GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 01:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

82% (01:58) correct 18% (02:37) wrong based on 1139 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members traveled to France, and 32 members traveled to Italy. Last year no members of the club traveled to both England and France, 6 members traveled to both England and Italy, and 11 members traveled to both France and Italy. How many members of the club traveled to at least one of these three countries last year?

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 22:12
Bunuel wrote:
Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members traveled to France, and 32 members traveled to Italy. Last year no members of the club traveled to both England and France, 6 members traveled to both England and Italy, and 11 members traveled to both France and Italy. How many members of the club traveled to at least one of these three countries last year?

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

n(E or F or I) = n(E) + n(F) + n(I) - n(E and F) - n(F and I) - n(I and E) +n(E and F and I)

n(E or F or I) = 26 + 26 + 32 - 0 - 11 - 6 + 0

Why is the number of people who traveled to E and F and I 0? Because no one traveled to both England and France. So obviously, no one would have traveled to England, France and Italy.

n(E or F or I) = 67

Answer (B)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 19:09
Here's a video explanation for this problem:

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 15:10
Answer is B) 67

Draw Venn diagram to represent this and you'll notice that people traveled to more than one country but not all three. The question is same as how many people traveled ?

So 26 + 26 + 32 - (11 + 6) = 67
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 02:11
Bunuel wrote:

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

Attachment:
Venn Diagram.JPG
Venn Diagram.JPG [ 37.54 KiB | Viewed 12502 times ]

a+b= 6
b+c = 11
Refer England team: a+b+ (persons who only went to England) = 26
Persons who only went to England = 26 - (a+b) = 26-6 = 20

Refer French team: b+c+(persons who only went to France) = 26
Persons who only went to France = 26 - (b+c) = 15

Refer Italian team: a+b+c+f = 32

Now with above info.

Members of the club traveled to at least one of these three countries = Nothing but summation of all values (take only once)

Leftmost circle (England) : (20+a+b)
French: 15+c (all remaining already covered in previous circle)
Italy: f (all other variables taken in previous two circles)

(20+a+b)+(15+c)+f will give the answer

20+15+ a+b+c+f = 35+32 = 67

B is the answer.
Director
Director
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member CAT Tests
Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jul 2016, 07:22
to england=26
to france = 26
to italy=32
england and france =0
england and italy = 6
france and italy =11
all 3=0
neither=0

total=26+26+32-(0+6+11)+0 +0
= 67

Originally posted by CounterSniper on 05 Jul 2016, 02:57.
Last edited by CounterSniper on 05 Jul 2016, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 06:39
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

n(E or F or I) = n(E) + n(F) + n(I) - n(E and F) - n(F and I) - n(I and E) +n(E and F and I)

Why is the number of people who traveled to E and F and I 0? Because no one traveled to both England and France. So obviously, no one would have traveled to England, France and Italy.

n(E or F or I) = 67

Answer (B)

i am confused, pls, help me.

I think the formulae is

N= E+F+I - N(E AND F) - N (F and I)- N (I and E) - 2 N (E AND F AND I)

we need minuse two times the number of member who travel to 3 countries- in this case this number is zero.
but in general formulae, we need minus, not plus .

pls, explain, i am confused.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

P

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 23:33
thangvietnam wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

n(E or F or I) = 67

Answer (B)

i am confused, pls, help me.

I think the formulae is

N= E+F+I - N(E AND F) - N (F and I)- N (I and E) - 2 N (E AND F AND I)

we need minuse two times the number of member who travel to 3 countries- in this case this number is zero.
but in general formulae, we need minus, not plus .

pls, explain, i am confused.

These are two different formulas:

Total = n(A) + n(B) + n(C) – n(A and B) – n(B and C) – n(C and A) + n(A and B and C) + n(No Set)

Total = n(A) + n(B) + n(C) – n(Only A and B) – n(Only B and C) – n( Only C and A) - 2* n(A and B and C) + n(No Set)

n(A and B) in first formula includes the elements falling in n(A and B and C)
n(Only A and B) in second formula does not include the elements falling in n(A and B and C). It has element which fall in A and B only, not in C.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 19:15
Top Contributor
Attached is a visual that should help. Note that 3! is 6, which confirms that there are only 3 overlapping sets of 2 to account for.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 7.14.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 7.14.11 PM.png [ 87.55 KiB | Viewed 11677 times ]

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.16

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 00:27
CounterSniper wrote:
to england=26
to france = 26
to italy=32
england and france =0
england and italy = 6
france and italy =11
all 3=0
neither=0

= 67

I did it the same way as well, however I wasn't sure of one thing. How do we know that all three = 0? If nothing is mentioned about it, is it assumed to be 0?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 02:20
Neeraj91 wrote:
CounterSniper wrote:
to england=26
to france = 26
to italy=32
england and france =0
england and italy = 6
france and italy =11
all 3=0
neither=0

= 67

I did it the same way as well, however I wasn't sure of one thing. How do we know that all three = 0? If nothing is mentioned about it, is it assumed to be 0?

No, it is not assumed. If you take ALL three as Non Zero, then we will have few who travel to both England and France. But the question stem says, we don't have anyone who traveled to both England and France.

I hope its clear now.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 04:08
there can be two formula for this problem. but if you can draw 3 circles , you can remember 3 formula easily.

be careful .
N=A+B+C- AB-BC-AC-2ABC
AB is the number having only two characters
N= A+B+C-AB-BC-AC+ABC
AB is the number having AT LEAST TWO characters.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 20:05
Hi Bunuel ,

Could you please help me understand . As where in the question it is given that intersection of all the 3 is 0 .

Regards ,

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 01:40
abhisheknandy08 wrote:
Hi Bunuel ,

Could you please help me understand . As where in the question it is given that intersection of all the 3 is 0 .

This is explained in Karishma's post above: "Why is the number of people who traveled to E and F and I 0? Because no one traveled to both England and France. So obviously, no one would have traveled to England, France and Italy".

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 11:50
Bunuel wrote:

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

We are asked for members who traveled to at least one of these three countries, it can also include members who have traveled two.

As per the attachment, the calculation will be

\(20 + 6 + 15 + 11 + 15 = 67\)

Hence, Answer is B
Attachments

GMAT.PNG
GMAT.PNG [ 8.03 KiB | Viewed 7235 times ]

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 07:51
Bunuel wrote:

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

We are given the following:

England travelers = 26

France travelers = 26

Italy travelers = 32

England and France travelers = 0

England and Italy travelers = 6

France and Italy travelers = 11

Although it’s not stated directly, we can determine that 0 people traveled to all 3 countries because 0 people traveled to both England and France.

In determining how many people traveled to at least one country, we are actually determining the total number of travelers, since each traveler did travel to at least one country. We can do this with the following formula:

Total travelers = England + France + Italy - sum of (exactly two countries) - 2 times (all three countries)

Total travelers = 26 + 26 + 32 - (6 + 11 + 0) - 2(0)

Total travelers = 84 - 17 - 0 = 67

Thus, 67 people traveled to at least one country.

Answer: B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

P

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 10:39
Bunuel wrote:

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

n(E or F or I) = 67

Answer (B)

Responding to a pm:

Quote:
Hi, in this problem, you have concluded that members traveling to all three countries is 0, based on "Last year no members of the club traveled to both England and France" from the problem statement. However, in the context of the whole question, it seems as if the implication is "no members traveled to E and F exclusively".

What would the problem statement have to be to rule out the members traveling to all three countries not 0?

This is what the problem states: "Last year no members of the club traveled to both England and France"

Both (England and France) is 0.

So no one could have travelled to both countries. Hence, travelling to all 3 is not possible.

Had the question said: "Last year no members of the club traveled to England and France only"
then all three was possible.

Karishma

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 02:21
In this question "Last year no members of the club traveled to both England and France," this sentence has a huge implication. It implies that no person traveled to 3 three countries. If anybody traveled to all the three countries, number of members travelling to both England and France would be greater than 0.

f= members that traveled to France only
e=members that traveled to England only
i= members that traveled to Italy only
ef= members that traveled to both England and France = 0
ei= members that traveled to both England and Italy = 6
if= members that traveled to both Italy and France = 11

e + ef + ei = 26
f + ef + if = 26
i + if + ei =32

adding the three equation will give us

e+i+f + 2ef + 2ei + 2if = 84

e+i+f + 2(0) + 2(6) + 2(11) = 84

e+i+f = 50

We found that 50 members traveled to just 1 country. we also know from question that 6 and 11 people traveled to two countries, therefore answer is 50 + 6 + 11 = 67

If this question is still unclear to you, write to me I will try to explain
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 18:22
If you are looking for more 3-set Venn Diagram questions to practice on from the Official Guide, I have compiled a list here:

Three-set Venn Diagrams

I think that it is useful to draw out the diagram for 3-set Venn Diagram questions, and this question is a good example of that. The key thing to realize is that there are 0 people in the overlap between England and France, which also means that no one traveled to all 3 countries. Once we see that, we can apply the formula:

Total = Group1 + Group2 + Group3 - (sum of 2-group overlaps) - 2*(all three) + None

realizing that (all three) = 0 and (sum of 2-group overlaps) = 6 + 11. In addition, we are just looking for the number that traveled to at least one country, so we can set None = 0 and plug in the numbers we were given for each group. Doing that, we get

Total = 26 + 26 + 32 - (6+11) - 2*0 + 0 = 67

Please let me know if you have any questions, and if you would like me to post a video solution!

GMAT timing strategy coach and tutor with a 780 GMAT score. Harvard graduate.

Please read and share my free GMAT Timing Strategy Guide!

Re: Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members &nbs [#permalink] 11 Aug 2018, 18:22

Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap