Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [10]
Given Kudos: 338
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Schools: NUS '21
GMAT 1: 490 Q32 V25
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Virtual Stock Exchange, a game simulating real world stock exchange, [#permalink]
Kudos
urvashis09 wrote:
Virtual Stock Exchange, a game stimulating real world stock exchange, has proved helpful to teach real world share trading.

A. Virtual Stock Exchange, a game stimulating real world stock exchange, has proved helpful to teach real world share trading.

B. Virtual Stock Exchange, a game stimulating real world stock exchange, has proved itself helpful to teach real world share trading.

C. Virtual Stock Exchange, a game stimulating real world stock exchange, proves itself helpful as teaching real world share trading.

D. Virtual Stock Exchange, a game that stimulates real world stock exchange, proves itself helpful to teach real world share trading.

E. Virtual Stock Exchange, a game that stimulates real world stock exchange, has proved helpful in teaching real world share trading.

Source: Experts' Global

stimulating vs that stimulates. that stimulates is correct so A,B and C are out.
Out of D and E, has proved helpful in teaching real world share trading is correct.

proves itself means that the gmae by itself proved which is not correct. So E is correct answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: Virtual Stock Exchange, a game simulating real world stock exchange, [#permalink]
Kudos
Though I marked this question correct, anybody here, please elaborate the answer.

Virtual Stock Exchange, a game stimulating real world stock exchange
Virtual Stock Exchange, a game that stimulates real world stock exchange

I think both are correct, aren't they?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Kudos
gvij2017 wrote:
Though I marked this question correct, anybody here, please elaborate the answer.

gvij2017
yes ..the written above part is correct ..but reading further u will find the difference

"to teach real world market" and .."in teaching the marketts"

the intended meaning is precise with later one. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
rohit8865 wrote:
gvij2017 wrote:

gvij2017
yes ..the written above part is correct ..but reading further u will find the difference

"to teach real world market" and .."in teaching the marketts"

the intended meaning is precise with later one. :)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
daagh sir any thoughts on this one?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Could anyone please mention about using that stimulates and stimulating. Why one is preferred over the other and is it the same thing with all other sentences. Is a that clause always preferred on GMAT ?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
subramanya1991,

Quote:
Could anyone please mention about using that stimulates and stimulating. Why one is preferred over the other and is it the same thing with all other sentences. Is a that clause always preferred on GMAT?

I'm not an expert, but I believe split "stimulating" vs "that stimulates" not decision point in this sentence. Experts might correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no strong preference of "that" over "-ING" modifier on GMAT.

The only information I met about the similar split is in explanation to this question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/salt-deposit ... -6837.html
The explanation states that it is not correct to use present participle "flourishing" when we are talking about something definitely from the past, and for such a case "that flourished" works better.

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
would love some expert review on this one.
mikemcgarry
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I am not satisfied with the previous explanations.

1. why not "itself"?

example: The fourteen-year-old Gertrude was appointed as the abbess and proved herself deserving of the title.

This sentences uses "proved herself" and seems correct to me. What's the difference between this sentence and the problem?

2. why present perfect tense?

I don't see why a present perfect tense is required when a simple present tense would do the job?

3. what is the difference between "helpful to" and "helpful in"?

Experts, please help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
Kudos
ExpertsGlobal you have a great platform and close to accurate scoring, but I and some other candidates strongly feel that your verbal questions need a revamp. And the English explanations need to be more meaningful and accurate.
emcheeks wrote:
I am not satisfied with the previous explanations.

1. why not "itself"?

example: The fourteen-year-old Gertrude was appointed as the abbess and proved herself deserving of the title.

This sentences uses "proved herself" and seems correct to me. What's the difference between this sentence and the problem?

2. why present perfect tense?

I don't see why a present perfect tense is required when a simple present tense would do the job?

3. what is the difference between "helpful to" and "helpful in"?

Experts, please help!

I am not an expert, but 1. why not "itself"?, in 2 and 3 i have similar doubts.
using itself would mean something like this: Virtual share trading ( A Game) ....... proves itself. Its wierd right?, a game can't prove itself, someone can
and of course a girl can prove herself
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Expert Reply
gvij2017 wrote:

Hello,

First thing first, whoever quoted this question, committed a series of typos; it's "simulates" and not "stimulates" everywhere. I have requested moderators to correct that.

Now, A vs E issue. A is superior for two reasons.

1. "a game simulating" means that the game is "currently simulating"; a "game that simulates" means that the game can/generally simulate. Of course, latter is correct. E wins.

2. "helpful to simulate" vs "helpful in simulating"; "helpful" is an adjective; present participle (simulating) is used to modify nouns and adjectives, infinitives (to simulate) are used to modify verbs. A different way of looking at it is that the present participle is preferred for displaying quality and the infinitive is preferred for displaying "intent of action". Hence, the usage of present participle is better. E wins.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

PS- here is a similar official question- https://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to ... 81278.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Virtual Stock Exchange, a game simulating real world stock exchange, [#permalink]
Hello,

First thing first, whoever quoted this question, committed a series of typos; it's "simulates" and not "stimulates" everywhere. I have requested moderators to correct that.

1. "a game simulating" means that the game is "currently simulating"; a "game that simulates" means that the game can/generally simulate. Of course, latter is correct. E wins.

2. "helpful to simulate" vs "helpful in simulating"; "helpful" is an adjective; present participle (simulating) is used to modify nouns and adjectives, infinitives (to simulate) are used to modify verbs. A different way of looking at it is that the present participle is preferred for displaying quality and the infinitive is preferred for displaying "intent of action". Hence, the usage of present participle is better. E wins.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Hi ExpertsGlobal5 Maxximus
Can I rephrase your point 2 and say that infinitives are used to show intent/plan/purpose/desire etc. etc., hence option A incorrectly says that Virtual stock exchange (a game) has an intent to teach real world share trading. How can a game has an intent? The manufacturer of the game has an intent.

Is my apprehension right? Please do answer my question. This question has appeared in my Experts global mock and I couldn't find satisfactory explanation for it.

Br Abhishek
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShekGMAT wrote:
Hello,

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Hi ExpertsGlobal5 Maxximus
Can I rephrase your point 2 and say that infinitives are used to show intent/plan/purpose/desire etc. etc., hence option A incorrectly says that Virtual stock exchange (a game) has an intent to teach real world share trading. How can a game has an intent? The manufacturer of the game has an intent.

Is my apprehension right? Please do answer my question. This question has appeared in my Experts global mock and I couldn't find satisfactory explanation for it.

Br Abhishek

Hello ShekGMAT,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your reasoning is largely correct, but we would like to offer one point of correction; the incorrect meaning implied by Option A is that the game proved itself, generally, helpful in order to teach real-world share trading; the intended meaning is that the game proved itself helpful, specifically, for helping teach real-world share trading.

To understand the concept of "Infinitives" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts