Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,
I am an Indian male engineer currently working as Telecom engineer at global telecom giant.
Academics: Btech(9.2 out of 10 CGPA) from a top engineer college
Total work experience: 5.5 years
International exposure: Yes
GMAT: 720/800
Is it safe to apply with this profile?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi
I am an Indian female with an engineering background. I will be applying to B schools in US this year for a two year MBA program. I am looking for a profile evaluation so that I can find the best fit and shortlist schools that I have a chance of getting into. I hope to specialize in Operations/Supply Chain/Consulting. Please evaluate my profile for Darden.

GMAT: 720 (49Q/40V)
GPA: 3.63 (9.08/10)
Degree: B.Tech(Information Technology) from VIT University,Vellore
Experience: 2 years in an IT firm as a software developer ( 3 years till I join)
Extracurricular: I have some experience working as a volunteer for various events in college , serving as an NSS volunteer, etc. But I don't have any experience in leadership/managerial roles. Some experience in managing office events and display of good leadership qualities within the team.

Please evaluate my profile so I know if I should try for Virginia Univ or there is no chance of getting an admit at all ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
It seems like your gmat is in range so you should certainly give it a shot, do you have any leadership experience from your volunteer work? Or, did you develop leadership skills or take on leadership duties even though you didn't have the title?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
SCrimson wrote:
Hi
I am an Indian female with an engineering background. I will be applying to B schools in US this year for a two year MBA program. I am looking for a profile evaluation so that I can find the best fit and shortlist schools that I have a chance of getting into. I hope to specialize in Operations/Supply Chain/Consulting. Please evaluate my profile for Darden.

GMAT: 720 (49Q/40V)
GPA: 3.63 (9.08/10)
Degree: B.Tech(Information Technology) from VIT University,Vellore
Experience: 2 years in an IT firm as a software developer ( 3 years till I join)
Extracurricular: I have some experience working as a volunteer for various events in college , serving as an NSS volunteer, etc. But I don't have any experience in leadership/managerial roles. Some experience in managing office events and display of good leadership qualities within the team.

Please evaluate my profile so I know if I should try for Virginia Univ or there is no chance of getting an admit at all ?

Hi Crimson,

The game is played a little differently for the Indian IT applicants- they are the most competitive lot among all applicants to any business school. Your GMAT score of 720 will fall short of the average Indian GMAT scores, which tend to be higher from the class average.

On the work front, I would look out for your leadership potential and the impact you have already created. What have you achieved at work? Have you led a team/ mentored people/ taken informal lead in projects? You will also need to crystallize your career goals - operations, supply chain and consulting are three different fields, that present different career graphs. What exactly do you want to do and why?

I wouldn't mind you waiting another year and building your profile before you apply to top b-schools like Darden. Else, you should widen your b-school selection and include some lower ranked b-schools where you have a reasonable shot of getting in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Nationality: East Asian (US Citizen)
GMAT: Currently getting 700 on practice tests, shooting for 720-730.

WE: 1 Yr Operations Analyst at a Bulging Bracket Bank

2 Yrs(by matriculation) at a Renewable Energy company as a Business Analyst in their Operations & Analytics Team. Created presentations and reports for top level executives including CEO and was involved in projects that increased revenue and produced significant cost savings for the company.

Volunteer Experience
3 Years Teaching English classes to older immigrants (mostly parents of American born children like me).
Youth Leader 1 Year
Raised money to help stop children trafficking for 9 Months. (Personally raised around 10k)

Undergrad

Student Government Vice President - 1 Year
Career Center Consultant 1 Year - reviewed resumes and did mock interviews for students.

MBA Plans: Short Term - MBB Consulting, Long Term - go back to a Renewable Energy company as an exec or start my own company.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
ColonelRowan89 wrote:
Nationality: East Asian (US Citizen)
GMAT: Currently getting 700 on practice tests, shooting for 720-730.

WE: 1 Yr Operations Analyst at a Bulging Bracket Bank

2 Yrs(by matriculation) at a Renewable Energy company as a Business Analyst in their Operations & Analytics Team. Created presentations and reports for top level executives including CEO and was involved in projects that increased revenue and produced significant cost savings for the company.

Volunteer Experience
3 Years Teaching English classes to older immigrants (mostly parents of American born children like me).
Youth Leader 1 Year
Raised money to help stop children trafficking for 9 Months. (Personally raised around 10k)

Undergrad

Student Government Vice President - 1 Year
Career Center Consultant 1 Year - reviewed resumes and did mock interviews for students.

MBA Plans: Short Term - MBB Consulting, Long Term - go back to a Renewable Energy company as an exec or start my own company.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey ColonelRowan89, thanks for posting.
You might get a more holistic view of your chances for all the schools you're considering (based on your posts: Darden, Yale, Tuck, Fuqua, INSEAD) if you post in the Peer Review forum. List out all the schools you're considering and see where other GC-ers think you'd be a solid fit.

Peer Review: peer-review-130/

PM me when you're over there - I'll even post my 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi there,

You have good test scores and decent experience. However, 2yrs of work ex. (even 3 by time you join) is less than average. To compensate for the same, you will need to impress the adcom with the quality of your experiences and perspectives. If you don't have typical leadership/ managerial experiences, you will have to find other unique aspects in your background that will help you stand out. I have helped several Indian women applicants in this regard.

I'd be happy to give you more specific insights about your profile. Kindly sign up for Free Consultation and get in touch with me.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I am an Indian applicant aiming for R2. Though Darden was not on my list list of schools, I had an immidiete connection with the school during their event / reception.

Here is a quick outline of my application:

• I have a 710 on GMAT (V48, 40)
  • UG in Business Administration (yes, not engineering) - GPA ~3.4 (on a 4 pt scale)
  • 5.5+ years of consulting / advisory experience (1.5 with a big 4) - my CV is really on point and I consider my work-ex very strong. I have significant experience leading teams of 2 - 15+ members.
  • Decent list of activities outside high school / UG / work

The only stumbling block seems to be the GMAT which is on the lower side (esp for an Indian candidate) and I am wondering whether the time effort / application fee is worth trying at Darden?

Would appreciate any and all inputs on this.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.79
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
gmat7m wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am an Indian applicant aiming for R2. Though Darden was not on my list list of schools(No passion, don't apply), I had an immidiete connection with the school during their event / reception.

• I have a 710 on GMAT (V48, 40) (not impressive for indian, too weak and too difficult to stand out from candidates from consulting industry.)
  • UG in Business Administration (yes, not engineering) - GPA ~3.4 (on a 4 pt scale)
  • 5.5+ years of consulting / advisory experience (1.5 with a big 4) - my CV is really on point and I consider my work-ex very strong. I have significant experience leading teams of 2 - 15+ members. (strong consulting background made your GMAT score even less competitive)

The only stumbling block seems to be the GMAT which is on the lower side (esp for an Indian candidate) and I am wondering whether the time effort / application fee is worth trying at Darden?

You need to stand out from industry pool first in order to get an opportunity to get interviewed. There are 2 ways:
1. GMAT above 760
2. Writing a really really outstanding essay that made AO cannot wait to see you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Schools: Ross '19 (M$)
Send PM
gmat7m wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am an Indian applicant aiming for R2. Though Darden was not on my list list of schools, I had an immidiete connection with the school during their event / reception.

• I have a 710 on GMAT (V48, 40)
  • 5.5+ years of consulting / advisory experience (1.5 with a big 4) - my CV is really on point and I consider my work-ex very strong. I have significant experience leading teams of 2 - 15+ members.

Darden is a similar ranked school to Duke & Johnson - were you declined without interview for both? If so then I can't say your chances at Darden will be great without changing something (essays/recommendations/GMAT).
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM

Originally posted by ron92 on 08 Dec 2016, 08:04.
Last edited by ron92 on 23 Jan 2017, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sagarkalra92 wrote:
Hi All

I am planning to apply to Darden in R2 and would love if some one could evaluate my profile and help me put the best foot forward during my application.

Please find below the details of my work experience.

GMAT-710( Q49, V37, IR5, AWA-5)

WORK EXPERIENCE:

RLARD ENGITECH PVT.LTD (Start-up) (August 2016-Present)
Head-Sales & Marketing

•Implemented ideas to expand the customer base and helped in streamlining the online product channel.
•Hosted workshops to spread awareness about the product.

AXIS RISK CONSULTING PVT.LTD. (March 2015-July 2016)
Associate Consultant

•Member of IC COE team for Mondelez International- designed the RCM and monitored the risk and control framework of North America and Bratislava Region.
•Member of Internal Audit Team for Dabur International- Independently reviewed -Sales, Logistics, Production and Payroll processes- highlighted process loopholes and provided recommendations to the top management
•Lead the GE India Dresser site and ensured ICFR compliance
•Independently handled the ANZ region for GlaxoSmithKline and ensured appropriate documentation, adequate testing and accurate reporting on financial control activities

SKYTEX INDUSTRIES PVT.LTD. (December 2014-March 2015)
Associate Director

•Oversaw Sales and Marketing for company products
•Provided valuable inputs to minimize production costs and to ensure optimum utilization of resources
•Streamlined the distributor channel to maximize profits.

AXIS RISK CONSULTING PVT.LTD. (July 2013- November 2014)
Senior Analyst

•Independently lead the Beverage Division (North-East Region) and Stales Process (North Region), which included over 100 audits per months, for PepsiCo India and trained over 50 CA Firms
•Received Gold Team Appreciation Award for contribution to Claim Management Project for PepisCo India.
•Regularly inspected Distributor sites of PepsiCo India across the Northern Region of India
•Managed Store Inventory for Vishal Mega Mart which resulted in optimization of the STR (stock transfer ratio) throughout India, reducing the client’s annual inventory management cost by INR 30 Cr.

INTERNSHIPS:

•Finance Intern at Indian Oil Corporation Limited - June 2012 to August 2012
•Marketing Intern at Viacom 18 - January 2012 to February 2012

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:

2010-2013
Delhi University
Hansraj College (B.A. Eco (H))
75.7%

C.B.S.E (XII)
D.P.S, Mathura Road, New Delhi
94%

C.B.S.E (X )
90.33%

EXTRACURRICULAR INTERESTS, ACTIVITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS:

•Member, Axis’ Fun@ Work Team - organised Fresher’s training, day outs and sports competitions (2014-2016)
•Participated in Axis’ CSR Initiatives (2013-2015) - plantation drive, blood donation drive etc.
•All India Crime Reform Organisation (2011-present) -worked with Delhi Police to reduce the crime rate in locality, made people aware about their rights and civic responsibilities.
•Member, Axis Recruitment Team 2014 – helped in recruitment process and took 1st Round of interviews accompanied by Senior Managers in Delhi University Colleges- SRCC, Hansraj, SSCBS
•Volunteer, AISEC UDAAN 2011- held cultural workshops and various competitions for underprivileged children.
•Dance Society, Hansraj College - represented college at college festivals - BITS OASIS 2010, Rendezvous 2010
•Event Management, Dance, Basketball and meeting new people

Your profile looks promising but maybe slightly borderline for Darden just due to you being Indian, with all that entails. I would therefore say that your chances depend highly on essays and recommendations as well. How do you think you stand there?

If you are not sure and/or think that might not be your strong suit, I would recommend professional help with that part because the potential is definitely there with this profile but I would not call it a sure thing by any means.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.06
Send PM
Sagarkalra92 wrote:
Hi All

I am planning to apply to Darden in R2 and would love if some one could evaluate my profile and help me put the best foot forward during my application.

Please find below the details of my work experience.

GMAT-710( Q49, V37, IR5, AWA-5)

WORK EXPERIENCE:

RLARD ENGITECH PVT.LTD (Start-up) (August 2016-Present)
Head-Sales & Marketing

•Implemented ideas to expand the customer base and helped in streamlining the online product channel.
•Hosted workshops to spread awareness about the product.

AXIS RISK CONSULTING PVT.LTD. (March 2015-July 2016)
Associate Consultant

•Member of IC COE team for Mondelez International- designed the RCM and monitored the risk and control framework of North America and Bratislava Region.
•Member of Internal Audit Team for Dabur International- Independently reviewed -Sales, Logistics, Production and Payroll processes- highlighted process loopholes and provided recommendations to the top management
•Lead the GE India Dresser site and ensured ICFR compliance
•Independently handled the ANZ region for GlaxoSmithKline and ensured appropriate documentation, adequate testing and accurate reporting on financial control activities

SKYTEX INDUSTRIES PVT.LTD. (December 2014-March 2015)
Associate Director

•Oversaw Sales and Marketing for company products
•Provided valuable inputs to minimize production costs and to ensure optimum utilization of resources
•Streamlined the distributor channel to maximize profits.

AXIS RISK CONSULTING PVT.LTD. (July 2013- November 2014)
Senior Analyst

•Independently lead the Beverage Division (North-East Region) and Stales Process (North Region), which included over 100 audits per months, for PepsiCo India and trained over 50 CA Firms
•Received Gold Team Appreciation Award for contribution to Claim Management Project for PepisCo India.
•Regularly inspected Distributor sites of PepsiCo India across the Northern Region of India
•Managed Store Inventory for Vishal Mega Mart which resulted in optimization of the STR (stock transfer ratio) throughout India, reducing the client’s annual inventory management cost by INR 30 Cr.

INTERNSHIPS:

•Finance Intern at Indian Oil Corporation Limited - June 2012 to August 2012
•Marketing Intern at Viacom 18 - January 2012 to February 2012

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:

2010-2013
Delhi University
Hansraj College (B.A. Eco (H))
75.7%

C.B.S.E (XII)
94%

C.B.S.E (X )
90.33%

EXTRACURRICULAR INTERESTS, ACTIVITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS:

•Member, Axis’ Fun@ Work Team - organised Fresher’s training, day outs and sports competitions (2014-2016)
•Participated in Axis’ CSR Initiatives (2013-2015) - plantation drive, blood donation drive etc.
•All India Crime Reform Organisation (2011-present) -worked with Delhi Police to reduce the crime rate in locality, made people aware about their rights and civic responsibilities.
•Member, Axis Recruitment Team 2014 – helped in recruitment process and took 1st Round of interviews accompanied by Senior Managers in Delhi University Colleges- SRCC, Hansraj, SSCBS
•Volunteer, AISEC UDAAN 2011- held cultural workshops and various competitions for underprivileged children.
•Dance Society, Hansraj College - represented college at college festivals - BITS OASIS 2010, Rendezvous 2010
•Event Management, Dance, Basketball and meeting new people

Your profile looks great!

U got good GMAT (darden average), good academic and great extracurricullar profile... probably your Work Experience is still rather short but it's no biggie... I heard lots of competition since you are indian.

so... polishing your essay, resume and recommendation is your way to go... get some help on that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys! I could really use the expertise and advice from someone here. I am an Indian Production Engineer and graduated from the Manipal Institute of Technology in 2015 (7.65 CGPA).

I've since been working in a family business and have worked in roles varying from sales to marketing, business development and product management.
I've represented my company in exhibitions and conferences internationally.
I have single handedly helped my company save a huge amount of money on the biggest hydro power project of its type in the world.
I have also led the design of a new pricing and initial design format that increased accuracy and decreased client response time from a matter of days to a matter of minutes.

I have a 760 on the GMAT and should have 26 months of experience by Fall 2017. I do not have any community work or extra curriculars but I have played a lot of sports as a hobby (and can play most of them well) which I believe has led to a lot of character development both on and off the field.

Given my lack of community work and relatively low work experience, should I apply to Darden?
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
harsh2193 wrote:
Hi guys! I could really use the expertise and advice from someone here. I am an Indian Production Engineer and graduated from the Manipal Institute of Technology in 2015 (7.65 CGPA).

I've since been working in a family business and have worked in roles varying from sales to marketing, business development and product management.
I have single handedly helped my company save a huge amount of money on the biggest hydro power project of its type in the world.
I have also led the design of a new pricing and initial design format that increased accuracy and decreased client response time from a matter of days to a matter of minutes.

I have a 760 on the GMAT and should have 26 months of experience by Fall 2017. I do not have any community work or extra curriculars but I have played a lot of sports as a hobby (and can play most of them well) which I believe has led to a lot of character development both on and off the field.

Given my lack of community work and relatively low work experience, should I apply to Darden?

Thank you for your profile post. I work with a lot of applicants from family businesses so we can certainly chat about your profile relative to others. While everything looks really good with your profile and you have a great GMAT score, why are you looking to go to school now instead of waiting? You could probably target Darden and submit a strong application, but if you wait a little longer your profile will further strengthen not just for Darden but for others schools that you can reach for as well.

Reach out if you want further advice or to chat about working together on your applications. scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
harsh2193 wrote:

Thank you for your profile post. I work with a lot of applicants from family businesses so we can certainly chat about your profile relative to others. While everything looks really good with your profile and you have a great GMAT score, why are you looking to go to school now instead of waiting? You could probably target Darden and submit a strong application, but if you wait a little longer your profile will further strengthen not just for Darden but for others schools that you can reach for as well.

Reach out if you want further advice or to chat about working together on your applications. scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott. Thanks for the reply, your advice is highly appreciated. I am currently looking to go to school in order to change industries. I don't have much satisfaction in the family business (in the manufacturing industry) and want to pivot to the tech industry, something I have a real passion for. Although I can wait for another year if it means making it into better schools, I'd prefer not to if I can get into good schools right now.
How do you think I should explain this along with the lack of any community work or extra curriculars. Do you think I would make a strong application despiite these if I am able to correctly convey the reason for an MBA now, or will it make the adcoms think that I would be a liability when it comes to finding a job.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
harsh2193 wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
harsh2193 wrote:

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott. Thanks for the reply, your advice is highly appreciated. I am currently looking to go to school in order to change industries. I don't have much satisfaction in the family business (in the manufacturing industry) and want to pivot to the tech industry, something I have a real passion for. Although I can wait for another year if it means making it into better schools, I'd prefer not to if I can get into good schools right now.
How do you think I should explain this along with the lack of any community work or extra curriculars. Do you think I would make a strong application despiite these if I am able to correctly convey the reason for an MBA now, or will it make the adcoms think that I would be a liability when it comes to finding a job.

Thank you for your kind words. I am not too concerned with telling the story because if done right that should not be an issue. You could certainly apply now and have a decent chance at some schools, and if you end up being too early to get into a good school then you can always apply again. Your background and stats are strong though so you should do alright this year at the range you are targeting (Darden). Now I would have to brainstorm with you to answer the extra-curricular part. Feel free to reach out to discuss further more formally.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderator:
Darden and UNC Moderator
102 posts