It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [8], given: 11

The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (00:34) correct 62% (00:43) wrong based on 1111 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of circumstance, his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case.

(A) circumstance, his life

(B) circumstance, and his life

(C) circumstance, and his life being

(D) circumstance; his life

(E) circumstance: his life being
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 03 Oct 2017, 19:57, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 82 [8], given: 11

11 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 480 [11], given: 142

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 01:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sukant2010 wrote:
The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of circumstance, his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case.

Hi all,
I was mainly confused between two options in this question. Please elaborate on your reason for choosing an answer.

is the answer A ?
The part beginning 'his life...' explains the circumstance and acts as appositive.

B seems wrong for incorrect parallelism. If you break the conjunction - The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed his life uprooted... doesn't sound correct.
C and E are out for unnecessary 'being'
D is out as the clause 'his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case.' doesn't have an active verb.

Also as a forum rule, you must update the OA.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 480 [11], given: 142

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 11

Re: The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 01:37
Hi,
Sorry, yes the OA is (A).
My major doubt is how is 'uprooted' a participle. I mean 'uprooted' can also act as a main verb and the second part of the sentence can be an independent clause.
Thats why I went with (d).

4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 480 [4], given: 142

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 01:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sukant2010 wrote:
Hi,
Sorry, yes the OA is (A).
My major doubt is how is 'uprooted' a participle. I mean 'uprooted' can also act as a main verb and the second part of the sentence can be an independent clause.
Thats why I went with (d).

his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case.
Here 'uprooted' is a state (like adjectives beautiful, graceful, painful etc) of his life, not an action on his life.

The statement could be:

his life was uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 480 [4], given: 142

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 01:50
Yes,
I think thats the point. The sentence had to be in passive to be correct as 'his life' cannot be the doer of something and hence, the sentence cannot be active.
Thanks a lot..:)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 724

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 04:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ConnectTheDots wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:

Hi all,
I was mainly confused between two options in this question. Please elaborate on your reason for choosing an answer.

is the answer A ?
The part beginning 'his life...' explains the circumstance and acts as appositive.

B seems wrong for incorrect parallelism. If you break the conjunction - The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed his life uprooted... doesn't sound correct.
C and E are out for unnecessary 'being'
D is out as the clause 'his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case.' doesn't have an active verb.

Also as a forum rule, you must update the OA.

Is this a noun modifier you mean to say here??
Please confirm

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 724

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 480 [1], given: 142

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 05:29
This post received
KUDOS
WoundedTiger wrote:

Is this a noun modifier you mean to say here??
Please confirm

Yes it's a noun modifier.
http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/appositive.htm
http://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary ... sition.htm

― Voltaire

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 480 [1], given: 142

Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17874 [9], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sukant2010 wrote:

Hi all,

Responding to a pm:

Note that "his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." and "his life being uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." are not independent clauses because they have no verb in them.

The following are independent clauses and one of these is what you need with the coordinating conjunction ('and') and semi colon:

"his life was uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." or
"his life was being uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

Accuracy wise, the use of 'being' is still suspect. 'Being' is not used to describe a state; it is used to describe an ongoing action such as 'the tree is being uprooted'.

Colon is used if you need to give a list and hence, is not suitable here. So options (B), (C), (D) and (E) are wrong.

Only option (A) describes circumstance suitably using the modifier "his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17874 [9], given: 235

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1079 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2014, 08:08
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:

Hi all,

Responding to a pm:

Note that "his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." and "his life being uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." are not independent clauses because they have no verb in them.

The following are independent clauses and one of these is what you need with the coordinating conjunction ('and') and semi colon:

"his life was being uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

Accuracy wise, the use of 'being' is still suspect. 'Being' is not used to describe a state; it is used to describe an ongoing action such as 'the tree is being uprooted'.

Colon is used if you need to give a list and hence, is not suitable here. So options (B), (C), (D) and (E) are wrong.

Only option (A) describes circumstance suitably using the modifier "his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

Hi Karishma,

I am trying to understand the structure here. Normally I have seen verbing or noun + noun modifier to modifier the preceding clause. I am not that familiar with this modifier structure.

As per veritasprep explanation.
it is modifier structure (called an absolute phrase). Can you please explain this modifier structure.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1079 [0], given: 548

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 17874 [5], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kinjiGC wrote:

I am trying to understand the structure here. Normally I have seen verbing or noun + noun modifier to modifier the preceding clause. I am not that familiar with this modifier structure.

As per veritasprep explanation.
it is modifier structure (called an absolute phrase). Can you please explain this modifier structure.

Often (but not always), this is the structure of an absolute phrase:

noun + participle (could be -ing or -ed) + optional modifier or object

It modifies an independent clause as a whole.

It is often useful in describing one part of the whole person/place/thing or in explaining a cause or condition etc. The absolute phrase above describes the life of the accused - a condition.

Other examples:
There was no one in sight and Paul, his hands still jammed in his pockets, scowled down the empty street.
We devoured the yummy cupcake, our fingers scraping the leftover frosting off the plates.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17874 [5], given: 235

2 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 171 [2], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 23:28
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.beatthegmat.com/absolute-phr ... 78196.html

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [2], given: 537

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 14:52
VeritasPrepKarishma
But don't we need past perfect here?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 2

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
AnubhavRao wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

I don't see the reason past perfect would be called for. Let's look at the question again:

Changing this to: "The defense lawyer and witnesses had portrayed the accused as a victim of circumstance, his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." would not make the meaning any clearer.

Perhaps your confusion centers around the phrase after the comma: "...his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

This is neither a sentence nor a clause. It doesn't have a tense. The word "uprooted" acts as a modifier, providing additional information about his life.

If we change that part to: "...his life had uprooted by the media pressure..." then one would be inclined to think that his life took specific action; it uprooted someone or something unmentioned in the sentence.

GMAT Instructor
ApexGMAT
http://www.apexgmat.com/

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 15:43
Yeah, you are right. Thanks for the explanation.
Umm one more thing. Do you have any idea whether Veritas prep CATs are a good enough indicator? I mean the level of their question and scoring pattern. Scored 740 in Gmatprep, 730 in Manhattan and just 670 in the free Veritas CAT with just 36 in verbal and 46 in quant.

Expert Post
G

Kudos [?]: 17874 [0], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 21:54
AnubhavRao wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

To add to what Zosimus said, a verb will take the past perfect tense when there are actual or implied multiple actions taking place at different points in time in the past. There is only one actual verb "portrayed". "his life uprooted..." is an appositive i.e. a modifier. So there will be no past perfect verb in this sentence.

Suggest you to check out this post on past perfect: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/03 ... questions/

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 12:33
AnubhavRao wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

To add to what Zosimus said, a verb will take the past perfect tense when there are actual or implied multiple actions taking place at different points in time in the past. There is only one actual verb "portrayed". "his life uprooted..." is an appositive i.e. a modifier. So there will be no past perfect verb in this sentence.

Suggest you to check out this post on past perfect: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/03 ... questions/

I don't know whether you noticed above, but the poster asked: "Do you have any idea whether Veritas prep CATs are a good enough indicator?"

I can't answer that question. Maybe you could?

GMAT Instructor
ApexGMAT
http://www.apexgmat.com/

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 23:09
AnubhavRao wrote:
Yeah, you are right. Thanks for the explanation.
Umm one more thing. Do you have any idea whether Veritas prep CATs are a good enough indicator? I mean the level of their question and scoring pattern. Scored 740 in Gmatprep, 730 in Manhattan and just 670 in the free Veritas CAT with just 36 in verbal and 46 in quant.

Yes, our test scores are quite accurate and usually within 30 points of the actual score. That said, if you scored unexpectedly low in one test, it could be because of an "off" day. Perhaps you were distracted or in a foul mood etc. A lot of things can impact your test score so I would suggest you to relax and take another test in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, focus on the errors you made and try to strengthen those areas. A lower score in a test means a higher opportunity to identify weaknesses and hence more value obtained from the test.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.71

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2016, 13:54

(A) circumstance, his life - Correct Answer. This is definitely a strange structure but just because it looks and sounds a bit different to what we would be normally used to seeing and hearing doesn't mean it should be ruled out. The structure "his life uprooted" is used to provide additional information to the first clause.
(B) circumstance, and his life - Wrong. This is not a complete clause although, even if it stated ", and his life was uprooted" it might not be correct as it sounds like a completely different thought.
(C) circumstance, and his life being - Wrong. Same as B
(D) circumstance; his life. Wrong - The part after the semi colon is not a complete sentence.
(E) circumstance: his life being - The colon is not correct here. A colon should be able to be followed by the word "namely" or "that is" and still make sense.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1119 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 08:57
THREAD LOCKED

Please carry on here - the-defense-lawyer-and-witnesses-portrayed-the-accused-as-a-170871.html

Please search the forum before posting a new question and follow rules for posting in this forum..

Also hide your comments under the spoiler henceforth.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1119 [0], given: 327

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 13:45
Sukant2010 wrote:

Hi all,

Responding to a pm:

Hi Karishma,

I referred to official Veritas Prep explanation for option A and there it was mentioned that second part of the sentence is an absolute phrase.
How to recognize absolute phrases in SC?

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Re: The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2016, 13:45

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 37 posts ] 

The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap