GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, h

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.3
Re: In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 16:10
could someone explain me why c is an strengthener? i was between C and D and my reasoning was the following:

C- if natives could easily replace manatee´s meat with seafood but they haven´t, the may hunt it because of a bond with that specific meat, so that even a good income will not make them to stop hunting.

D- I was really tempted, but then it though that the manatee´s survival could be unrelated with it´s habitat.
VP
VP
D
In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 07:38
In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, has long been hunted for its meat. Having noted the manatee hunters’ expert knowledge of manatees’ habits, local conservationists are encouraging the hunters to stop hunting and instead to take tourists on boat rides to see manatees. Tourist interest is high, so the plan has promise of achieving the twin goals of giving the former hunters a good income and helping ensure the manatees’ survival.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt about the plan’s chance of success?

Endangered Animals are being hunted. The locals offered the hunter alernative income. Hunters would use boats and take tourists there. tourists are highly interested in seeing these animals. What is the main concern ? This plan wont be succssful

(A) Many tourists who visit these parts of the Caribbean are uninterested in manatees and would not be willing to pay what the former manatee hunters would have to charge for boat rides to see manatees. In the argument it is is clearly mentioned " Tourist interest is high" hence out of scope.

(B) Recovery of the species would enable some hunting to continue without putting the manatees’ survival in jeopardy again. ( we are not concerned with recovery of species) out of scope.

(C) In areas where manatees have traditionally been hunted for food, local people could easily replace the manatee meat in their diets with other foods obtained from the sea. ( we are not concerned with replacement of meat. out of scope)

(D) There would not be enough former manatee hunters to act as guides for all the tourists who want to see manatees. ( not concerned with number of hunters)

(E) To maintain their current income, manatee hunters who switched to guiding tourists would have to use far larger boats and make many more trips into the manatees’ fragile habitat than they currently do.

correct E option implies that this plan wont work. because hunters would have to use even larger boats to take tourists to fragile habitat.
VP
VP
D
In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 07:47
mikellaverde wrote:
could someone explain me why c is an strengthener? i was between C and D and my reasoning was the following:

C- if natives could easily replace manatee´s meat with seafood but they haven´t, the may hunt it because of a bond with that specific meat, so that even a good income will not make them to stop hunting.

D- I was really tempted, but then it though that the manatee´s survival could be unrelated with it´s habitat.

mikellaverde

C is out of scope, nowhere is mentioned replacement of meat. The main idea is hunters would use boats to take tourists to those areas. so you need to weaken that part of argument that is relevant to main idea.

D is out of scope as well. nowhere is mentioned number of hunters. Who cares how many hunters are available.

refer to my post above. hope it helps :)
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 12:22
Quote:
In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, has long been hunted for its meat. Having noted the manatee hunters’ expert knowledge of manatees’ habits, local conservationists are encouraging the hunters to stop hunting and instead to take tourists on boat rides to see manatees. Tourist interest is high, so the plan has promise of achieving the twin goals of giving the former hunters a good income and helping ensure the manatees’ survival.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt about the plan’s chance of success?

(A) Many tourists who visit these parts of the Caribbean are uninterested in manatees and would not be willing to pay what the former manatee hunters would have to charge for boat rides to see manatees.

(B) Recovery of the species would enable some hunting to continue without putting the manatees’ survival in jeopardy again.

(C) In areas where manatees have traditionally been hunted for food, local people could easily replace the manatee meat in their diets with other foods obtained from the sea.

(D) There would not be enough former manatee hunters to act as guides for all the tourists who want to see manatees.

(E) To maintain their current income, manatee hunters who switched to guiding tourists would have to use far larger boats and make many more trips into the manatees’ fragile habitat than they currently do.

Hi MartyMurray,
I'm trying to figure out whole thing of this CR, but I'm fail to find out the following things.

Q1: What is/are the plan(s) here?
Q2: How E is the correct choice? Could you explain elaborately, please?
Thanks__

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 490 Q39 V18
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 01:05
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi MartyMurray,
I'm trying to figure out whole thing of this CR, but I'm fail to find out the following things.

Thanks__

Hey AsadAbu!
Hope you dont mind me pitching in!

Quote:

- In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, has long been hunted for its meat.
    - The hunters have an expert knowledge about these mammals and their habitat. Keeping this in mind, the conservationists plan isto convince the hunters to take tourists on boat rides to show the tourists these manatees (since the hunters already know well about the manatees and their habitat).
    - Tourist interest to see the manatees is high.
    - The plan's goal :
    a) Give hunters a good income
    b) Help the manatees survival.

Quote:

Notice the words "fragile" , "many more trips" in option E.
So by having to switch to big boats and having do many more of these trips to the manatees fragile habitat, they are essentially ruining or damaging the habitat. This weakens the argument.

Extra on Option A
-

Remember that many = 3,4,5,6.. to ALL!
And also we have a nice premise saying "tourist interest is high".
So "many" might be 3 or 4 or 5.... or ALL.
Here since we have that nice premise, It is best to avoid this option by assuming that "many" means something not very high.

Hope this helps! :)
GMAT Club Bot
In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, h   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2019, 01:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, h

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap