It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck Vs Dream Job Offer?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Tuck Vs Dream Job Offer? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 20:42
A couple of things happened in a span of a 4 days. I got an admit from Tuck and two days later a Product management job offer in the US from Tech Headquarters (Read Google, Facebook, Microsoft). So now, I'm torn. It's a job I've mentioned in all my post MBA goals essay and it's the chance to do an MBA from a school I love.

Taking the job will not mean I'd never do an MBA but it would mean that I may have to let this admit go. I really want to get my admit deferred but I've heard that it's next to impossible that a deferment is granted for professional reasons.

I realise that this is a very privileged position to be in yet it's a very hard decision to make. So any help, arguments and/or pointers would be appreciated.

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 43

GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tuck Vs Dream Job Offer? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 21:12
arcanerain wrote:
A couple of things happened in a span of a 4 days. I got an admit from Tuck and two days later a Product management job offer in the US from Tech Headquarters (Read Google, Facebook, Microsoft). So now, I'm torn. It's a job I've mentioned in all my post MBA goals essay and it's the chance to do an MBA from a school I love.

Taking the job will not mean I'd never do an MBA but it would mean that I may have to let this admit go. I really want to get my admit deferred but I've heard that it's next to impossible that a deferment is granted for professional reasons.

I realise that this is a very privileged position to be in yet it's a very hard decision to make. So any help, arguments and/or pointers would be appreciated.

Boy oh boy, its a great dilemma to have. I would suggest take couple days to think about your options.
On personal note, i had two great job offers from giant apparel brands (top 5) and i haven't even applied for MBA yet. It is tricky but i would suggest don't ruin long term goals for short term gains. If Product management job was all you ever wanted then don't waste time n money on MBA. If you plan on doing great things down the line 10 years from now then attend Tuck.

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 43

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 21:12
arcanerain wrote:

First, congrats on the job offer. I can imagine the sweet misery you would be in right now, because Prod Mgmt at Google is my short term goal post mba.
My 2 cents: If i were in your shoes, i would give up the job offer plainly because my ask from a Tuck MBA is more personal and intellectual than professional.

But if this transition was the reason for your MBA application in the first place, dont forget that you might have an opportunity to do an Exec MBA from an insititute as prestigious as Tuck later in your professional career.
Put logically,
Tuck MBA leading upto a transition to a Google Prod Mgr "2 yrs later" in 2019
Vs
Google Prod Mgr WITH 2 yrs work exp in 2019

Pursuing an MBA makes sense if you can add some parameter (personal, immediateness of your want to do an MBA, long time value, etc) to the above equation that balances it, which I guess will need intense introspection.

Hope that helps. Congrats again :-)

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 22:32
Congrats on both.

If i were in your place, i would take the job.

Ofcourse Tuck is a wonderful place to be, but for me, if i want to travel from A to B, and i have to choose between a train and a flight, i would pick the flight, no matter how fantastic the train is !!

Just how i would think i such a situation. May be i am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 00:08
Hi, congrats on your options. I think taking an MBA should be very practical decision - you do it to advance or switch your career, not just spend 2 years studying and enjoying. So I would take a job. Also, try to find a legitimate reason for deferral.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 01:45
This is what I think:
First try to defer the Tuck admit. If it happens, great..If it doesn't.....read further...
Now you need to evaluate if this is "really" your dream job? Make sure its no infatuation but real love. If you're 100% sure IT IS your dream job, go for the job. If you're 99.99% sure, choose Tuck.

Other thing you can do is join the job immediately, work there for few months and negotiate for a study leave. If they don't agree, leave on a good note. You may go there again after your MBA (if Tuck doesn't change your dream :lol: )

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 5

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 82

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 03:36
arcanerain wrote:

This is a no brainer my friend - TAKE THE JOB!!

There is no better education than in the Real world - besides you are GETTING PAID for it - not the other way around.

Esp in the US, not having an MBA degree is not going to hold you back in any way - if the pay is good enough - Run with it.

If you got admitted once, you'll get it again - and in a couple of years, you can target HSW level schools!

All the best mate.

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 82

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 185 [1], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This might sound bad, but I would recommend you take the job and put down a deposit for Tuck. Work in the job for a few months and then decide. There's no way to evaluate the value of this job offer until you start working there - see if it is a good fit and a place you want to live long-term before closing out options with Tuck.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 185 [1], given: 76

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 13:27
Wow. So many responses. Thank you so much, kind people. All of these are great points!

My ask out of an MBA is a lot more than just a shift or a focus to the PM role. It is the need for the immersive experience it offers. Hence the dilemma about postponing the MBA and letting the admit go.

There is another couple of pointers I realised I missed out in the initial post - Firstly, I have less than 3 years of work experience at this point. PM is a transition and may help me gain more clarity on what I want to do. On the flip side - an MBA may help me discover a path I didn't even know I could like or pursue. Secondly, this position will require me to relocate from my country to the US which involves a relocation payment of a significant amount that I will have to return in case I leave before 12 months.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 13:33
arcanerain wrote:
Wow. So many responses. Thank you so much, kind people. All of these are great points!

My ask out of an MBA is a lot more than just a shift or a focus to the PM role. It is the need for the immersive experience it offers. Hence the dilemma about postponing the MBA and letting the admit go.

There is another couple of pointers I realised I missed out in the initial post - Firstly, I have less than 3 years of work experience at this point. PM is a transition and may help me gain more clarity on what I want to do. On the flip side - an MBA may help me discover a path I didn't even know I could like or pursue. Secondly, this position will require me to relocate from my country to the US which involves a relocation payment of a significant amount that I will have to return in case I leave before 12 months.

Then of course take the job - 3 years of experience is really few and you are young, so you will easily be able to get an MBA in 2-4 years

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 14:34
arcanerain wrote:

If this is an international experience, it will only add to your profile.
Ask yourself a question - if you got such a great application (of course, profile, essays, etc.) now, can you make it better next time?
If yes, then, this job is just making you even better. give it a shot for 2 yrs. If that is what you want, then you will have more focused profile and reapplicants are not looked down at anyway.
If you think this admission was a fluke or a chance then you have a decision to make. The job certainly makes you a better candidate - very great company, international experience and of course money too.

Sure, there are many things you will have to think through. Just as m B Singh said, take a time to think about it. Take your time..
And hey, congratulations!!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Schools: Wharton '19 (A)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 18:11
How old are you? I guess thats something to think about too.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
WE: Accounting (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 21:10
I can't hope to every understand the full circumstances of your personal situation. Likewise I'm sure you've thought long and hard enough about this that I'm unlikely to add any information to your decision. However, I'll still provide my two cents:

Really your decision depends entirely to your dedication to your dream job. If you are fully convinced that this function in this company, in this industry is the only thing you'd ever like to do, then it's a no-brainer.

Otherwise, come join me at Tuck. Almost certainly this job (or a very similar one) will still be available to you, albeit two years delayed. Meanwhile at Tuck you could (a) discover a new passion and (b) have an MBA, including the renowned Tuck alumni network, to fall back on if the dream job doesn't work out.

I can't tell you which way to decide, but I do feel strongly that your commitment/loyalty/dedication to your dream job should be the dominant factor in your decision.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 09:12
Assuming you have three years of work experience, I guess you are 24 - 26 years old (depending on whether you have done graduation or masters, Indian education system). In either case, if you don't go for an MBA now you may miss out on Investment Banking jobs and / or other finance jobs. These jobs generally have a flare for young candidates. I am not saying you will completely lose out on them, but your chances will diminish by some margin. Since, tuck is known for finance and career transitions as well, ask yourself whether you wanted a job in such a field, if not, then go for the job that you are getting.

You are in a wonderful dilemma my friend, and 2-3 more years of experience will not hurt you in any way. Tuck out of all the other schools, really tries a lot to figure out the fit of the students. So, if you have received an admit now, chances are you will get it again. An MBA in US is a huge investment decision as well, and, contrary to what many mba consultants or websites like P&Q will tell you, the break-even takes more than 6 years for many - from my discussions with a lot of MBA grads. My suggestion would be to take the job, save some money, gain some more experience, re-apply after 2 or may be 3 years to HSW and Tuck as well (2 would work better than 3). Your international stint at google/facebook/microsoft will definitely help you when you reapply.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

Re: Tuck Vs Dream Job Offer?   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2017, 09:12

Tuck Vs Dream Job Offer?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap