It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 15:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored only 650 But Have Something New to Share

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 7

Scored only 650 But Have Something New to Share [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
Today, i scored 650 (Q-48, V-31) on actual GMAT.

I chose Quant-Verbal-IR-Essay section order. The first Quant question bombarded at me was super tough and i had no choice but to guess on that. What i had heard is that GMAT start with medium difficulty question. But see, don't believe what you hear. Throughout, i found quant at GMAT tougher than that at GMAT Prep software. Was it because i chose Quant first? Please note i am strong in Quant as you can see from my scores in GMAT Prep.

In the verbal, SC was altogether new. Nothing what i have seen in Manhattan Guide or Official guides came in either GMAT exam or GMAT Prep exams. Although i have all the rules of Manhattan guide on my fingertips, i found out that there wasn't any rule i have learned so far which i could apply. And this was true for most of SC questions.

In quant as well as in RC, SC & CR, questions on actual GMAT was tougher than Official Guides. Questions on actual GMAT are not even similar to what you study from any OG or any other GMAT Prep company material. I think that GMAT test makers go through all the material in the market to make the GMAT questions unique.

A word of caution for people studying from OG: OG consists mostly 500 level questions. 700 level questions are very limited.

Also, i don't understand why they give laminated sheets and markers in the test. I found a lot of problem with markers. I changed 6-8 markers but still markers were not working. You have to close them when not in use. They dry up when kept open. But it takes time and effort to open and close them 90 times on 90 questions of GMAT (Q=37, V=41, IR=12). Simple pen and papers will make the life of GMAT takers much easier. Other test takers, please share your experience.

Many may not know that in the GMAT nothing is allowed during test including wallet, hankey, mobile, pen, paper etc. However, you are given locker to store these.

In GMAT exam, i had to guess on 5 verbal questions because of shortage of time. I faced similar issues with verbal timing during all the mock tests. GMAT Experts and other test takers please tell is this a common problem and how to get rid of timing issue in Verbal?

In the Mock tests, my score were
GMAT Prep 1 = 640 (Q-49, V-28)
GMAT Prep 2 = 690 (Q-49, V-34)
Veritas = 630
Manhattan Prep = 600

I had studied thoroughly from the following material:
SC - Manhattan, SC Grail, OG13, OG-Verbal
RC - Manhattan, OG13, OG-Verbal
CR - Manhattan, Powercore CR Bible, OG13, OG-Verbal
Quant - Manhattan, OG13

Even after so much of study, i could manage only 650. I don't think additional study can improve my score. Also, i feel verbal timing will take much longer to improve, maybe 1 year through intensive reading. GMAT experts, please tell if i am correct.

Here, you find everybody scoring 700+. So don't commit the mistake of believing you can also score 700+ easily. 700+ takes a lot of work.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 592 [1], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored only 650 But Have Something New to Share [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 21:56
This post received
KUDOS
I'm no expert, but it would be easier to dissect your problem,
and understand what is causing the problem in the first place(SC/CR or RC)

If it is SC or CR which is causing this problem, you can revisit the rules,
do some specific practice and get over the timing problem.
As for RC, use the the available strategies(developed by the various prep companies)
and figure out which of those strategies work for you!

This is an article which should help you
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

Hope that helps!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 592 [1], given: 16

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 267

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 23:06
This post received
KUDOS
If it was your first attempt, 650 is really good.
But the way you mentioned that quant was very tough than the GMAT Prep and SC was new, I am wondering has GMAC raised the difficulty level of its questions after the changes in the exam?

What do you say experts?

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 267

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 07:35
I scored a 650 on my first attempt as well. I wrote it recently. And, I too felt that the questions in quants were difficult. It was definitely nothing like the OG. I am thinking of retaking the GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 08:04
I also found the actual quant questions much tougher than the OG questions or the GMAT prep questions.

Maybe its exam day pressure?

Kudos if you like my response please

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 18

sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 08:55
Hi Kashifraza,

You can improve your verbal score considerably.
As you studied a lot, you might have learnt most of the concepts but how to apply those concepts is a different matter.

Practice more and more so that you can learn how to apply concepts.

Specially try to learn patterns which GMAT tries to test .

Thanks
71 tough IR questions218-ds-questions-for-practice
awa-ppt-the-best-resource-for-gmat
new-critical-reasoning-super-megathread-updated

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 418

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 13:21
Hello

I had the same Problem Yesterday, Sept 9, 2017. The first quant question was one that i never seen. I scored 660, Q 42 V 39. I know that my quant ability is 48 - 49- 50. However, the first question really stressed me out, spent six minutes to figure out the question and still wasn't able too. After that, the panic took me over and I lost my concentration.
You though could keep your feet tight and got your 48 but unfortunately, i couldn't.
Any suggestion:
Do you think that this is one of those new tricks that GMAT offers from her sleeve to off guard the test takers?

Manager
Manager
G

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 13:26
Shiv2016 wrote:
If it was your first attempt, 650 is really good.
But the way you mentioned that quant was very tough than the GMAT Prep and SC was new, I am wondering has GMAC raised the difficulty level of its questions after the changes in the exam?

What do you say experts?

I had the same experience. The Quant Qs were way way off the concepts asked in OG while Verbal Qs were ok.

It means i have to take the exam again. I really thought i would be done with the exam with my third try?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 14:00
I have a feeling people feel like real exams are more difficult because there is more at stake. Missing a question on a practice test is easier to shrug off.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 38

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 14:05
I have given the exam twice in the last 4 months scored a q50v27 640 and a q49v40 720. The quant level of the actual exam is exactly similar to the gmat prep exams. I would say you all started with quant maybe you all were nervous and take some time to get in the groove. Also the og has very few hard math questions. The og is great for verbal but is bad for quants. Also scoring a point below your mocks in math isn't bad. Any further questions message me. The math and the verbal are exactly the same level as gmatprep. It is the anxiety that causes the problem

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 38

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 130 [1], given: 105

Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
Heseraj wrote:
Hello

I had the same Problem Yesterday, Sept 9, 2017. The first quant question was one that i never seen. I scored 660, Q 42 V 39. I know that my quant ability is 48 - 49- 50. However, the first question really stressed me out, spent six minutes to figure out the question and still wasn't able too. After that, the panic took me over and I lost my concentration.
You though could keep your feet tight and got your 48 but unfortunately, i couldn't.
Any suggestion:
Do you think that this is one of those new tricks that GMAT offers from her sleeve to off guard the test takers?

I have always found the Quant section on the actual gmat to be way easier than the GMATClub tests... and scored Q48-Q47. I think you might be overthinking the questions...

Same issue with verbal, the questions aren't tougher there is just a lot of time pressure. In practice we generaly take 2-3 minutes to solve questions but we don't realize we're taking so much time. I improved from 350-700 in 6 months period so its definitely doable.

Winners dont make excuses.

350--> 700

https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-q47-v39-ir-7-awa-246682.html

Kudos [?]: 130 [1], given: 105

Re: Scored only 650 But Have Something New to Share   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2017, 20:07

Scored only 650 But Have Something New to Share

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap