Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 13:30 It is currently 02 May 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35512 [359]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [70]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14679 [45]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 746 [21]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Partly as a result of Proposition 13, which severely limits property [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
Partly as a result of Proposition 13, which severely limits property tax increases, California has come more and more to rely on personal income taxes for its revenues; income taxes have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002.

A) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002

B) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to being up to 48 percent by 2002

C) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962, and by 2002 were up to 48 percent

D) increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962, and by 2002 were 48 percent

E) increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002

SC00150.02

Ok there's a lot of discussion about this but i didn't find anything satisfactory yet. So here's my 2 cents that may help.

Let's see the splits: 1) have increased-increased
2)from x to y is an idiom to remember if you are in such context (period)

1)taxes increased in the pasti.e., in a certain period from X to Y. So the period is over >>>> we have to use simple past: increased
I find few people seem to be confused as they saw "California has". That has nothing to do with this independent clause which is describing income tax increment (in the past).
This split eliminates A,B,C directly.

2) correct usage From x to y : This split error eliminates D.

And therefore our answer is E

Thanks. :thumbsup:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [15]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Partly as a result of Proposition 13, which severely limits property [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gamebredfighter wrote:
GMATNinja could u please explain this question

The major decision points here have been eloquently addressed by AndrewN, AjiteshArun, and others, but I'm happy to summarize.

Quote:
(A) Partly as a result of Proposition 13, which severely limits property tax increases, California has come more and more to rely on personal income taxes for its revenues; income taxes have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002.

As others have noted, the big problem here is the use of the present perfect, "have increased." When we use present perfect, we're communicating the notion that an action began in the past and continues into the present.

But that's not the case here. The increase happened entirely in the past, from 1962 to 2002, so we want a simple past tense verb, not a present perfect one.

(A), (B), and (C) all have the same verb tense error, so they're out.

Quote:
(D) Partly as a result of Proposition 13, which severely limits property tax increases, California has come more and more to rely on personal income taxes for its revenues; income taxes increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962, and by 2002 were 48 percent.

While this option corrects the tense issue, it introduces a meaning problem.

As soon as I see the phrase, "increased from 18 percent," I'm wondering "to what?" But we never get the "to y" phrase. This is a good illustration of how you can identify an idiom error by relying on logic and clarity instead of memorization. Sure, the correct idiom is "from x to y," but you didn't need to memorize that to see that it's difficult to understand the meaning of the phrase if we leave off the "to y" part.

Also, the use of "comma + and" makes it sound as though we're introducing a new idea, creating confusion about what was 48 percent. If you pore over the sentence, you can probably figure out what's happening, but it's confusing at best. I might take a look at (E) before I officially get rid of (D), but I'm immediately doubtful that (D) could be the correct answer.

Quote:
(E) Partly as a result of Proposition 13, which severely limits property tax increases, California has come more and more to rely on personal income taxes for its revenues; income taxes increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002.

Looks good. It uses the simple past tense for the increase between 1962 and 2002, and it's crystal clear that income taxes went from 18% at the start of the period to 48% at the end.

Because (E) corrects the verb tense issue and also addresses the meaning confusion introduced in (D), (E) is our winner.

I hope that helps!
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I marked E since the clause is dependent to the main idea expressed in the sentence that due to proposition 13, income taxes increased. Not sure if the reasoning is right.

Question is if after a semi colon, can a dependent clause (though in this case the clause has no verb) come?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [5]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
Partly as a result of Proposition 13, which severely limits property tax increases, California has come more and more to rely on personal income taxes for its revenues; income taxes have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002.

A) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002

B) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to being up to 48 percent by 2002

C) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962, and by 2002 were up to 48 percent

D) increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962, and by 2002 were 48 percent

E) increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002

SC00150.02

I eliminated "C" and "D" from x to Y is correct idiom.

B- "to being" is wrong Contruction

I was confused between "a" and "e". Than I saw the previous sentence in which "has" is used. That mean that thing is still going on.

That’s why I chose "A" for this reason.

Can anyone plz explain the reason for the same I.e. the percentage is still not increasing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [8]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

A) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002 - have increased should show something that has already occured with respect to frame of time. So, we cannot use by with have increased since that would mean that the percentage will increase by the amount sometime in future.

B) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to being up to 48 percent by 2002 - same as above + being in the sentence would mean something that is still happening - would violate the tense rule again.

C) have increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962, and by 2002 were up to 48 percent - from should be followed by to - idiom, not and. Also by is a problem.

D) increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962, and by 2002 were 48 percent - from... to idiom violation.

E) increased from 18 percent of the state's general fund in 1962 to 48 percent by 2002 - makes sense since we only have simple past increased here, not have increased.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 461
Schools: ISB'22
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Why option 'E' has been selected instead of 'A'?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:

SC00150.02

From X to Y is the correct idiom
So we can eliminate B,C and D
Between A and E
From 1962 to 2002 signifies that there has been a increase and it has ended some time back.So we need to use past tense.Hence E
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1241 [3]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma MentorTutoring

Could you validate below approach:

Quote:

Why do we need present perfect? The highlighted portion and the noun: income taxes suggest that we need a point of time
event in past.

Quote:

Simple past tense: increased matches apt. :)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6869 [6]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos