It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.2
Premium Member
Re: Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 16:25
niks18 wrote:
Hi roy26

I was also asked for a video presentation and i submitted the same yesterday. Today I received the reply that it will be reviewed by end of Nov/beginning of Dec. Is it also the same with you?

In a rolling admission process they should not be waiting for the R1 deadline I guess :roll:

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Re: Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 16:28
Sorry, I haven't yet submitted the video presentation. The standard procedure is that they would review all at once by the first week of Dec.

I really need to push myself and get the video completed.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V30
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 09:01
Thanks Roy,

sejda is one of the online editing tools I used. It does the job, though its time taking.
Intern
Intern
Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 11:26
Hi Anubhav,

Do we need to take IELTS/TOEFL even when the grad was taught in English and I have been working in a US based company(English environment) for past 7 years?
Mailed AdCom, she said we see everything before rolling admissions, even basic requirements of Visa. So for Visa is IELTS a must?
Secondly, If I apply by december end will I stand a good chance, or should I apply little earlier(considering I have to plan and take IELTS)?

I was planning for Nov 30 deadline, but I think with this IELTS requirement, have to wait a little more. Also, please evaluate my profile:
X: 86.2%
XII: 81%
Grad(Bachelr of Engineering): 72%
GMAT: 710
7 years of experience in Telecom Industry. Workin in R&D deptt of a US based telecom firm.
Extra curricular: Drummer and Manager of a progressive metal band with more than 200 shows, TV episodes and music album.
Got few awards in professional arena.

How good a candidate am I to apply to Mannheim if I manage a decent score in IELTS? Any tips are welcome.
Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 23:05
Hi All,

I submitted my application yesterday and have been asked to provide video presentation. Need suggestions on following
1) They have asked 4 questions, Do I need to make four video presentations or combine all four questions in one presentation only
2) Which Applications would be the best to make video presentation
3) Honestly, I have never made such presentation.. So need some inputs on the same.

Thanks All
PS Forum Moderator
P
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 10:19
Manu86 wrote:
Hi All,

I submitted my application yesterday and have been asked to provide video presentation. Need suggestions on following
1) They have asked 4 questions, Do I need to make four video presentations or combine all four questions in one presentation only
3) Honestly, I have never made such presentation.. So need some inputs on the same.

Thanks All

Hi Manu86

if you have a good DSLR camera or a mobile phone, you can record your video. Ensure the recording is done in a quite room so that outside sound is not a distraction.
Ideally there should be a single video of not more than 5 minutes. Nobody will take pains to watch 4 different videos.
Take help from someone who is good at editing if required.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CA, SAP FICO
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 23:31
Manu86 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks All

Hi,

can you pls share the topics for the video presentation?
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 06:52
Hey guys, one question about this program. What do you think about it in terms of career services? I asked them to contact me with some alumni and their response was: search in linkedin. I think that this is the first time that I've received that kind of answer and if that is their willingness just to contact me with someone, what can you expect from their career services?

Let me know your thoughts,
FM
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 08:13
Wow! Perfectly justifiable response. I have more incentive now to get into this program.

Mannheim Thread Master
B
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GRE 1: 313 Q167 V146

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 01:58
Hello Fermar84,

I am sorry if you're disappointed with your experience with career service team. I personally never ask such thing to them, thus i cannot comment much on that thing.
Regarding expectation, i do not rely on them to find a job for me. I expect them to teach me how to get a job in Germany. I am not familiar with German job market, and i believe it is very different from my own country. Moreover, the MBA workload is tough, so i must use my time efficiently between studying-jobseeking-personal life. I expect them to teach me to efficiently using my job seeking time.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Kty89

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 05:07
kimtaeyeon89 wrote:
Hello Fermar84,

I am sorry if you're disappointed with your experience with career service team. I personally never ask such thing to them, thus i cannot comment much on that thing.
Regarding expectation, i do not rely on them to find a job for me. I expect them to teach me how to get a job in Germany. I am not familiar with German job market, and i believe it is very different from my own country. Moreover, the MBA workload is tough, so i must use my time efficiently between studying-jobseeking-personal life. I expect them to teach me to efficiently using my job seeking time.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Kty89

Hi kty89, thanks for your reply.

I agree totally with you, I don't expect them to get me a job. For me, the opinion of current students or alumni is a valuable factor when choosing an MBA because they can tell you some things that nobody else can tell you, specially regarding the job market, because as you say, they can teach you how to get a job in Germany but the real outcomes can only be told from students directly.

On the other hand, relations with alumni is key and they should know that not everybody is willing to simply talk with an aspiring student so they should have some kind of ambassadors, to put it in some way. I know that perhaps it is a marketing stuff but it is better than nothing at all.

I have been on contact with many schools and this is the first time that I get such a response, including other schools in Germany. I answered the email that they sent to me in response of the reception of my GMAT score, which I sent to them to show my interest (for what is worth).

Finally, I still consider that this is a top school in Germany, at least by its positions in the rankings. However I guess that it is a matter of fit and so far it doesnt fit with me.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Mannheim Thread Master
B
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GRE 1: 313 Q167 V146

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 13:16
fermar84 wrote:
kimtaeyeon89 wrote:
Hello Fermar84,

Hope this helps.
Best regards
Kty89

Hi kty89, thanks for your reply.

I agree totally with you, I don't expect them to get me a job. For me, the opinion of current students or alumni is a valuable factor when choosing an MBA because they can tell you some things that nobody else can tell you, specially regarding the job market, because as you say, they can teach you how to get a job in Germany but the real outcomes can only be told from students directly.

On the other hand, relations with alumni is key and they should know that not everybody is willing to simply talk with an aspiring student so they should have some kind of ambassadors, to put it in some way. I know that perhaps it is a marketing stuff but it is better than nothing at all.

I have been on contact with many schools and this is the first time that I get such a response, including other schools in Germany. I answered the email that they sent to me in response of the reception of my GMAT score, which I sent to them to show my interest (for what is worth).

Finally, I still consider that this is a top school in Germany, at least by its positions in the rankings. However I guess that it is a matter of fit and so far it doesnt fit with me.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hello again Fermar84,
Once again, i feel sorry for your condition, given how other business school treat you better in this case. I agree with you, that ambassadors to the school would be a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, there are no such thing in Mannheim Business School. I also had to research the alumni network myself (without asking them) before I apply and it would be nicer if they could provide aspiring students/alumni to some insight from insider. And regarding the marketing stuff, there are surely room for improvement in the business school itself.
Last but not least, in my opinion, they stood as best business school in Germany not only because it tops almost all rankings, but because they deserve it. But again, the most important thing is, if you think you are not fit to the school, it would be wise not to go ther.
I wish you all the success in your business school journey.

Best regards,
kty89
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Research (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 02:13
fermar84 wrote:
Hey guys, one question about this program. What do you think about it in terms of career services? I asked them to contact me with some alumni and their response was: search in linkedin. I think that this is the first time that I've received that kind of answer and if that is their willingness just to contact me with someone, what can you expect from their career services?

Let me know your thoughts,
FM

In Germany, most universities don't have a career services team at all. It's up to the student to apply for and get jobs. Although the Mannheim MBA does have a dedicated team who coach students through the application process, the Alumni network isn't really so strong.

Thus is partly due to the fact that Mannheim isn't well known in Germany for its MBA program but rather for its other German taught undergraduate business courses.
Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 05:08
fermar84:

Hi Folks, I hope you are working towards, you respective goals. FM, I should have messaged you earlier, but I was occupied with other stuff in parallel, and a few job interviews so could not reply earlier. Well, career services for each college functions differently. It is always best to try and reach out to Alums on your own, to get true perspective. That being said, doesn't imply that alums are going to provide always positive or indifferent feedbacks when they are referred by the ad-counsellors. I strongly believe, they urge you to hunt alums on your own and learn from them, to avoid bias-ness. It's like I will refer you only those alums, who for sure provide excellent feedbacks about the school/career services.

Your second query around leveraging career services:
In Germany (Europe), career services by schools work differently, and independently. Please do not compare them with how Indian B-schools at all. By independent function, I am implying that they can only provide you the information source, and perhaps list your CV in their on-going class CV-booklet (posted on the schools websites, in a few cases). These booklets are then circulated amongst the inner-circle contacts at a few brands that are close to the school. You can expect their help in drafting your resumes, but only in the form of dos and don't, alongside a rough template, etc. Overall, the onus lies on you, to go out in the market, build your network, and seize the opportunity.

Let me know if you have any specific queries, happy to deep-dive and unfold some of my experiences gathered from alum-talks in the past.

All the best,
Anubhav

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 05:18
Thank you guys, your insights are very valuable for me. Thanks for sharing.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant GMAT Club Forum
Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 05:25
kimtaeyeon89 JTdaniel roy26 fermar84:

Folks, this has been incredible going through the thread and understand the discussion topic. I haven't filled in my application for MBS yet, but I plan to submit by early 2018. At this juncture, if the curiosity is blowing your mind about leveraging career services from the school. Then, please hold on to your thoughts. The European schools culture is different than of ours. We can expect a little hand-holding, but they won't be fetching a job for you. I spoke with at least 4 alums, and realised they knew each other and words spread faster than I was setting up the meetings/calls with them. After getting on a call, and learnt - they already knew me and visited my Linkedin profile before our talks, two of them asked for a set of questions in black and white before the call so that they are prepared to talk about it - I believe that is an indication, the alum is strongly networked as well as talks about their preparedness. I am saying this again from personal experience, it may differ for each one you "Don't quote me on this"!

There's a lot of initiatives, you will be required take, juggling between your studies, perhaps a part time job, networking events, extra curricular, perhaps brushing up your language skills as well, manage a lot of distance travel for job interviews, the list is endless.

I would say, overall submit the application, wait for the results, and in the meantime try and connect with alums, probably also faculties, and learn from their experiences. For any queries, post it on this thread, and we all will help each other.

Thanks.

Wishing all the very best. Anubhav.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 23:30
AnubhavK wrote:

Folks, this has been incredible going through the thread and understand the discussion topic. I haven't filled in my application for MBS yet, but I plan to submit by early 2018. At this juncture, if the curiosity is blowing your mind about leveraging career services from the school. Then, please hold on to your thoughts. The European schools culture is different than of ours. We can expect a little hand-holding, but they won't be fetching a job for you. I spoke with at least 4 alums, and realised they knew each other and words spread faster than I was setting up the meetings/calls with them. After getting on a call, and learnt - they already knew me and visited my Linkedin profile before our talks, two of them asked for a set of questions in black and white before the call so that they are prepared to talk about it - I believe that is an indication, the alum is strongly networked as well as talks about their preparedness. I am saying this again from personal experience, it may differ for each one you "Don't quote me on this"!

There's a lot of initiatives, you will be required take, juggling between your studies, perhaps a part time job, networking events, extra curricular, perhaps brushing up your language skills as well, manage a lot of distance travel for job interviews, the list is endless.

I would say, overall submit the application, wait for the results, and in the meantime try and connect with alums, probably also faculties, and learn from their experiences. For any queries, post it on this thread, and we all will help each other.

Thanks.

Hi anubhav,

I must admit you are doing a great job managing this thread.
Kudos to you my friend.

I am pretty much at the early stage of my research and after briefly scouring through the school's website, I realized that Mannheim ask for a SOP from the applicants and there are NO other essays required for the application. I just wanted to confirm my understanding here. Is that all ?? or am I missing something here?

Also, I found that there are no student ambassadors or list of current students. How does one contact a current student? Is there a way?

Besides, I see there are NO student clubs as in consulting club or energy club. Or are there any ?? (I hope I haven't missed it on their website - that would be really embarrassing). what's the scene ...can you please throw some light on this.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

PS Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 06:34
mihir0710 wrote:
AnubhavK wrote:

Thanks.

Hi anubhav,

Kudos to you my friend.

I am pretty much at the early stage of my research and after briefly scouring through the school's website, I realized that Mannheim ask for a SOP from the applicants and there are NO other essays required for the application. I just wanted to confirm my understanding here. Is that all ?? or am I missing something here?

Also, I found that there are no student ambassadors or list of current students. How does one contact a current student? Is there a way?

Besides, I see there are NO student clubs as in consulting club or energy club. Or are there any ?? (I hope I haven't missed it on their website - that would be really embarrassing). what's the scene ...can you please throw some light on this.

Hi mihir0710

There is a 5 minute video presentation that you will be asked to submit after submitting your main application. you can get in touch with alumni or current students through linkedin. I connected with an existing student through linkedin and she was also asked to make a video presentation.
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 07:06
niks18 wrote:
mihir0710 wrote:
AnubhavK wrote:

Thanks.

Hi anubhav,

Kudos to you my friend.

Hi mihir0710

There is a 5 minute video presentation that you will be asked to submit after submitting your main application. you can get in touch with alumni or current students through linkedin. I connected with an existing student through linkedin and she was also asked to make a video presentation.

Hey buddy,

thanks for the response ...
I still have a couple of questions :
There are a couple of letters we need to submit :
1. Letter of motivation (professional and personal reasons for wanting to participate in the Mannheim MBA program; one page only)
2. In your opinion, what differentiates us from other programs?
I am confused on how I can write both without having a significant overlap. Can you enlighten me a bit on this?

Besides, what do they ask to include in the presentation?

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

PS Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 07:30
Quote:
Hey buddy,

thanks for the response ...
I still have a couple of questions :
There are a couple of letters we need to submit :
1. Letter of motivation (professional and personal reasons for wanting to participate in the Mannheim MBA program; one page only)
2. In your opinion, what differentiates us from other programs?
I am confused on how I can write both without having a significant overlap. Can you enlighten me a bit on this?

Besides, what do they ask to include in the presentation?

There is only one letter of motivation that needs to go along with application. the letter can contain many things - short term, long term goals, why MBA and any other story, etc. the second question is very specific and can be answered within 200 words. However there will be some overlap which I think should be fine with Ad com.

For video presentation you will receive a mail from Gaby and she will provide a guideline. In my case there were 4 points which she mentioned in the mail and I focused only on those 4 points and I am not sure whether these points are common for all the applicants or it varies from candidate to candidate. However you can be innovative here as per Gaby. Maximum length of the video should be 5 minutes.
Re: Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019!   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2017, 07:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 134 posts ] 

Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap