Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [2]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GRE 1: Q164 V162
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: Class of 2023 (2021 Intake)! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
aerisen wrote:
Hey guys, random question but maybe there will be someone who knows something about this topic:
I'm an international applicant from Turkey and few years ago I was considering law school in the US so I had LSAC (Law School Admissions Council) review my international undergrad GPA (it's required for intl law school applicants) - it's called the CAS report.
Anyway, my GPA is 2.99/4.0, so when you first look at it, it seems bad but it wasn't for my school and the CAS report gave it an "Above Average" rating as well.
Should I tell this to the CBS AdCom? Would it be helpful? I'm just scared the 2.99 is going to look bad to anyone who doesnt know the schools grading system.

Thank you!!
-A

International GPA conversions are indeed tricky. It’s hard to know what’s actually going on here. Was your GPA “below average” or was your grading scale just that much less forgiving? Grade inflation (especially at top schools) is very real in the U.S. and usually AdComs know this. For instance, top Indian schools and french schools have students graduating in the top decile ranking with cumulative GPA scores in the 60-70/100 range. So the same could also be true for Turkey. What matters more is *where you were on a relative basis* for the rest of your class. Were you in the top quartile? Top decile? Top percentile? If so, say so, and this converted GPA doesn’t really matter much.

Now, if your GPA was objectively poor on a relative basis, then you have two options 1) ignore it and hope that the rest of your app is strong enough to compensate or 2) explain it in the “optional” essay. If you choose the later approach, make sure to “get in and get out quickly” (e.g., my undergraduate performance is not an accurate representation of my potential MBA academic performance because I was working 40 hours/wk to support my family while a full time student OR my parent died while I was in my sophomore year from a long, protracted illness OR I was living away from home for the first time and I had a hard time adjusting to the work/life balance and newfound freedoms of college. This wrecked my freshman year GPA but I improved it meaningfully by the end of my collegiate career). Take ownership of what you learned from the academic underperformance and why it won’t repeat itself in MBA.

If you went to the top-ranked school in your country, CBS will likely have heard of it. Still, there’s no harm in stating “top ranked university in Turkey with #5 ranked physics departments in the world according to the Economist”… or whatever your area of study was in your resume or the comment section of the CBS app.

One way to compensate for less-than-stellar undergraduate GPA is to have good academic credentials outside of your undergraduate transcript to show that you can do well on high-stakes testing (e.g., CPA, CFA, other professional licenses, GRE, GMAT, EA, etc.).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: Class of 2023 (2021 Intake)! [#permalink]
Has anyone who interviewed end August heard back yet?

I interviewed August 30th and I'm yet to hear back.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbaunited2727 wrote:
Has anyone who interviewed end August heard back yet?

I interviewed August 30th and I'm yet to hear back.

From the decision tracker, I see fanfan1247 has recently got an admit from CBS.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi!

I am currently working in a client facing role and was wondering if it would be a good idea to get my second recommendation from a client? My first one would be from a current supervisor and I was wondering if mixing up perspectives might be a good idea.

Any thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Hey - I've reached out to two people from the Hermes society pending responses. How long should I wait before reaching out to someone else? It's been 3 days for the first person and 1 for the second....I'm trying to apply ED so I know I have some time but I do want to connect with at least one person before I submit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GRE 1: Q164 V162
Send PM
Hey! I reached out to 1 last week and she replied within the day - I think you can reach out to one more in 1-2 days if you dont hear back - some of the students are super busy (what I heard from the student I reached out to)
Did you email them via their CBS mail? (that's what I did - that may be the trick)

bringing6eback wrote:
Hey - I've reached out to two people from the Hermes society pending responses. How long should I wait before reaching out to someone else? It's been 3 days for the first person and 1 for the second....I'm trying to apply ED so I know I have some time but I do want to connect with at least one person before I submit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Kudos
A whole lot of dings from CBS. Mostly for people who applied in August.

Could this mean that apps saw a surge? And they filled out quite a few ED spots?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos