Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [8]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 453
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Calling all GMAT Takers who want to cross 700+ in 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Nevernevergiveup,

With your two Official Scores, the bulk of the missing points that you're looking for are clearly going to be found in the Verbal section. These two performances are remarkably similar, which means that you handled both of your attempts at the GMAT in the same general way. You did certain things consistently well, but you also made certain consistent mistakes. GMAC has publicly stated that a Test Taker's Official Score is within +/- 30 points of actual ability, so both of your Official scores are 'in range' of 620. To earn that higher score that you're after, you're going to have to make some fundamental changes to how you handle the Verbal section. If you're just going to continue answering Verbal questions in the same ways that you have been, then you will likely score at the same general level on your next Official GMAT.

1) When is your next GMAT scheduled for?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.52
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Dude, my scores are strikingly similar to yours. I got 590 (48q, 23v) the first time and 640 (50q, 26v) the second time.
I am re-taking it on March 7th. I am going to start preparing from today!
Let's kill this. All the best to others!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I need to get 710 for my target schools.

Originally posted by HKD1710 on 13 Feb 2016, 23:11.
Last edited by HKD1710 on 13 Feb 2016, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I have following study material:

Jamboree Books
Magoosh
Manhattan books
Powerscore CR
RC Grail
Grockit
OG 11,13 and QR 2 & VR 2
GmatClub Tests
I will buy Question pack-1.
I will buy either veritas or manhattan mocks.

Count me in :)

I
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.68
WE:Corporate Finance (Private Equity)
Send PM
Greetings Fellow Test Takers, My first post to GMAT Club forum. I took GMAT few months back and scored 610 despite a rigorous prep using MANHATTAN + OFFICIAL GMAT. Guess need to revamp my strategy this time. I have started solving questions from Veritas Guides and need equal improvement in Quant + Verbal. I see many test takers are studying from Power Score Guides. Are they any good? What other guides/practice material you guys would recommend?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
adamzia wrote:
Greetings Fellow Test Takers, My first post to GMAT Club forum. I took GMAT few months back and scored 610 despite a rigorous prep using MANHATTAN + OFFICIAL GMAT. Guess need to revamp my strategy this time. I have started solving questions from Veritas Guides and need equal improvement in Quant + Verbal. I see many test takers are studying from Power Score Guides. Are they any good? What other guides/practice material you guys would recommend?

This is what i'm following:
Quant:
Take some 200-250 questions from Veritas and practice them to strengthen your foundation, with that you should be capable of solving those questions under 2 mins. Keep practicing until you reach this stage. Then pick any questions from other sources and try to solve them.

Verbal:
Again practice is the key here. NO theory. Keep practicing GMAT's OG Verbal Collections along with any other good materials. As you do this, you will notice some patterns in questions. Maintain an error log for this. Over time, you will some improvements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
Send PM
Kudos
Count me in.
Took the test last fall and ended up scoring 670 (Q 50, V 29)
Need to pass 720 atleast.
My prep is totally focused on Verbal this time.
Done with Solving OG again and Verbal review.
Right now started solving LSAT CR.
Things to follow in following months :
1) GMAT paper tests
2) Veritas CAT
3) Manhattan CAT
4) Magoosh Question bank
5) Review as much as I can.

Please guide me in case you think I can add anything to pass V38.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Warwick Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

One question to all that took the GMAT more than once. Why did you take it in the first place if you were nor OK with the results from the practice sessions. There is no point in just taking official GMAT test before you are in your target score range (30 points the most). So... can somebody explain the reason behind? My first try on a mock test was 610. Totally disappointed, but nobody (apart from me) could see this. Another two months of work, took another simulation and scored 650. Still no good. Another two months of work and scored constantly above 700, which was my target score. So... final day came... sat there and scored 740. But I was so confident that I will score above 700, so that I just gave it the best, without any fear.

Cheers,
Adrian
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
Send PM
addefta wrote:
Hi,

One question to all that took the GMAT more than once. Why did you take it in the first place if you were nor OK with the results from the practice sessions. There is no point in just taking official GMAT test before you are in your target score range (30 points the most). So... can somebody explain the reason behind? My first try on a mock test was 610. Totally disappointed, but nobody (apart from me) could see this. Another two months of work, took another simulation and scored 650. Still no good. Another two months of work and scored constantly above 700, which was my target score. So... final day came... sat there and scored 740. But I was so confident that I will score above 700, so that I just gave it the best, without any fear.

Cheers,
Adrian

Adrian
Many people like me book the test date first and then start their prep.
This not only gives us the motivation, but also let us manage our schedule accordingly.
Obviously we could have postponed the exam by a month(that would cost another 50-60 $ + added anxiety) , but I guess the inner self still wants you to go and take the exam on the given date hoping to reach 700+.
If you are scoring 680-690 on your mocks you would hope to cross 700 on the d Day, but there is always that uncertainty.
Anyways you have a valid point and this time I have decided that until and unless I do not score 720+ on my mocks, I will not book the dates.
Sid
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
addefta wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Adrian

Hi Adrian.
This is a "reconcile the discrepancy" question.
The option that would be the answer might say something like this: THOSE GUYS ACTUALLY USED THE GMAT EXAM AS THEIR PREPARATORY CATS! or FOR THESE GUYS, THE NUMEROUS GMAT EXAM SERVED THE PURPOSE VARIOUS PREP CATS WILL SERVE FOR ADAN WITHOUT WITHOUT OFFERING THEM ANY ECONOMIC MARGIN HAD THEY USED THE CATS.
or even still.
THE GMAT EXAM PROVIDED FOR THOSE GUYS A BETTER REALITY CHECK FOR THE EXAM THAN THAT WHICH ANY CAT WOULD PROVIDE.
finally
THE NUMBER OF GMATs YOU TAKE DOES NOT COUNT IN YOUR APPLICATION, RATHER YOUR HIGHEST SCORE DOES.

Adrian all of the above can be used as the CORRECT answer to that discrepancy question you threw at us.
Uhhmm, me I wouldnt prep to take GMAT twice.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi guys,

I'll be appearing my exam on April 15th and this is my 1st attempt. Kindly include me also. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Warwick Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
282552 wrote:
addefta wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Adrian

Adrian
Many people like me book the test date first and then start their prep.
This not only gives us the motivation, but also let us manage our schedule accordingly.
Obviously we could have postponed the exam by a month(that would cost another 50-60 $ + added anxiety) , but I guess the inner self still wants you to go and take the exam on the given date hoping to reach 700+.
If you are scoring 680-690 on your mocks you would hope to cross 700 on the d Day, but there is always that uncertainty.
Anyways you have a valid point and this time I have decided that until and unless I do not score 720+ on my mocks, I will not book the dates.
Sid

All valid reasons. But, a school will see ALL your GMAT results for the past five years. Can you take the chance for your dream school to see that you sat the exam three times and scored low on first two attempts? Yes, this shows determination... but it is still better to sit it only once and get your target score. In my view.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5