It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1292 [0], given: 433

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 20:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:08) correct 41% (01:05) wrong based on 271 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better on the GMAT than those who never meditate. This finding does not show that meditation causes people to do better, since students who meditate are more likely than other students to have adequate time to study.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

(A) A person who meditates but has little time to study is more likely to give up other activities to allow more study time than a person who does not meditate and also has little time to study

(B) Among people who meditate, the more frequent the meditation, the better that person does on the test, on average

(C) Among the students who have adequate time to study, those who do not meditate do just as well on the test as those who do meditate

Edit: This question is from Manhattan SC Guide. This question has only 3 answer choices.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Last edited by hazelnut on 08 Apr 2017, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1292 [0], given: 433

1 KUDOS received
SC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1170 [1], given: 890

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hi ziyuen,

Did you copy the question correctly?

Among the students who have adequate time to study, those who do not meditate do just as well on the test as those who do not meditate

The comparison is not fine.

Kudos [?]: 1170 [1], given: 890

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1030

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Re: It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 09:29
A is also a classical pattern, "more likely" indicates a correlation, and A is quite out of scope.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 10:55
Can someone please explain answer choices between A and C?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 11:40
Can someone explain why C is the answer and why option A is wrong?

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 17:25
pra1785, AS20
A is the correlation and A talks about more time to study of those who mediate -> sample is only partial and not relating to the question.
C shows direct link, and a causal relation

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 06:30
chesstitans wrote:
pra1785, AS20
A is the correlation and A talks about more time to study of those who mediate -> sample is only partial and not relating to the question.
C shows direct link, and a causal relation

I still don't get it

Argument says meditation doesn't get betters scores but people who meditate have the time to study which gives better scores. So its the time that gives better scores and not meditation itself.

A says that a person who meditates makes time to study compared to the other person. Here, it is saying that the person meditating makes time to study to get better score. Isn't this supporting the argument ?

Whereas, C says AMONG the student who has time to study, meditating or not, both perform the same. How does this support the argument.

I am sorry I am so confused....

hazelnut, is there an OE for this?

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 09:52
I thought A is more complex, but after I reread A, it is totally out of scope.

A only compares between those who have little time to study, and the comparison is all about the likelihood of spending more time on study, this has nothing to do with the main issue, which is about study time and the result.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 54

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 15:33
There are only 3 options. Isn't this question missing 2 options?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 54

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 05:27
There are supposed to be only 3 answers, according to MGMAT. For those who want the OE, please go this link and type in the search bar 'meditate'. It will give you a two page answer.

https://books.google.com/books?id=7ADmC ... te&f=false

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 67

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 21:15
I really confused with this question

the argument says:
meditation---> better score
BUT
meditation-----> not better performance
meditation----> give more time to study

A) people who have little time to study: who meditate---> make more time to study we can conclude that, based on argument, he or she gives a better score

C) people who have adequate time-----> no matter they meditate or not ( since we know based on argument that time can affect on score not meditate)

two choices are correct!
could someone specify this, please?

Manager
Manager
G

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 05:39
soodia wrote:

the argument says:
BUT

A) people who have little time to study: who meditate---> make more time to study we can conclude that, based on argument, he or she gives a better score

C) people who have adequate time-----> no matter they meditate or not ( since we know based on argument that time can affect on score not meditate)

two choices are correct!

soodia,

I'd be happy to try and help! If my answer isn't sufficient, I have provided directions to the OE in my post above.

Let's analyze the question:

It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better on the GMAT than those who never meditate. This finding does not show that meditation causes people to do better, since students who meditate are more likely than other students to have adequate time to study. -- Our conclusion is in blue.

(A) A person who meditates but has little time to study is more likely to give up other activities to allow more study time than a person who does not meditate and also has little time to study -- This is incorrect because of what it is comparing. We want to compare amount of free time to study. This says that students who meditate will give up more activities to study than students who do not. This, to me, not only implies a correlation between mediation and doing well, but it doesn't compare HOW THE STUDENTS DO ON THE TEST. It just shows that one will study more, and this is not what we are looking to compare. We want results, per our conclusion
(B) Among people who meditate, the more frequent the meditation, the better that person does on the test, on average -- This contradicts our conclusion
(C) Among the students who have adequate time to study, those who do not meditate do just as well on the test as those who do meditate -- This is almost word for word our conclusion. If all else is equal, it doesn't matter if a student meditates

Does this help?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 00:29
nightblade354 wrote:
soodia wrote:

the argument says:
BUT

two choices are correct!

soodia,

I'd be happy to try and help! If my answer isn't sufficient, I have provided directions to the OE in my post above.

Let's analyze the question:

It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better on the GMAT than those who never meditate. This finding does not show that meditation causes people to do better, since students who meditate are more likely than other students to have adequate time to study. -- Our conclusion is in blue.

(A) A person who meditates but has little time to study is more likely to give up other activities to allow more study time than a person who does not meditate and also has little time to study -- This is incorrect because of what it is comparing. We want to compare amount of free time to study. This says that students who meditate will give up more activities to study than students who do not. This, to me, not only implies a correlation between mediation and doing well, but it doesn't compare HOW THE STUDENTS DO ON THE TEST. It just shows that one will study more, and this is not what we are looking to compare. We want results, per our conclusion
(B) Among people who meditate, the more frequent the meditation, the better that person does on the test, on average -- This contradicts our conclusion
(C) Among the students who have adequate time to study, those who do not meditate do just as well on the test as those who do meditate -- This is almost word for word our conclusion. If all else is equal, it doesn't matter if a student meditates

Does this help?

Thank you very much for your help
but unfortunately, I cannot understand when choice A directly point out the relation between make more time and meditate( when we know from the argument which making time affect score) why choice A doesn't support the argument

Dear mikemcgarry Could you help please?

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 62 [2], given: 74

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hi soodia,

I may have given you more than you needed. Look at (A). (A) talks about the amount of time studying. We do not care about the amount, we care about the end score. I have underlined and highlighted some words to help you visualize this. Time, although in the real world may be relevant to how well you do on a test, has no bearing on this answer. We just want results.

I think you are getting mixed up between the conclusion and premise, also highlighted below. The conclusion is in green, the premise in light blue. I think you are trying to solve for the premise, versus trying to solve for the conclusion.

It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better on the GMAT than those who never meditate. This finding does not show that meditation causes people to do better, since students who meditate are more likely than other students to have adequate time to study.

Here are some words to signal a conclusion:
Thus
Therefore
Hence
Consequently (“ly”)
As a result
So, If
Accordingly
Clearly
Must Be
Shows(is a action word) that
Conclude (is a action word) that
Follows that
For this reason

Here are some for premises:
Because
Since
For
For example
for the reason that
in that
given that
as indicated by
due to
owing to
this can be seen from
we know

Does this help clarify further, or are you still confused?

Kudos [?]: 62 [2], given: 74

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 67

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
nightblade354 wrote:
Hi soodia,

I may have given you more than you needed. Look at (A). (A) talks about the amount of time studying. We do not care about the amount, we care about the end score. I have underlined and highlighted some words to help you visualize this. Time, although in the real world may be relevant to how well you do on a test, has no bearing on this answer. We just want results.

I think you are getting mixed up between the conclusion and premise, also highlighted below. The conclusion is in green, the premise in light blue. I think you are trying to solve for the premise, versus trying to solve for the conclusion.

Here are some words to signal a conclusion:
Thus
Therefore
Hence
Consequently (“ly”)
As a result
So, If
Accordingly
Clearly
Must Be
Shows(is a action word) that
Conclude (is a action word) that
Follows that
For this reason

Here are some for premises:
Because
Since
For
For example
for the reason that
in that
given that
as indicated by
due to
owing to
this can be seen from
we know

Does this help clarify further, or are you still confused?

wow
it was a great help
so, " since" is talk about the premise and I was wrong which I get the conclusion from that...
I think I got it :-) :-) :-) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 67

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 09:31
hazelnut wrote:

(A) A person who meditates but has little time to study is more likely to give up other activities to allow more study time than a person who does not meditate and also has little time to study

(B) Among people who meditate, the more frequent the meditation, the better that person does on the test, on average

(C) Among the students who have adequate time to study, those who do not meditate do just as well on the test as those who do meditate

Edit: This question is from Manhattan SC Guide. This question has only 3 answer choices.

I am happy to help :)
Premise: Students who meditate at least once a week do better on the GMAT than those who never meditate.
©: This finding does not show that meditation causes people to do better.
Premise: Student who mediate are more likely to have adequate time to study than other students.
Assumption:
We should strengthen the claim that `It is not meditation but adequate time to study cause students to do better on GMAT’
So 'the student who not mediate but have enough time to study do just as well on the test as those who do meditate' is the greatly support

(A) A person who meditates but has little time to study is more likely to give up other activities to allow more study time than a person who does not meditate and also has little time to study.
= Among people who has little time to study, a person who mediates are more likely to give up other activities to allow study time than a person who does not mediate.
=>> It means that meditation help students to have more time that cause people to do better in GMAT => The answer weaken the argument rather than strengthen.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 25

Re: It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better o   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2017, 09:31

It is true that students who meditate at least once a week do better o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap