Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618736 [1]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GRE 1: Q164 V170
GPA: 3
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [3]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Thanks, bb, for your warm welcome, insight, and for creating this forum!

I think that I did a decent job of answering the "Why MBA?" question, but your suggestion to be more intentional in outlining a plan is a good one. I could have done a better job at this (and will try to, should I have to reapply next cycle)

A few other questions, if you or anyone else would like to have a swing at them:

1) I'm guessing that the answer to this question is "no," but I went into the GRE without any studying save for three practice tests on the three days leading up to the exam. On each of these attempts, I scored between a 167 and 170 on both sections. I was somewhat disappointed in my actual Quant score (165) -- would the chance for a 167 or 168 warrant a retake, even if my verbal falls a point or two? I would study a bit leading up to the retake. I'm guessing that the difference is negligible, and that my $250+ would be better spent elsewhere, but just checking.

2) Correct me if I'm wrong: Round 1 is the best round in which to apply because it shows dedication to a given school. I have heard, on the contrary, that the strongest applicants tend to apply in R1 and that the bar is set higher as a result in R1 versus R2. Is R1 still the way to go, though? Yale SOM is my first choice and I want them to know it.

3) One of the reasons why I wish to attend SOM is because of its loan repayment program. Is this a liability to my application, though, as I might be an "expensive" student to enroll?

Thanks so much. And also, bb, thanks for your kind words regarding the teaching profession. Teachers rule! :-)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [3]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
edgeook8 wrote:
Thanks, bb, for your warm welcome, insight, and for creating this forum!

I think that I did a decent job of answering the "Why MBA?" question, but your suggestion to be more intentional in outlining a plan is a good one. I could have done a better job at this (and will try to, should I have to reapply next cycle)

A few other questions, if you or anyone else would like to have a swing at them:

1) I'm guessing that the answer to this question is "no," but I went into the GRE without any studying save for three practice tests on the three days leading up to the exam. On each of these attempts, I scored between a 167 and 170 on both sections. I was somewhat disappointed in my actual Quant score (165) -- would the chance for a 167 or 168 warrant a retake, even if my verbal falls a point or two? I would study a bit leading up to the retake. I'm guessing that the difference is negligible, and that my $250+ would be better spent elsewhere, but just checking.

2) Correct me if I'm wrong: Round 1 is the best round in which to apply because it shows dedication to a given school. I have heard, on the contrary, that the strongest applicants tend to apply in R1 and that the bar is set higher as a result in R1 versus R2. Is R1 still the way to go, though? Yale SOM is my first choice and I want them to know it.

3) One of the reasons why I wish to attend SOM is because of its loan repayment program. Is this a liability to my application, though, as I might be an "expensive" student to enroll?

Thanks so much. And also, bb, thanks for your kind words regarding the teaching profession. Teachers rule! :-)

In terms of retaking the GRE, it is funny because, I felt somewhat similarly to you - I thought I could definitely score better if I went and retook. I never did since it was the 99th percentile. It sounds like you have the 99th percentile too, so I don't recommend it or see a point to it. What is more valuable, usually is your time rather than the $250 or $180 or whatever the GRE fee is. You have only so much time to work on your applications and to also work on your essays, coordinate recommenders, polish the resume, talk to current students or alums, etc. I highly recommend connecting with a few people at Yale if you have not done it yet.

In Terms of the best Round to apply, pages and books have been written about it. If you search on GMAT Club "Which Round" or "R1 vs. R2", you will find lists of posts and reposts of ideas, strategies, and why's. What they usually come down to is you want to apply in either R1 or R2 but R1 is usually better because you have a chance to apply to more schools in R2. The only reason to not apply in R1 is if your apps are half-baked, which should not be the case here. Basically you want to have a few schools you apply in R1 and a few in R2. Most do no more than 1 school per month, so 3 at most for R1 and 3 at most for R2. Some go a bit overboard to hedge their bets in R2. Don't apply to a program you are not willing to attend.

I had the same thought/question about the loan repayment program but I don't think it is exact science and I don't think you are perceived as a liability. It is often a question about international applicants who may not be strong enough to pay the tuition and the choice is to admit them with a scholarship or to deny them since in case of admission without a scholarship, they are likely to decline the offer, hurting a school's yield rate, which in turn affects rankings. I don't think that's the case here at all but you should apply to other programs as well - you have a good and interesting profile.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
bb -- such great info! Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 284
Send PM
Hi there,

Re-applying this year R1 - Received an interview R2 last year but did not get on the waitlist. I'm a bit wary of posting my background here, but if someone could kindly PM and discuss my profile further, that'd be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Rotman '21
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Hey,

So
GMAT : 710
GPA : 3.0 (Graduate in Commerce)
I am a Chartered Accountant & a CFA Charterholder
Experience
3 Years Internship in a top international audit firm (Audit)
3 Years Experience in a top US Investment bank (Product Controller for Structured Products)
Currently employed with a top US bank (Treasury Risk - Structural Interest Rate Risk Management)

I am planning to apply for 2021, by the time will have 2 years experience in my current role

Extra Curricular :
NGO Activities
1 Year in a Rotaract Club
Currently part of an NGO that engages in Education for the underprivileged kids (working as a teacher & Center head)

Can someone give me an evaluation and whether I should do something more to better my profile.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bookmarks
24 yr / Inidan/ Female

UG: 60% - Electronics and Comm engineering

WE: Co-founder and President of NGO for the past 3 yrs
Under my leadership
-Organised national level training program by the Govt of India for two consecutive years,120+ participants from the country participated
-conducted various awareness programs in schools and college, including inter schools competitions
-established first and only rescue and rehab center in the north karnataka region
-successfully working in collaboration with district administration, municipal authority and police dept
and a bunch of other events organised. Literally, built the org from scratch.

Honorary Officer by Govt of India

GMAT: yet to give - aiming for 720+

Extra-curricular:
- actively participated/-ing in Clean India Mission-Ballari - wall painiting, awareness talks, suggesting innovative steps to tackle problems in association with district administration
- have organised free english classes for slum children around our centre
- sewing - does it sound out of context? i love to sew, though i never learnt it formally, have designed & stitched a lot for myself

Post MBA goals:
Short Term:
- open the first self sustainable world class charity hospital for stray animals in our district
- work on bringing CSR funds into animal welfare
- Help other NGOs with required resources to scale up

Long term:
- Expand the charity hospital
- Fund and facilitate research on alternative meat
- work on CSR initiatives

Background for my background:
i have always been an animal lover since childhood, and always had a dream to have a big property filled with animals, well fed and well taken care of. I always thought that it was something to be done when i was 50+. Back then, i never new what the word "NGO" meant or never visited one or heard one. A very tragic incident when i was 19 yrs old, made me realize it was now, that i need to start one, and i did, from scratch.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hi
I am a female with a Liberal Arts background. I will be applying to B schools in US this year for a two year MBA program. I am looking for a profile evaluation. My plan is to specialize in Operations/Supply Chain/Entrepreneurship. Please evaluate my profile.

GMAT: 600 (39Q/36V) (This score is solely based on little prep via MBALaunch program. I am in a Manhattan Prep course now to get a much higher score)
GPA: 3.06
Degree: BA- Gender & Women Studies & African American Studies
Experience: 6 years total; 3 in Non Profit where I have received a promotion and created a new department (that is excelling and growing)
Extracurricular:
Board member (young professional) for the YWCA (also Social Chair).
Implementing a Young Professional board currently at my Non Profit.
Humanities and Arts Chair for Continental Societies, Inc (non profit org that focuses on children).

Please evaluate my profile and what should be my target score for GMAT be.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Thewmarie wrote:
Hi
I am a female with a Liberal Arts background. I will be applying to B schools in US this year for a two year MBA program. I am looking for a profile evaluation. My plan is to specialize in Operations/Supply Chain/Entrepreneurship. Please evaluate my profile.

GMAT: 600 (39Q/36V) (This score is solely based on little prep via MBALaunch program. I am in a Manhattan Prep course now to get a much higher score)
GPA: 3.06
Degree: BA- Gender & Women Studies & African American Studies
Experience: 6 years total; 3 in Non Profit where I have received a promotion and created a new department (that is excelling and growing)
Extracurricular:
Board member (young professional) for the YWCA (also Social Chair).
Implementing a Young Professional board currently at my Non Profit.
Humanities and Arts Chair for Continental Societies, Inc (non profit org that focuses on children).

Please evaluate my profile and what should be my target score for GMAT be.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

For schools you are applying for, you should target at least a 700 on your GMAT. Outside of the GMAT, I would recommend that you focus on answering the questions why MBA? Why this school? When you answer those questions, think less about what why the school is perfect for you, but why you are perfect for the school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
-Deleting because I updated this post later on -

Originally posted by cubsfan10 on 02 Sep 2017, 17:31.
Last edited by cubsfan10 on 15 Oct 2017, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills

Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rahul30 wrote:
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)
certainly a strong GMAT!
Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.Sometimes the work can be too much of a good thing- with 9 yrs, you will need to be very clear in short essay in application about what you want from Yale to help you acheive your goals. Since you have worked a long time, you will be held to a bit of a higher standard in knowing what you are seeking from MBA
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills

When you explain these, focus on your results and how you mobilized a team to achieve goals
Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

[color=#2e3192]Be clear about why Yale. In your biggest commitment essay, you have to cover a lot of ground in just 500 words. Although you do have some extra room in short answers to address why Yale. For the main essay, here are some tips to keep in mind: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... -yale-som/
And Stratus can give you more tailored advice about your situation in a free consult if you want to reach out at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
IshpalSingh wrote:
Hey,

So
GMAT : 710
GPA : 3.0 (Graduate in Commerce)
I am a Chartered Accountant & a CFA Charterholder
Experience
3 Years Internship in a top international audit firm (Audit)
3 Years Experience in a top US Investment bank (Product Controller for Structured Products)
Currently employed with a top US bank (Treasury Risk - Structural Interest Rate Risk Management)

I am planning to apply for 2021, by the time will have 2 years experience in my current role

Extra Curricular :
NGO Activities
1 Year in a Rotaract Club
Currently part of an NGO that engages in Education for the underprivileged kids (working as a teacher & Center head)

Can someone give me an evaluation and whether I should do something more to better my profile.
Your GMAT score could be even stronger. But the good news is you have time to work on this. One of the most helpful things you could do at this point is use a service like ours called Early Advantage. Essentially what we do is work with you for about 5 hours over the year or two prior to applying to B school. We do an audit of how your profile looks in terms of what adcom thinks (and we have former adcom people like me doing this) and we help you set up a plan to address any weaknesses prior to applying so that when you do apply- you are truly ready. To do that program,
go to this link to set up a free consult to learn more: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/ and then I would also direct you to read a recent article we wrote about what Indian candidates can do to stand out in leadership: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... p-profile/ and also 5 tips for you to research a school from afar: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ram-india/

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
nikithaiyer5 wrote:
24 yr / Inidan/ Female

Under my leadership
-Organised national level training program by the Govt of India for two consecutive years,120+ participants from the country participated
-conducted various awareness programs in schools and college, including inter schools competitions
-established first and only rescue and rehab center in the north karnataka region
-successfully working in collaboration with district administration, municipal authority and police dept

Extra-curricular:
- actively participated/-ing in Clean India Mission-Ballari - wall painiting, awareness talks, suggesting innovative steps to tackle problems in association with district administration
- sewing - does it sound out of context? i love to sew, though i never learnt it formally, have designed & stitched a lot for myself

Post MBA goals:
Short Term:
- open the first self sustainable world class charity hospital for stray animals in our district

Long term:

i have always been an animal lover since childhood, and always had a dream to have a big property filled with animals, well fed and well taken care of. I always thought that it was something to be done when i was 50+. Back then, i never new what the word "NGO" meant or never visited one or heard one. A very tragic incident when i was 19 yrs old, made me realize it was now, that i need to start one, and i did, from scratch.

A profile evaluation for this please!!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nikithaiyer5! Overall you have a really strong profile. And one that is definitely in line with the type of student that Yale seeks. Your work experience, leadership, passion for helping others, and the exposure you've gained to different sectors like governments and schools are all very impressive. Yale's "commitment essay" should be a great opportunity for you to showcase your dedication to your NGO.

The only challenges I see are: your GPA is not strong, so a high (720+) GMAT is really important. No pressure :-) Also, your post-MBA goals are admirable but pretty non-traditional...so make sure you can clearly articulate why you need an MBA, and what steps you will take to make that dream a reality.

Best of luck!
Kate

nikithaiyer5 wrote:
nikithaiyer5 wrote:
24 yr / Inidan/ Female

Under my leadership

Extra-curricular:

Post MBA goals:
Short Term:

Long term:

A profile evaluation for this please!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi, I am a Pakistani female, age 25

GMAT: 760 Q 48, V 47 AWA 5.5
GPA:3.8 Economics & Mathematics – appearing for CFA Level 1
Exp: 3 years working for one of the largest conglomerates in the country in Strategy & Business growth, have worked on merger deals, greenfield investment analysis, capital budgeting, turnaround projects.

Internship at leading global FMCG.

ECA:
Started a not-for-profit tech startup benefiting 5000 people to date with a team of 60 people - currently Vice President of the startup. 5+ years of public speaking in national circuit.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi talz94 --

Overall, very impressive! Excellent GMAT and GPA stats. Your work sounds very high impact and like you've gained wide exposure. I assume you will have some good examples of leadership -- even if not leading teams, leading negotiations or projects, or new investment ideas, etc.

Your ECA experience will definitely set you apart. Again, impressive! And might make for an interesting "Commitment" essay topic given your long tenure with the organization.

Have you figured out your post-MBA goals? That will be an important part of your "story" so make sure you have clear, specific goals that you can articulate.

Otherwise, your profile definitely seems competitive for Yale.

Best of luck!
Kate

talz94 wrote:
Hi, I am a Pakistani female, age 25

GMAT: 760 Q 48, V 47 AWA 5.5
GPA:3.8 Economics & Mathematics – appearing for CFA Level 1
Exp: 3 years working for one of the largest conglomerates in the country in Strategy & Business growth, have worked on merger deals, greenfield investment analysis, capital budgeting, turnaround projects.

Internship at leading global FMCG.

ECA:
Started a not-for-profit tech startup benefiting 5000 people to date with a team of 60 people - currently Vice President of the startup. 5+ years of public speaking in national circuit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for your reply Kate. I definitely have mt post-MBA goals in mind, just need to refine them further.

Thanks for your feedback! :-)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Yale and Darden Moderator
74 posts