Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school to choose?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kellogg vs. Booth ($$) vs. Haas ($$) Ross ($$$) vs. Fuqua ($$$$) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Congrats on your admits! Fantastic job!

I think part of your question is answered here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/consulting-r ... 12877.html

Fuqua is solid and has good MBB recruiting with recruiters present on campus 4 days a week but some of the niche recruiters are definitely more likely to be at Booth and Kellogg rather than Fuqua.

PS. Based on my old valuation model, I feel it would a good deal to take Fuqua+Full ride over Kellogg. If you got 50% at Booth and Kellogg that would be a more equal choice but they did not offer. Your other option is to address the scholarship situation with Kellogg. If you show them your Booth and Fuqua offers there is a good chance they will match at least one of them.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Re: Kellogg vs. Booth ($$) vs. Haas ($$) Ross ($$$) vs. Fuqua ($$$$) [#permalink]
Hehe too much bucks mehn!
Team Fuqua ✌️

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits! Fantastic job!

I think part of your question is answered here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/consulting-r ... 12877.html

Fuqua is solid and has good MBB recruiting with recruiters present on campus 4 days a week but some of the niche recruiters are definitely more likely to be at Booth and Kellogg rather than Fuqua.

PS. Based on my old valuation model, I feel it would a good deal to take Fuqua+Full ride over Kellogg. If you got 50% at Booth and Kellogg that would be a more equal choice but they did not offer. Your other option is to address the scholarship situation with Kellogg. If you show them your Booth and Fuqua offers there is a good chance they will match at least one of them.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

These posts are super helpful - thank you! I am definitely planning to negotiate, so that will definitely add some clarity in one way or another once I hear back. My major sticking point is that recruiting for those more niche / boutique firms based in the midwest will definitely be more realistic from Kellogg/Booth (as you mentioned). Given I hope to be in the midwest, I also like the idea of having a larger network there, which would be more possible from Booth/Kellogg/Ross. That said, I agree with everyone that a full ride from Fuqua may outweigh!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Send PM
Re: Kellogg vs. Booth ($$) vs. Haas ($$) Ross ($$$) vs. Fuqua ($$$$) [#permalink]
Kudos
McKinsey recruited 10-12% of the graduating class in 2019, that says a lot about the school. It’s an easy choice

Intern
Intern
Send PM
JohnJohnJ wrote:
McKinsey recruited 10-12% of the graduating class in 2019, that says a lot about the school. It’s an easy choice

Which school are you referring to? Fuqua?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yes, sorry - McKinsey recruited ~45, BCG hired 37, Amazon hired 38, Microsoft hired 23, google hired 18 and Dell 18 from the class of ~390 at Fuqua.

While I personally think that these numbers could be misleading because the hiring % for all of these 5 companies indicate that they have increased their hiring from Duke by over 200-300% —— which is not normal, but it makes a case for the school being good for consulting.

https://poetsandquants.com/2019/11/26/d ... -report/2/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dang! But the more I think about it, it kind of scares me... what if they’ve faked these numbers? 200-300% increase for all of these 5 companies is not normal and it may very well be a case of them faking numbers (there is no way to validate it)

I change my vote - so it’s Booth vs Kellogg, they’re both equally good. But, Booth it is...

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I thought Kellogg is better for consulting?

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Bookmarks
sunnyjohn2 wrote:
I thought Kellogg is better for consulting?

Yes it is
No denying that
But truth be told, all the top 10s have definitely got something up their sleeve
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ross '22 (WL)
Send PM
Quick note: While Fuqua has good consulting/MBB placement, I found most of the students I talked to were going to offices in the Southeast (Atlanta, DC, Charlotte, various in Texas). If you want to end up in Chicago, it might be worth talking to a bunch of students and confirming if there is a pathway back to Chicago. Sure, you might have to put a little extra effort in, but how much?

If money were equal, Kellogg would be my top pick. It may be worth trying to see if you can negotiate more money out of Ross, seeing as they have strong consulting program and good placement into Chicago. Since it's not M7, they may be more willing to match or close the gap between their current offer and Fuqua's full-ride. Personally, I would take 75% at Ross over 100% at Fuqua for peace of mind about Chicago.

School culture at UChicago seems pretty different than Ross/Kellogg/Fuqua. Did you visit all these schools? What was your experience like?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
newgirl wrote:
Quick note: While Fuqua has good consulting/MBB placement, I found most of the students I talked to were going to offices in the Southeast (Atlanta, DC, Charlotte, various in Texas). If you want to end up in Chicago, it might be worth talking to a bunch of students and confirming if there is a pathway back to Chicago. Sure, you might have to put a little extra effort in, but how much?

If money were equal, Kellogg would be my top pick. It may be worth trying to see if you can negotiate more money out of Ross, seeing as they have strong consulting program and good placement into Chicago. Since it's not M7, they may be more willing to match or close the gap between their current offer and Fuqua's full-ride. Personally, I would take 75% at Ross over 100% at Fuqua for peace of mind about Chicago.

School culture at UChicago seems pretty different than Ross/Kellogg/Fuqua. Did you visit all these schools? What was your experience like?

Thanks for your thoughts here! I agree, the Chicago angle (especially given I'm interested in smaller firms in the Midwest) was something that drew me to Ross/Kellogg/Booth. I did visit all of the schools, and tend to agree with your sentiment about Booth (and actually liked my visit a lot, but it would definitely be a different experience from the others). I did end up getting a small scholarship from Kellogg, which is exciting news. Definitely different than a full ride, but another factor to consider given my ultimate goals.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
jojo15 wrote:
newgirl wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts here! I agree, the Chicago angle (especially given I'm interested in smaller firms in the Midwest) was something that drew me to Ross/Kellogg/Booth. I did visit all of the schools, and tend to agree with your sentiment about Booth (and actually liked my visit a lot, but it would definitely be a different experience from the others). I did end up getting a small scholarship from Kellogg, which is exciting news. Definitely different than a full ride, but another factor to consider given my ultimate goals.

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking (for the sake of my scholarship master thread), how did you get the scholarship and when? Any details you may share would be quite helpful.
Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [3]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I'd like to chip in here. 1Y at Booth going through consulting recruiting.

First up, Duke #s cited above include both full-time and intern hires which is why the numbers look weird vs previous years. Total MBB full-time hires at Duke is in the range of 40-45 depending on how good the year is - which is a pretty strong performance overall. However it is nowhere close to Kellogg and Booth which had 104 and 109 MBB full-time offers respectively for class of 2019. (Numbers from official placement reports)

Kellogg is a traditional powerhouse in consulting with so many top partners at MBB firms being Kellogg alumni. Booth however has progressed tremendously in the last 5-7 years.. as is evidenced in having higher MBB #s than Kellogg in 2019.. which I think is probably the first time in history. (of course Kellogg beats the % number based on total class size.. but still)

I'd suggest that you go for Kellogg or Booth - the difference in how firms view these schools vs non-M7 is not trivial. Of course you can very well get an MBB job at any of the top 15 but I think you will have a better chance at Kellogg / Booth and there will be other benefits of a strong alumni network + M7 prestige (if you care about it)

Given that Booth has offered $ (and the fact that I am at Booth) makes me lean towards Booth. The people and culture at Booth are top class - over the last 3 months of rigorous consulting recruiting I have not had even one bad interaction. Everyone has been rooting for each other and been very supportive throughout. Booth has the "commuter school" perception, but the key point is that 80% of class lives within 3 blocks of each other.. which means you have a strong community feeling.. even though everyone lives a 15-20 min train/uber ride away from Hyde park campus. (Don't forget that there's a downtown building where you can take classes or meet for group projects)

TL,DR: Go for Kellogg or Booth (maybe Booth since you are getting $) because consulting recruiting is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
jojo15 wrote:
Hi all - I feel very grateful to be in this position, and would love any thoughts and/or advice! I received a full ride from Fuqua, 1/2 from Ross, and basically 1/4 from Haas and Booth, nothing from Kellogg.

I currently live on the East Coast but am hoping to be in Chicago after business school, which automatically leads me to lean towards Kellogg/Booth/Ross. That said, it's hard to overlook a full ride offer from Fuqua! I am hoping to go the consulting route (with an interest in boutique firms). I really value culture, and felt like the cultures at all of these programs were collaborative, supportive, friendly, etc. From the start, I have leaned towards Kellogg because of the community, location, and strong focus on teamwork--generally it has always felt like the best fit, especially when visiting. I also am excited about their strong consulting and marketing placement. That said, I wasn't offered scholarship money there, which is obviously an important factor to consider. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Duke is pretty good in consulting recruiting, not as good as Kellogg or Booth but it still is achievable. You may not end up in Chicago but you could transfer there eventually. I agree with what others have said, ask Kellogg if they would consider matching your other scholarship offers, if they say no I would go to Duke.

Quick comment on culture though, I do personally feel like Booth is the outlier on culture here. Kellogg, Ross, Haas, and Fuqua seem to be pretty similar cultures (more poets than quants so to speak). I'm not sure how much time you have spent with students from those programs but if visiting again is an option/attending admits weekend I would do so. That's not to say Booth is bad, just that my experience is that its a different feel than the other programs you named and I wouldn't personally put them in the same bucket when it comes to culture. Maybe stoiczoan can comment further. For me the difference was most pronounced when I took a class at Kellogg and Booth. Booth's teaching style seemed to be a bit more data and stats heavy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM