Last visit was: 25 Jul 2024, 09:56 It is currently 25 Jul 2024, 09:56
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Level,   Modifiers,   Pronouns,                                       
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31338 [0]
Given Kudos: 643
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31338 [0]
Given Kudos: 643
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent or in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
egmat
Thanks for the feedback.
What if:
I've taken $500000 loans from the bank, and the loans are fully due. It seems that 'loans are due' makes sense!

Hello TheUltimateWinner,

I do not think it makes sense to say that "loans are due". Even if one needs to pay the loan in full, the payment of the loan in full becomes due as one needs to "pay back" the loan.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Re: The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent or in [#permalink]
Hi,
In Opt. (E) payments are not expected to be paid when they will be

Would it be correct, if it had "....when they are due" in it ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent or in such trouble that they do not expect payments when due.

(A) they do not expect payments when - 'they refer to bank? pronoun reference error'
(B) it does not expect payments when it is - 'first 'it' correctly refers backs to bank. However, second 'it' wrongly refers to plural 'payments'. pronoun reference error'
(C) it does not expect payments to be made when they are - first it correctly refers to bank, second they correctly refers to payments
(D) payments are not to be expected to be paid when - 'payments ... not to be expected to be paid is wordy. why are we saying payments to be paid? it is redundant! Further, the sentence is in passive voice. We should prefer active voice. Also, there is a meaning issue.
(E) payments are not expected to be paid when they will be - 'error from point D repeated.'

Hope it helps, please give me kudos if you find my explanation helpful.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3541 [1]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NishanthNambi wrote:
Hi,
In Opt. (E) payments are not expected to be paid when they will be

Would it be correct, if it had "....when they are due" in it ?

Hi NishanthNambi, there would still be an issue of passive voice (payments are not expected to be paid) in E.

This does not tell us who did not expect payments. C clearly says that it (bank) does not expect payments.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Deadpool3 wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma, ChiranjeevSingh, Skywalker18, egmat, TheEconomistGMAT, GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja generis hazelnut mikemcgarry

Could you please explain whether "will be" in option E is wrong?
(E) payments are not expected to be paid when they will be

We want to say, "The bank does not expect payments to be made AT THE TIME the payments are due." Using the future tense, we would have, "The bank does not expect payments to be made AT THE TIME the payments will be due."

When, exactly, is the time when the payments will be due? We are talking about loans, so, technically, payments WILL BE due from the moment the loan is made until the moment the loan is paid off. The latter example doesn't make it clear that we are talking the specific moment in time at which the payments are due (i.e. the due dates of the payments).

Put another way, if the bill is due on June 10, and I pay on June 10, I've paid on the date that the bill IS due. But if I pay on a date when the bill WILL BE due, I might pay anytime before June 10. On June 1, for example, the bill WILL BE due in the future. But it WILL BE due in the future on June 2, and June 3, etc. So this construction is confusing, at best.

I hope that helps!

Moreover, i believe that payments "paid" is redundant.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
[quote="Mishari"]The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent or in such trouble that they do not expect payments when due.

(A) they do not expect payments when
(B) it does not expect payments when it is
(C) it does not expect payments to be made when they are
(D) payments are not to be expected to be paid when

regarding choice D.
"to be to do" is a future tense and is similar to " will do".
future tense is used to say about a plan or prediction. there are many forms such as " be going to", " to be to do" , to be due to do", or " will do". these form are different depending on the level of certainty, which we do not need to know for gmat. future tense is modal meaning.

"payment are not to be expected" is similar to "payment will not be expected". this is not logical in our context. the correct meaning should be " payment are not expected".
so, choice D is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Although I know option C is correct but can someone please tell me why option B and C are using 'expect' and not 'expects'
Since bank is the subject of expect and bank is singular shouldn't it be expects?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 529
Send PM
The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent or in [#permalink]
Kudos
sarthakaggarwal wrote:
Although I know option C is correct but can someone please tell me why option B and C are using 'expect' and not 'expects'
Since bank is the subject of expect and bank is singular shouldn't it be expects?

It has a negative sentence. Which means they are using "not". Whenever "not" is used, the verb followed by it will be for plural irrespective whether the subject is singular or plural.

This goes for future tense also.

For eg. Sam will eat his food in the afternoon.
This is a future tense sentence, we are using the plural form of the "eat" verb instead of "eats". Had this sentence be in simple present, then "eats" would be used.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
lakshya14 wrote:
sarthakaggarwal wrote:

It has a negative sentence. Which means they are using "not". Whenever "not" is used, the verb followed by it will be for plural irrespective whether the subject is singular or plural.

This goes for future tense also.

For eg. Sam will eat his food in the afternoon.
This is a future tense sentence, we are using the plural form of the "eat" verb instead of "eats". Had this sentence be in simple present, then "eats" would be used.

I see
Thank you so much, i was pondering over this for like half a day
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 499
Send PM
KarishmaB GMATNinja
Why E is incorrect?
Does E has any grammatical error? I think "payment and paid" is not a deterministic error.
Can you please help me to understand meaning difference in C & E?
I think for any expectation, future tense is fine.

Thanks in advance!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66874 [4]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB GMATNinja
Why E is incorrect?
Does E has any grammatical error? I think "payment and paid" is not a deterministic error.
Can you please help me to understand meaning difference in C & E?
I think for any expectation, future tense is fine.

Thanks in advance!

Sneha2021 -

In time clauses with 'when', we use simple present.

For example,
She will come home when she is done.
She will come home when she will be done. - not correct

"When" already gives us a reference of the future.

Same for the 'if clause'

If she helps me, I will be done sooner.

So in (E) "when they will be due" isn't correct.

Also, payments are made, not paid. Money is paid.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3541 [1]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In addition to what KarishmaB correctly mentions, note that option E is in passive voice ("payments are not expected to be paid"). As is often the case, passive voice conceals the "doer" of the action. In other words, it is not clear in E as to who does not expect payments; C on the other hand, clearly states that the bank does not expect payments.

Additionally, E says: payments are not to be paid. We don't pay payments; we make payments.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Active and Passive voice, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q86 V80 DI79
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 8.48
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Mishari wrote:
The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent or in such trouble that they do not expect payments when due.

(A) they do not expect payments when
(B) it does not expect payments when it is
(C) it does not expect payments to be made when they are
(D) payments are not to be expected to be paid when

I have correctly marked C but I am having trouble understanding how to identify whether 'they' is ambiguous or not. I know here it is properly referring to the payments but how to identify whether a pronoun is ambiguous or not. Sorry if it sounds like a noob question, but I would highly appreciate if I can get some explanation on this.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64590 [2]
Given Kudos: 1824
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos