GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 121
Location: India
GMAT Date: 03-15-2015
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Feb 2019, 01:31
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:57) correct 53% (01:57) wrong based on 216 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 630 graphics chipset, the cutting edge GPU that supports an unparalleled display experience. Teenagers – the population segment that utilizes smartphones for gaming on the go – love to own devices with high graphics power. Therefore, iMinus must have manufactured SevenG in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers, and to consequently boost its revenue significantly.

What is the assumption on which the argument depends?
A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant
B) iMinus has an impressive record of achieving the highest sales figures in the smartphone industry
C) Many of the currently selling smartphones do not have a graphics chipset more powerful than Adreno 630
D) iMinus has plans to launch a series of smartwatches that can be used by teenagers who own a SevenG
E) Most of the working population has a fetish for owning the latest smartphones irrespective of their features or costs

Source : e-gmat

_________________
KUDOS will increase your score

Originally posted by 4d on 03 Feb 2019, 22:29.
Last edited by 4d on 05 Feb 2019, 01:31, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Apr 2018
Posts: 32
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 10:10
This is a Cause and Effect statement where the cause is SevenG has Adreno 630 graphics chipset and the effect is Tennegers will buy this mobile more compared to another phones. Why is that?
Because teenegars love to own devices with high graphics power.

With that in mind

Quote:
A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant

This first thing to watch out in this the word "Proportion" not populatin of tennegers but proportion ins respect to whole population. the most important thing which we have to think about is however small in "proportion" Tennegers will buy this phone no matter what
Quote:
B) iMinus has an impressive record of achieving the highest sales figures in the smartphone industry

Wow Good for you iMinus but what does that tells us about why Tennegers will buy this phone

Quote:
C) Many of the currently selling smartphones do not have a graphics chipset more powerful than Adreno 630

Now here we go, suppose there are smartphones in the market which have more strong chipsets compared to SevenG then will teenegers will surely buy that phone. Since this assumption defends our argument this is the right answer

Quote:
D) iMinus has plans to launch a series of smartwatches that can be used by teenagers who own a SevenG

Out of Scope

E)
Quote:
Most of the working population has a fetish for owning the latest smartphones irrespective of their features or costs

Out of Scope
_________________
If you like my post, please don't shy away from giving Kudos, as it boosts my confidence to post more :)
Booth Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 11 Feb 2018
Posts: 293
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 10:55
2
I disagree with the OA...

Just negate C once.We get “ many smartphones have more powerful than adrino G”...no way is it relevant to the argument that iminus manufactured to attract teenage users..

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Mar 2018
Posts: 27
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 23:17
redskull1 wrote:
I disagree with the OA...

Just negate C once.We get “ many smartphones have more powerful than adrino G”...no way is it relevant to the argument that iminus manufactured to attract teenage users..

Posted from my mobile device


But the supposed premise of selling the SevenG is to attract teens with high-end graphics cards. Under what circumstance would this reasoning falter?

If there were other phones with higher-end graphics cards, teens would obviously pick those, meaning this can't be the only rationale behind selling the SevenG with a 'cutting edge GPU'.

So the assumption here is: "There are no other phones with better graphics cards", hence C.
Booth Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 11 Feb 2018
Posts: 293
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 23:26
Man.The gist of the argument is “company manufactured A to attract customers”.If there is some other B that is superior, that fact does not change the motive of the company that is manufacturing A.

I cant go in more detail.

Some expert help here please.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Mar 2018
Posts: 27
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 23:31
redskull1 wrote:
Man.The gist of the argument is “company manufactured A to attract customers”.If there is some other B that is superior, that fact does not change the motive of the company that is manufacturing A.

I cant go in more detail.

Some expert help here please.

Posted from my mobile device


You are confusing the motive of the company with the presumed motive of the company.

Read the passage again. It does not out and out say that this is what the company wants. All of this is a presumption. We are trying to identify what would break the presumption.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 121
Location: India
GMAT Date: 03-15-2015
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 23:35
Hi,

The OA is A

I marked C as my answer
nightblade354 help
_________________
KUDOS will increase your score
Booth Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 11 Feb 2018
Posts: 293
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 23:41
Thank you.I marked A as well.Cheerio

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 121
Location: India
GMAT Date: 03-15-2015
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 23:50
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION
Falsification question


The author clearly believes that SevenG is made keeping the teenagers in mind. And this belief is based on the teenagers’ love for gaming on smartphones that have high powered graphics chipset. This is the only feature about SevenG that tells us that is it likely primarily aimed at the teenage population.

Falsification Condition#1

What if the proportion of teenage buyers out of all prospective buyers of such smartphones is quite insignificant?

If the proportion of teenagers who form the category of such smartphone buyers is very small/or negligible, then even if many teenagers buy the phone, its sales will not be high enough to significantly increase the revenue of iMinus.

Assumption#1

Teenagers form a significant proportion of all the potential buyers for SevenG.

Falsification Condition#2

What if there was some other factor about the phone that could deter the teenagers from buying it in spite of the graphics chipset?

Say, the teenage population does not prefer the form factor and design of SevenG at all. And that keeps them from going for SevenG. In that case, iMinus’ hopes of attracting teenagers and significantly boosting its revenues will be dashed.

Assumption#2

There is no other factor in the phone that could deter teenage buyers from making the purchase.


OPTIONS
A

This option means that teenage smartphone buyers form a significant proportion of all potential SevenG buyers.

This is in line with our pre-thinking assumption#1.

Thus, this is the correct answer choice.



B

Previous years’ success in achieving high sales figures does not necessarily mean that iMinus will definitely face success with SevenG. It is not a “must be true” condition for the conclusion to hold true.

Thus, this is not the correct answer choice.


C

This option suggests that several other currently selling smartphones may have a similarly powerful or less powerful graphics chipset than Adreno 630. The other smartphones don’t have to be less attractive for SevenG’s sales to be high. And if they are as attractive then it means SevenG’s sales might not be as high as expected. It would weaken the conclusion.

Thus, this is not the correct answer choice.



D

This option indicates that iMinus believes teenagers will buy SevenG and thereafter will be interested in buying the smart watches. But this is all after the sales of SevenG. Hence, this is irrelevant to the conclusion.

Thus, this is not the correct answer choice.



E

This option talks about the working class and not teenagers who may or may not be working. Hence, this is irrelevant to the conclusion.

Thus, this is not the correct answer choice.
_________________
KUDOS will increase your score
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7957
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 00:50
4d wrote:
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 630 graphics chipset, the cutting edge GPU that supports an unparalleled display experience. Teenagers – the population segment that utilizes smartphones for gaming on the go – love to own devices with high graphics power. Therefore, iMinus must have manufactured SevenG in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers, and to consequently boost its revenue significantly.

What is the assumption on which the argument depends?
A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant
B) iMinus has an impressive record of achieving the highest sales figures in the smartphone industry
C) Many of the currently selling smartphones do not have a graphics chipset more powerful than Adreno 630
D) iMinus has plans to launch a series of smartwatches that can be used by teenagers who own a SevenG
E) Most of the working population has a fetish for owning the latest smartphones irrespective of their features or costs


What does para say..

Latest smart phone - contains A, which supports unparallel display experience.
Teenagers love devices with high graphics power..
Therefore, SevenG MUST HAVE been manufactured keeping teenagers in mind.


As already discussed C is not the answer, and we come down to A.
But would A too fit in as an answer, although that would be the best in all.

A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant.

Two cases
Case (I).. it is not significant
So what!! .. Company must have manufactured in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers but their plan did not work on ground and teenagers have not got attracted. May be consumers other than teenagers have also found it attractive. Teenagers were attracted but the other lot was more impressed with the phone.
Case (II).. It is significant
So what!! .. Company must have manufactured in order to attract ALL smartphone buyers but teenagers strength was more, so their number is significant.

Actually there is no ground to take it as an assumption.

A valid assumption would be -
Quote:
The users other than the teenagers do not find much use of the Adreno 630 graphics chipset.


So this question is a very poor example. Please share the source.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jun 2017
Posts: 228
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 01:03
chetan2u wrote:
4d wrote:
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 630 graphics chipset, the cutting edge GPU that supports an unparalleled display experience. Teenagers – the population segment that utilizes smartphones for gaming on the go – love to own devices with high graphics power. Therefore, iMinus must have manufactured SevenG in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers, and to consequently boost its revenue significantly.

What is the assumption on which the argument depends?
A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant
B) iMinus has an impressive record of achieving the highest sales figures in the smartphone industry
C) Many of the currently selling smartphones do not have a graphics chipset more powerful than Adreno 630
D) iMinus has plans to launch a series of smartwatches that can be used by teenagers who own a SevenG
E) Most of the working population has a fetish for owning the latest smartphones irrespective of their features or costs


What does para say..

Latest smart phone - contains A, which supports unparallel display experience.
Teenagers love devices with high graphics power..
Therefore, SevenG MUST HAVE been manufactured keeping teenagers in mind.


As already discussed C is not the answer, and we come down to A.
But would A too fit in as an answer, although that would be the best in all.

A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant.

Two cases
Case (I).. it is not significant
So what!! .. Company must have manufactured in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers but their plan did not work on ground and teenagers have not got attracted. May be consumers other than teenagers have also found it attractive. Teenagers were attracted but the other lot was more impressed with the phone.
Case (II).. It is significant
So what!! .. Company must have manufactured in order to attract ALL smartphone buyers but teenagers strength was more, so their number is significant.

Actually there is no ground to take it as an assumption.

A valid assumption would be -
Quote:
The users other than the teenagers do not find much use of the Adreno 630 graphics chipset.


So this question is a very poor example. Please share the source.



Hi chetan2u
I did choose A over C because when C is negated , our conclusion still stands.

Moving over to your reply, I want to know why have you made 2 cases here ? When you have to points to negate in an option. Is this how you negate always?

Please share your thoughts.


Regards

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!

GMAT 1 - 620 .... Disappointed for 6 months. Im back Im back. Bhai dera tera COMEBACK !!!
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7957
Re: SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 01:16
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
4d wrote:
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 630 graphics chipset, the cutting edge GPU that supports an unparalleled display experience. Teenagers – the population segment that utilizes smartphones for gaming on the go – love to own devices with high graphics power. Therefore, iMinus must have manufactured SevenG in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers, and to consequently boost its revenue significantly.

What is the assumption on which the argument depends?
A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant
B) iMinus has an impressive record of achieving the highest sales figures in the smartphone industry
C) Many of the currently selling smartphones do not have a graphics chipset more powerful than Adreno 630
D) iMinus has plans to launch a series of smartwatches that can be used by teenagers who own a SevenG
E) Most of the working population has a fetish for owning the latest smartphones irrespective of their features or costs


What does para say..

Latest smart phone - contains A, which supports unparallel display experience.
Teenagers love devices with high graphics power..
Therefore, SevenG MUST HAVE been manufactured keeping teenagers in mind.


As already discussed C is not the answer, and we come down to A.
But would A too fit in as an answer, although that would be the best in all.

A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant.

Two cases
Case (I).. it is not significant
So what!! .. Company must have manufactured in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers but their plan did not work on ground and teenagers have not got attracted. May be consumers other than teenagers have also found it attractive. Teenagers were attracted but the other lot was more impressed with the phone.
Case (II).. It is significant
So what!! .. Company must have manufactured in order to attract ALL smartphone buyers but teenagers strength was more, so their number is significant.

Actually there is no ground to take it as an assumption.

A valid assumption would be -
Quote:
The users other than the teenagers do not find much use of the Adreno 630 graphics chipset.


So this question is a very poor example. Please share the source.



Hi chetan2u
I did choose A over C because when C is negated , our conclusion still stands.

Moving over to your reply, I want to know why have you made 2 cases here ? When you have to points to negate in an option. Is this how you negate always?

Please share your thoughts.


Regards

Posted from my mobile device



Hi,

If I get a question with such choices, I too would A. But I am sure that none of the reliable source will give you a question like this.

As for the two cases, I have basically tried to show that it is really not an assumption. You could just go with NEGATION technique. Both the cases are opposite of each other and both should give you the same answer.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 168
CAT Tests
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 02:22
4d wrote:
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 630 graphics chipset, the cutting edge GPU that supports an unparalleled display experience. Teenagers – the population segment that utilizes smartphones for gaming on the go – love to own devices with high graphics power. Therefore, iMinus must have manufactured SevenG in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers, and to consequently boost its revenue significantly.

What is the assumption on which the argument depends?
A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant
B) iMinus has an impressive record of achieving the highest sales figures in the smartphone industry
C) Many of the currently selling smartphones do not have a graphics chipset more powerful than Adreno 630
D) iMinus has plans to launch a series of smartwatches that can be used by teenagers who own a SevenG
E) Most of the working population has a fetish for owning the latest smartphones irrespective of their features or costs

Source : e-gmat


According to the argument,
iMinus must have manufactured SevenG in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers

As with option A,
(Try negating)
Even if the teenage buyers are insignificant, the company can always ATTRACT BUYERS !!

Not sure if A is the correct answer.
_________________
Hit Kudos to keep the community alive !
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Jan 2019
Posts: 164
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 03:02
Hi everyone,

Context
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 630 graphics chipset, the cutting edge GPU that supports an unparalleled display experience.

Information used to draw the conclusion
Teenagers – the population segment that utilizes smartphones for gaming on the go – love to own devices with high graphics power.

Conclusion
Therefore, iMinus must have manufactured SevenG in order to attract teenage smartphone buyers, and to consequently boost its revenue significantly.

What is the assumption on which the argument depends?

Pre-thinking:
Falsification scenario#1: what if this phone does not have gaming on the go?
Assumption#1: this phone includes gaming on the go

Falsification scenario#2: what if of all the customers the could be traced to the new phone only 1% are the teenagers interested in the display and going on the go?
assumption2: teenagers are a significant portion of customers buying the new phone


A) The proportion of teenage smartphone buyers out of all potential buyers of SevenG is not insignificant
B) iMinus has an impressive record of achieving the highest sales figures in the smartphone industry
C) Many of the currently selling smartphones do not have a graphics chipset more powerful than Adreno 630
D) iMinus has plans to launch a series of smartwatches that can be used by teenagers who own a SevenG
E) Most of the working population has a fetish for owning the latest smartphones irrespective of their features or costs


A is the only answer in line with pre-thinking while all the other choices either are irrelevant or do not affect the conclusion at all.

A



P.s. chetan2u I think this is a valid assumption because the conclusion is about the intention of the company. Since the intention is to attract teenagers and hence increase sales significantly if the segment representing the teenagers is not significant then the conclusion breaks.
Any thought on this?
GMAT Club Bot
SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2019, 03:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

SevenG - the latest smartphone released by iMinus - contains Adreno 63

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne