Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Video Essay [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Might be a net positive. They are trying to gain insight into who you are, and it shows well that you reset, laughed it off and moved forward. So that might be a bigger win than having the perfect pat response.
pjij1991 wrote:
Did anyone else completely mess up on one of the video questions? I felt prepared but had an moment of nervousness and babbled for like 30 seconds. I ended up taking a deep breath and resetting, acknowledging the moment with some humor but I also wasted most of the 1 minute response.. Curious what y'all think about that in the overall application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q56 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Some tips:
This type of video essay is certainly challenging in terms of its unpredictability and one chance to get it right. Unlike interviews with a human on the other side – whether in-person, Skype, or even on the phone – you don’t have any feedback coming through verbal and visual cues, and thus, it’s difficult (but not impossible!) to gauge how you are coming across to the adcom. The timed environment poses an additional challenge as there isn’t an ability to extend an interview answer or go back and explain something that may have come out the wrong way. So, what can you do to help maximize your performance in this candid format? Preparation is key.

1.Be Yourself: The best advice I have to nail any type of essay, interview or video essays is to be yourself. Programs have incorporated this component as a way to get to know you, your personality, and your fit with the school, so above all, be yourself. Reflect on your own experiences and answer questions honestly, instead of thinking, “What do they want to hear?”

2.Prepare, Practice, Repeat: The second best advice I have to give you is to prepare and practice. And when you don’t think you can prepare and practice anymore, do it one more time. I coach my clients to write out their ideal responses, practice out loud (look in a mirror and/or record yourself to get some feedback) and make sure that your responses fit within the given timeframe. In the past, programs such as Kellogg gave applicants 3 questions with 20 seconds to prepare and 1 minute for a response.

Generally, the questions fall into these 3 categories: 1) Get to know you, 2) Why MBA/career goals, 3) Behavioral question (Tell me about a time when….). You should brainstorm and research questions that fall into these categories to make sure you have a bank of responses that can be easily modified for the video essay. Here are some questions that would be a great start to practice:

Why are you applying for an MBA now? (Variation: Why are you applying to our program?)
Tell us about a time when you prevented a problem from happening.
Tell us about a time you’ve faced a significant obstacle and you overcame it.
It has been said that an individual can’t make a significant impact on global issues by themselves. Do you agree or disagree?
What is one thing you’ve always wanted to try?
What is the most interesting course you took as a student?
If you could meet anyone (living or dead), who would it be and why?
3. Do a Test Run: Make sure you do a test run prior to the actual interview by recording yourself in a neat environment with good lighting and no clutter. Test for a reliable internet connection and dress nicely (e.g. business casual). I know it feels uncomfortable to watch yourself on video, but the benefits are invaluable. Examine your test run to make sure you’re clearly visible and audible. Check that your expressions are coming across the right way. Finally, examine the content – did you articulate your MBA story, personality and experiences in a clear, compelling and succinct manner? There is always room for improvement so ask a trusted friend for help if you need another opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
I messed up 2 questions big time. It was a disaster. Couldn't even speak anything as I got really nervous and froze. All the best applicants.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Timebomb wrote:
I messed up 2 questions big time. It was a disaster. Couldn't even speak anything as I got really nervous and froze. All the best applicants.

I am doing mine tomorrow and just saw that you got in! Congrats, that is encouraging to know even if one does not perfoms one's best, there are still chances!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
VictorGuima wrote:
Timebomb wrote:

I am doing mine tomorrow and just saw that you got in! Congrats, that is encouraging to know even if one does not perfoms one's best, there are still chances!

Hello. Apologies for delayed response. I would definitely say that video essays have minimum impact on your candidacy. My video essays went really bad and imho I really did not bomb the interview as compared to my other interviews (at Tuck and Stern).

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Quick question - how are you preparing for the video essays?

Any tips?

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Kudos
I applied in R1. Had advice to practice recording myself a few times and note the big concepts I wanted to hit. They give you the questions with a 1-minute limit for each (video cuts so don’t run over). It’s just important to be conversational and get your point across. IMO it’s a minor part compared to the actual essays

Originally posted by chaotik1600 on 08 Oct 2020, 12:39.
Last edited by chaotik1600 on 08 Oct 2020, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [2]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos