Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 07:45 It is currently 08 May 2024, 07:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: How to go from 700 to 750? [#permalink]
WhiteKnight8 wrote:
Hi guys, I finally took the GMAT last week after months of on-off preparation. Got serious in September and diligently studied everyday for 60 days.

Consistently got between 690-720 on the official GMATPrep mocks (1-5. But the issue was the variation on my Q and V individual scores.

Q range: 45-49
V range: 39-42

Actual GMAT Test Score last week: 700 Q49 V37
I was pretty confident of my Verbal skills but was disappointed. It's technically not a bad overall score, but I'm aiming for a 750.

Can you guys recommend a plan of action and resources, as to how I can consistently hit the Q50 range and improve my Verbal to a V42/43.(I don't have a specific weak area in Verbal, but long RCs mess up my timing, as they did on this test).

I plan to take a month off and then get back to prep. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

May I know what materials do you use for both quant and verbal part right now?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi WhiteKnight8,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you'll "need" your Score - is a smart choice. With this 700, you're actually closer to a 750+ than you probably realize, but you're going to have to make some fundamental changes to how you "see" (and respond to) BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections before you can get to the point that you can consistently score at that higher level.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 700 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies. In addition, while the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion) - so you can use CATs from any of those sources during this next phase of your studies.

1) Assuming that you would probably need another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study - going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Nice post.
GMAT Club Bot