Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:35 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619496 [0]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: SDA Bocconi - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.21
WE:Analyst (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: NTU MBA Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Tushar,

GMAT is not the biggest part of your application, but yes given the context for NUS and NTU you may be on the average score for and Indian to apply and you work experience is also not in the higher end of the spectrum.

However, not sure if it may sound comforting, I was shortlisted for Nanyang interview with a GMAT of 700 (same as you).
If you are confident of improving your score you may give it a shot.
Otherwise, work hard on your essays and try to distinguish yourself from the pool in terms of your profile, essays, achievements and post MBA aspirations. That might work as well.

Overall, its hard to tell, as the GMAT scores are constantly on the rise for Indian students and NTU and NUS(specially) receiving a plethora of applications from India makes it worse.

I also mentor MBA aspirants as a passion to equip them to make a more informed decision. You may see the website link in my signature here.
Have a look if you get free time.

Happy to answer more questions here as well !

All the best for your MBA endeavor ! :)

Cheers !
Dhiraj

tushar1190 wrote:
Hi Dhiraj,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and give some insightful answers.

I am gunning for both Nanyang and NUS, as a matter of fact. Would you happen to know what the median GMAT is for the Indian pool of the applicants in these schools? For some reason, i think 700 is fairly borderline perhaps?

As for other achievements, yes I do have some from both the workplace and from my experiences as a musician and an organizer. Like some major concerts that i organised without any institutional support which would be a demonstration of leadership and also logistical and organisational acumen. The other achievements would be that my bands performed favorably in some contests as well.

dheeraj7890 wrote:
Hi Tushar,

First of all any reason of only targeting Nanyang Business school ?

Your profile seems decent for the school and with some small modifications and improvements you stand a decent chance.
GMAT yes, it plays a bigger role in schools in singapore (both NUS and NTU) as traditionally they know Indians have really high GMAT and one of my
friend few years back was actually asked this questions "why is your GMAT low, Indians usually have very high GMAT" (PS : he had 670 if I remember correctly)

You would be at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of WE and also GPA, hence you really need to dig out some other stuff in your profile. The band stuff and concerts is good and different. Social service, I am not sure to what extent and level you have done that.
Apart from that you would need to have some significant achievements at your work or other facets of life.
Do you have any significant achievements in other activities like music and stuff ?

Not clear about the impact of your internships, but please judge them based on result and implications.

CFA can be good add-on but currently you are just a candidate for it, so not sure if that would create any impact.

Applying in early rounds is always an advantage in any school ! so Round 1 would be better.

Again, Nanyang is traditionally a technology university and I think for Finance, its better to choose NUS if you are looking for Singapore as an option.
However, both the schools are really competitive as they get a huge number of applications from India.

Please let me know if you have more questions !

Cheers !
Dhiraj

tushar1190 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate it if someone could assess my profile and answer a few queries:-

Male
Age - 25
Nationality - Indian

I just took the GMAT for the first time on 7 - Oct - 2015 and scored 700 (Q-47 V-39)

My Acads are as follows:-

B-Tech - Electronics and Communications - Manipal Institute of Technology:- CGPA - 7.84/10
CBSE XII Grade - 88%
CBSE X Grade - 92%

My work experience is as follows, it will be 3 years by the time i start my MBA assuming i start it mid-next year

I am a Quality Engineer at a division of Standard and Poors (a financial services firm). However, my role is fairly differentiated from regular Quality Assurance Roles.

I have gained significant domain knowledge of the working of global capital markets, specifically the buy side. My projects have involved design critique, testing, results interpretation and maintenance of Portfolio Management Solutions.

I have also mentored people here. Also, our work culture entails working with very diverse individuals and cultures across the world and need good communication skills with strong emphasis on articulating information deferentially based on the kind of stakeholders who are its intended consumers. These stakeholders include everything from product team individuals, business analysts, developers and financial engineers.

Prior to this I had two internships:-

- One at a public sector firm designing a network centric solution for a radar system
- One at an automation and control firm designing and testing a control system

I am also a candidate in the Chartered financial Analyst (CFA) program - level 1 in december - and believe that this certification will compliment my MBA - finance.

My Co-curricular's include

- Bassist and co-founder of several bands
- independently organized several concerts - including setting memorandums of understanding with co-organizers, acquiring sponsors, funds and headlining and associated performers
- Voluntary services organisation - Social Service

My goal is to acquire some quality education and exposure by pursuing an MBA Finance. My current role keeps gives me quality exposure to the buy side aspect of the capital markets but limited exposure overall. Also, my job title and function does not entail a very client facing role, i believe that the MBA will help me accomplish both of these and much more.

On the basis of all these postulates, could someone please evaluate my profile and advise areas of improvement needed? Including if the GMAT Score is enough (do i need to retake) and what other areas could this profile be improved upon?

Also, i wanted to ask, how much of a difference is there in applying in round 1 and round 2? Are the chances of getting in different for these two?

Thanks in advance!
Re: NTU MBA Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Does the brand name of the company have any impact on the adcom ?
WE:3 yrs
Domain:Business Intelligence and Reporting.
Firm:J.P.Morgan Chase & Co.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello there !

Definitely the brand name of the company has some impact and it gives and impression to the adcom.
However, it also depends what kind of role you have had in that company and if that is aligned with your future aspirations and stuff.

Overall, a good brand name of the company which is globally known, like you have is always a plus.

Let me know if you have more questions !

Cheers !
Dhiraj

krutik123 wrote:
Does the brand name of the company have any impact on the adcom ?
WE:3 yrs
Domain:Business Intelligence and Reporting.
Firm:J.P.Morgan Chase & Co.
Thanks dheeraj !
I was a little worried as my work experience is less than the average.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Don't worry !
I had 3 years experience as well when I applied and received a call for the interview (if that is comforting :) )
Though our profiles would be completely different, just saying !

Cheers !
Dheeraj

krutik123 wrote:
Thanks dheeraj !
I was a little worried as my work experience is less than the average.
Yes ! that gives a lot of relief. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: NUS '17 NTU '17
GPA: 3.66
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi

I am planning to apply to NTU in R2.
My profile so far:
WE - 2.5, Would be 3 by the time I join any institute. Currently working in Deloitte USI
GPA - 5.25/6 OR 3.7/4 (WES Conversion)
GMAT - 690
Other activities - Recognized travel blogger on India, published in many magazines and news papers. Also have been published in 2 books. And co own a review start up site.
Community Service - Lead a CSR thread at my work place.

Just wanted to know if the profile seems strong enough for NTU.
Want to pursue a career in consulting or digital marketing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I'm planning to apply to B schools in Asia,and NTU is one of them.These are my details:

X-87%
XII-89%

BA Honours Economics from Delhi Univ with 68%-high first division

MSc Economics from London School of Economics

I have been working in the field of economic research and analysis in India,for the past 6 years.For the last 3.5 years,I have been employed with a leading London-based economic analysis firm in India as an economist.I also have managerial responsibility for a team of 5 junior analysts,which includes recruitment,training and conducting formal performance reviews.

I'm interested in working in Asia,and looking at these schools_
INSEAD Asia
HKU
NTU

My GMAT score is 640.My main aim is to work in Singapore/Hong Kong in Equity research/investment research.Is NTU a good option for a career in Finance?What about getting a job post-MBA?Is there an active careers service?

I shall be grateful for insights from current students/alumni.

Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
AtDelhi wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning to apply to B schools in Asia,and NTU is one of them.These are my details:

X-87%
XII-89%

BA Honours Economics from Delhi Univ with 68%-high first division

MSc Economics from London School of Economics

I have been working in the field of economic research and analysis in India,for the past 6 years.For the last 3.5 years,I have been employed with a leading London-based economic analysis firm in India as an economist.I also have managerial responsibility for a team of 5 junior analysts,which includes recruitment,training and conducting formal performance reviews.

I'm interested in working in Asia,and looking at these schools_
INSEAD Asia
HKU
NTU

My GMAT score is 640.My main aim is to work in Singapore/Hong Kong in Equity research/investment research.Is NTU a good option for a career in Finance?What about getting a job post-MBA?Is there an active careers service?

I shall be grateful for insights from current students/alumni.

Thanks!

Hi AtDelhi,

Quick opinion on your target schools:

While HKU and NTU are both possibilities, INSEAD may be a tough bet with a 640. Yet, the rest of your profile certainly seems competitive, so perhaps you would want to consider retaking GMAT and increasing your score by 60-70 points. That may also help with scholarships at HKU and NTU.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for this!

I'm in no mood to re-take the GMAT.I'll focus on my essays and recommendations.

My ultimate aim is to get a job in Singapore/Hong Kong.

How easy or difficult is it to get a job there after doing an MBA from these places?These are 1-year courses,hence,I understand it won't be easy securing a placement?

I shall be grateful if someone could please throw some light on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Female
Xth- 69%
XIIth - 85%
Undergrad- B.Tech. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from 'Park college of Engineering and Technology' affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
CGPA- 7.9/10
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 630 ( Q-46, V-31, AWA-3.5, IR-4)

Work Exp :
1. Worked for 4.2 years in Infosys. Progression from systems engineer to senior systems engineer.
- Handled several modules for US based client project, completed tasks as a sole person within tight deadlines and trained and mentored many new comers.
- Took many certifications within Infosys during the same timeline.
- Infosys Appreciation certificates and client appreciation certificate.

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of poor kids and other extra curricular activities at a local NGO.
2. Was a volunteer Animal Welfare NGO in the past for animal rescue.
3. Volunteer at Rotary club for education of kids and spreading awareness to them for maintenance of hygiene.

Extra Curricular:
1. Literary Captain of school for 2 years.
2. Certificate for presentation of research papers in National Level conference, Twice.

Do I have a chance at NTU ?

Many Thanks :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello,

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Female
Xth- 69%
XIIth - 85%
Undergrad- B.Tech. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from 'Park college of Engineering and Technology' affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
CGPA- 7.9/10
TOEFL- Yet to take

Work Exp :
1. Worked for 4.2 years in Infosys. Progression from systems engineer to senior systems engineer.
- Handled several modules for US based client project, completed tasks as a sole person within tight deadlines and trained and mentored many new comers.

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of poor kids and other extra curricular activities at a local NGO.
3. Volunteer at Rotary club for education of kids and spreading awareness to them for maintenance of hygiene.

Extra Curricular:
2. Certificate for presentation of research papers in National Level conference, Twice.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello,

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Female
Xth- 69%
XIIth - 85%
CGPA- 7.9/10
TOEFL- Yet to take

Work Exp :

Volunteer Experience :

Extra Curricular:

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
krutishah89 wrote:
Hello,

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Female
Xth- 69%
XIIth - 85%
CGPA- 7.9/10
TOEFL- Yet to take

Work Exp :

Volunteer Experience :

Extra Curricular:

If you are applying in Round 2, I'd recommend you retake the GMAT. 630 is less if you have an over represented profile (regular route IT work experience, not a top university).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

please evaluate my profile as well.

Indian/Female

Xth - 93%
XIIth - 92%

Graduation: B.Com(H) from LSR, 75%
GMAT - 710, probably planning to retake aiming at 730-740

Work experience - 2.5 years with Nestle first and then GroupM
Got promoted in 10 months at GroupM
Nominated for Choreos this year - GroupM excellence awards
Blue blazer at school for 3 consecutive years of academic excellence

Peer trainer and video marketing expert at work
College - Member of Placement Cell, Marketing head for LSR’s annual cultural festival Tarang and also for LSR’s annual commerce festival Comquest
Volunteer at Village Cottage homes through NSS LSR

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
arwaldhar wrote:
Hi,

please evaluate my profile as well.

Indian/Female

Xth - 93%
XIIth - 92%

Graduation: B.Com(H) from LSR, 75%
GMAT - 710, probably planning to retake aiming at 730-740

Work experience - 2.5 years with Nestle first and then GroupM
Got promoted in 10 months at GroupM
Nominated for Choreos this year - GroupM excellence awards
Blue blazer at school for 3 consecutive years of academic excellence

Peer trainer and video marketing expert at work
College - Member of Placement Cell, Marketing head for LSR’s annual cultural festival Tarang and also for LSR’s annual commerce festival Comquest
Volunteer at Village Cottage homes through NSS LSR

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Hi,

pYour work experience is quite low as compared to the class average of 6 years. You will need to have strong reasons for why you want an MBA now and how you can contribute to the
class
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi Guys

Indian Male Engineer
12th: 78.6
BE from Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh 6.95/10
GMAT 700.
Work Ex: 4.5 Yrs
Started my career in teaching and training.
Held many roles apart from a faculty like Academic Head, Business Head, Product Head.
Currently an Entrepreneur with one of the franchised centre of a reputed Coaching Institute in India.

Long-Term Goal of starting my own Ed Tech Firm.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Retired Moderator
335 posts