Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Young Applicant: USC Marshall Vs. Try again Next year [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
A story and then my 2 cents:

I went through this process twice. And yes, the first time around, I was admitted but I was also really young, like you. I went to the admitted student weekend / admitted student events for where I was admitted and tried to imagine myself being with that peer set for the next two years. And for me, *I* felt young. Sure, from an application point of view, I checked all the boxes and adcom felt I could contribute, which I could. But when I was having conversations with others, I didn't feel right in that setting. And at that point in the process, walking into that room with your school, it should feel right.

Now, that's my experience and my experience alone. At this point, the cards are in your hand. Go to the USC admit events -- see what you think. Maybe you'll fit right in (maybe they're skewing younger these days?), and you'll find your place and your people. Or maybe you'll have a little voice in the back of your head asking "what if?". If that voice is there, wait. Reapply later when that lingering question is not there anymore.

You're 1 year out of school basically. You have time. And even if you do wait, you can always of course reapply to USC if that's still a great fit for you at that point. Yes, it is possible to reapply and be admitted again; I wouldn't encourage it per se but it is possible. PM me if you want to chat more.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
I think you should wait another two years and reapply. Your stats are good enough for a top 15. You just need a strong work story and professional accomplishments to add onto those stats. Plus, if you reapply to your choice programs, they will see the improvements you've made and how you've grown since your initial interest. I definitely feel you should wait. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Young Applicant: USC Marshall Vs. Try again Next year [#permalink]
I say reapply. USC ranks below 30. With your GMAT score you should be top 10. No worse than top 20. You have the luxury of waiting another year. No need to rush it. Your application will be stronger next year.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would reapply, your performance in the process this year should be symbolic that with a good profile you were not very successful. You are a very young candidate so would recommend holding off for a few years and reapplying with a tight story and clear b-school need
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So I guess the question now is whether or not to wait two years and apply for the class of 2020 or apply round 1 this September. Anyone think I can pull it off this next application season?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
jerfted wrote:
So I guess the question now is whether or not to wait two years and apply for the class of 2020 or apply round 1 this September. Anyone think I can pull it off this next application season?

Are you stupid? Look at the average age and average work ex at your target programs. What will you be able to contribute to your classmates experience if you're 23 years old and have 2yrs experience? Wait two years and you'll have a much better shot.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbaseeker18 wrote:
jerfted wrote:

Are you stupid? Look at the average age and average work ex at your target programs. What will you be able to contribute to your classmates experience if you're 23 years old and have 2yrs experience? Wait two years and you'll have a much better shot.

That would be appropriate for the average applicant. I would consider myself and my background to be non-traditional. I am not looking to just go into finance or consulting, if I was, I would wait until the average age and WE. I'm looking to make a global change, and to me, the sooner the better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM