that we find the perfect match for a given position. While the process involves resume analysis, interviews, and a thorough vetting of all references, the interviews are most important: without them, we might occasionally hire people with personalities that are poorly suited to both the company and the specific position.

The hiring manager’s conclusion about the importance of interviews depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The only purpose of a job interview is to assess the personality of an applicant.

B. An applicant is not able to hide personality traits that may be detrimental to the given position or company.

C. All interviewers at Lightwave Industries are capable of determining whether a candidate's personality is a good fit for the company and position.

D. Most companies agree that a good personality fit is the most important factor in the job application process.

E. Lightwave Industries is not a business for which having a good personality match is a particularly important hiring trait.


oe to follow


Choice between B and C is very controversial

For instance, one might argue that OK in C if not all interviewers are capable of determining the fit of the candidate isn't a problem because most others will and you know maybe they have several rounds of interviews so it isn't a big deal. Fair enough

But in B someone else might say. Well this same reasoning applies here as well no? If AN applicant, and that's the key words cause we are taking about singular here, is able to hide his personality traits, well what if he wasn't good enough for the job in terms of skills, then no one cares, they just don't hire him for another reason and the argument doesn't necessarily has to fall apart. It will if the guy is hired regardless of this but we cannot assume this.

Does anyone feel like discussing this one further?

Cheers!
J: )


Hey there,
To me C is out not because of the word "all", which I actually think makes perfect sense to be there. C is incorrecr because, in the stem, we read the part in red. What it says is that if there were no interviews, them sometimes they would hire unsuitable people. In other words, if there are interviews they would not hire unsuitable people. For this to be true, then the fact that "all" interviewers are able to find the unsuitable people through an interview is an assumption. BUT!!! C does not focus on why interviews are powerful in determining unsiotable candidates. But about Lightwave Industries being able to use them. This is irrelevant, because the point the hiring manager tries to make is that "interviews" bring out the unsuitable candidates, even if Lightwave Industries do not have good interviewers.

This is why B is the correct assumption. Because, if the applicant is a master in hiding important elements of his personality, then the interview could possibly lead to an incorrect decision to hire. Also, on the contrary, someone might be really bad at interviews, and the interview could lead to a rejection, even though this person would end up being a good match.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Oct 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 16:52
Can someone point out the flaw in the below line of reasnoning?


Here's the hiring manager's reasoning-
No Interviews => Some Unfit Candidates get in. This is logically equivalent to No Unfit candidate gets in => interviews happened. (A=>B <=> Not B=> Not A)

Negating Option C, If not all interviews can weed out unfit people, some unfit people get in => interviews are not successful The hiring manager's reasoning breaks down.

Also with Option B, there is no additional information provided as to whether the ability of a candidate to hide certain qualities has any effect on the ability of the interviewer to spot them, seems like we're talking about two independent phenomenon . Jumping to this conclusion with this assumption alone to be a leap really (maybe if the wording was on the lines 'if candidates can successfully hide their qualities on interview', it probably would have lent more support to this option).
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1314
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 06:31
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo I think the question itself is flawed. Answer choice (C) is much more convincing. Could you please help to elaborate?

Is it (C) is not an assumption made by the argument and we don't necessarily need all interviews to be capable of this, only the ones informing (or making) hiring decisions?
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: 800 and more!
Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 31
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 03:51
Both option A and C can be rejected because of the extreme opinions in both of them.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have &nbs [#permalink] 24 Apr 2017, 03:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Hiring Manager: Here at Lightwave Industries, we have

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.