GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tepper Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Tepper Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2019, 20:53
Top Contributor
I saw some of the profile evaluation posts about class X and XII. I don't think US B school cares about class X and XII score.

Under grad score and GMAT matter.

Please let me know whether I can help. I am 2017 Tepper Grad and I can speak through my experience.

All the best
Intern
Intern
B
Tepper Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Oct 2019, 05:27
Hi All, please evaluate my profile

Originally posted by Kangan95 on 20 Aug 2019, 01:12.
Last edited by Kangan95 on 03 Oct 2019, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '21 (S)
GPA: 4
Re: Tepper Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 12:25
Looking for a profil evaluation for Tepper 2020 intake.

Indian, female, 25 years

GMAT: 670 (Q47, V34)

Work experience: 4 years

Undergrad: 3-year degree; B.Sc(H) Stats - GPA: 4.0/4.0 (from University of Delhi)

Extra curriculars: have been active in co-curriculars with some achievements at school level as the head of co-curricular club. Followed by avtive involvement in event planning and management for the department level annual festivals and other events at undergrad university
A vociferous proponent of women empowerment and have participated in or organised quite a few events aimed at women development (at university level/ work organization)

Job role: joined towers watson as research assistant in sep 2015. Promoted to research analyst in Mar 2017 and handled responsibilies as deputy manager for market research since Jul 2017.
Led a global research team of 25+ members on a project, liaising directly with th Global stratgey director.
Involved in operational transition during the TW Willis merger of research teams

Joined Evalueserve in Julu 2018 and working directly with business leaders at client company, a leading management consulting firm.
Selected amongst a team of 15 to support the client on annual publication on ome of the industries.
Won an award (you make a difference) within 4 months of joining the organization.

Post MBA: strategic consulting/ corporate strategy

Appreciate any help with the evaluation.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Tepper Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 15:33
Dear Soumya,

Please find my analysis of your profile based on my experience of providing admission consulting assistance to applicants who made it to Tepper in the last few years.
GMAT : Lower than Average
Work Experience : Good – both in terms of volume as well as associated brands
Undergrad : Extremely good
Extra curricular : Average

While a good GPA and impactful work stints are definite plusses in your profile, you will need to compensate below par GMAT score with a very well-crafted application that brings out differentiation at both personal as well professional level. Consulting as a goal is definitely a logical career path for you. However, you need to be more specific by stating what excites you about consulting, what sort of consulting assignments and with what kind of firms are you looking to get involved with. It can not be left open ended and upto interpretation.

CMU as an University focusses a lot on latest tech. So, I will request you to consider how you can give flavor of tech to both your past and present, as well as roles you might take up in future.
Feel free to reach out to me at arijit.biswas@crackadmission.com /+919701215544 in case you need specific assistance with regards to the application.

Cheers and Best of Luck
M| +91-9701215544
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: NUS '22 (S)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 23:58
Hello experts,

Please help me evaluate my profile for tepper mba.
Xth - 9.8 cgpa
Xii - 86% ( aggregate)
Cgpa - 9.02 ( vit, Vellore)
GMAT - 690 (q50, v32) awa-6 ir-6
Age:26 Indian Male in Telecommunication and software development.

Company: Qualcomm.
Years of experience : 3+
Projects i worked on: Bose bar, audi, Volkswagen, continental, telit, gemalto, reliance jiofy.
My area of work is to optimize the performance of chipset. I have frequent conversation from usa. My role is to supplement people in China and USA. I am part of a small team in india as most of my team is in USA and China.
Got 5 awards, consistent performance bonus and stock shares along with a promotion in 2017.
Frequent interaction with people in USA and Shanghai ( China)
Contributions in linux open source code aurora community.
Working on a research on Quantum computing and encryption.
Mentored two-three people who are new recruits.

Novelist, published a book on spy thriller- got acclaims across India and dubai/Israel. The book got selected by National libraries of India.

Published an anthology about notions of living in association with 12 known authors across India.

Published blogs and opeds in digital media- yourstory and youthkiawaaz.

Participated and secured 7th position all India in ibm bluemix hackathon in 2016.

My technical answers on Quora have 7-8k views.

National level volleyball player- 2007-2008

Have a family business on agriculture. I help by suggesting changes and introducing modern agri techniques. A recent initiative to plant trees in barren land won appreciation by bihar government in 2018.

Work for community benefits and economical suggestions in my leisure time to my family business that helps maintain food and family of 200 members.

My aim is to change my carrier path to digital business and strategy and build on that experience for an entrepreneurial venture in agrotech business.

Cmu's key advantage is the interdisciplinary approach towards mba. And with a technical bend i think cmu would be a best deal to achieve these goals.

Is it a good to go profile? Anyways I am prepared to improvise in a year on various fronts but as of now i am planning to apply with this particular profile.

Please suggest your views
Regards,
Rishav

SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 05:33
rish2708 wrote:
Hello experts,

Xth - 9.8 cgpa
Xii - 86% ( aggregate)

Projects i worked on: Bose bar, audi, Volkswagen, continental, telit, gemalto, reliance jiofy.
My area of work is to optimize the performance of chipset. I have frequent conversation from usa. My role is to supplement people in China and USA. I am part of a small team in india as most of my team is in USA and China.
Got 5 awards, consistent performance bonus and stock shares along with a promotion in 2017.

Novelist, published a book on spy thriller- got acclaims across India and dubai/Israel. The book got selected by National libraries of India.

Published an anthology about notions of living in association with 12 known authors across India.

Participated and secured 7th position all India in ibm bluemix hackathon in 2016.

Have a family business on agriculture. I help by suggesting changes and introducing modern agri techniques. A recent initiative to plant trees in barren land won appreciation by bihar government in 2018.

Work for community benefits and economical suggestions in my leisure time to my family business that helps maintain food and family of 200 members.

My aim is to change my carrier path to digital business and strategy and build on that experience for an entrepreneurial venture in agrotech business.

Cmu's key advantage is the interdisciplinary approach towards mba. And with a technical bend i think cmu would be a best deal to achieve these goals.

Is it a good to go profile? Anyways I am prepared to improvise in a year on various fronts but as of now i am planning to apply with this particular profile.

Regards,
Rishav

Hi Rishav,

A few points here:
1. Your work experience sounds good but I can not make out if you are only doing intensely technical work or are also involved on the business side ?
2. Your GMAT score is low for Tepper. You should retake it before you apply.
3. Your extra-curriculars are differentiated, which is always a good thing. I hope the spelling of career is only a typo error.
4. Lastly, what are your goals?

If you are able to increase your GMAT score this year before R2, then you should go ahead and apply.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 05:53
MBADecoder wrote:
rish2708 wrote:
Hello experts,

Xth - 9.8 cgpa
Xii - 86% ( aggregate)

Regards,
Rishav

Hi Rishav,

A few points here:
1. Your work experience sounds good but I can not make out if you are only doing intensely technical work or are also involved on the business side ?
3. Your extra-curriculars are differentiated, which is always a good thing. I hope the spelling of career is only a typo error.

If you are able to increase your GMAT score this year before R2, then you should go ahead and apply.

Thanks MBADecoder for the profile evaluation. Yes sorry the career is misspelt.

And for the queries:
1) I am into core technical field at Qualcomm. I am not directly involved in a business setup. But i have been involved in some projects that have brought much business to Qualcomm. And this work is coupled with mentoring juniors and associates.

2) my long term goal is for entrepreneurship into agrotech but since I don't possess any knowledge of digital business, I plan to explore digital marketing/abalytics and consultation. Tepper sounds promising to me because of the analytic and quant orientation they have and can help me achieve this goal by changing from a unidimensional profession to a multidimensional profession.

3) prior to R2 it's quite impossible for me to give attempt for GMAT, given the work commitments and application deadlines I have to meet. However I plan to try an attempt at application and maybe then would try to see if I don't make up.

What would you suggest based on the prior and this additional info?

Regards,
Rishav
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 21:20
rish2708 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
rish2708 wrote:
Hello experts,

Xth - 9.8 cgpa
Xii - 86% ( aggregate)

Regards,
Rishav

Hi Rishav,

A few points here:

Thanks MBADecoder for the profile evaluation. Yes sorry the career is misspelt.

And for the queries:
1) I am into core technical field at Qualcomm. I am not directly involved in a business setup. But i have been involved in some projects that have brought much business to Qualcomm. And this work is coupled with mentoring juniors and associates.

2) my long term goal is for entrepreneurship into agrotech but since I don't possess any knowledge of digital business, I plan to explore digital marketing/abalytics and consultation. Tepper sounds promising to me because of the analytic and quant orientation they have and can help me achieve this goal by changing from a unidimensional profession to a multidimensional profession.

3) prior to R2 it's quite impossible for me to give attempt for GMAT, given the work commitments and application deadlines I have to meet. However I plan to try an attempt at application and maybe then would try to see if I don't make up.

What would you suggest based on the prior and this additional info?

Regards,
Rishav

Hi Rishav,

thanks for the additional info. Makes your profile a lot more clearer. I'll give numbered responses once again:

1. Making business impact at Qualcomm- I believe you will have some impressive stories to come up with over here. I have previously worked with some one who was doing something similar at Samsung and I remember his stories of the challenges involved in fitting in huge info on a tiny chip- often when your team mates don't believe its possible and you drive them to achieve intended results- this is what leadership is about. The situation can get more complicated because you work with the Chinese and the Americans and they throw their own team dynamics into the picture.

2. I am not sure of the path upto your long term goals. What do you plan to do in the short term? You sound vague about it. How will short term goals lead you to your long term goal? Moreover, why do you have to wait for 10 years to get into agrotech? If that's something that excites you now then you should be doing it now, when the domain has gained so much importance/ investment and has the opportunities. A case in point is one of my applicants who is studying at Tuck- he did his summer internship with an agrotech company this year.
You need to think through your career goals properly. From your two posts here, it seems like a weak story, but that can be worked upon with some analysis of your past work experience and interests for future.

3. My advice so far can help you build a strong application. However, the GMAT score continues to be a problem. Do have a look at the decision tracker for Tepper and you'll see a 690 is not a competitive score for an Indian. If you must apply with this score, you should also put in applications at lower-ranked MBA programs so that you maximize your chances of admission.

Reach out if you need further help. You can fill this form of write to me at contact@mbadecoder.com

Invested In Your Success
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 23:34
MBADecoder wrote:

Hi Rishav,

thanks for the additional info. Makes your profile a lot more clearer. I'll give numbered responses once again:

1. Making business impact at Qualcomm- I believe you will have some impressive stories to come up with over here. I have previously worked with some one who was doing something similar at Samsung and I remember his stories of the challenges involved in fitting in huge info on a tiny chip- often when your team mates don't believe its possible and you drive them to achieve intended results- this is what leadership is about. The situation can get more complicated because you work with the Chinese and the Americans and they throw their own team dynamics into the picture.

2. I am not sure of the path upto your long term goals. What do you plan to do in the short term? You sound vague about it. How will short term goals lead you to your long term goal? Moreover, why do you have to wait for 10 years to get into agrotech? If that's something that excites you now then you should be doing it now, when the domain has gained so much importance/ investment and has the opportunities. A case in point is one of my applicants who is studying at Tuck- he did his summer internship with an agrotech company this year.
You need to think through your career goals properly. From your two posts here, it seems like a weak story, but that can be worked upon with some analysis of your past work experience and interests for future.

3. My advice so far can help you build a strong application. However, the GMAT score continues to be a problem. Do have a look at the decision tracker for Tepper and you'll see a 690 is not a competitive score for an Indian. If you must apply with this score, you should also put in applications at lower-ranked MBA programs so that you maximize your chances of admission.

Reach out if you need further help. You can fill this form of write to me at contact@mbadecoder.com

Thanks a lot ma'am for your detailed info.

I will surely keep these in mind. Yes as of now i am also going for options by opting school in india and Singapore.

I will revert if I need a suggestion. Albeit, I appreciate your in depth detail analysis of my profile and honest opinion.

Regards,
Rishav

SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 04:38
rish2708 wrote:

Thanks a lot ma'am for your detailed info.

I will surely keep these in mind. Yes as of now i am also going for options by opting school in india and Singapore.

I will revert if I need a suggestion. Albeit, I appreciate your in depth detail analysis of my profile and honest opinion.

Regards,
Rishav

I am glad to help Rishav

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2019, 11:35
Background:
Indian Male
Age 27
GMAT 720 (Q50, V38)
Industry: Strategy Manager in a SoftBank funded multi-billion dollar startup

Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Delhi (CGPA – 7.0)

Work Experience:
Total 5 years (4 years in India, 1 year in SE Asia)

Worked for over 2 years in a social sector consulting startup and 1 year in an election campaign strategy firm (a SuperPAC). Worked for 1 year as a management consultant with top tier organisation consulting firm. Working in a strategy role for a high growth internationally well known startup based out of SE Asia.

Extra curriculars – Won international competitions and worked on two international projects in Europe. Worked as Coordinator in various campus festivals and a student association club.

Post MBA Goal – Strategy Consulting or Strategy role in industry

SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 23:37
Sid5050 wrote:
Background:
Indian Male
Age 27
GMAT 720 (Q50, V38)
Industry: Strategy Manager in a SoftBank funded multi-billion dollar startup

Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Delhi (CGPA – 7.0)

Work Experience:
Total 5 years (4 years in India, 1 year in SE Asia)

Worked for over 2 years in a social sector consulting startup and 1 year in an election campaign strategy firm (a SuperPAC). Worked for 1 year as a management consultant with top tier organisation consulting firm. Working in a strategy role for a high growth internationally well known startup based out of SE Asia.

Extra curriculars – Won international competitions and worked on two international projects in Europe. Worked as Coordinator in various campus festivals and a student association club.

Post MBA Goal – Strategy Consulting or Strategy role in industry

Hi SId,

Have you worked in 4 organizations in 5 years? That's quite a bit.
Given your varied work experience, it will be important you are able to tie it all together via the goals essay. Also, I'd like to understand whether Tepper is the right MBA program for you given your goals. Would be happy to chat. You can reach out to me at contact@mbadecoder.com. Do send your resume as well.

Invested In Your Success
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Calling all CMU Tepper MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 11:45
Hi,

Please, if you can, evaluate my profile as an international applicant for the MBA program

Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in technology with specialisation in computer science engineering.
GMAT: not taken yet
Work experience: 6+ years
About me - An engineer turned entrepreneur, started a textiles manufacturing and trading business, while studying, with my father (as his prior experience and willingness to work in the same industry he's ever been). Completed my engineering side-by-side. Then left for job, but kept involved in business somehow of the location benefits as my manufacturing process used to take place in the same city I got a job in. Then moved back for business, leaving my job. Since then, been in business and have turned quite a lot of things around for us, and for the market in a good way.
key achievements --
Turned everything from credit to cash.
Took things online,
and added a customer-centric approach.

All these things and ideas were new for the market and my customers, but now productivity has increased for both.
I think entrepreneurship is a good idea for my MBA, but not sure if it’s a good idea in case I want to experience something different like a job maybe for some time. Also, I am so much involved into everything I do, I don't want myself to not make use of my 2 years at an MBA program, so I am a little cautious of schools where I may not find the right mindset of people whom I can be with.

Why MBA?
I have some ideas related to my field which I think can really help and change the way things are done. I want to incorporate tech into small scale manufacturing, and I don't mean just computers. I am looking for a school where I can get some tech exposure along with my MBA, as I may need to take 1-2 tech courses along with an MBA.

Extracurriculars: I am an active sports guy. I play tennis, have coaching experience of swimming (summers only :P) have formed 2 groups in my city -- running and cycling, started with 2 people now each group has around 500+ participants, 60% of them are moderately active, 80% are somewhat active.
I trek a lot and have taken most treks closer to my place, as I work 7 days so it's hard to take an off as treks need a lot of days, but I manage that somehow by minimizing risk.
I am a cyclist, too. you'll find me cycling in the hills, if not trekking.
I have taken part in brevet, 200 km one.
I am a part of the national cycling group and I represent my city for the group.
Also, I am a participant of a blood donation group, we provide blood to blood banks and the ones in need, in person, too. we don't charge for it, it's a free community service for anyone in need. we are presently handling 3 states and the group has around 5000 members, most of them are active. It's run by the people for the people, but then there are too many things to do.

References: From clients to these groups, I can ask anyone to recommend me, but I think it makes more sense if I ask my clients or business people.

shall I apply?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 14:31
Moving your post to the profile eval thread. Please post all profile evals here.
Thx.

Shrey9 wrote:
Hi,

Please, if you can, evaluate my profile as an international applicant for the MBA program

Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in technology with specialisation in computer science engineering.
GMAT: not taken yet
Work experience: 6+ years
About me - An engineer turned entrepreneur, started a textiles manufacturing and trading business, while studying, with my father (as his prior experience and willingness to work in the same industry he's ever been). Completed my engineering side-by-side. Then left for job, but kept involved in business somehow of the location benefits as my manufacturing process used to take place in the same city I got a job in. Then moved back for business, leaving my job. Since then, been in business and have turned quite a lot of things around for us, and for the market in a good way.
key achievements --
Turned everything from credit to cash.
Took things online,
and added a customer-centric approach.

All these things and ideas were new for the market and my customers, but now productivity has increased for both.
I think entrepreneurship is a good idea for my MBA, but not sure if it’s a good idea in case I want to experience something different like a job maybe for some time. Also, I am so much involved into everything I do, I don't want myself to not make use of my 2 years at an MBA program, so I am a little cautious of schools where I may not find the right mindset of people whom I can be with.

Why MBA?
I have some ideas related to my field which I think can really help and change the way things are done. I want to incorporate tech into small scale manufacturing, and I don't mean just computers. I am looking for a school where I can get some tech exposure along with my MBA, as I may need to take 1-2 tech courses along with an MBA.

Extracurriculars: I am an active sports guy. I play tennis, have coaching experience of swimming (summers only :P) have formed 2 groups in my city -- running and cycling, started with 2 people now each group has around 500+ participants, 60% of them are moderately active, 80% are somewhat active.
I trek a lot and have taken most treks closer to my place, as I work 7 days so it's hard to take an off as treks need a lot of days, but I manage that somehow by minimizing risk.
I am a cyclist, too. you'll find me cycling in the hills, if not trekking.
I have taken part in brevet, 200 km one.
I am a part of the national cycling group and I represent my city for the group.
Also, I am a participant of a blood donation group, we provide blood to blood banks and the ones in need, in person, too. we don't charge for it, it's a free community service for anyone in need. we are presently handling 3 states and the group has around 5000 members, most of them are active. It's run by the people for the people, but then there are too many things to do.

References: From clients to these groups, I can ask anyone to recommend me, but I think it makes more sense if I ask my clients or business people.

shall I apply?

B
Schools: IMD '21

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 00:29
Hi everyone.

I am looking at Tepper as a school I want to go to the coming year. Request your comments and any suggestions for schools other than IMD would be highly appreciated.

Nationality: Indian ( Male, 30 )

Undergrad: Nirma University, Ahmedabad, CGPA : 7.76, First Class with Distinction,

GMAT: 660 ( Q 48, V 33) - Less than Gmatprep mocks given so will be attempting once more

Work experience: Project management , 7 years of experience in development and delivery of
capital infrastructure(T&D) projects with Tata Power
• Have been part of core teams in developing energy assets( capex) acheiveing capitalisation ranging USD 5M to 75M.
and increasing installed transmission capacity upwards of 2000 MVA.
• Led project execution at site for major capex projects managing site team of OEMs, large contractors and local vendors( team size approx 150+)
• Have managed multidisciplinary engineering site activities for a major project transition from EPC to BOQ model( short close contract of major EPC player midway in the project led to change in execution philosophy).
• Have led department HSE activities as departmental coordinator for 6 months. Prepped HSE dashboard for senior management, analysed operational and audit data for multiple sites to help bring two important safety improvements that were showcased in company's annual innovation event.
• Worked on project sites with international teams of various OEMs for a consistent time frame. ( 5 years)

Community and others:
• I have worked at an NGO full time for 6 months involved in installation of solar equipment in remote villages in gujarat. I spent a significant portion of this time also working on literacy campaigns for such remote villages on the use of solar pumps and panels.
• While working for transmission line projects in Mumbai, I have been actively involved in regular programs where people living below high voltage transmission lines are sensitized on the dangers of EHV lines.
• I have worked also with a couple of tourist organisation in Goa for 2 months where I had been involved in sustainable cooking practices in a small village for a large tourist crowd.

Post MBA goals
• Post graduation I want to continue in the energy sector as my interests are strongly aligned with the renewable space. My short term goals include getting to work on the manufacturing side of the project supply chain ( Companies like ABB, Vestas, Siemens) as till now I have worked for a utility and client side. Long term goals are to work on large scale distributed energy sufficiency programs for developing economies.

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tepper Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2019, 00:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 95 posts ] 

Tepper Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: abhimahna, chanjaso