GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 16:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In their latest press release, the company's new management stated a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In their latest press release, the company's new management stated a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2015, 04:45
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
Both the sentences are not correct.

Sentence 1 is INCORRECT. The pronoun IT cannot refer to "Human Body's" (possessive noun).

Sentence 2 is CORRECT. The pronoun IT refers to "Human Body".

Hi AryamaDuttaSaikia
I have a doubt if it's not allowed to refer back to a possessive- how come this sentence is correct.

Isn't it referring to company?

the company's new managers stated their plan to expand itsoperations

Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member
Re: In their latest press release, the company's new management stated a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 04:42
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 07:44
Dipankar6435 wrote:
ConnectTheDots wrote:
the company's new managers stated their plan to expand its operations

"Its" is referring to "the company". And yes it is allowed to refer back possessive with a pronoun.

I thought possessive could not be referred back with a pronoun. Can someone cite some other similar examples to debunk this myth of mine :)

BUt I read it in the manhattan's book that pronouns are not allowed to refer back possessive.
Can someone pls guide on this?
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 22:52
PraktanP Two things about possessives and pronouns:

1) The rule you're thinking of--"possessive poison"--states that a non-possessive pronoun can't refer back to a possessive noun, so if we followed that rule, we couldn't say "Sandeep's wife loves him," because technically there's no antecedent for "him," even though the intended meaning is obvious! However, this doesn't stop the possessive "its" from referring back to the possessive "company's." In other words, that rule doesn't apply to this problem.

2) The GMAT has actually abandoned this rule, so feel free to say "Sandeep's wife loves him" to your heart's content. :)

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 03:54
I narrowed down the answer choices to C and E. I am unable to understand why E is wrong. Could somebody please enlighten me on this?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 08:49
ConnectTheDots wrote:

"Its" is referring to "the company". And yes it is allowed to refer back possessive with a pronoun.

daagh Please see this. I have read that it is not allowed to refer back to possessive noun with a pronoun but here its something else.
Moreover, Manhattan also did the same thing. As per mgmat this is correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 08:50
Dipankar6435 wrote:
ConnectTheDots wrote:

I thought possessive could not be referred back with a pronoun. Can someone cite some other similar examples to debunk this myth of mine :)

Even I knew the same thing as yours. Confused too.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 08:53
pqhai wrote:
Darmody wrote:
In their latest press release, the company's new management stated a plan for expansion of its operations into the global software market via a series of acquisitions in Asia and Latin America.
A) the company's new management stated a plan for expansion of its operations
B) the new company's management stated that they planned on expanding its operations
C) the company's new managers stated their plan to expand its operations
D) the new company managers stated their plan for its operations, expanding
E) the company's new management stated that they planned to expand its operations

can somebody explain why it is ok that the pronoun "its" in "its operation" does not seem to have an antecedent?

Because of "their" ==> we should use "managers", not "management"
Down to C, D
C is correct. idiom "plan to do"

pqhai What about "its" in C. How can we refer back to possessive noun with a pronoun. Just becoz of this error, I Moved on to next option.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 08:54
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
Both the sentences are not correct.

Sentence 1 is INCORRECT. The pronoun IT cannot refer to "Human Body's" (possessive noun).

Sentence 2 is CORRECT. The pronoun IT refers to "Human Body".

Referring back to original question in the thread...
What about "its" in C. How can we refer back to possessive noun with a pronoun. Just becoz of this error, I Moved on to next option.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
In their latest press release, the company's new management stated a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
As far as I know, the consideration here is the words 'the company's' and 'its' and not 'the company' and 'its'. we can match a possessive noun with another possessive pronoun as you find in this case. Hence, C is good enough. D changes the entire meaning of the original text by stating that there is a 'new company'.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

In their latest press release, the company's new management stated a   [#permalink] 19 May 2018, 10:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

In their latest press release, the company's new management stated a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap