It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Boosting my GMAT score!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Boosting my GMAT score! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 09:52
Dear Experts,

I have already given my GMAT exam once and got a 640(Q-44 V-36) last september and I am looking for a 700+ score. I have been giving GMAT Mocks regularly but I cant get to that 700+ score consistently. I have been giving MGMAT and Veritas Prep mocks and getting a variable score pattern from 670 to 700(more on the MGMAT mocks than Veritas) and also not a balanced score(Q-47 and above while V is still in the mid-thirties).
I've been doing too badly on SC and also on RC.
Can you please suggest me some strategies or some important things which I should take note of. I want that elusive high score and getting very tensed with this inconsitent results.

Thanks in advance

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3184 [0], given: 170

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Boosting my GMAT score! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 11:44
Hi koolarijeet,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before taking the Official GMAT (in September)? Have you been studying consistently since then (or have you taken 'time off' in between?)?
2) What study materials have you used?
3) On your CATs, have you taken the FULL CAT each time (with the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 00:00
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi koolarijeet,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before taking the Official GMAT (in September)? Have you been studying consistently since then (or have you taken 'time off' in between?)?
2) What study materials have you used?
3) On your CATs, have you taken the FULL CAT each time (with the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thanks for the reply,

Well I had taken some time off after September and started my prep again from January. I had bought all the MGMAT guides and followed them when I gave the GMAT last time. After that I have also used the Magoosh prep videos. The prep time last time was for 4months. I generally do not give the full CAT exams and exclude the IR and AWA sections. But sometimes I practice with them too.

As far as my goals are concerned, I am planning to take my GMAT anytime soon before May-June so that I can get enough time to prepare for the application as I know its not only the elusive high GMAT score the colleges want. I wish to join a Business School in Fall-2018 so I am planning to have my applications ready when the first round of Applications open in August-September. I want to get admitted in a Ivy league college like Wharton, Yale etc. I know how much tough it is to get admitted in programs offered by those schools and that's why I want to boost my score higher. I am also considering other options in Europe and Asia like INSEAD, HEC. Paris, NUS

I am already working in a firm and have 5 years of work experience if that helps.

Thanks again.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 01:02
GMAT is a very structured exam and is supposed to be accurate by design.
Remember this, whenever you see inconsistency in your score it is because you are not following the process. Whichever test prep. company you are following, they will have there own approach and process towards every type of question. If you follow the approach as taught by your test prep. company you should not see inconsistency in scores rather a linear curve.

Inconsistency happens because you are taking "chances" on too many questions which sometimes work, sometime don't and in official exam definitely won't (this is what your thought process should be).

For SC I can't recommend e-gmat more. I went from 30-40 %ile to 90-100 %ile just by e-gmat SC. It took me time but eventually I got there.

koolarijeet wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have already given my GMAT exam once and got a 640(Q-44 V-36) last september and I am looking for a 700+ score. I have been giving GMAT Mocks regularly but I cant get to that 700+ score consistently. I have been giving MGMAT and Veritas Prep mocks and getting a variable score pattern from 670 to 700(more on the MGMAT mocks than Veritas) and also not a balanced score(Q-47 and above while V is still in the mid-thirties).
Can you please suggest me some strategies or some important things which I should take note of. I want that elusive high score and getting very tensed with this inconsitent results.

Thanks in advance

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 5

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Boosting my GMAT score! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 02:10
koolarijeet wrote:
Dear Experts,

Thanks in advance

Hi, since your target is Ivy league schools, you need to get a really high GMAT score, at least 750+, to have a better chance. However, going from 640 to 700+ is quite hard, and this requires you much attempt. When I read the list of materials you had, the missing piece is OG books, especially Verbal OG books. Have you studied from OG books? I think that the fact that your verbal score is inconsistent means you still dont have a right way to approach verbal questions, especially in SC part. Practicing with OG books is the best way to learn the way questions are made and learn how to approach these questions.

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 05:28
Thanks all for your replies.

I will keep trying hard. I don't know whether I can get into that 750+ mark but I really wanna break the 700 barrier. Lets see what happens.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 12:11
Hi koolarijeet,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, you've been taking shorter, easier Exams that require less effort, so those practice scores are likely not completely accurate. Thus, when you take your future CATs, you MUST make sure to do so in a more realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). I suggest that you take a new CAT (as prescribed) this weekend. We can use that data to define exactly what you need to work on going forward.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 226 [1] , given: 16

WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hi koolarijeet ,

Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas prep practice tests are a notch tougher than the actual GMAT. Manhattan prep tests Quant section is one of the toughest so please do not get disheartened by your score in them. Similarly for Veritas prep test, the scoring algorithm is a bit harsh, so take these scores with a grain of salt. In your GMAT exam you have a good verbal score but a weak quant. If you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further to improve your performance in SC and RC, I would encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 226 [1] , given: 16

Re: Boosting my GMAT score!   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2017, 06:14