GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jul 2020, 22:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Video Essay

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge
Video Essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2020, 13:46
Did anyone else completely mess up on one of the video questions? I felt prepared but had an moment of nervousness and babbled for like 30 seconds. I ended up taking a deep breath and resetting, acknowledging the moment with some humor but I also wasted most of the 1 minute response.. Curious what y'all think about that in the overall application.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.34
Re: Video Essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2020, 14:01
I'm sure it wasn't that bad and I imagine they know that everyone is nervous so it should be alright :) Control the things you can. I'm doing mine tomorrow and super nervous too
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2020, 16:00
pjij1991 wrote:
Did anyone else completely mess up on one of the video questions? I felt prepared but had an moment of nervousness and babbled for like 30 seconds. I ended up taking a deep breath and resetting, acknowledging the moment with some humor but I also wasted most of the 1 minute response.. Curious what y'all think about that in the overall application.

Posted from my mobile device

Did you get all the questions like introduce yourself, career goal and behavioral question or was there any change from previous rounds. I am planning to do it today so it will be really helpful.
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2020, 01:18
Might be a net positive. They are trying to gain insight into who you are, and it shows well that you reset, laughed it off and moved forward. So that might be a bigger win than having the perfect pat response.
pjij1991 wrote:

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q56 V40

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2020, 12:17
Some tips:
This type of video essay is certainly challenging in terms of its unpredictability and one chance to get it right. Unlike interviews with a human on the other side – whether in-person, Skype, or even on the phone – you don’t have any feedback coming through verbal and visual cues, and thus, it’s difficult (but not impossible!) to gauge how you are coming across to the adcom. The timed environment poses an additional challenge as there isn’t an ability to extend an interview answer or go back and explain something that may have come out the wrong way. So, what can you do to help maximize your performance in this candid format? Preparation is key.

1.Be Yourself: The best advice I have to nail any type of essay, interview or video essays is to be yourself. Programs have incorporated this component as a way to get to know you, your personality, and your fit with the school, so above all, be yourself. Reflect on your own experiences and answer questions honestly, instead of thinking, “What do they want to hear?”

2.Prepare, Practice, Repeat: The second best advice I have to give you is to prepare and practice. And when you don’t think you can prepare and practice anymore, do it one more time. I coach my clients to write out their ideal responses, practice out loud (look in a mirror and/or record yourself to get some feedback) and make sure that your responses fit within the given timeframe. In the past, programs such as Kellogg gave applicants 3 questions with 20 seconds to prepare and 1 minute for a response.

Generally, the questions fall into these 3 categories: 1) Get to know you, 2) Why MBA/career goals, 3) Behavioral question (Tell me about a time when….). You should brainstorm and research questions that fall into these categories to make sure you have a bank of responses that can be easily modified for the video essay. Here are some questions that would be a great start to practice:

Why are you applying for an MBA now? (Variation: Why are you applying to our program?)
Tell us about a time when you prevented a problem from happening.
Tell us about a time you’ve faced a significant obstacle and you overcame it.
It has been said that an individual can’t make a significant impact on global issues by themselves. Do you agree or disagree?
What is one thing you’ve always wanted to try?
What is the most interesting course you took as a student?
If you could meet anyone (living or dead), who would it be and why?
3. Do a Test Run: Make sure you do a test run prior to the actual interview by recording yourself in a neat environment with good lighting and no clutter. Test for a reliable internet connection and dress nicely (e.g. business casual). I know it feels uncomfortable to watch yourself on video, but the benefits are invaluable. Examine your test run to make sure you’re clearly visible and audible. Check that your expressions are coming across the right way. Finally, examine the content – did you articulate your MBA story, personality and experiences in a clear, compelling and succinct manner? There is always room for improvement so ask a trusted friend for help if you need another opinion.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2020, 12:20
I messed up 2 questions big time. It was a disaster. Couldn't even speak anything as I got really nervous and froze. All the best applicants.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 14:06
Timebomb wrote:
I messed up 2 questions big time. It was a disaster. Couldn't even speak anything as I got really nervous and froze. All the best applicants.

I am doing mine tomorrow and just saw that you got in! Congrats, that is encouraging to know even if one does not perfoms one's best, there are still chances!
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2020, 05:28
VictorGuima wrote:
Timebomb wrote:

I am doing mine tomorrow and just saw that you got in! Congrats, that is encouraging to know even if one does not perfoms one's best, there are still chances!

Hello. Apologies for delayed response. I would definitely say that video essays have minimum impact on your candidacy. My video essays went really bad and imho I really did not bomb the interview as compared to my other interviews (at Tuck and Stern).

All the best.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Video Essay   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2020, 05:28

Video Essay

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Lekoben, Padfoot, Priyanka1293