Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:40 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Re: IIM Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi there ,
Request you to help evaluate my profile for IIM A - PGPX as I am deeply interested on the program.

- Nationality : indian.

Work Experience : 11+ years.

Industry : Retail.

Bach. Degree : from National Institute of Fashion Technology , India.
GPA : 3.35.

GMAT : Yet to take the exam , targeting December End .

Professional Experience :
1. Job 1 ( 18 Months ) : started with India's then biggest retailer as management trainee mainly into product and vendor management for Women's western wear. Key takeaways were Industry experience and vendor management .

2. Job 2 ( 17 months ) : Started Working with a global Sportswear brand as Asst. Product Buyer , got introduced to dynamics of an international brand environment , used my previous learning to improve Product and processes for the brand.

3.Job 3 ( 36 Months ) : Started working as Manager - Merchandising for a Global Fashion retailer, which had just entered the Indian market space then , spearheading the merchandising and product department . With previous exposure of International brand dynamics , was able to set a up the merchandising dept from scratch to multiple retail stores in India.

4. Job 4 ( 60 Months ) : Joined the current biggest retailer in India started working with yet another international and Global sportswear brand. Currently heading their Merchandising/ product / sales Departments . Have seen through the brand journey from 2 points of sale to 60 points of sale and big ECOM portfolio considering the current ECOM boom in India. The job gave the much required International exposure considering multiple trips to Brand headquarters based in France and working with the French Brand team for almost 5 years now.

Extra Curricular :
Have won multiple awards in School time for various GK Quiz.
Have also been involved in various activities like choreographing a complete Fashion show during college festivals.
Unfortunately , No Volunteer work as of now.

GyanOne ,Apphelp ,MBAkarma , MBADecoder, ruwithrdx any thoughts

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Your profile is pretty solid. We have NIFT students in the current batch as well. The question that the panel will ask you (considering you get an interview call ) is Why MBA? That should be very clear in your mind. Also, try to get a GMAT score as close to 700 as possible. And make sure that your learnings are reflected well in your essays. That’s my two cents!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ruwithrdx wrote:
Your profile is pretty solid. We have NIFT students in the current batch as well. The question that the panel will ask you (considering you get an interview call ) is Why MBA? That should be very clear in your mind. Also, try to get a GMAT score as close to 700 as possible. And make sure that your learnings are reflected well in your essays. That’s my two cents!

Noted ruwithrdx , I am just not sure about GMAT score coz of my current work schedule.
what about score between 650 - 680 ? Would that be enough considering my profile here ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
680 gives you a decent chance. Why I say 700 is because the institute will try to maintain a certain average. If you fall too below, it would have to find a candidate with a higher GMAT to maintain its average. I suggest that take your time with the GMAT. Whether you take the exam in December or March or August for that matter is the same. You won’t be applying this year anyway. So why rush? Instead, work on making your profile as strong as possible by getting a higher score on the GMAT. If you find 2 hours every weekday and 4/5 hours on weekends, in 3-6 months you can easily get 720-730

Manager
Manager
Send PM
ruwithrdx wrote:
680 gives you a decent chance. Why I say 700 is because the institute will try to maintain a certain average. If you fall too below, it would have to find a candidate with a higher GMAT to maintain its average. I suggest that take your time with the GMAT. Whether you take the exam in December or March or August for that matter is the same. You won’t be applying this year anyway. So why rush? Instead, work on making your profile as strong as possible by getting a higher score on the GMAT. If you find 2 hours every weekday and 4/5 hours on weekends, in 3-6 months you can easily get 720-730

Many thanks ruwithrdx , heard you loud and clear.
MBAkarma , MBADecoder , anything you guys want to add here ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Research (Telecommunications)
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello anse

Past academics scores are good and show a potential to go high on the GMAT. So aim for a 720+ so stand out from other IT applicants.
Coming to work ex, focus more on your achievements and business impact rather than role/responsibility.
Same goes with extracurricular activities- showcase your contribution here more than a laundry list. School/college activities may not carry much weight unless you have achieved something spectacular. You can read here to know all the factors important in written application.
Lastly, a vital piece of info is missing- what are your career goals and why do they need an MBA. Without this your application and profile remains incomplete. You may want to read here to add to your research.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

anse wrote:
Hello,

My profile details are as follows:-

10th: 90% ICSE
12th: 83% ISC
NIT-Allahabad : B.Tech [ Computer Science and Engg. ] CGPA 8.18
(Got selected in IIT-JEE but did not take it as I was not getting a good branch & course [Does this help ?] )

Internship: One97 [3 months , May-July 2010 ]
Role: Was among the first 5-6 members to conceptualize and code the back-end of paytm.

Work Ex: 6 years ( as on 1st Aug 2018 )
Job Title: Senior Research Engineer in Govt R&D [ Telecom ]
Responsibility: Worked in several projects of national importance. Lead one of the project with a team of 5.
[But being a Flat R&D govt organization official designation remains the same.]

Extra Curriculars:
College:
- Participated and won in several cultural events.
- Participated in Technical events and won a few of them.
- Marketing and Publicity head of the College festivals.
- Member of college Web team, work included maintaining college website etc and also streamlining various offline work through online portals.
- Participated in several environmental drives etc.

Office:
- Executive Member of Office Club.
- Managed office annual town hall events for three/four years.
- Mentoring of new recruits [Adjudged best group last year]
- Stream lining internal office/team work through new online portals.

I am planning to give GMAT in a couple of weeks and I am targeting IIM A B C L.

Please evaluate my profile and also suggest my GMAT score targets.

Thanks.

Hi, I scored a 730 in GMAT. What points should I focus while completing my application ?
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello anse

Congratulations on the GMAT score!
The points to be highlighted in your application have already been mentioned and shared via two links in the previous post. Please refer the same.
Tie in the admissions factors mentioned here with specific and realistic career goals (read here )

All the best.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

anse wrote:
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello anse

Past academics scores are good and show a potential to go high on the GMAT. So aim for a 720+ so stand out from other IT applicants.
Coming to work ex, focus more on your achievements and business impact rather than role/responsibility.
Same goes with extracurricular activities- showcase your contribution here more than a laundry list. School/college activities may not carry much weight unless you have achieved something spectacular. You can read here to know all the factors important in written application.
Lastly, a vital piece of info is missing- what are your career goals and why do they need an MBA. Without this your application and profile remains incomplete. You may want to read here to add to your research.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

anse wrote:
Hello,

My profile details are as follows:-

10th: 90% ICSE
12th: 83% ISC
NIT-Allahabad : B.Tech [ Computer Science and Engg. ] CGPA 8.18
(Got selected in IIT-JEE but did not take it as I was not getting a good branch & course [Does this help ?] )

Internship: One97 [3 months , May-July 2010 ]
Role: Was among the first 5-6 members to conceptualize and code the back-end of paytm.

Work Ex: 6 years ( as on 1st Aug 2018 )
Job Title: Senior Research Engineer in Govt R&D [ Telecom ]
Responsibility: Worked in several projects of national importance. Lead one of the project with a team of 5.
[But being a Flat R&D govt organization official designation remains the same.]

Extra Curriculars:
College:
- Participated and won in several cultural events.
- Participated in Technical events and won a few of them.
- Marketing and Publicity head of the College festivals.
- Member of college Web team, work included maintaining college website etc and also streamlining various offline work through online portals.
- Participated in several environmental drives etc.

Office:
- Executive Member of Office Club.
- Managed office annual town hall events for three/four years.
- Mentoring of new recruits [Adjudged best group last year]
- Stream lining internal office/team work through new online portals.

I am planning to give GMAT in a couple of weeks and I am targeting IIM A B C L.

Please evaluate my profile and also suggest my GMAT score targets.

Thanks.

Hi, I scored a 730 in GMAT. What points should I focus while completing my application ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
PraveenJC wrote:
Hi,
About me:
I have 10 years of experience in software development, designing and architecting. 5 years of experience in managing people, project and product to varied degrees. In both of my stints above I have stood up things from ground up be it software, teams or products.

Goal:
I am considering to get a degree from reputed business institutes, like IIM or ISB. The core goal is to have formal education on business and finance side. This I believe will help boost my career. Can someone in this group help me with following questions please?:
1) Do comment on my goals or aspirations. Does it make sense? With all due respect, where is the career goal my friend? You have mentioned you want formal education in business and finance to boost your career. Boost your career into what positions? Which organizations? What is the short term goals immediately after an MBA? What is the long term vision of your career? You've not mentioned your goals, so tough to say whether they sound realistic or not.
2) What are the positions offered to candidate after completing programmes like IIMA-PGPX, IIMC-PGPEX and IIMB-EPGP? That is a very broad question, but most people from software may end up in Product Management, IT consulting, Project Management etc. Some may change roles and move into Pre-Sales, Solutions Architect etc. You should see where your interest and abilities lie.
3) With 15 years of experience(and practically by the time I get admission it would be 15+) what do you think is the best course that I can choose?With 15 years, the likes of IIMB might be tough from a profile perspective. They prefer to admit peoples with 5-12 years of ex. (no hard cutoff though). But a good program for you is not judged just on profile but also on career goals. With 15 years of work ex, your goals will decide the right program for you. IIMA and IIMC admit students with extensive work ex so that works, but 'years' is just one small part of your profile and there are several other factors at play. You may want to read here on the factors that matter in your written application and here on career goals.

With Best Regards,
Praveen

Thanks a lot MBAkarma for your reply. This definitely clears few questions.

I want my future career goals for short term to be product owner, product manager or may be Business Development Manager. I eventually like to grow into being Exec VP to CTO long term. Sorry for getting you confused, my bad.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
Send PM
Hi,

Can someone tell me how do the college calculates the work-ex. To which date?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Research (Telecommunications)
Send PM
paridhiprasad wrote:
Hi,

Can someone tell me how do the college calculates the work-ex. To which date?

Every college specifies the date till which it would consider work-ex and hence calculate the duration. In Indian context(1 yr course context), IIMs take work ex upto 31st March for the current job i.e. for this year's admission the work-ex cut off date shall be 31st march 2019.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hi guys,

It will be great if someone can evaluate my profile and let me know what GMAT score should I target to bag a call from IIMA and B.

10th(CBSE)- 83%
12th(CBSE)- 78%
Computer Science Engineering(Calicut University Kerala)- 69%
Completed Business Leadership Programme with ICICI(MBA banking and finance)- CGPA of 7.0 (an elite programme with ICICI bankLtd)

Work Experience Total - 6.5 years+ (I am aiming for ISB 2020 batch i.e.2019-2020)
1. Infosys,Mangalore- Systems Engineer- 3 years

Here I worked in Core JAVA projects.

2. ICICI Bank Ltd, Mumbai-
a. 2016-2018(Commercial Banking): Worked as Account Manager for Big corporates like Marico, many gems and jewellery units. My client base included many SME clients. Also I led many New Client Acquisitions for my unit.
b. 2018-present:I am working in Operational risk profile as a Risk analyst with various groups mapped under me for Risk evaluation. Also I played a Key role in driving a software induction for my group within ICICI.

Achievements:Acknowleded for Highest Advance Tax collection across Mumbai.
Co-curricular- Plenty and plenty of award for various events,Debates,dramatics,including University level award and State level beauty pageant(won subtitle :)),
Volunteering: Worked as Placements officer with Make a Difference,Mangalore

Age:30 (I will be 31 by the time I apply for 2019-20)- Just to add, I am a proud mom of 19 month old baby.

Thanks in advance! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Hello All,
Can you please review my profile?

10th - 90%
12th - 85$
B.Tech - NIT Hamirpur, HP, 2005 - 2009 - 7.7/10
MS Automotive Engineering - Clemson University USA, 2011 - 13 - 3.7/4

Work Experience - total 8 years in Automotive R&D (6 years experience in USA working for biggies!)

HeroMotoCorp( India) - Field Service Engineer; 2009 to 2011
Cummins Inc (USA) - Sr. Performance Development Engineer; 2013 to 2016
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (USA) - Engine Controls Engineer; 2016 to june 2017
General Motors - Sr. Controls Engineer; July 2017 to current

I am still planning to take my GMAT and looking forward to get admission in IIMA - PGPX course.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello kvishwa1987

With decent past grades, international experience, years of work ex in the right spot all seem to work in your favor.
If you score above 700+, you have no glaring weakness evident in the quantitative aspects of your profile.
However, qualitative aspects will matter too- such as career progress, achievements at work and extracurricular, career goals (very important) and how you chose to tie your past, present and future with the need of an MBA.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

kvishwa1987 wrote:
Hello All,

10th - 90%
12th - 85$

Work Experience - total 8 years in Automotive R&D (6 years experience in USA working for biggies!)

I am still planning to take my GMAT and looking forward to get admission in IIMA - PGPX course.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
kvishwa1987 wrote:
Hello All,

10th - 90%
12th - 85$

Hello kvishwa1987,

Thanks for writing in.

In terms of your overall profile, with your international experience - academic and professional (with top players in your field), you have much going for you, provided you are able to present your achievements and skills in an appropriate manner through your essays.

We suggest that you aim for a score above 700; the higher the score, the better, of course. The same, along with a set of well-written essays that portray a logical set of career goals, wherein the short-term and long-term goals not only link up with each other but also with your experience, will give you a good chance at making it to the program at IIM A.

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, feel free to reach out to us.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile 10th-89%
12th 82%
Btech 60%
Mba : 7.1 GPA

Total 5 years of corporate and 2 years of entrepreneurship experience.
worked in HSBC as IT analyst
International experience as senior data analyst in RAK bank dubai
Ran an IT startup for 2 years and developed 2 software products

Please evaluate my profile..how much should I score in GMAT. Will my lesser percentage in btech affect admission?
I am looking for IIM A pgpx

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello vishnusm

Generally speaking, if you can get a score above the average of the class (that is approx. 710+ for IIM A/B/C), you will be in a position to negate the average past scores.
However, GMAT is not the only factor in admissions.
Work experience, extracurricular and career goals all make up a strong profile.
Work experience looks decent on paper- running your own venture and international experience could potentially help (if presented well). Focus on the depth of experience by talking more around career progress, achievements and impact.
Extracurricular is missing and cannot comment on that.
However, most importantly, career goals are missing- this is the most important piece of the admission puzzle and any profile evaluation is incomplete without this info.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
https://gmatclub.com/chat- +918452954888
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

vishnusm wrote:
Please evaluate my profile 10th-89%
12th 82%
Btech 60%
Mba : 7.1 GPA

Total 5 years of corporate and 2 years of entrepreneurship experience.
worked in HSBC as IT analyst
International experience as senior data analyst in RAK bank dubai
Ran an IT startup for 2 years and developed 2 software products

Please evaluate my profile..how much should I score in GMAT. Will my lesser percentage in btech affect admission?
I am looking for IIM A pgpx

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Hi All,

Request for profile evaluation:

Education:
10th - 88.60%
12th - 87.60%
BE - 76%

BE in Electronics and Communication from NSIT, DU

Work Experience:

Aug. 2013 - Aug. 2018
5 years in a Railways PSU as Assistant Manager: Worked with various government sector clients like ONGC, NTPC, Railways. Managed internal telecom systems and led in house telecom projects. Contributed to business development efforts as well. Got an award for extra ordinary performance.

Aug. 2018 - Present
6 months in a Big 4 as Senior Consultant Diversified sector specialization by exploring ports and airport sub sectors. Worked on market assessment, IT strategy and bid support engagements.

Internships
DRDO, DMRC and NTPC

Leadership
1. Appointed presiding officer for the 2014 general election and successfully conducted the election at my booth
2. In house capacity development program for new joinees
3. Led a successful BD effort to explore physical access control and surveillance sector.

Sector Specialization - Transportation Consulting

GMAT - 720 (Q47, V42, IR6, AWA 3)

Looking forward to the reviews.

Best Regards

Arpit
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  43