Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

School Choice

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GRE 1: Q163 V164
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Send PM
Re: Kellogg ($) v. Tuck ($) v. SOM ($) [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manjund wrote:
Thanks for the input bb!

One of the things that has made me hold off from pulling the trigger is that Tuck offers a dual MBA/MPH in two years, which seemed intriguing given my long-term goals. I don't think the lack of an MPH at Kellogg is a dealbreaker per se, but interested to hear whether this might warrant a second look at Tuck. Am I hamstringing myself by not getting an MPH given my long-term goals or will HCAK at Kellogg be sufficient enough? Not sure if this a question folks here can answer, but would love some input if anyone has insight into this.

You are correct in your assumption - I am not much help with the MPH degree (though I can see how it would be very valid for a while). What does it take to get an MPH in addition to an MBA? Do you have to sacrifice the summer internship? What is the trade off? (just the cost?)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Bookmarks
manjund wrote:
I am in the extremely fortunate (and tough) position of deciding between Kellogg (w/ a $40K scholarship - $20k per year), Tuck (no $ - I'll be speaking to fin. aid next week and will update if this changes), and SOM (no $ - should be hearing back from fin. aid in the next week or two).

What makes the decision even harder is the lack of admit weekends and, while I've reached out to students and alumni from each, I'd love to crowdsource some opinions here from less-biased folks. :)

My current thought right now is Kellogg > Tuck > SOM, but Kellogg and Tuck are fairly neck-and-neck and if Tuck were to come back with a competitive scholarship offer, I don't know how I would make a choice between the two. I'd probably reconsider SOM if they returned with a competitive scholarship that I basically couldn't refuse (ie. half ride or more).

Career Goals:
  • The current thought is to go into strategy/innovation consulting immediately after b-school and long-term I'd like to work in the global health space (healthcare delivery). I'm not totally sold on the frequent travel associated with consulting (I'm currently a consultant lol) post-MBA, so the secondary option would be an in-house strategy role related to healthcare tech/innovation.
  • Location-wise post-MBA, I'm looking at Boston, Seattle, Chicago, and Austin for the most part, but would consider other major cities depending on the opportunity. All this to say, I'd like to make sure whichever school I choose has a wide-ish reach and solid network in most major cities.

Let me know if I can provide more information!

I don’t know what Tuck’s healthcare recruiting looks like but Kellogg has a pretty strong group of people interested in healthcare and robust healthcare recruiting. There is also a prof who is very well respected in the healthcare strategy space. Craig Garthwaite do you may be interested in looking him up. Hard for me to say who “wins” the battle in the healthcare space because I’m not familiar with the offerings at Yale or tuck for global health but I definitely think you will find plenty of support and resources at Kellogg in that space.

Kellogg is a consulting powerhouse so among the 3 they win there.

The biggest difference between Kellogg and the other two are program size. Kellogg’s program is one of the largest whereas tuck and Yale are on the small side. The plus side of being smaller is that you get to know everyone in your class really really well. The downside is that everyone knows everyone really really well. There is no privacy and it is difficult to escape the bschool bubble. Another downside is that the alumni network is also a lot smaller. If it was important to me that I know everyone in my class and I wanted a small program AND tuck/Yale offered money (Yale would have to be significantly more money) then I would pick one of the other two, but if I don’t care about class size I would take Kellogg.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you! And great point about the class-size! Class-size also helps with attracting employers on campus. Would they rather make a trip for a group of 300 or 600? In Chicago or New Haven?

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thank you! And great point about the class-size! Class-size also helps with attracting employers on campus. Would they rather make a trip for a group of 300 or 600? In Chicago or New Haven?

I think you mean Chicago or New Hampshire? ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks bb and FuturePM91! These are very helpful points.

As far as the MPH/MBA program at Tuck - it does not significantly impact summer internships. I was put in touch with someone who successfully completed an internship at an MBB while doing the program. But, in researching the opportunities for my secondary option (if I decide not to pursue consulting), it seems Kellogg might be my best option.

What I'm struggling with is deciding whether the class size/location is as important as I'm making it out to be in my head. I loved the idea of spending a couple of years out in Hanover, since I likely wouldn't have that opportunity in the future. I suppose this is a 'me' problem and something I can only answer ha.

One other update, Yale came back with an equal scholarship to Kellogg's offer, however, it is merit-based and includes a Forte fellowship (Kellogg's is need-based, does not include Forte). I'm going to continue researching this since I'm not as familiar with the program, but does this factor significantly impact how I should view Yale's offer? Is it possible (or worth it) to take the offer to Kellogg and ask them to meet the Forte fellowship portion?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
bb wrote:

I think you mean Chicago or New Hampshire? ;)

I make a ton of mistakes but in this case I forgot where Tuck was located exactly, so i said New Haven which is where Yale is (and it is not convenient for flying in)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
manjund wrote:
Thanks bb and FuturePM91! These are very helpful points.

As far as the MPH/MBA program at Tuck - it does not significantly impact summer internships. I was put in touch with someone who successfully completed an internship at an MBB while doing the program. But, in researching the opportunities for my secondary option (if I decide not to pursue consulting), it seems Kellogg might be my best option.

What I'm struggling with is deciding whether the class size/location is as important as I'm making it out to be in my head. I loved the idea of spending a couple of years out in Hanover, since I likely wouldn't have that opportunity in the future. I suppose this is a 'me' problem and something I can only answer ha.

One other update, Yale came back with an equal scholarship to Kellogg's offer, however, it is merit-based and includes a Forte fellowship (Kellogg's is need-based, does not include Forte). I'm going to continue researching this since I'm not as familiar with the program, but does this factor significantly impact how I should view Yale's offer? Is it possible (or worth it) to take the offer to Kellogg and ask them to meet the Forte fellowship portion?

Forte is a great program for getting admitted to business school and being able to afford it but other than that the title doesn’t give you any advantage whatsoever. It’s basically worth the same $40k as the Kellogg scholarship. If I were in your shoes take would have to offer quite a bit more than Kellogg for me to consider them. At least 50%. And no, I wouldn’t ask Kellogg to make you a forte fellow because of aforementioned non-relevance.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
Send PM
Kellogg all the way even if you had no money. Better ranked, better career prospects in consulting, better location for 2 yrs
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts