GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 17:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all NYU Stern MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022

new topic post reply Update application status  
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
Re: Calling all NYU Stern MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2019, 22:29
sgn00502 wrote:
Finally got my interview invite! R1 applicants, dont lose hope!

R1? I applied in R2 and that makes me believe I still have a chance.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Calling all NYU Stern MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 08:38
sgn00502 wrote:

Congratulations!

Nail the interview!

I really hate this rolling thing, I'm a round 2 and typically you hear back in 4-5 weeks from other schools, I'd rather just find out by a specific date and move on!! But based on yours, I'm guessing still hope left!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 12:29
MsInvBanker wrote:
sgn00502 wrote:

R1? I applied in R2 and that makes me believe I still have a chance.

Yep! Turns out you actually need to believe them when they say they have up to the notification deadline to invite for interview. Just put it out of your mind (difficult, i know) and move on with other things. What is meant to happen will happen.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 12:30
asb007 wrote:
sgn00502 wrote:

Congratulations!

Nail the interview!

I really hate this rolling thing, I'm a round 2 and typically you hear back in 4-5 weeks from other schools, I'd rather just find out by a specific date and move on!! But based on yours, I'm guessing still hope left!

Thank you!

Trust me rolling admissions had me totally believing I was getting a straight ding. At least now I have a fighting chance. Hoping I can actually convert this one.
Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member
Calling all NYU Stern MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Dec 2019, 23:05
it's not rolling. stern doing yield protection. no point in applying r1 when it gives no advantage. if anything, it's disadvantage because you have one less month of preparations

Originally posted by thomkatt on 18 Dec 2019, 13:42.
Last edited by thomkatt on 18 Dec 2019, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Stanford School Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q169 V157
GPA: 3.43

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 15:29
Do you have to submit an official GMAT before decision? I see that on the email. It's just surprising because no other school Ive applied to does this.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 09:08
thomkatt wrote:
it's not rolling. stern doing yield protection. no point in applying r1 when it gives no advantage. if anything, it's disadvantage because you have one less month of preparations

It's 100% rolling, I confirmed with the ad com. There are R2 applicants that might get an interview before a R1 gets a decision. They just do the deadlines so that someone who applied in october doesn't end up waiting till like april.

It's done to protect yield and also to attract top M7 rejects, so they like to keep them hanging as far as possible but not until april/may. That would be inhumane!

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 11:33
asb007 wrote:
thomkatt wrote:

It's 100% rolling, I confirmed with the ad com. There are R2 applicants that might get an interview before a R1 gets a decision. They just do the deadlines so that someone who applied in october doesn't end up waiting till like april.

It's done to protect yield and also to attract top M7 rejects, so they like to keep them hanging as far as possible but not until april/may. That would be inhumane!

Adcoms will say anything to protect their brand. There were a ton of R2 applicants that got interview invites before I even got any decision. So how is that possibly be rolling? They lump all R1 + R2 together. They pick NYC candidates first, and best candidates. The borderline or rejects move to R2. And rinse repeat. Once all of the invites go out, then they have a good overview of the applicant pool and can see who to invite, reject, or waitlist. Even my waitlist letter says I wont be considered until the Spring time and could last all the way until August. This is literally for the school to protect yield and have backup plans just in case some of those acceptances don't matriculate. And Stern wonders why it's slipping so bad.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 12:53
thomkatt wrote:
asb007 wrote:
thomkatt wrote:

Adcoms will say anything to protect their brand. There were a ton of R2 applicants that got interview invites before I even got any decision. So how is that possibly be rolling? They lump all R1 + R2 together. They pick NYC candidates first, and best candidates. The borderline or rejects move to R2. And rinse repeat. Once all of the invites go out, then they have a good overview of the applicant pool and can see who to invite, reject, or waitlist. Even my waitlist letter says I wont be considered until the Spring time and could last all the way until August. This is literally for the school to protect yield and have backup plans just in case some of those acceptances don't matriculate. And Stern wonders why it's slipping so bad.

That's essentially what I'm saying as well, they don't do separate rounds like the other schools with specific dates for each round, they lump all rounds in one and do sort of a rolling basis. Only difference is, in a typical rolling admission, the school will give you a decision generally around a reasonable time. What Stern does is simply put you in the back of the queue if you're not a loose canon but not a very convincing candidate either. They will assess incoming applications for as long as they can but if they don't get enough top quality applicants, they'll start giving those not so good a few calls for the interview. I think this is where I'm at now. It's still rolling because I believe candidates find out a D or WL before deadlines, I dont think that typically happens in a non-rolling school.

I'm an NYC candidate btw, but not a hot shot applicant by a mile. What you said is a worrying sign for me if true but still trying to keep it together.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.65

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 18:45
Have any admits heard from Stern after the initial acceptance call/portal update? The other schools I was accepted to have been reaching out with admit weekend info, pairing with alumni, industry clubs reaching out, etc but haven't heard much from them. Just wanted to check if anyone else has?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 20:02
francescah wrote:
Have any admits heard from Stern after the initial acceptance call/portal update? The other schools I was accepted to have been reaching out with admit weekend info, pairing with alumni, industry clubs reaching out, etc but haven't heard much from them. Just wanted to check if anyone else has?

I haven't received emails directly from them since receiving my offer, but if you log into the SternLife Portal (linked in your admit letter), you should be able to find several resources for admitted students including a link to register for the admit reception in February.
Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 20:35
asb007 wrote:

That's essentially what I'm saying as well, they don't do separate rounds like the other schools with specific dates for each round, they lump all rounds in one and do sort of a rolling basis. Only difference is, in a typical rolling admission, the school will give you a decision generally around a reasonable time. What Stern does is simply put you in the back of the queue if you're not a loose canon but not a very convincing candidate either. They will assess incoming applications for as long as they can but if they don't get enough top quality applicants, they'll start giving those not so good a few calls for the interview. I think this is where I'm at now. It's still rolling because I believe candidates find out a D or WL before deadlines, I dont think that typically happens in a non-rolling school.

I'm an NYC candidate btw, but not a hot shot applicant by a mile. What you said is a worrying sign for me if true but still trying to keep it together.

I think rolling admissions should be first in, first out. R1 should be given priority over R2. Not a single R2 should be looked at until all decisions have been made to R1 applicants. Otherwise it's complete BS and they're just trying to game the system. I used to love Stern, but now I see it has gone to crap. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. They completely deserve what happens to them in the rankings/prestige/reputations department

You already have a great offer with Duke, I'd chose Fuqua over Stern anyday though (this was even before I applied this year)
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 13:49
thomkatt wrote:

I'm not sure how it'd do yield protection. By only admitting top students that would actually hurt yield because they are more likely to go to M7 or T10. By admitting those who are right at or right above your average stats, WE quality, you're more likely to get people to commit to NYU.
Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 01:47
erlandgas wrote:
thomkatt wrote:

I'm not sure how it'd do yield protection. By only admitting top students that would actually hurt yield because they are more likely to go to M7 or T10. By admitting those who are right at or right above your average stats, WE quality, you're more likely to get people to commit to NYU.

they're not admitting top students though.

First, they look at the pool of R1 and R2 and invite local students to come visit and interview. I'm guessing this is a good way to make a connection and engage with them to hopefully both gauge their level of interest and convince them to matriculate

Next, because they can look at both pools R1 (the eager) and R2 (people who probably placed priority on M7 or better than Stern), they can see what kind of students they will be working with this year, as far as test scores/gpa/talent and figure out what's their threshold. As in, if the median GMAT score is now 720, they should invite students from around that range, rather than shooting for the moon. Admissions officers have a pretty good idea where students are applying to, and how good of a chance they have to get in. For example, you work for Goldman Sacs in NYC, have a 750 gmat and did undergrad at Ivy, you're most likely getting into CBS, Wharton, and/or Booth, all of which will be better choices than Stern.

Obviously, It's all theory by me. But I'd have to say that there's some truth to it, because this is exactly what I would do if I were Stern. And given what has transpired, I'm sure it's almost the case.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.02

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2019, 05:11
I had an interview on December 9.
I thought that admitted students got phone calls and the others got mails.
First I got mail to submit my official GMAT score.
Than I got another "status update" mail (20 December). I thought it was a ding but I got accepted. After 2 dings the feeling of success is so comforting.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2019, 01:40
Did anyone get an admit with EA scores? I want to understand what a good score is. Thanks in advance!
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 23:35
I don't know if it's yield protection. I think it's more along the lines of Stern wanting to figure out how high can we push our stats up and still fill a class of 400. They invite the top first without knowing what the true applicant pool will be. Then after a while when they get a good idea, they start inviting those just below the top. In my opinion, it's not about protecting yield, more about alright we invited the top but still need to fill a class of 400. How many more uninterviewed top students should we send out to make sure we still fill our 400 seats but can boost our stats up as high as possible. Then they'll send more until those 400 are filled. I believe it actually hurts yield which is why their yield has dropped lately. They only want to admit the top, but the top don't want to go there.
Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2020, 02:23
erlandgas wrote:
I don't know if it's yield protection. I think it's more along the lines of Stern wanting to figure out how high can we push our stats up and still fill a class of 400. They invite the top first without knowing what the true applicant pool will be. Then after a while when they get a good idea, they start inviting those just below the top. In my opinion, it's not about protecting yield, more about alright we invited the top but still need to fill a class of 400. How many more uninterviewed top students should we send out to make sure we still fill our 400 seats but can boost our stats up as high as possible. Then they'll send more until those 400 are filled. I believe it actually hurts yield which is why their yield has dropped lately. They only want to admit the top, but the top don't want to go there.

then why have 2 rounds? Oct and Nov? Why not just have the Nov round? it's to protect yield and see what the talent pool is and how high they can reach. Obviously, if they reach too high then their yield ultimately suffers. They probably have data and models on what their projected range is based on the two pools of applications and what's the chances of that student actually attending. These are multimillion dollar schools trying to protect their brand. Their yield is suffering because students are starting to realize the douchbaggery at the school and the tomfoolery by the admissions. You can't get top students who want to be in nyc and recruit for finance, and not let those same people be douchbag finance bros. it's a self fullfilling prophecy
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 00:20
thomkatt wrote:
erlandgas wrote:

then why have 2 rounds? Oct and Nov? Why not just have the Nov round? it's to protect yield and see what the talent pool is and how high they can reach. Obviously, if they reach too high then their yield ultimately suffers. They probably have data and models on what their projected range is based on the two pools of applications and what's the chances of that student actually attending. These are multimillion dollar schools trying to protect their brand. Their yield is suffering because students are starting to realize the douchbaggery at the school and the tomfoolery by the admissions. You can't get top students who want to be in nyc and recruit for finance, and not let those same people be douchbag finance bros. it's a self fullfilling prophecy

They have multiple rounds simply so they dont get completely demolished on reputation because of their complete **** policy. Rounds mean nothing except them saying "at least we wont leave you hanging until june". It's a hybrid admission system where your application is put into different buckets of strength and if its ever picked up, then the rolling admission cycle begins.

A deadline almost 2 1/2 months ahead just to get notified for an interview (not even a final decision) is inhumane. Absolute nonsense!! There is no other school like this.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 00:21
Highly doubt I'd get an interview now (r2 app) but has anybody gotten any updates?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all NYU Stern MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2020, 00:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13    Next  [ 256 posts ] 

Calling all NYU Stern MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: MsInvBanker