Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 13:01 It is currently 06 May 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.61
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Stanford Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

Can you please go through the below and provide me your valuable inputs? Specific questions I have are listed at the bottom.

Bio: 1994 born, Indian, Engineer, Male

GMAT: 770 (Q 50 / V 46)

Intend to apply R1 for 2021 intake.

Education: Top 15 Indian School (non-IIT) GPA 8.11/10 Electrical and Electronics Engineering (no official figure on rank. The gold medalist had 9.84/10 GPA). (Note - Got selected for ISB Young Leaders Program but I dropped out)

Full time work Ex - Total 4+ years (at the time of applying in Sep 2020)
1. 2.9 years in a Consulting division of a Big 4 Accounting firm. Worked with Fortune 500 clients in insurance and hospital industry. Mostly on Cost Optimization, business Process Restructuring and Project Management consulting assignments. Worked at Office of the Managing Director for a year. 4 awards. Few months of international client facing experience in US (had to come back due to immigration issues).
2. 1.5 years in top tier non-profit (think Gates/Dell/Clinton Foundation) where I work with national govt on a high impact project in digital transformation & leveraging AI/ML for public health systems.

Part time work ex (pro bono):
1. Worked with a Member of Parliament (Upper house) to create a strategy to make Bangalore a tourist hub.
2. Worked as remote volunteer with a national award winning documentary film maker for his new project around families residing along borders of India
3. GMAT tutor online

Extra curricular:
School
Ambassador for a top tier international education NGO. Co-founded its school chapter. Taught English, Math to 30 children for 2 years.

Undergrad
1. Organizer (1/15, led Revenue Dept) of one of the largest college cultural festivals in the country. Led team of 80 to generate revenues of 65K USD+ and footfall of 30,000+
2. Volunteer with top tier national education NGO for 3 years in various roles - Teacher, fundraiser, career counselor, Mentor
3. Social Entrepreneurship venture with Enactus to create livelihood for 6 widows in rural India. Raised 6K USD as funds from Walmart, KPMG. Led 50 member team.
4. Co-founded a college club which was a collab between the college and an MNC. Led 40+ member team
5. Participated and won in 15+ debate tournaments (MUNs)

After undergrad
1. Ambassador for alumni association of college and created the social media presence - generating 20K+ engagement in 6 months.
2. Participated in education related CSR activities at Big 4 firm
3. Completed Certificate course in public policy (Young Leaders for Active Citizenship). Studied under Harvard MPA/Oxford MPP educated mentors.
4. Rejoined the national NGO in (2) above as a Mentor for youth (18+ years of age)

Target Schools: H/S/W/Booth

Post MBA Goal - Deciding between Impact investing in India and International Public Sector Consulting

Added Info - Applied in 2018 with a hurried application (think 4 schools in 1 month) to H/S/W/Sloan. This was when I was still at big 4 consulting. Bad Decision. I know. But that ship has sailed.

Thank you for taking time out to go through my profile. The questions I have are -

1. I have a non-IIT undergrad and not-so-stellar GPA. How do I optimize this aspect for H/S/W? the GMAT is one way. But what else can I do?
2. I have never had direct reportees during professional life. Even in my current role I am directly working with the leadership of the Ministry of Health. I have guided technical/ops teams but its not direct reporting. How do I showcase leadership?
3. Re-applicant. I applied 2018 December. I will again apply 2020 September. What is the potential impact?
4. Are the target schools realistic?
5. What else can I do to improve my profile?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
Send PM
Re: Stanford Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Observer0911 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please go through the below and provide me your valuable inputs? Specific questions I have are listed at the bottom.

Bio: 1994 born, Indian, Engineer, Male

GMAT: 770 (Q 50 / V 46)

Education: Top 15 Indian School (non-IIT) GPA 8.11/10 Electrical and Electronics Engineering (no official figure on rank. The gold medalist had 9.84/10 GPA). (Note - Got selected for ISB Young Leaders Program but I dropped out)

Full time work Ex - Total 4+ years (at the time of applying in Sep 2020)
1. 2.9 years in a Consulting division of a Big 4 Accounting firm. Worked with Fortune 500 clients in insurance and hospital industry. Mostly on Cost Optimization, business Process Restructuring and Project Management consulting assignments. Worked at Office of the Managing Director for a year. 4 awards. Few months of international client facing experience in US (had to come back due to immigration issues).
2. 1.5 years in top tier non-profit (think Gates/Dell/Clinton Foundation) where I work with national govt on a high impact project in digital transformation & leveraging AI/ML for public health systems.

Part time work ex (pro bono):
1. Worked with a Member of Parliament (Upper house) to create a strategy to make Bangalore a tourist hub.
2. Worked as remote volunteer with a national award winning documentary film maker for his new project around families residing along borders of India
3. GMAT tutor online

Extra curricular:
School
Ambassador for a top tier international education NGO. Co-founded its school chapter. Taught English, Math to 30 children for 2 years.

Undergrad
1. Organizer (1/15, led Revenue Dept) of one of the largest college cultural festivals in the country. Led team of 80 to generate revenues of 65K USD+ and footfall of 30,000+
2. Volunteer with top tier national education NGO for 3 years in various roles - Teacher, fundraiser, career counselor, Mentor
3. Social Entrepreneurship venture with Enactus to create livelihood for 6 widows in rural India. Raised 6K USD as funds from Walmart, KPMG. Led 50 member team.
4. Co-founded a college club which was a collab between the college and an MNC. Led 40+ member team
5. Participated and won in 15+ debate tournaments (MUNs)

After undergrad
1. Ambassador for alumni association of college and created the social media presence - generating 20K+ engagement in 6 months.
3. Completed Certificate course in public policy (Young Leaders for Active Citizenship). Studied under Harvard MPA/Oxford MPP educated mentors.
4. Rejoined the national NGO in (2) above as a Mentor for youth (18+ years of age)

Target Schools: H/S/W/Booth

Post MBA Goal - Deciding between Impact investing in India and International Public Sector Consulting

Added Info - Applied in 2018 with a hurried application (think 4 schools in 1 month) to H/S/W/Sloan. This was when I was still at big 4 consulting. Bad Decision. I know. But that ship has sailed.

Thank you for taking time out to go through my profile. The questions I have are -

1. I have a non-IIT undergrad and not-so-stellar GPA. How do I optimize this aspect for H/S/W? the GMAT is one way. But what else can I do?
2. I have never had direct reportees during professional life. Even in my current role I am directly working with the leadership of the Ministry of Health. I have guided technical/ops teams but its not direct reporting. How do I showcase leadership?
3. Re-applicant. I applied 2018 December. I will again apply 2020 September. What is the potential impact?
4. Are the target schools realistic?
5. What else can I do to improve my profile?

Hi Observer,

Great experience! Interestingly a lot of Indian applicants are taking a career path similar to yours- some corporate experience followed by working at an NGO, while being attached to a member of Parliament. and this lot is increasingly applying to M7 programs. So, I am going to say, you still have the task of differentiating yourself from this competition.
what I specifically like about your profile is your extended experience in healthcare. A lot of your co-curricular activities also tie in with this and this would help you make a genuine case for your passion toward helping other people.
The non-IIT degree will not hurt and the GPA is not too bad. To strengthen these, you have an outstanding GMAT score. FYI, I have seen non IIT applicants get into top MBAs, so build your application on your own merits and on what you have achieved - you'll be good with that.

How do you show leadership? Well, there are several ways to do that. Working in the Government Ministry, you have to delpoy skills such as persuasion, influence, conflict management, goal setting, sharing vision, negotiations, leading initiatives while working with people over who you have no direct authority (and maybe 10+ years senior to you) - all of these require leadership skills. Infact its difficult to lead people when they don't report to you, so you have a solid case there.

Applying to 4 b-schools in a month was a bad idea, and I hope you will not make the same mistake this year. Most MBAs are reapplicant friendly, but you will end up writing a reapplicant essay. Here, compared to last year, you must show better maturity, more self awareness, any positive changes in your profile and changes in career goals. Be careful though, you should not just apply to the old programs, but also add new ones to the mix.

In terms of profile improvement- well, there's nothing much you can do now and you are in a good space already. Here are a few tips: 1. sort out your application strategy. Deadlines are a month away; 2. get down to application writing; and 3. give sufficient time per application. Also, Reach out if you need help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder

Thank you for the detailed response Namita. This was really insightful and inspiring. You're right about many Indian applicants pursuing this path. I guess its because of the brilliant opportunities this sector offers even to young people. More than 7 people went to M7 programs from my organization this year and that has been the case for the past 3 years.

I am not applying this year. I'm planning to apply 2020 R1. So I have a year to improve the quantitative aspects about my profile. Does it make sense to pursue a certification like HBX Core to build a stronger academic case?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Observer0911 wrote:
MBADecoder

Thank you for the detailed response Namita. This was really insightful and inspiring. You're right about many Indian applicants pursuing this path. I guess its because of the brilliant opportunities this sector offers even to young people. More than 7 people went to M7 programs from my organization this year and that has been the case for the past 3 years.

I am not applying this year. I'm planning to apply 2020 R1. So I have a year to improve the quantitative aspects about my profile. Does it make sense to pursue a certification like HBX Core to build a stronger academic case?

It doesn't seem you lack quantitative aspects in your profile. the only reason you should not apply this year is if you wish to gain more experience in the impact sector.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder

Hi Namita,

I currently have < 6 months experience in the current role & org. I will have 1.5 years of experience in the current organization by the time I apply next year. There are some high impact activities planned throughout next year at work.

Also, I am told schools do not always look at your application through a "re-applicant" lens if it is not the immediate next year. Making it easier as a re-applicant. You would, of course, know better.

These are the two reasons I do not intend to apply this year.

Best regards
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Observer0911 wrote:
MBADecoder

Hi Namita,

I currently have < 6 months experience in the current role & org. I will have 1.5 years of experience in the current organization by the time I apply next year. There are some high impact activities planned throughout next year at work.

Also, I am told schools do not always look at your application through a "re-applicant" lens if it is not the immediate next year. Making it easier as a re-applicant. You would, of course, know better.

These are the two reasons I do not intend to apply this year.

Best regards

Ok. I thought you already have 1.5 years at the current organization. 6 months is less experience to build a career goals story on. If there are some impactful projects coming your way, you should work on those and apply next year.
Even if you have to write the reapplicant essay then (which I think you will write), you would have more self-awareness and growth to show.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bio: 1997, Australian, Engineer, Male

GMAT: 780 (Q 51 / V 46)

Education: Top 250 in the world uni, but nothing glamorous. Course Weighted Average 80% (Approx GPA is somewhere from 3.4-3.7 depending on what you convert with but there's no official GPA used, and Australian marks don't convert easily) Mechatronics Engineering

Full time work Ex - (at time of applying Sep 2021)
1. 1.2 years Technology Strategy and Automation Capability Development for same company as below. Global role looking at multiple initiatives within the business ranging from Machine Automation to Data Analytics, Machine Learning and Decision Automation.
2. 0.7 years as a Graduate Engineer based at a mine for one of the world largest miners and had the chance to work on multiple major initiatives with multi-million dollar impacts.

Part time/Intern ex:
1. 0.25 years full time as an engineering intern at a large mining company in reliabilty engineering.
2. 0.5 years part time internship as an engineering intern at a joint venture between a major networks company, major oil and gas company and govenrnment data authority.

Extra curricular:
School
1. Accumulated 100+ hours of volunteering with many large organisations including Meals on Wheels and Salvation Army.

Undergrad
1. University Leadership Program. Lead organisation of event between 5 people to raise 3.8k through a charity evening for Opportunity International.
The following year, I mentored incoming students to guide their journey in establishing plastic bottle recycling in Western Australia.
2. Volunteered in program addressing Higher Education Access Disadvantage, encouraging students from lower socio-economic areas to consider university or other tertiary education.
3. Volunteer Ambassador for University, helping create a connection for prospective students and enable to discover the right fit for themselves.
4. Volunteered as Treasurer for the university club for my degree, as well as committee member for a cultural club.

After undergrad

Target Schools: Stanford/Sloan/Berkeley/Wharton

Post MBA Goal - Deciding between Management at a Technology firm vs Pursuing my own Start Up Venture in Automation related areas.

The questions I have are -

1. What do I need to build on in the next 12 months to get to those target schools?
2. Coming from the mining industry, does it impact the MBA application? I can say i've not seen many from that industry at all on these forums.
3. What sort of areas will help build the extracurricular area for a school like Stanford?
4. What else can I do to improve my profile?
5. Is there someone I've overlooked when it comes to Business Schools well suited to technology? Stanford's my #1, and i'd say Sloan/Berkeley are pretty level 2nd.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Retaw57 wrote:
Bio: 1997, Australian, Engineer, Male

GMAT: 780 (Q 51 / V 46)

Education: Top 250 in the world uni, but nothing glamorous. Course Weighted Average 80% (Approx GPA is somewhere from 3.4-3.7 depending on what you convert with but there's no official GPA used, and Australian marks don't convert easily) Mechatronics Engineering

Full time work Ex - (at time of applying Sep 2021)
1. 1.2 years Technology Strategy and Automation Capability Development for same company as below. Global role looking at multiple initiatives within the business ranging from Machine Automation to Data Analytics, Machine Learning and Decision Automation.
2. 0.7 years as a Graduate Engineer based at a mine for one of the world largest miners and had the chance to work on multiple major initiatives with multi-million dollar impacts.

Part time/Intern ex:
1. 0.25 years full time as an engineering intern at a large mining company in reliabilty engineering.
2. 0.5 years part time internship as an engineering intern at a joint venture between a major networks company, major oil and gas company and govenrnment data authority.

Extra curricular:
School
1. Accumulated 100+ hours of volunteering with many large organisations including Meals on Wheels and Salvation Army.

Undergrad
1. University Leadership Program. Lead organisation of event between 5 people to raise 3.8k through a charity evening for Opportunity International.
The following year, I mentored incoming students to guide their journey in establishing plastic bottle recycling in Western Australia.
2. Volunteered in program addressing Higher Education Access Disadvantage, encouraging students from lower socio-economic areas to consider university or other tertiary education.
3. Volunteer Ambassador for University, helping create a connection for prospective students and enable to discover the right fit for themselves.
4. Volunteered as Treasurer for the university club for my degree, as well as committee member for a cultural club.

After undergrad

Target Schools: Stanford/Sloan/Berkeley/Wharton

Post MBA Goal - Deciding between Management at a Technology firm vs Pursuing my own Start Up Venture in Automation related areas.

The questions I have are -

1. What do I need to build on in the next 12 months to get to those target schools?
2. Coming from the mining industry, does it impact the MBA application? I can say i've not seen many from that industry at all on these forums.
3. What sort of areas will help build the extracurricular area for a school like Stanford?
4. What else can I do to improve my profile?
5. Is there someone I've overlooked when it comes to Business Schools well suited to technology? Stanford's my #1, and i'd say Sloan/Berkeley are pretty level 2nd.

Given your GMAT you will be given consideration, but you will still be on the low side in terms of work experience. I'd say these programs are stretch programs for you. The good news is that of these programs Stanford is probably the most open to taking younger applicants. Being Australian and having mining experience will help you.

To address your questions:
1. Have impact. Make a difference. All these programs, but especially Stanford, want to admit people who will go on to do great things. The chances of that happening are greater if they admit people who have already made a difference. Also, clarify what you want to do with the degree and how you will use the program to prepare yourself to achieve your dreams.
2. yes. it definitely is a less common industry in the applicant pool. However, it's not just about where you're coming from. To get accepted it's going to be about the impact you've had and want to have in the future -- be it in the mining industry or elsewhere.
3. What's important to you? That's where you should devote the time you have available for an EC. If you initiate something, especially for Stanford, and make change or improvement in some area of your community, however you define your community, that would be a wonderful addition to your application, not to mention your community. Stanford's motto is "Change lives. change organizations. Change world." Show them you've already done it, and you show them you belong at Stanford. They want change agents.
4. See above.
5. Also consider CMU Tepper, Cornell Tech, NYU Stern Koo Tech program. UCLA. and Foster.

You might be interested in:

[*]Get Accepted to Stanford GSB, a webinar recording.
[*]Prep for B-School
[*]MBA Admissions: Application Advice for Younger Applicants

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hello, am curious as to what my chances of getting into Stanford GSB are. Thank you in advance for any and all insight.

1. GMAT: 740 (Q48/44V)
2. Undergrad: mid-tier US private university 3.6 GPA, business major
3. Additional coursework: 1 HBS Online course
4. Experience:
3 years Active Duty US Army (will be 4 when class starts)
-1 deployment to the Middle East
-2 roles leading ~ 20 people each time and responsible for $2M/$15M worth of equipment
-by name selected for a third role to deploy in position above rank
5. 26-year-old white male
6. Additional experience/extracurricular:
Student Class Representative while in college
Army ROTC
7. Post MBA Goal
Work in some kind of startup
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bd428 wrote:
Hello, am curious as to what my chances of getting into Stanford GSB are. Thank you in advance for any and all insight.

1. GMAT: 740 (Q48/44V)
2. Undergrad: mid-tier US private university 3.6 GPA, business major
3. Additional coursework: 1 HBS Online course
4. Experience:
3 years Active Duty US Army (will be 4 when class starts)
-1 deployment to the Middle East
-2 roles leading ~ 20 people each time and responsible for $2M/$15M worth of equipment
-by name selected for a third role to deploy in position above rank
5. 26-year-old white male
6. Additional experience/extracurricular:
Student Class Representative while in college
Army ROTC
7. Post MBA Goal
Work in some kind of startup

Hi bd428,

I just replied to you in the HBS thread. What I said there regarding the vagueness of your goal is even more important at Stanford, which has a required essay question devoted to your post-MBA goal.

Your military experience, international exposure, and leadership, like at HBS, will really help you at GSB, but clarify that goal.

Here are a few Stanford GSB resources and one for clarifying goals:

* Why MBA?
* Stanford Essay Tips
* Get Accepted to Stanford GSB, webinar recording.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Hey everyone, just took my GMAT recently so I’m currently looking at my odds for admission in R1 2020.

White male American, 25 years old

Undergrad GPA: 3.85, graduated summa cum laude with dual degrees: BBA Finance and BA Chinese
Attended a Big 12 state school on the cusp of the top 100 in the rankings, was a National Merit Scholarship recipient

GMAT: 730 (48Q 42V)

Work experience: Just over 3 years in sell-side equity research covering tech (will be over 5 years at matriculation). I was promoted from analyst to associate this year, and now as the second-in-command on a three person team, my boss treats my position as the day to day “project manager” with one analyst working under me

Extracurriculars: Actively involved in our department recruiting team, served as team captain for a number of fundraising drives (United Way, United Performing Arts Fund). Part of my state’s top ranked club rugby team, with the team I’ve participated in quite a few community outreach activities, also helped plan and set up the nation’s largest summer rugby tournament.

Goals: Still working on crafting the best impact statement here, since I realize as a white guy in finance I’ll need something that makes me stand out from the pack. My goal is to remain focused on tech investing. Venture capital would be my dream, also open to public equity investing at a hedge fund/mutual fund, potential backup plan is corp dev at a tech company. I understand for Stanford I'll have to go all-in on one plan, and I think my focus for my essay will be on VC since that's such an area of strength for this program.

Other: Passed CFA Level 2, hoping to pass Level 3 next June and be a CFA charterholder at the time of application
Send PM
Expert Reply
trillclinton414 wrote:
Hey everyone, just took my GMAT recently so I’m currently looking at my odds for admission in R1 2020.

Undergrad GPA: 3.85, graduated summa cum laude with dual degrees: BBA Finance and BA Chinese
Attended a Big 12 state school on the cusp of the top 100 in the rankings, was a National Merit Scholarship recipient

Work experience: Just over 3 years in sell-side equity research covering tech (will be over 5 years at matriculation). I was promoted from analyst to associate this year, and now as the second-in-command on a three person team, my boss treats my position as the day to day “project manager” with one analyst working under me

Extracurriculars: Actively involved in our department recruiting team, served as team captain for a number of fundraising drives (United Way, United Performing Arts Fund). Part of my state’s top ranked club rugby team, with the team I’ve participated in quite a few community outreach activities, also helped plan and set up the nation’s largest summer rugby tournament.

Goals: Still working on crafting the best impact statement here, since I realize as a white guy in finance I’ll need something that makes me stand out from the pack. My goal is to remain focused on tech investing. Venture capital would be my dream, also open to public equity investing at a hedge fund/mutual fund, potential backup plan is corp dev at a tech company. I understand for Stanford I'll have to go all-in on one plan, and I think my focus for my essay will be on VC since that's such an area of strength for this program.

Other: Passed CFA Level 2, hoping to pass Level 3 next June and be a CFA charterholder at the time of application

Hi Trillclinton,

Thanks for your post.

You have a competitive profile for Stanford, but so do a lot of people who are rejected. Your essays are going to be decisive. I'm guessing that you have an interesting story between the rugby and Chinese and Big 12 and would love to help you tell it. Highlight initiative, leadership, and impact throughout your application. Stanford wants people who have effected change.

You might be interested in:

Stanford MBA Essay Tips (I realize you are applying next cycle, but Stanford's questions haven't' changed much in years.)
What is Stanford Looking For?
Get Accepted to Stanford GSB, webinar recording

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just submitted my application for R1 and trying to figure out my chances of moving forward. Thanks!

White male American, 20 years old - College Senior (December graduation)

Undergrad GPA: 3.60, cum laude, engineering/entrepreneurship
Attending a non-HYP ivy engineering program.

GMAT: 760 (51Q 42V, 8IR, 5.0AWA)

Work experience: Summer analyst at a hedge fund ($1B+ AUM) with exposure to a lot of deal flow, including leadership of a deal, Founder of a FinTech/Investment Management Company nearing seed funding, Co-Founder of a Consumer Goods Company completing prototyping (patent-pending). Software Engineering Intern at a big tech firm.

Extracurriculars: Co-founder of a student engineering team - sourced funding from the university and helped grow to 30+ members in two years.

Goals: Continual development of my startups (essay focus) potentially VC in the future.

Other: Applying for a one-year deferral (class of 2023)
Send PM
Expert Reply
trillclinton414 wrote:

I just replied to you in the Stanford thread and my response isn't much different. Frankly, your goal will be less important for HBS than for Stanford, so focus more on highlighting your leadership at HBS. As I said there, you have the profile to make you a competitive candidate at HBS, but I'll add here, don't just apply to HBS and Stanford. Apply more broadly. Given your goals also consider Wharton, Booth, CBS, and NYU Stern.

By next year, IMO you'll be in the sweet spot for age/experience.

Best,
Linda
Send PM
Expert Reply
steelwinning wrote:
Just submitted my application for R1 and trying to figure out my chances of moving forward. Thanks!

White male American, 20 years old - College Senior (December graduation)

Undergrad GPA: 3.60, cum laude, engineering/entrepreneurship
Attending a non-HYP ivy engineering program.

GMAT: 760 (51Q 42V, 8IR, 5.0AWA)

Work experience: Summer analyst at a hedge fund ($1B+ AUM) with exposure to a lot of deal flow, including leadership of a deal, Founder of a FinTech/Investment Management Company nearing seed funding, Co-Founder of a Consumer Goods Company completing prototyping (patent-pending). Software Engineering Intern at a big tech firm.

Extracurriculars: Co-founder of a student engineering team - sourced funding from the university and helped grow to 30+ members in two years.

Goals: Continual development of my startups (essay focus) potentially VC in the future.

Other: Applying for a one-year deferral (class of 2023)

Impressive! You have a competitive profile for Stanford GSB's deferred admissions program. You may also want to consider HBS 2+2, however for the HBS you would not start business school before Fall 2022.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thinking of applying in R2

School : 10th - 10/10, 12th : 88%
College : B.E in IT (From a premier college in India) - 7.25 CGPA
GMAT : 750
Work Ex: Currently 2 Years in Wipro as a project Engineer(Total Workex 2 years entirely for wipro, 3 years at joining)
Have worked with remote and mutlicultural teams for clients like Microsoft and Electrolux
Currently working for a different client, in which I lead a team of 8 for a subproduct(Main Product is different).(Decided not to switch companies because of this subproduct.
Co-Curriculars:
Founder of The Earthlings(soon to be legal ngo in around a month): Helped over 450 Burmese refuges in Hyderabad with ration, food, and women wellness. Currently working on rainwater harvesting due
to acute shortage india and next is helping slum children with education.
Part of the logistics team during cultural and technical papers.
Batch Captain for Basketball team in college, won once, 1 time runner up, 2 time quarterfinalist

More : have research paper published regarding networks
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
trillclinton414 wrote:

I just replied to you in the Stanford thread and my response isn't much different. Frankly, your goal will be less important for HBS than for Stanford, so focus more on highlighting your leadership at HBS. As I said there, you have the profile to make you a competitive candidate at HBS, but I'll add here, don't just apply to HBS and Stanford. Apply more broadly. Given your goals also consider Wharton, Booth, CBS, and NYU Stern.

By next year, IMO you'll be in the sweet spot for age/experience.

Best,
Linda

Great, thanks Linda! I know the biggest thing for me will be figuring out how to really convey that "why" factor for each school. I think at this point I'm mainly looking at Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Haas, and McCombs, but with almost a year until I need to apply I'll have plenty of time to further fine-tune that list.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21   
Moderators:
Stanford and Tuck Moderator
57 posts
Stanford and Rotman Moderator
72 posts