GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 09:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 15:48
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (01:46) correct 77% (01:34) wrong based on 150 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extremely valuable for college-educated adults entering the workplace to be able to speak at least one foreign language fluently. I am, therefore, proposing that all of our students be encouraged to spend their junior year abroad.”

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the president’s argument? ​

A) Most students who study abroad for a full year return home with a good working knowledge of the language spoken in the country. ​
B) Only students who already know a language well will choose to study in a country where that language is spoken. ​
C) Some colleges do a much better job than others in teaching foreign languages. ​
D) Some students learn to speak foreign languages fluently by taking intensive immersion courses in the United States. ​
E) Many students who spend their junior year abroad learn to speak the language fluently, but cannot read and write with ease.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 16:23
It is hard to justify the use of "some" in the answer choice D. What if just 1 or 2 students out of 1000 students take immersion courses for learning language. Will it weaken author's argument? I don't think so. Had it been "Most" , D would have been a better answer choice.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 18:48
I guess the stimulus should have a mention of the location of major college. Then only it makes sense for answer option D to be correct.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q168 V153
Re: In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 19:42
Can somebody please explain why B is wrong. Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 00:01
I feel OA of this question is awfully different from that of official GMAT questions.

Spread some happiness..Press Kudos! :)

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 2.99
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 00:33
Answer A is strengthened the conclusion => out.

We can also eliminate answers B, C (irrelevant).

Only D and E left.

Answer E is very tempting but we should be careful because this is a TRAP !.

Answer D: the students can speak foreign language just by learning courses, no need to go overseas.

So answer D is the boss .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 13:35
carcass wrote:
In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extremely valuable for college-educated adults entering the workplace to be able to speak at least one foreign language fluently. I am, therefore, proposing that all of our students be encouraged to spend their junior year abroad.”

A) Most students who study abroad for a full year return home with a good working knowledge of the language spoken in the country. ​
B) Only students who already know a language well will choose to study in a country where that language is spoken. ​
C) Some colleges do a much better job than others in teaching foreign languages. ​
D) Some students learn to speak foreign languages fluently by taking intensive immersion courses in the United States. ​
E) Many students who spend their junior year abroad learn to speak the language fluently, but cannot read and write with ease.

carcass,

Why B is wrong. If students who can speak foreign language well go out of country to study then president's proposal will not fulfil desired intention.
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 14:12
Top Contributor
What we do know here is the following statement which must be weakened:

The students that DO NOT know a language and should be ready for the future job market should learn a language which is not their native AND to achieve this goal, they should go abroad.

B is saying that the students that ALREADY know a language well will choose a country to go for.

This statement not only does not weaken our argument but also has no sense at all. They know the language already well and go for a country to do what ?' yes to improve their language skills. However, could also avoid this because they know the language well. Maybe or maybe not.

Instead, we need to care who does not know the language (at least fluently) and choose to go abroad to learn. Nonetheless, a student could take an intensive course a still have a huge mastery of the language.

Me for example, I took neither an intensive course nor I went abroad from my country but thanks to gmatclub I have mastery of a fluent English :cool:

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 12:11
Quote:

There's no consistency in this passage and answer choice D. The correct answer option D INDICATEs that the "president is from USA! But, there's NO clear indication in the passage that the "president is from USA". If the president is from USA then the choice D makes sense to me. I'm requesting my honorable experts MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, ccooley, AjiteshArun, VeritasKarishma to correct me if my thinking is wrong.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 12:31
ammuseeru wrote:
carcass wrote:

carcass,

Why B is wrong. If students who can speak foreign language well go out of country to study then president's proposal will not fulfil desired intention.

B is not our concern; our concern is that "we've to find out at least 1 student who is fluent in a foreign language by the help of his/her own country's coaching center :) (or, the same establishment from where one can learn 1 foreign language fluently).

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 20:25
AsadAbu wrote:
Quote:

There's no consistency in this passage and answer choice D. The correct answer option D INDICATEs that the "president is from USA! But, there's NO clear indication in the passage that the "president is from USA". If the president is from USA then the choice D makes sense to me. I'm requesting my honorable experts MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, ccooley, AjiteshArun, VeritasKarishma to correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Yes, technically, option (D) should be
D) Some students learn to speak foreign languages fluently by taking intensive immersion courses within the country.

A US based test maker would have made this question with a local bias. It is understandable why this would happen, though it is incorrect. Such a situation will not arise in the actual GMAT since all questions with a regional bias are weeded out in the experiment phase so there is nothing to worry about.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 01:45
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
There's no consistency in this passage and answer choice D. The correct answer option D INDICATEs that the "president is from USA! But, there's NO clear indication in the passage that the "president is from USA". If the president is from USA then the choice D makes sense to me. I'm requesting my honorable experts to correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Your thinking is spot on.

MartyTargetTestPrep,
Thank you sir for your kind feedback, but I did not get "kudos' from you. HaHa

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 01:51
It is somewhat unconsciousness for the question writer (test maker)-they forgot that there are so many 'President' out of USA.
Thank you so much VeritasKarishma.
VeritasKarishma wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
Quote:

Yes, technically, option (D) should be
D) Some students learn to speak foreign languages fluently by taking intensive immersion courses within the country.

A US based test maker would have made this question with a local bias. It is understandable why this would happen, though it is incorrect. Such a situation will not arise in the actual GMAT since all questions with a regional bias are weeded out in the experiment phase so there is nothing to worry about.

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.64
WE: Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 22:31
manishcmu wrote:
It is hard to justify the use of "some" in the answer choice D. What if just 1 or 2 students out of 1000 students take immersion courses for learning language. Will it weaken author's argument? I don't think so. Had it been "Most" , D would have been a better answer choice.

manishcmu I think that the point here is ALL vs. some
Notice that the main conclusion says ALL students need to go abroad to learn a language. So, if only one (some means more than one) of them can learn the language inside the US, the arguments will break.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 23:21
The word "some" in answer choice D makes it highly vulnerable to elimination. Can someone please help me understanding how this choice is stated correct?

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.64
WE: Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 03:01
Chaitanya14 wrote:
The word "some" in answer choice D makes it highly vulnerable to elimination. Can someone please help me understanding how this choice is stated correct?

Chaitanya14 hi
I just explained it in previous post, just look up ;)
Notice that the main conclusion says "ALL students need to go abroad to learn a language". So, if only one (some means more than one) of them can learn the language inside the US, the arguments will break.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extr   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2019, 03:01

In a recent speech, the president of a major college said, “It is extr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap